Hot!11th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 13th , 2014 - past trip reports

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 16 of 43
Author
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1873
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/17 15:26:12 (permalink)
Harriet ,
This past spring we had the 1st Annual Hudson Valley Hot Dog Tour and carpooled like the first Jersey Dog Tour .
We visited Coney Island Restaurant in Middletown NY , also our starting point .
Richs Hot Dog House - Middletown
Petes Hot Dogs - Newburgh
Newburgh Lunch - "
Worlds Best Hot Dogs "
and Texas Lunch in Wallkill
also the "Drury Lane" Hot Dog Truck .
We plan on organizing a similar trip again next April or May with a bus and a few added locations north of Newburgh .
Hot Dog King has some great ideas for stops in Kingston , so keep an eye out for that one .

We also plan on a smaller mini meet / tour to west jersey . Charlies Pool Room is a must and we will be setting this up also . Possibly late October /November with a 10 pass. van .

Another mini meet we schedule is at Coney Island Rest. in middletown NY .
Attendees have included
Benzee , CI Lou , John Fox , Screenbear, Seafarer John , Brooklyn Bill , Ken 5058 , Akavar, Walt among others . We can do that one with little notice .

Keep an eye out for for theese future trips and meets .

I'm actually trying to shore up next years dates this or next week . Nothing like planning ahead !!

I beleive the site has gotten a lot of positive publicity , although not and "official Roadfood Tour" like the Sterns run , we have mentioned where most of us met online and have only spoke of wonderful things about the site.

Did I say all the reports were great ?

Benzee
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10083
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/17 15:38:32 (permalink)
Wow! It really looks like an amazing time. I am going to do everything possible to attend the next time you have one. Please let us know when you have the next date.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/17 19:59:24 (permalink)
Hey everyone,
I'm just throwing this idea out, but would there be any interest in a Monmouth/Ocean county mini tour? Besides Max's and the Windmill, there are some other good hot dog places in the area.

Just a thought.

Dave
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/17 19:59:43 (permalink)
Benzee, I don't think you can say anymore than that!

Yes, I was thinking of an Upper Hudson Valley Hot Dog Tour, this would include the following:

1. Tommy's Hot Dog truck on Rte. 32 north, Tillson. Serves a Sabrett 8/1 n/c with various toppings including a baked bean and slaw dog.
2. Lickers Ice Cream and Texas Weiners, Kinston. The main item here is ice cream and coffee however the owner has a thing for hot dogs like some other people around here. I thought they were ok but I'll let everyone else be the judge.
3. Dallas Hot Weiners II, Broadway, Kinston. There are three in the area, all owned by the same family. This one has easier parking.

Hop on the NYS Thruway north to Troy NY to check out:
4. Gus's Hot Dogs
5. Hot Dog Charlies
6. Famous Lunch

All three (4, 5 and 6) serve the infamous 3" n/c hot dogs par-boiled and then griddled. Each one has a special chili sauce which can be purchased in jars if one wishes. Hot Dog Charlies is a bit spicier than most, similar to Father and Son.
The three are also very close to each other. The Troy Pork Store, open since 1920, is just around the corner from Famous Lunch.

Everyone... let me know what you think.

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1587
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/17 20:52:49 (permalink)
<<Hop on the NYS Thruway north to Troy NY to check out:
4. Gus's Hot Dogs
5. Hot Dog Charlies
6. Famous Lunch

All three (4, 5 and 6) serve the infamous 3" n/c hot dogs par-boiled and then griddled. Each one has a special chili sauce which can be purchased in jars if one wishes. Hot Dog Charlies is a bit spicier than most, similar to Father and Son.
The three are also very close to each other. The Troy Pork Store, open since 1920, is just around the corner from Famous Lunch.

Everyone... let me know what you think.>>

I would definately be up for an Albany/Troy tour (with stops on the way). In fact I mentioned the idea to a couple of people on the NJ Tour without much response. A few times a year I take off by myself on a 2 day hot dog/pizza/brewpub/local food tour. Connecticut or Albany are the 2 areas that I've been considering for my next trip. So if there's a possibilty of a tour to Albany I would wait for that and do CT first. Previous trips in the past year have been to Old Forge/Williamsport and Harrisburg Pa so I want to head north or east this time. ---Ken (NJ)
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/17 21:02:46 (permalink)
I like the idea of hot dog joints and breweries/brew pubs for a tour and I think the capitol district has posibilities. Can someone in the area give us some ideas of what's there in terms of brews?

