The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

100 CULT RESTAURANTS ...

wheregreggeats.com

100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Sun, 11/21/10 7:55 AM (permalink)
Link provided without comment:
http://www.poortastemag.c...nts-in-america-top-20/

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
    Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Sun, 11/21/10 8:42 AM (permalink)
    Cool link.  Thanks.

Holly Moore

Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Sun, 11/21/10 9:11 AM (permalink)
      Nice list. As wrong as it is right like most such lists.

I have a bit of the problem with the term "cult." Most of the places in the list are well known and widely popular.  I see a cult restaurant more as a cult movie or even a cult cult. No mass appeal. Rather a unique restaurant, maybe even a tad quirky, with a dedicated but not massive following.

On my list - places like Charlie's Pool Room, Philadelphia's Taconelli's pizza, Charleston's Bowen's Island, Providence's Haven Brother's Diner - those sorts of places. 

seafarer john

Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Sun, 11/21/10 11:43 AM (permalink)
        Holly's got it right. A cult joint may be marginally successful, serve quirky food, in a unique manner, and hang in there on a relatively small group of people who find the place to their taste. 

The 100 places listed, only a few of which I've ever visited, and with mixed results, are mostly local favorites with a large added tourist contingent, and considerable nation-wide recognition - just as the authors described their criteria. But, they are hardly cult joints - places kept semi-secret among their followers.

Cheers, John 

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6224
          Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Sun, 11/21/10 12:15 PM (permalink)
          Pretty much a coast to coast flyover with an occasional stopover in Chicago, maybe a perusal of the Stern's Roadfood books and cull from the cable TV food shows list. If they were truly cult they might not even be recognizable to get on a list. But hey, listings are always interesting to read and maybe follow up on.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1932
            Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Sun, 11/21/10 12:21 PM (permalink)
            Very good link, thank you. 

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
              Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Sun, 11/21/10 1:35 PM (permalink)
              Definitely can't be a good list as I've been to four out of twenty.  I never seem to go to places on the good lists so it has to be faulty.

There are even two listed in Los Angeles that I haven't even heard of.

I'm so out of it!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Sun, 11/21/10 1:36 PM (permalink)
                Holly,
                You're Spot On !  Add Lynn's Paradise Cafe in Louisville to that group you started.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4076
                  Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Sun, 11/21/10 2:39 PM (permalink)
                  It should be noted that Roadfood's very own Biker Jim's Gourmet Hot Dog's in Denver came in at number 30.

Congratulations Jim!

Now that you're a cult, when can we expect the Kool-Aid to be served?

Buddy

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                    Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Mon, 11/22/10 3:47 PM (permalink)
                    Neat list!

Biker Jim's is #30. And yes, Congrats Jim!
                    Joe

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                      Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Mon, 11/22/10 4:08 PM (permalink)
                      Just one more list to argue about! Did see some good ones on there tho.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
                        Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Mon, 11/22/10 4:15 PM (permalink)
                        Unfortunately, I have to agree with DavidB the poster who slammed Dallas.

kaszeta

Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Tue, 11/23/10 9:12 AM (permalink)
                          I can't complain too much.  I've been to most of the top 20.  Some are really good (Bianco, in particular) and IMHO worth the hype.  Some are overhyped, but undoubtedly popular (I'll put Pink's in this category... the major attraction for me is that they are open late).   Some are the sorts of places that some will love and some will hate.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                            Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Sat, 11/27/10 5:31 PM (permalink)
                            Thanks for the link!  I've eaten at a number of them and all were quite tasty.  And, I'm sure we all have a candidate or two to add to the list, so here's mine:  Marios Pizza House, Arlington, VA.

douginvirginia

• Total Posts: 462
                              Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Sun, 11/28/10 7:53 AM (permalink)
                              MetroplexJim

Thanks for the link!  I've eaten at a number of them and all were quite tasty.  And, I'm sure we all have a candidate or two to add to the list, so here's mine:  Marios Pizza House, Arlington, VA.

Jim,
                              I am happy to report that Marios is still going strong with Joe and Lefty at the helm.

Lefty had "retired" a few years back because the owner would not let him work a reduced schedule. However, the customer uproar was so strong, the owner relented and he returned to man the flattop. As ever, he continues to execute at the same amazing pace, rarely turning around except to take an order from a non-regular.

Joe is still at the register and dishing out the slices and drinks.

These two amazing men each have 50+ years of service.

buffetbuster

Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Sun, 11/28/10 8:45 AM (permalink)
                                I waited in line last night for almost an hour at #28, Phil's BBQ in San Diego.  While the ribs were fine, they sure weren't worth waiting in line for.  The popularity speaks more to the dearth of good bbq in San Diego than anything else.  

GeoNit

• Total Posts: 378
                                  Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Tue, 02/22/11 12:52 PM (permalink)
                                  Cult restaurant:
                                  Wherever Peter Chang is firing up his wok . . .
                                  http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/03/01/100301fa_fact_trillin
                                  http://www.oxfordamerican.org/articles/2010/feb/24/todd-kliman-chases-perfect-chef/#
                                  Today, you may find him here:
                                  http://www.petertasty2.com/index.html
                                  Tomorrow … next week … next month …. who knows?

