The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

11th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 13th , 2014 - past trip reports

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 22 of 43, messages 631 to 660 of 1280
Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Tue, 07/1/08 7:44 PM (permalink)
Signman ,
Check your email , Tami is onboard .
46 names .
Now we start the waiting list

Benzee

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
    RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Wed, 07/2/08 12:03 AM (permalink)

Thank you my skinny friend.

Benzee

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Wed, 07/2/08 5:36 PM (permalink)
      Hello Signman ,

Now , Now I don't think I will ever really be skinny , but I appreciate the thought .
      Corections made to list .

Benzee

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1088
        RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Wed, 07/2/08 7:43 PM (permalink)
        I'm sure you're getting there, Benzee! I hope I'll recognize these weight-losers! I'll be mailing a check for us after the 16th. I'm so glad it starts at Galloping Hill again.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
          RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Wed, 07/2/08 8:23 PM (permalink)
          It's getting close and I'm excited. Looking forward to not only eating some good dogs but seeing everyone again. I'll have more info on the final itinerary soon.

Benzee

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sat, 07/5/08 10:29 PM (permalink)
            Hello all ,

John and I will be discussing how we can get everyone on the tour this year , we have a few from other sites on a waiting list already and I have a few foodie business owners from the Hudson Valley that are now interested .
            I know some of the thoughts on a second bus will make it too crowded but we are gonna see if we can make it happen so we can dissolve the waiting list and get everyone onboard.
            Any pros and cons feel free to email me

Benzee

Benzee

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sun, 07/6/08 9:53 PM (permalink)
              Hello all ,

I have another 10 to 15 that would be on a waiting list just from today .
              We have discussed this and will go with a second bus . Otherwise we will end up with more on a waiting list than attending
              John will alter the intinerary accordingly to include stops that can handle two buses at 35 - 40 each . We will be checking each place out before we attend the tour to insure this .

Screenbear got your check for two thank you .

I will update the list next week once I get back to all the persons from the waiting list .

Benzee

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sun, 07/6/08 10:58 PM (permalink)
                I say go for it, Mateys.

As great great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather ScreenBear, a sailor, was often fond of recounting, originally Columbus was only going to sail the Nina in his search for a shorter route to the East.

However, due to popular demand, what with all the interest in getting to those spices, he opted for two more ships: the Pinta and the Santa Maria. It worked out pretty well. Our search for great hot dogs might benefit from their example. I call aisle seat.

The Bear

BadDog

• Total Posts: 26
                  RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Tue, 07/8/08 9:10 AM (permalink)
                  This may not be an ideal situation, but you could have one bus take one route and the other do the route in reverse. That way we wouldn't limit ourselves to only those places that can handle two busloads of hot doggers.

seafarer john

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Tue, 07/8/08 9:29 AM (permalink)
                    I like Bad Dog's suggested compromise. But how do we split John Fox between two busses - the tour just would'nt be right without America's favorite hot dog maven keeping us informed?

Cheers, John

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
                      RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Tue, 07/8/08 9:34 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by seafarer john

I like Bad Dog's suggested compromise. But how do we split John Fox between two busses - the tour just would'nt be right without America's favorite hot dog maven keeping us informed?

Cheers, John

Fear not, Seafaring One, either myself or Begnzee will do the honors on bus 2 - we will be doing a pre tour test run sometime in August, and whomever does bus 2 will get a thorough briefing!

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                        RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Tue, 07/8/08 11:20 AM (permalink)
                        Two buses not going to the same exact places at the same exact time defeats the whole, one big happy family idea.

The Bear

Benzee

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Tue, 07/8/08 12:29 PM (permalink)
                          Hello all ,

Screenbear is correct , it defeats the purpose of one big trip.
                          I like the suggestions but we will insure the establishments picked are well aware and capable of handling our group .
                          Lou , John and I will do a dry run in August and we will have John debrief us on the specific details of each for the second bus full .
                          Another idea I had was to have John debrief the second bus at each stop before we exit the bus , but I'm sure with a little cheetsheet we will be able to handle this .

