Hot!12th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 12th , 2015 - past trip reports

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 43
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/03/31 05:54:09 (permalink)
Sorry that I've taken so long to post. Been pretty busy lately. I will try to contact Brookquarry and see if he will join us. He knows these places and his way around West Jersey and Pa. For now, I would suggest meeting at Syd's in Union for the New York and North and Central Jersey people. Then head out to Hot Dog Johnny's, which is a little distance from the other stops. We'll get that one done first and then head towards the rest, which are located pretty close to each other. After HDJ, I was thinking Charlies Pool Room, Toby's Cup, and then to Pa. There are at least 2 places in Pa. we could hit.
brookquarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 280
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/03/31 15:48:17 (permalink)
John, I applaud your itinerary so far. Can I assume that your "two places in Pa" would be Jimmys' and Corbin Johns?

Each would add something to the tour. Jimmy's is the original easton Pa style dog- onions, relish and a pickle spear. And just $.80. Corbin John's is a little slice of Upstate New York. Zweigles whites and reds. Also the Pennsylvania trash plate for those who are not too full.
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/03/31 16:25:19 (permalink)
We can't commit to this just yet, but will let you know soon....Sue
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/03/31 17:12:25 (permalink)
The tentative itinerary looks real good. I await further word.
The Bear
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/04 08:57:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by brookquarry

John, I applaud your itinerary so far. Can I assume that your "two places in Pa" would be Jimmys' and Corbin Johns?

Each would add something to the tour. Jimmy's is the original easton Pa style dog- onions, relish and a pickle spear. And just $.80. Corbin John's is a little slice of Upstate New York. Zweigles whites and reds. Also the Pennsylvania trash plate for those who are not too full.

Yes, these would be the 2 places. Let's try and get an idea of who will be coming.
ScreenBear
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/04 10:18:47 (permalink)
Count me in!
The Bear
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/04 10:40:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by poundpod

Davy's in Mt. Arlington makes a terrific dog, and nice salty, thin, fresh french fries. Their version of a Chicago Dog, made with a Sabrett frank, actually works pretty nicely.

I haven't been there for a while, but I understand from my friends who go very often that the standards are kept up. There's a Cracker Barrel next door, for those of you who want small portions of mediocre food with a minimum of taste---except for the breakfast menu.

Ironically, I always thought the hamburgers at Davy's exceeded their hot dogs. They also have a quality cheesesteak.
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1878
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/08 02:03:36 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Need to know of who is interested in the Hot Dog Tour . We have a bus on reserve if need be. Should we not get between 25 and 30 , we will have to carpool it . Not a problem either way for me .

Benzee
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/08 10:27:30 (permalink)
Normally I would join you all, but I will be in Vegas, Baby.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/08 16:46:23 (permalink)
Signman,

Good luck in Vegas and hope to see you soon at a Crabfest tour or another dog tour in the future.

Benzee
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/09 05:07:58 (permalink)
I would love to join you again (loved the last hot dog tour in Sept)
but I will be in San Diego !

p.s Next time any of you are in AC, why don't you drop by the poker room and say HI?!?! I deal day shift at the Borgata, off Sun and Mon.......

(and I'll give you some pointers on how to play $1-2 no-limit texas hold em..) Not a big deal.....only $60 minimum buy-in

enjoy your dogs,
ellen
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/10 15:34:56 (permalink)
Ellen ,

I just returned from Vegas a few weeks ago and played in a few Hold Em Tourneys at Orleans and Binions .
I took my winnings from $25 and better BJ and tried to parlay that into a final table or two . One tourneyt had 239 and I was just out of the money in 31st . The rest I was close but the #$%^@ antes started killing me and evry all in it seemed I was up against it. Overall up a little for the week.

When are the Daily tourneys at Borgata and what are the by ins.
I have a few buddies that want to go down on Fri the 21st .

Should we make it down there I will certianly stop by to say hello .
As far as thgis Spring Tour the response is not what we thought , any more coming along ??