MiamiDon

Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Tue, 02/22/11 7:19 PM (permalink)
                                    Well, I've been to Phillipe's and Pinks.
                                    They're pretty tourist popular, so I don't know why they would be cult.

update: I read the rest of the top 100.

I've been to Katz's and Cafe du Monde, too.  Same thought.
                                    <message edited by MiamiDon on Fri, 02/25/11 3:20 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9565
                                      Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Wed, 02/23/11 4:52 PM (permalink)
                                      By definition a Cult is a small, loyal group. Many of the places listed are much bigger than what would be considered a cult restaurant. Places like Pinks, Phillipe's, Ben's Chili, Roscoes, Grimaldi's and others that have received millions of dollars in free publicity and PR, while popular and are highly recognizable do not qualify as Cult Restaurants. Many of those on the list will cease being cult restaurants as soon as the masses start going there to see what all the fuss is about!

smokestack lightning

• Total Posts: 301
                                        Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Wed, 02/23/11 5:03 PM (permalink)
                                        Foodbme

By definition a Cult is a small, loyal group. Many of the places listed are much bigger than what would be considered a cult restaurant. Places like Pinks, Phillipe's, Ben's Chili, Roscoes, Grimaldi's and others that have received millions of dollars in free publicity and PR, while popular and are highly recognizable do not qualify as Cult Restaurants. Many of those on the list will cease being cult restaurants as soon as the masses start going there to see what all the fuss is about!

Well, no. Standard dictionary defs of cult do not limit them to a small number of members.

they include:

1. : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
                                        2. the object of such devotion
                                        3.  a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

The defs do not limit it a small number except to point out that "usually"...

Seems these cult restaurants are indeed cults according to these three defs.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                                          Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Thu, 02/24/11 1:32 AM (permalink)
                                          I've eaten at 3 of these:  El Farolito, Tartine and Ippudo.  IMHO El Farolito is a solid Taqueria, good but not really that much of a standout.  Tartine is kind of an "only in SF" thing--sort of a Starbucks with a celebrity pastry chef which makes for a fine place for afternoon coffee (or tea) with a snack but that's just not something I want to do every day.  Ippudo, on the other hand, really is special (with prices to match).  I have to say it really probably did provide the best ramen I've ever had.

Strict definitions aside, when I think "cult" I think weirdly different; something like this:  http://www.yelp.com/biz/asia-sf-san-francisco

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                                            Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Fri, 02/25/11 1:03 AM (permalink)
                                            I've eaten at two of these places, but have heard of the following & congrats to Biker Jim!!!

1, eaten at! 9, 11, 15, 21, 30, 36, 40, 43, 50, 52, eaten at, food poisoning! 54, 58, 61, 69, 78, 83, 92, 97—can’t remember if I heard about this or just dreamt about it.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
                                              Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Fri, 02/25/11 12:45 PM (permalink)
                                              Had dinner at #99  http://www.poortastemag.c...nts-in-america-76-100/

the other night.

I'm quite liking Korean food.

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                                                Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Sun, 02/27/11 9:57 PM (permalink)
                                                Hello all ,
                                                I  would not call these places on the list cult like places . Most if not all are widely succesful with a big local and tourist following .
                                                Congrats to Biker Jim for making the list . !!
                                                Now any list of cult like status  food joints that does not include Charlies Pool Room in Alpha NJ is clearly not paying attention !!
                                                A few on the list were really good that I have been to
                                                Crifs Dogs and Pomme Frites in NYC
                                                I liked Grimaldis in Brooklyn , but my partner did not care for it .
                                                A few others are overrated .
                                                Benzee

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3577
                                                  Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Tue, 03/1/11 4:32 PM (permalink)
                                                  Went to Phillipe's again last week. Don't know if I would call it a cult restaurant----but it was good as always!
                                                  Yes, Mar52, I agree. I'm eating a lot more Korean myself these days. Yummy, good variety----and fresh!

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                                                    Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Wed, 03/2/11 2:28 PM (permalink)
                                                    buffetbuster

I waited in line last night for almost an hour at #28, Phil's BBQ in San Diego.  While the ribs were fine, they sure weren't worth waiting in line for.  The popularity speaks more to the dearth of good bbq in San Diego than anything else.  

BBQ, San Diego = Huffmans

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                                                      Re:100 CULT RESTAURANTS ... Sun, 06/5/11 9:43 AM (permalink)
                                                      douginvirginia

MetroplexJim

Jim,
                                                      I am happy to report that Marios is still going strong with Joe and Lefty at the helm.

Lefty had "retired" a few years back because the owner would not let him work a reduced schedule. However, the customer uproar was so strong, the owner relented and he returned to man the flattop. As ever, he continues to execute at the same amazing pace, rarely turning around except to take an order from a non-regular.

Joe is still at the register and dishing out the slices and drinks.

These two amazing men each have 50+ years of service.

That's great.  I visited DC in June/July of 2009 after being gone for four years and Lefty still knew my order: 1/2 steak & cheese with grilled onions & shrooms.  Adding two slices from Joe: BBQ & pep, I was in Heaven.  Of course I ate at the picnic tables in order to enjoy this pig-out at its fresh best.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com