Hey Lou when did I add a " g" to Benzee

Benzee

Matt Gleason

• Total Posts: 689
                            RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Tue, 07/8/08 7:05 PM (permalink)
                            I agree, everyone together.

harriet1954

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Fri, 07/11/08 8:02 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Benzee

Hey Lou when did I add a "g" to Benzee

Benzee

Must've been when he went on that hot dog tour down the Yangtze River...

Benzee

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sat, 07/12/08 10:43 AM (permalink)
                                Hello Harriet ,

That is too funny !!!

John Hughes got your check for the eight . All set to go .

John Fox is working on the intinerary and it should be set soon

Lou is designing the t shirt again this year . He did a great job with our radio show (www.wtbq.com 1230-2pm Fridays ) t shirt and we were able to wear them on our 2nd Anniversary Party . Thanks Lou.

Benzee

seafarer john

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sat, 07/12/08 11:58 AM (permalink)
                                  Benzee: I'm sad to report that Gail and I will be unable to join the September tour. We're going to miss spending an afternoon with John Fox and all the rest of the hot dog lovers, but we do look forward to seeing you sometime soon at Soul Dog and Big W, and we will be on the October 4th tour to Troy.

Cheers, John

Benzee

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sat, 07/12/08 2:48 PM (permalink)
                                    Hello all ,

Thanks for letting me know in advance Seafarer John . Sorry you cannot make it . I will definetly try tomake the Hot Dog King tour in October also

Benzee

Benzee

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Wed, 07/16/08 6:50 PM (permalink)
                                      Hello all ,

Hot Dog Nation presents the list of establishments for the 5th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour scheduled for Sat Sept 20th
                                      John Fox has set the intinerary with some input from myself and those on the message boards.

Starting Point is Galloping Hill Inn in Union NJ for the 5th consecutive year
                                      Plenty of free parking
                                      Buses will depart at Noon from location
                                      Attendees should arrive between 1100am and Noon.

The trip will include the following

Dees Truck , Roselle Park
                                      The Windmill , Westfield
                                      Mannys Texas Weiners , Union
                                      Jimmy Buffs , East Hanover
                                      Bubbas Dog House , Lyndhurst

Dees , The Windmill and Bubbas are new locations
                                      Jimmy Buffs was a big hit last year and Jimmy himself was fantastic!!
                                      Mannys was a big hit two and three years ago and Manny himself is expected to be onsite for us .

John will give reviews of each place , what to expect etc , .

Benzee

harriet1954

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Wed, 07/16/08 8:00 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:

Benzee: I'm sad to report that Gail and I will be unable to join the September tour. We're going to miss spending an afternoon with John Fox and all the rest of the hot dog lovers, but we do look forward to seeing you sometime soon at Soul Dog and Big W, and we will be on the October 4th tour to Troy.

Cheers, John

Oh dear. I just got really upset, because I love spending time with John and Gail whenever possible. It won't be the same. I love my Ellen, but nothing beats sitting and eating with John and getting to BS with him!!!

*sigh* It's alright, I suppose. My check will be in the mail soon as I can get to the post office, Benzee ("Begnzee"..has Lou even seen this?) I'll have it in the mail for me and Brian by Monday morning or maybe sooner.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                                          RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Wed, 07/16/08 11:29 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by harriet1954

quote:

Benzee: I'm sad to report that Gail and I will be unable to join the September tour.

Cheers, John

[teal]Oh dear. I love my Ellen, but nothing beats sitting and eating with John and getting to BS with him!!!

Wow, thanks for the nice plug, Harriet!!! I'm feeling the love, girl...
                                          and I'm slipping my check in my condo mail slot tomorrow morning!
                                          Since you've got a nice bf Brian for your bus-mate this year, I asked my sis to be my bus partner. Hopefully the 4 of us can still sit near each other, so I can feel your wonderful AURA!

Plus I can't wait to see you guys again, Benzee, John Fox, ...
                                          (Ken, Mike G, ...)

