we'll, i hope all went well for the DOG TOUR FALL 2009, i wasn't on the bus but did stop at the RAHWAY GRILL and had my share before the bus rolled in.
got a quick meet with benzee and baddog(doug), looking forward to other post, from the experiences of the day.
1. DEE'S HOT TRUCK Roselle Park, nj ( i was there few weeks back ). i give a thumbs up for serving the hot dog nice and "HOT" to get the sabbrett flavors moving (big mistake by many street vendors, dirty water dog's never hot enough). found the roll's ok for steamed (travel partner had two soggy roll's and was turned off). Toppings were average, can be found at most vendors or even stores for that matter, Nothing special. ( out of crushed red pepper, partner was upset. like his spices). HER BIG PLUS WAS THE HOT HOT DOG.
2. LUTZ PORK STORE, UNION, NJ. PICKED up some DOG'S, SAUSAGE AND LIVERWURST. hot dog's par boiled the grilled on the BBQ, we found them to be good, liverwurst was good, THE sausage we found to be very disappointing
3. Galloping Hill, Union ,nj GREW up with the HILL (Peterson's 5 points) , THIS IS A PLACE THAT I'LL JUST EAT THE DOG WITH JUST MUSTARD. i think that, the dog gets lost in the roll, don't get me wrong, the dog and the roll are good, but need to fill the roll with more HOT DOG. THE GH ROLL IS ALSO A GREAT ROLL FOR MEATBALLS , SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS/ONIONS
. What happen to peterson's in Florida? still there? i remember the grandparents being sad in the winter month's, back in the day the Union store closed for the winter.
4. CHARLIES ITALIAN HOT DOG'S, Kenilworth, NJ. Another place with family ties, go out front door of grandmas and we headed to GH, go out the back door , and we headed to Charlies IHD'S on Michagan blvd. opened 1963 this was a big favorite of my grandparents, i know over the years there has been 2 or 3 family members that have run the business, since then, i can't remember having good or even decent hot dog or a IHT. i believe theres been 3 non-family owners. There's a place down the shore on the rt. 35 s heading towards seaside heights that's called CHARLIES FARM MARKET, my family legend has it as the two were connected back in the sixtys.(my grandfather was connected to the shore location/ family skeleton-mystery thing. back in the day it was more food then farm market stuff.
5. JO JO'S IHD'S RT. 37 EAST TOMS RIVER, NJ . i remember them being in ISELIN (WOODBRIDGE) at OAK TREE ROAD and CORREJA.( the old movie house) as kid, eating there dogs , we thought they were great, Fast foward to now, was there a few weeks ago , THERE's nothing to say GOOD. Were happy to get out of there, hot dog's hamburgers and the IHD'S were a MAJOR disapointment.
6. Rutt's Hut, clifton , nj. interesting and simple, eat them plain, eat them with the house mustard / relish or even just a drizzle of ketchup. they are what they are. simple eat's that are the same time after time.
7. Charlie's Pool Room, ALPHA, NJ we made our first trip this past thursday, the wife and our 3 yr old in tow, we drove out 58.5 miles to find this legend tucked away in the edge of the state. Yes, we got lost too, like so many other's have.
we were welcomed like all other's have said in there posting's, i found the place to be more pleasing to me, then, what i was expecting, i love old structures and there personalties. I Love Charlies inside stucture. LET'S GET TO The good's of place. we placed our order, we had 5 dog's, 2+2+1 we had a mix. we found the dog's to be ok( honestly) topping's, there special sauce and onions are what CHARLIES POOL ROOM IS ALL ABOUT!!!!! WOW WOW WOW
TALK About picture's that don't lie. you get exactly what you see, i have never seen a dog pictured or served that was a DEAD CLONE TO IT'S SELF.we could've ordered 1000 hot dog's that day and everyone of them would've been exactaly the same over and over again. Thank's guy's !!! we were there for a short time, but we'll be back !!!!! like i said, the dog's were ok, get them together with toppings and now we got something GOOD to EAT.
just some of my insite, i have others that i'll talk about down the road, JOHNNY'S HOT DOG'S, TEXAS WEINER, RED TOWER, JIMMY BUFF'S, AMAZING(RIP), MR. DEE'S(RIP), BEARS, THE PARK SWEET SHOPPE (RIP), FATHER AND SON'S AND SOME MANY STREET VENDORS THAT HAVE NO NAME.
<message edited by Dog Boss on Sat, 09/26/09 9:13 PM>