Benzee
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/15 14:14:44 (permalink)
Hello all ,

I do not think we have enough people for the bus this time around . We will have to car pool it if thats ok with everyone.
I will be leaving from Orange County NY , Monroe area for anyone that wants to meet me before we head south to Jersey .
Syds sounds like the first Jersey stop and meet if I'm reading everything correctly . Now perhaps without the bus we will have some that want to meet us at certain stops along the way for a bite .
I would be guessing at 11 - 1130 am at Syds for those meeting there . John can post the entire intinerary and everyone can get an estimated time of arrival at each stop for those of you that want to join the group for a few stops .
So far we are looking at
John Fox
brookquarry
Screenbear
Sonjaab
Benzee
Did I forget anyone ?
Still waiting word on Coney Island Lou .

I will have a cooler of refreshments , Coke , diet , water for us to consume . Any other non alcoholic requests let me know .
Gratis to those on the tour .

Any other questions or concerns feel free to email me .

Benzee
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/15 19:54:02 (permalink)
Benzee,

I wanted to wait until this weekend to see if more people would be coming. Unfortunately it seems like they aren't. So unless things change fast, I guess we'll be car pooling. I figured we would start at Syd's, go to Hot Dog Johnny's from there, proceed to Charlies Pool Room and Toby's Cup, which are a few minutes from each other, and then over to Pa. Anyone interested in going, let us know.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/15 22:34:58 (permalink)
John ,

Carpooling works for me buddy . It may also give some folks a thought about meeting us at one or two of the stops without being committed to the entire day .

What time are we looking at to meet at Syds ?
And from there how long you think to Hot Dog Johnnys?

We can coordinate on site with cell phones to ensure we do not lose anyone .

Also I'm thinking about an afternoon foray to Father and Son one day next week , are you available and what times?
And anyone else ?

Benzee
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/16 07:31:07 (permalink)
Benzee,

Let's meet at Syd's between 11:00 and 11:30. I'll check to see what time they open. I believe it's 11:00. If so, let's shoot for 11. From Syd's to Hot Dog Johnny's is the farthest run between places. My guess would be a little under an hour. I'm not sure how long it will be to the other places near Philipsburg (maybe 20 minutes? Brookquarry would know) but once we get there, everything is fairly close. Like within a few minutes, including the Pa stops. After that, it's a simple ride back to Union taking 78 East.

As for Father & Son, I would love to go one day next week. My day off is Thursday, so it would have to be then. But it's almost a 50% chance that I will be working anyway. Depends on whether or not they need me that day. I can e-mail you my phone number and get yours. If I'm not needed I can go anytime Thursday. Perhaps you can meet me and anyone else who wants to go at the Galloping Hill Inn since it's right off the Parkway. From there, I'll drive to Father & Son. It's five miles away. Anyone interested? ScreenBear?
ScreenBear
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/16 09:27:52 (permalink)
Fellow Hot Dog Aficionados,
I'd really like to go to Father & Son for some farewell dogs, but Thursday isn't good for me. However, I'm all set for the Western Tour.
The Bear
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/16 17:35:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Benzee

Ellen ,

I just returned from Vegas a few weeks ago and played in a few Hold Em Tourneys at Orleans and Binions .
I took my winnings from $25 and better BJ and tried to parlay that into a final table or two . One tourneyt had 239 and I was just out of the money in 31st . The rest I was close but the #$%^@ antes started killing me and evry all in it seemed I was up against it. Overall up a little for the week.

When are the Daily tourneys at Borgata and what are the by ins.
I have a few buddies that want to go down on Fri the 21st .

Should we make it down there I will certianly stop by to say hello .
As far as thgis Spring Tour the response is not what we thought , any more coming along ??

Benzee

Hi Benzee, and fellow Roadfooders......
I used to deal poker in Vegas and in L.A. area, (Binion's Horseshoe back in the late 1980's.....) , so I can relate to your poker tourney endeavors. I enjoy playing in tourneys occasionally, as well...
and plan to play in a few during my San Diego trip...

Regarding our Borgata Poker Tournament schedule, we have $50 buy-in tournaments plus $10 entree fee(with one $50 add-on allowed) from Sun-Thurs at 11 am and 7 pm... all no-limit texas hold em..

Fridays are our bigger tourney , just one tournament at 12 noon..
the buy-in is $250, plus $30 entry fee.

I will be working Friday, (I usually deal the live games)...
I definitely remember you from the Hot Dog tour, Benzee.....you are even in a few of my pics! Remember ME?! I'm real bubbly...

My close friend, Russ, came in 29th place at the "big one" , the $10,000 buy in at the World Series this year .. nice payoff, $290,000, (but of course, he had backers to pay off, etc) (then the tax man wants some , too...)