See you in September ...(as the song goes)

John Fox

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Thu, 07/17/08 6:24 AM (permalink)
                                            When I have a little time, I'll give a description of the stops on the Tour.

harriet1954

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Thu, 07/17/08 8:18 PM (permalink)
                                              John, I just read your review from February on another site of when you went to Bubba's in Roselle Park. If that didn't psyche me for this trip, nothing does! In fact, I emailed it to myself in work so I can print it out and show it to Brian on Sunday. He needs to be converted, people! Converted!

El, do you hear that? lol @ "aura". We had plenty of that back-of-the-bus aura last time, huh??! (You know what I mean)

Benzee

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Fri, 07/18/08 10:27 AM (permalink)
                                                Harriet ,

John puts a lot of time and effort into picking the stops out and with a little input from myself and the posters on the board comes up with the intinerary . Glad you like Bubbas , as a new stop I'm looking forward to it along with Windmill.

Brooklyn Bill got your check for two , on the lookout for the other two Thanks!!

Benzee

John Fox

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sun, 07/20/08 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                                  The itinerary is set for the 5th Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. There will be more people attending this year, so we will have a second bus. I've spoken to the people who own/manage the restaurants we will be visiting in order to have them prepared to serve us reasonably fast. I will be calling them shortly before we arrive so that they will be ready for us. In addition, the stops are closer together than in the past. This will help us in regards to time. Four of the stops are within a couple of miles of each other. Rest assured that they were picked for their quality hot dogs first and foremost; location was a secondary consideration.

As usual,we've added some new stops as well as rotating some old favorites. Since we are limited as to how many places we can visit, some old favorites can't be included. That's why they are rotated. Maybe next year we will have Elizabeth/Linden establisahments that were popular such as Jerry's, Tommy's, and Father & Son. Or Newark area joints like Tony's Truck and Rutt's Hut. Because of trying to get the stops located fairly close to each other, maybe we will do a different area next year. Central Jersey, in and around Somerset County has Amazing Hot Dog, Middlesex Texas Weiners, and other fine places. There are a cluster of hot dog eateries in West Jersey we can concentrate on in the future. Having smaller trips is also an option. Your feedback is encouraged and appreciated. We want to make the Tour exciting and fresh while continuing to return to favorites. But future trips is a topic for another day.

This year, as in the previous 4 Tours, we will begin at the Galloping Hill Inn. The hot dog served here is a grilled beef and pork dog made by Grote & Weigel of Connecticut. It's served on a harder football shaped bun. One of the finest dogs in this style. And one of the very few instances where the dog is made to a special recipe. Many places claim this; rarely is it true. The dogs used to be made at a local butcher shop. The current owners took the recipe and had them made at G&W to keep up with demand and also because the butcher shop was to be sold. During the course of an afternoon, no one sells more dogs than the GHI. This fact doesn't guarantee quality (McDonald's sells more burgers than anyone) but the dogs here are exceptional and well liked among regular attendees of the Tour. Although I enjoy mine with just their fine Dusseldor mustard, people have told me that the hot relish here is exceptional.

Dee's Truck is located in the neighboring town of Roselle Park. It is one of my two favorite trucks in New Jersey, Tony's in Newark being my other. Tony's serves a Golden D dog that is milder than the Sabrett you get at Dee's. Dee's, like so many other trucks and carts serves a Sabrett dirty water dog. Most are similar with little differences. What sets Dee's apart are a few things. The dog is a 10 to a lb natural casing Sabrett. Many places serve a smaller dog and charge the same. 11 and 12 to a lb are too small. Some places that are more well known (JJ's and Donnies Dogs) use skinless franks. Dee's dogs are served very hot. Not the case with many trucks. Her dogs are consistently good and fresh. They are not kept in the water long, and unsold dogs are discarded. All dogs are $1.50 with or without toppings. She has the regular variety of toppings you see at most trucks plus her own homemade onion relish she serves rather than the Sabrett brand. Chili is also homemade. I can't comment on the toppings because the dogs are so good that I get them with mustard only. If you like natural casing dirty water Sabrett's, you won't find a better one than Dee's. She assured me that she can assemble a lot of dogs quickly. She recently did over 100 for a group that was leaving a nearby movie theatre.