Cheers, John
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/17 21:13:18 (permalink)
DPuro239, Ken8038 and Seafarer John,
I am interested in both the Southern New Jersey area and Connecticut tour.

As for the brewery tour, we could always start off in New Paltz at the Guilded Otter

Hot Dog King

mspecian
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/18 01:48:54 (permalink)
More photos from the tour are available on my website:

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~mspecian/pictures/events.htm

The tour was a great way to spend a Saturday, even if my gastrointestinal tract will never be the same...
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 329
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/18 13:56:58 (permalink)
It looks like it was a great trip! I was not able to join, but will try to make the next one.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/18 17:12:09 (permalink)
OK. Guilded Otter for a beer and forget the food, then on to Kngston for a hot dog at Dallas and a visit to Killigan brewery and maybe a sandwich, then???

Cheers, John
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/19 03:00:06 (permalink)
Ellen, thanks for the kind words, the photos, and the great report.
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1873
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/19 08:14:58 (permalink)
Hello all ,
Mspecian those are some great photos you have added thanks again .
We would like to organize another Hudson valley Tour for April next year .
Middletown , Newburgh , Kingston and perhaps finish it off at Seafaerer Johns favorite place the Guilded Otter in New Paltz ?
John will be in contact with Charlies Pool Room this week to see if they will open for us on a Sunday for a mini meet / and greet . Plans are in the works for a Sat or Sun trip leaving from Galloping Hill Inn to Charlies Pool Room . We would make it a meet and greet and possibly visit one or two others in the area .
I have a 10 pass executive van that would be at our disposal for those that would like transportation from GHI .
Possibly first or second week in Nov .

DPuro ,
Put together a list of the places in your area we could visit besides Maxs and Windmill

Signman ,
Did I congratulate you on coming the longest distance for the tour , if not I do and if I did well thanks again for coming it is always a pleasure to see you .

Ivyhouse and Buffetmaster
The trip will be either the second or third Sat in sept next year . I will let everyone know before the end of this year so attendees can plan vacation time for 08 accordingly. Should know in a week or two .

Benzee
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/19 09:10:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

OK. Guilded Otter for a beer and forget the food, then on to Kngston for a hot dog at Dallas and a visit to Killigan brewery and maybe a sandwich, then???

Cheers, John

John,
Sounds good to me, we should jump on the Thruway after that and head north to Troy. There are five to six places there that serve Helmbolds brand dogs and various tasting chili sauces. We could visit the Helmbolds store as well as Troy Pork store.
As for when, I figured I would let everyone settle down from the New Jersey tour and let others catch up on the reading in here.

Folks, don't be shy, as everyone mentions... you will have fun on all the tours.
BadDog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/19 09:29:44 (permalink)
Hi All!

I am no longer a NJ Hot Dog Tour virgin! Sorry for the late post. I hate it when work gets in the way of important stuff!
What a great time I had! I want to extend my sincere thanks for the all the hard work of Benzee, John Fox , S.I. Lou and everyone else to make this happen. The quality of the dogs I ate was only exceeded by the people I met on this journey (Of course, I didn’t meet EVERYBODY but I’ll give you others the benefit of the doubt)!
Special thanks to all those folks that took pictures of me from behind and reminded me just how big my bald spot is!

My overall opinion of these dogs was that they were all delicious! They went down faster than an Idaho senator!

Anyway on to the places-

Galloping Hill-
As my warm up for this event, I got a plain dog with mustard. I have to say, least impressive of the group for me. I echo everybody’s sentiments that the bun really took away from what could have been a good dog. It just kind of got lost in the roll. This was the least friendly service of the day…not unfriendly-- just not friendly.

Jimmy Buff’s-
I had my stomach set for an Italian Dog but after hearing John’s description of the footlong and JB’s chili sauce, I knew what I had to do- I got a single Italian and a footlong with chili! The Italian was great—potatoes done perfectly, crisp on the outside with a nice mix of peppers and onions. The footlong by itself was a marvelous dog! I like that they give you the chili on the side so you can dress to your preference. It IS bolognese sauce though—not chili in my book, but tasty and different. I need to go back to try the other dogs I missed this time around. Buff’s gets my “smart businessman” award for the tour- who wouldn’t have fond memories of a place that gives you free beer?

