• Total Posts : 448
2013/03/02 00:52:19 (permalink)

10 Must Eats at Reading Terminal Market

http://www.philly.com/phi...nal.html?viewGallery=y

14 Replies Related Threads

pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:10 Must Eats at Reading Terminal Market 2013/03/02 09:10:17 (permalink)
    acer2x, thx for the site, I'll be there in June I may see if I can sleep at the Reading Terminal so I can catch all of these.............I'm looking forward to the Roast Pork at DiNic's.........I'm still seeking out who has the best Roast pork hoagie...........I think the RT will be a good place for my family to order three different meals from different stands.  after that a dessert kicker of cookies and ice cream that will cover 5 at one shot...........thx again.......now for the 13 best in Az, I'll be there in a few weeks.........
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10329
    Re:10 Must Eats at Reading Terminal Market 2013/03/02 14:17:11 (permalink)
    pnwchef
    acer2x, thx for the site, I'll be there in June I may see if I can sleep at the Reading Terminal so I can catch all of these.............I'm looking forward to the
    Roast Pork at DiNic's.........I'm still seeking out who has the best Roast pork hoagie...........I think the RT will be a good place for my family to order three different meals from different stands.  after that a dessert kicker of cookies and ice cream that will cover 5 at one shot...........thx again.......now for the 13 best in Az, I'll be there in a few weeks.........

The only thing missing from the list is the best place for SCRAPPLE!!! 
    CHEF -
    RE: Arizona
    I think we loaded you up on another thread, but if you need more, just holler!
    Here's some of "The Best Of" lists:
    http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/bestof/2012/section/food-and-drink-896131/
    http://www.phoenixmag.com/best-of-the-valley/food-and-restaurants/
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/lb/22/best-restaurants-Phoenix

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:10 Must Eats at Reading Terminal Market 2013/03/05 10:00:30 (permalink)
    On my last visit to Philly, we stayed at the Marriott that is basically next to the Reading Terminal. They were having an Amish Festival. My son rode a hayride around the Terminal.

We had breakfast every day at the Dutch Eating Place. We Loved the Market! I wanted to do more, but the market is in City Center, and the touristy stuff is away from there - and since we were staying in a hotel, didn't make sense to buy foods at the market since we had no fridge in our standard room. But, it was a great experience. We did grab some items for a picnic at a park, and that was nice.

We recently moved from DC to Anne Arundel County, and while we were between houses (2-1/2 weeks!) We discovered the Dutch Farmer's Market in Annapolis, complete with a restaurant just like the one at Reading Terminal. We love it! 
    pnwchef
    Re:10 Must Eats at Reading Terminal Market 2013/03/05 10:37:44 (permalink)
    Scorereader:..The marriott sounds like a good place, I know the family would like the Market. I like the idea of everyone having a choice for eating, for me it's like having your cake and eat it too. I also like being away for the tourist areas.............if you think of any foods that stuck out in your mind, let me know..............Thx....Bill

Foodbme: Thx for posting the sites, I know I saked you on another site. I'm just checking to see if anything has changed.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:10 Must Eats at Reading Terminal Market 2013/03/05 17:21:23 (permalink)
    There's a self guided mural tour of City Center, and it's great. Philly is the mural capital. And it's not just murals, mozaics and mixed media.

I can't recall specific items, we just picked up cheeses, meats, fruit, assorted items. A Hot dog wrapped in a pretzel for my son. I've been low-carbing for a while, so, while we bought some breads, I can't tell you anything about them because I stuck to the low carb foods, like the cheeses and meats.

We enjoyed b'fast at the Dutch restaurant. It's a market must do. But, all those sandwiches (subs and such) that are part of the must-do list in that link, I didn't eat.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1742
    Re:10 Must Eats at Reading Terminal Market 2013/03/06 08:41:50 (permalink)
    Appreciate the mentions.  It's been way too long since I've been into RT!
    pnwchef
    Re:10 Must Eats at Reading Terminal Market 2013/03/06 10:28:42 (permalink)
    Scorereader

There's a self guided mural tour of City Center, and it's great. Philly is the mural capital. And it's not just murals, mozaics and mixed media.