The Windmill is a small chain with about 10 or so locations. Maybe less. Some are franchisies, some company owned. I don't know if "chain" is a good description or appropriate. The food is much better than what you would associate with a chain. In addition to hot dogs, you can get hamburgers, fries and other sandwiches. Located mostly in Monmouth County near the Jersey shore, the original Windmill is in Long Branch. Their hot dogs are quite popular and win many "best of" awards. It seems that they are always voted best hot dog by the Asbury Park Press. Their frank is a long quarter pound beef and pork dog made by Sabrett. It is prepared on a flat griddle. They have a charcoal grill for burgers and some people request their dogs be finished off on the grill. This dog is similar in style to the Galloping Hill Inn's dog. Also the dog served at their competitor down the street from their original location, Max's, which serves a Schickhaus dog the same size and preparation. I would consider the following dogs (not in any particular order) to be the finest grilled beef/pork dogs I've had in Jersey. GHI, Windmill, Karl Ehmer's, Max's, and Jimmy Buff's. Buff's griddles, then charcoal grills the 1/4 lb Schickhaus frank. All of these dogs are exceptional. Similar, but with subtle differences. All have their fans. I happen to prefer these dogs to the deep fried pork/beef dogs. The Windmill dog, like the others named are a milder (but tasty) beef and pork dog grilled long and well done with a good, smoky flavor. I like them this way. They also have a taut natural casing with a very good snap. I'm sure this dog will be well liked. The chili here is what I would call a regular, as opposed to a Texas Weiner style. Prefering just mustard most of the time, I only had the chili the last time I was at the Windmill because I remember it being voted 2nd best by the Munchmobile S.W.A.T. Team 2 years ago and I wanted to try it. Good, slightly spicy flavor. Much better chili than Max's.

Manny's is an old favorite. Looking more like a diner (with a diner's menu) than a hot dog joint, Manny's is known for their Texas Weiners. They serve the Plainfield area variety, which is grilled, rather than deep fried, and has a thicker chili than the Paterson/Clifton "Hot Texas Weiner". The dog used is the standard Grote & Weigel griddle frank. In reality, there is little difference between the dog served here and the many other places serving this type of Texas Weiner. All use the G&W dog prepared the same way. Even the chili is similar. Many of the guys (including Manny) began working at Texas Weiner l or Texas Weiner ll as grillmen before opening their own place. While similar, I like Manny's chili a little better than most (not as spicy as some and w/o big onion pieces) of the Texas Weiner joints. Manny's is also a nicer, cleaner place with better service. And they have Manny as a host. A classic New Jersey Texas Weiner.

Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover will be a much anticipated stop. Those of you who attended last year remember what a gracious host Jimmy was and how good the dogs are. Jimmy Buff's is THE Originator of the Newark Style Italian Hot Dog. Probably my favorite thing in the world to eat. The perfect meal: bread, meat, potatoes, and vegetables. While other places popped up specializing in this unique N.J. creation ( some quite good) no one does it better than Buff's. For those of you that don't care for Italian Hot Dogs, there are other choices. Sausage & peppers, burgers, sandwiches, and other dogs. Jimmy serves the Syd's dog with a twist. A 5 to a lb natural casing dog from Best that is fried first and then finished off on a charcoal grill. My favorite regular dog. You can also get a pushcart dog, which is an 8 to a lb Best dog fried, and a quarter pound Schickhaus dog. The Schickhaus is a 1/4 pound beef and pork dog (served at Max's and many Jersey Shore Boardwalk stands) that is griddled, then put on a grill. An excellent dog that I've enjoyed on only one occasion here as I can't get past the Italian Hot Dog or the footlong (Syd's dog). Jimmy also makes a unique and very good chili. One of the best I've had. It is mild and meaty. A bolognese style rather than Texas Weiner style. Jimmy Buff's can be seen on the Travel Channel's Hot Dog Paradise show.