Papaya King-

Really friendly staff and a tasty dog. I got two plain and added mustard. Nice bite to the dogs. Unlike others, I enjoyed the papaya drink—what else could you have at Papaya King? Fantastic touch giving us T-shirts! Can’t wait to wear it!

Libby’s Lunch-
One of my first jobs was collecting money in Paterson and the vicinity so I had to chuckle when I heard someone behind me say, as we were passing through the neighborhood, “There are bars on the windows! Where are they taking us???” I opted for the extra-large texas weiner. For .15 more, you get a much bigger dog- what a deal! I like the way they did the dog. Good flavor and the chili was different from Buff’s (no surprise there). It’s what I would call the classic texas weiner. I WANT TO GO BACK!

Father & Son-
This was my favorite of the tour. I love hot food so I really enjoyed the chili. Little bit of a kick and a lot of flavor. I bought a quart of the chili to take home. The G&W dog was different than I’ve had before. I went back for a second chili dog even though I was reaching capacity at this point. I can’t think of anything I didn’t like here. The best thing is, it’s the closest place to my home! I’ll be back!

Manny’s-
Love this place! Really nice touches with the welcome sign and extremely friendly staff. I had the texas “Up.” If Manny’s stop had come before Father & Son, I would have had two dogs here. As it turned out, it was the perfect way to wind up this ride.

All I want to know is if there is still room on the bus for next year!

Doug
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13477
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/19 11:08:51 (permalink)
Sounds like some of you folks would be competition for the Black Widow and the Japanese guy for consumption of hot dogs.

Two is my limit and I read where some were getting some dogs to much on.

Great pics and I think these get togethers are great and that is what makes Roadfood even more fun.

Coming up is Autumal Equinox and that means that it is five months until the Glee Club gets together for its fifth year. This year it will be in Mobile, AL.

Previous trips have been a couple of times to Lexington, TN, Memphis and KY for BBQ. I guess this year it will be more BBQ plus some good seafood.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/19 18:10:56 (permalink)
The Thruway from Kingston to Troy isan awful long way between beers and hotdogs; is,nt there any place between Kingston and Troy where we could stop?

Cheers, John
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/19 21:30:19 (permalink)
I promised a couple of guys from Pennsylvania, while on the tour, that I would post info on "all American" type meals available in Newburgh, NY. Here's my report: (limited to the riverfront area) there are nine restaurants on the Hudson riverfront;
Gully's - a beer and hamburger joint on a big old steel barge;
Big Easy Bistro, oysters, shrimp, crab, andouille, etc. - casual.
Wood Fired Oven Pizza, upscale pizza, wine and beer.
Samovar, a coffee and goodies shop (looks nice, I've never been).
River Grill, big menu- steaks and roasts to sandwiches and soups. Nice patio on the river for a warm evening, also extensive indoor seating. We had lunch there on Tuesday - something quasi-Mexican,and a salad with duck breasts - both entrees very nice.
Cena 2000, Italian, upscale- never been there.- nice patio and a lot of room inside.
Torches, the place with the aquarium, big, nice patio, lots of indoors space, big bar, OK food, ordinary steaks, sandwiches, some seafood.
Blue Martini, a bar with snacks???
Havana, new to us, dont know???

If you drive to the foot of Broadway, you must make a left or right. We suggest you take the right, drive one block, turn left, cross over the RR tracks, and turn left again, after about a 1/4 mile you will be on restaurant row (on your left is a little wine shop that is worth a visit if you are interested in getting aquainted with Hudson Valley wine).

Let me know how your visit works out,

Cheers, John
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/20 06:52:53 (permalink)
FYI, The video is up at www.njmyway.com
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2327
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/20 07:47:10 (permalink)
How was it? Unfortunately, I'm not able to view it on my computer or the one at the library.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/20 08:15:47 (permalink)
I am unable to view the video, as well.
BadDog
Junior Burger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/20 09:13:05 (permalink)
I checked out the video...I don't think it will be winning an Emmy, but it was cute. My left arm and sleeve was featured in one scene--if anybody wants autographs, let me know.

Doug
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/20 09:38:55 (permalink)
John:The whole thing is like 57 seconds long. It's professionally done, though. This will sound weird, but did you hit "play"? It didn't start playing for me automatically. If there's a way for me to save it, I'll try to, and send it to you if you want. Maybe something with your settings.