I can't recall specific items, we just picked up cheeses, meats, fruit, assorted items. A Hot dog wrapped in a pretzel for my son. I've been low-carbing for a while, so, while we bought some breads, I can't tell you anything about them because I stuck to the low carb foods, like the cheeses and meats.

We enjoyed b'fast at the Dutch restaurant. It's a market must do. But, all those sandwiches (subs and such) that are part of the must-do list in that link, I didn't eat.

Scorereader: Thx for the info, there are many times we skip breakfast and go right to a very early morning lunch. Thats how we have room for those sandwiches, subs and things........I like the idea of staying near the RT, when traveling with a12 yr old we have different tastes, this way I can have my Roadfood picks and the 12 yr old could have her whatever to keep her happy....................I'm 3000 miles away from this kind of food, I need to get my fill while I'm there....................thx again...................pnwc
    strongy78
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:10 Must Eats at Reading Terminal Market 2013/03/07 01:31:28 (permalink)
    How about Bassetts?   Its only been around since oh...say....1861!  Their ice cream is delicious!  Millers Twist for a pretzel?   If I could only get 3 things there it would be 4th street cookies, some ice cream at Bassetts and a soft pretzel from Millers Twist.  I had a DiNics sandwich and thought it was overrated.  Good but not great.
    ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1022
    Re:10 Must Eats at Reading Terminal Market 2013/06/22 10:02:41 (permalink)
    For me no trip to the RTM is complete without a cannoli from Termini Bros.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:10 Must Eats at Reading Terminal Market 2013/06/26 13:01:55 (permalink)
    pnwchef

acer2x, thx for the site, I'll be there in June I may see if I can sleep at the Reading Terminal so I can catch all of these.............I'm looking forward to the Roast Pork at DiNic's.........I'm still seeking out who has the best Roast pork hoagie...........I think the RT will be a good place for my family to order three different meals from different stands.  after that a dessert kicker of cookies and ice cream that will cover 5 at one shot...........thx again.......now for the 13 best in Az, I'll be there in a few weeks.........
    When you say roast pork hoagie, do you mean with lettuce, tomato, mayo (that may be a Washington D.C. thing to say 'hoagie' when adding LTM to a sandwich) or just the roast pork like at DiNics?

I liked the one at Tony Luke's best.

John's Roast Pork was also excellent.

+1 moe on Termini Bros!

Tront1812
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:10 Must Eats at Reading Terminal Market 2013/06/26 14:47:29 (permalink)
    DiNiks is a must. I have eaten at every single booth at the market and yes they are all great but DiNiks with provolone and broccoli rabe with the pickled peppers are the best in the market.

followed by Bassetts ice cream which is so creamy and rich... Im about to drive there for a sandwich and ice cream now...J/K im an hour and a half away.
    Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    Re:10 Must Eats at Reading Terminal Market 2013/06/26 18:57:38 (permalink)
    My wife's in Philly for the National Home Brewers Conference and posted a picture of her DeNics pork and rabe sandwich yesterday. She said she really liked it. Now, I've just got to make my way to Philly to try it.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:10 Must Eats at Reading Terminal Market 2013/07/24 02:07:45 (permalink)
    ChrisOC

For me no trip to the RTM is complete without a cannoli from Termini Bros.

I saw those, I almost broke my low-carb diet for them. My wife kept oohing and ahhing as she ate it.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:10 Must Eats at Reading Terminal Market 2013/07/24 02:13:46 (permalink)
    BTW - We went to Philly last weekend to take my son to the Please Touch Museum. We ate at their cafe. I had a delightful mediterranean salad complete with feta, roasted red peppers, kalmata olives, red onion, grilled chicken, etc. The chicken was not dry in the least, I totally enjoyed the salad. My wife enjoyed her Thai noodles. Usually museum food blows in these "cafe's", but this children's museum's institutionally, stark looking cafe actually produced some decent food options. So, if you have little ones, don't worry about bringing picnic food when visiting this museum/play center.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1