Bubba's Dog House rounds out the itinerary. Located in Lyndhurst, they have been open about 2 years. Sharon the owner is a hot dog lover who peruses Roadfood and other sites to see what Jersey hot dog afficionados like. Bubba's, like Jimmy Buff's is one of the rare places that does more than one style of hot dog and does them well. She is a hands on owner who cares about her customers and providing excellent service. I've posted in detail about Bubba's on the New Jersey Hot Dog Thread. They serve a big Italian Hot Dog that is easily better than most I've had. Everything is fresh and tasty. The potatoes, despite being thicker (in chunks) than I prefer, are tasty and prepared well with the right amount of oils. Not too greasy or dried out. They also offer a Sabrett dirty water dog. I did not sample this one, but was told by ScreenBear and others that it is hot and well prepared.

Bubba's has a deep fryer they use to make Thumann's "rippers". This is the dog made for deep frying that is used at Rutt's Hut, Hiram's, Libby's and others. Unlike some places, it is left in the oil for a sufficient amount of time. In fact, customers are encouraged to specify how they want it done. I like mine well done. If you like Rutt's Hut, you will like this dog. Although they don't have Rutt's relish, they have their own homemade chili, which I remember being very good. It's slightly spicy with a few different ingredients such as bacon and beer. I wrote more about it on my post in the New Jersey Hot Dog Thread. Not a Texas Weiner type chili either, but one of the best I've had. In fact the chili at every place (with the exception of Galloping Hill Inn) is very good.

I would urger everyone to pace yourself. If you can't eat that many dogs, feel free to share or even skip somehere that may not be a favorite. I'm looking forward to the Tour. The anticipation for me is like it was on Christmas Eve when I was a small child.

John Fox

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sun, 07/20/08 12:48 PM (permalink)
                                                    In reading over the last post, I see that I made a glaring omission regarding Bubba's. One of their offerings is the charbroiled Syd's dog. It is cooked on a real charcoal grill (not put in water first like Syd's) and tastes exactly like the dogs at Syd's. It's my favorite dog there. And one of the few places in Jersey serving this dog. The others are Jimmy Buff's, Seymours, and the Martini Bar.

Benzee

• Location: Bullville , NY
                                                      RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Mon, 07/21/08 9:18 PM (permalink)
                                                      Hello all ,

Excllent job describing the establishments and types of dogs John.
                                                      Knowing Jimmy Buff and Manny I can tell you this will be a treat for those onboard meeting and interacting with these two owners .
                                                      I can't wait for Bubbas and the Windmill and am looking forward to Dees Truck .
                                                      And the beginning , the scmooze , as we all arrive at Galloping Hill inn , meeting new friends and getting acquainted with those we know is one of the highlights of my day .

Benzee

DPuro329

• Total Posts: 406
                                                        • Location: Londonderry, NH
                                                        RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Tue, 07/22/08 10:06 PM (permalink)
                                                        I agree, John Fox is a walking Hot Dog encyclopedia.

Benzee,
                                                        The check is in the mail, it went out yesterday. Let me know if there are any problems.

Dave

harriet1954

• Location: Edgewater Park, NJ
                                                          RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Wed, 07/23/08 6:54 PM (permalink)
                                                          Mailed my check out for two anxious attendees Monday! The more I read reviews of the individual places, the more psyched I get. I think my bus-mate's gonna have to be there to appreciate how great it's going to be. Don't worry...we'll convert him from "I don't eat hot dogs that much" to "This is the best!" And the way he eats...he'll get a fine sampling! All 140 lbs. of him!

Hey could I request a few cans of Monster Energy Drink for the cooler? I'll buy ya a hot dog, Mister Cooler Man!

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4469
                                                            • Location: Pittston, PA
                                                            RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Wed, 07/23/08 8:13 PM (permalink)
                                                            Benzee, Check is in the mail. Two for the road....tour.

Joe

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 22 of 43, messages 631 to 660 of 1280

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com