Doug:I wish people had gone around and introduced themselves to the general group, because I knew very few people. Which one are you?

When I get the film in my still-old fashioned camera developed (digital is in the works for December absolutely), I'll post the link to the set on my flickr.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 749
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/20 11:11:14 (permalink)
If anyone remembers, I was shooting video along with my stills during the trip. I was successful in downloading it on my DVR recorder/burner! So if anyone wants a copy of the slideshow with the video portions, just shoot me an email! It really came out cool!
BadDog
Junior Burger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/20 11:46:55 (permalink)
Harriet,

I was the classy guy with the black t-shirt and tan shorts. I'm all the way to the left in the Papaya King group pic.
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/20 12:35:28 (permalink)
I was the one who asked you about your tan, Doug. I never see the sun anymore.
Fontaine
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/20 14:01:35 (permalink)
I just wanted to add my two dogs worth that this was a great trip, as described by others on this board.

What I learned was the difference between hot dogs. In too many places in the Lehigh Valley of PA (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton) the only difference between dogs is what is put on top of them.

Also, I sat near Benzee at Libby's Lunch and heard him order his dog well done. This is a good general idea, since too many places do not cook them long enough and they taste greasy.

I have to mention Pete's Hot Dogs at 400 Broadway on the South Side of Bethlehem PA, which has been there for 70 years or so. There is a competitor across the street, and there used to be two places across the street right next to each other. Pete's was the first place I ever had chili cheese fries. The hamburgers used to be (and for all I know still are) steamed in water instead of cooked on the grill.

ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/21 13:16:59 (permalink)
hi again all,
miss my "hot dog tour" buddies already!

My computer has been broken , (it ran too HOT; burned out the power) but I still have some more good pics to put in my "hot dog tour" report...

I'll finish my official report from my sisters computer when I go up there Sat. night....
my pics are also stored on that computer...(till I can get mine back to life!)

(and I'm a "trip report" behind ,as I still want to do my Syracuse NY State Fair Labor Day weekend report...)

looking forward to more hot dog tours, mini-meets, Nashville type tours, etc, etc...

fondly,
ellen
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/21 14:38:55 (permalink)
Ellen,
Did you have a chance to try any Hofmann's dogs? They are popular in the Syracuse, NY area.
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2327
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/21 16:22:16 (permalink)
Hot Dog King,

I just had a Hofmann's a few days ago. I compared one to a Thumann's and a dog from John's Meat Market in Scotch Plains, N.J. which I found out sells the dogs made by Kocher's butcher shop. Kocher's is a popular butcher shop in Bergen County who sells hot dogs to between 30 and 40 different establishments. One of which is the Karl Ehmer's Hillsdale location. This place actually sells from their store and serves (at their outdoor cart) Kocher's German franks rather than Karl Ehmer's own German franks which are made in College Point N.Y. As you can imagine, the people at the main office are not pleased. I spoke to one of them recently. But anyway, Hofmann is a good frank, but a little milder than Thumann's and Kocher's, which are my 2 favorite German style franks. I also like Sahlen's from Buffalo, N.Y. and the special recipe Grote & Weigel frank made for the Galloping Hill Inn. These are my favorites in this style.

For anyone interested there are still some Sahlen's franks available at the Bridgewater Wegmans. Ken8038 posted about these. It's the only place I know of in Jersey that carries them. I called the store and was told that they only carry them in the summer months. Currently, they have 12 lbs left and will not be restocking until next summer. They come in 3 lb packages, but I was able to have the deli manager open a package and put aside a pound for me which I will pick up tomorrow. The rest of the franks in that package will be sold loose in the deli. If you've never had a Sahlen's, let me suggest that you get down to Wegmans (Bridgewater location only) before they run out. This is the dog that is served at the popular Ted's restaurants in and around Buffalo. These dogs have a somewhat tight casing and are great on the backyard grill. They are charbroiled till well done at Ted's.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/21 17:23:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Dog King

Ellen,
Did you have a chance to try any Hofmann's dogs? They are popular in the Syracuse, NY area.

yes, I noticed it was definitely Hoffman's territory there!!
No, I did'nt end up trying one, cause it was a pork dog; I usually just stick to the all beef ones...
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 16 of 43
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1