Hope you all have fun on the Western Jersey hot dog tour...

ellen from AC area
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/17 13:57:52 (permalink)
Ellen ,

Thanks for all the info , did not know we had this in common at last years tour or we would've been talking all day .

This Fri may be off as I'm running a Bus Trip to Ballys on Sun for the Price is Right stage show.

I would love to play in the big one , alas a qualifier is probably the only way I'm going .

Any more for the Dog Tour on the 29th , do not be shy .!!!

John , Thurs is no good for me for Father and Son .

Benzee

Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/20 00:42:57 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Anyone hear from Coney Island Lou lately ??

Still waiting to see if he will be joining us on the 29th

Benzee
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/22 08:58:48 (permalink)
Hello all ,

I just got an email from John Fox that he will be unable to make the tour next Sat.
Coney Island Lou is still a no show , has anyone heard from him ?
We are down to three .
Anyone else looking to join the tour ?

Benzee
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/22 18:39:16 (permalink)
I'm sorry that I will not be able to make this one. I hope some of you still will go and report back. I think it might be best to concentrate our efforts on a big trip in the fall. In the meantime, I also think it would be a good idea to have a bunch of informal trips when some of us can get together. I was in Father & Son the other day and spoke to one of the women who has been working there for years. The owner of the property has decided not renew the lease. No reason was given. In fact, she showed me the letter notifying Father & Son that the lease would not be renewed. It was taped to the soda machine. Short and to the point, telling them that their lease would not be renewed and that they should make plans to leave by June 30th. They are in the process of looking for another location. Too bad. They were at their present location since the 1940's. Anyone looking to go before they close, let me know. I'd be happy to meet you there for a dog or 2.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/24 17:34:47 (permalink)
Hello all ,

I'm now in the same boat as John for Sat. I suggest we reschedule for a future date as I've been asked to work OT and have previously turned down the requests, do to the tour . Now that we have lost John , I think it is a good idea to go on some smaller group outings throughout the summer and concentrate on our Dog Tour for the fall .

If any of you are still gonna get together for sat. let me know approx. times you will be at the locations and if I can switch my work Schedule around will try to meet you at one or two of the stops if possible .

Benzee
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/24 19:26:58 (permalink)
Hot dog touring has traditionally been in September. Hopefully I'll be able to make it on the new date. In the meantime I hope everyone puts August 26th on their calendar for the 3rd annual Crabstock in Baltimore.
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/28 19:27:07 (permalink)
Don't let that stop you from considering joining us in the fall. We will come up with a date a long time in advance, and I will make sure this time I put in for the day off (Vacation day) rather than having the day fall on my day off when I am faced with turning down overtime. Hopefully we can come up with a date that will be good for most people. It will be on a Saturday when most of the hot dog joints will be open. We've had 2 successful Jersey Hot Dog tours before, and this Fall will make 3.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/28 19:39:27 (permalink)
Hello all ,

John , I have changed the headline to prepare for our Fall Hot Dog Tour .
Once we have a date we can reserve a bus if needed .

Anyone interested in some mini meets along the way , let me know .
Hot Dog Johnnys and Charlies Pool Room are a must for me between now and the fall.

One more trip to Father and Son before they close will probably be done also.

I wish the spring tour would've worked but there were a lot of factors involved .

The fall seems to work best for everyone and with our host John Fox leading the way it is sure to be a grand time .

Benzee
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/04/28 20:31:09 (permalink)

Parses
You are wrong. In 2004 24 Roadfooders met in a little stripmall BBQ joint about 60 miles east of Los Angeles. It was Superbowl Sunday, and we had a great lunch. We had just driven in from Louisville (2100 miles) and Lisa and Zee were down from Anchorage, Alaska (distance unknown, but a long ride) The others came from all over the L A basin. The point being that everyone wanted to attend...and they made time for it.
Since that event I have attended several similiar meetings and have watched as others planned and executed more meetings and tours than I can count...all over the country. The first Baltimore Crab thing drew almost 50...Signman did a great job of getting it going. The Tennessee Glee Club has conducted several tours of the Tennessee and Kentucky area with folks from as far away as Texas and New York joining in for the fun. Add in the Chicago tours by the members and one by the Sterns and you will see that your claim about it being "IMPOSSIBLE" is WRONG.
May I suggest that unless you have something constructive (and FACTUAL) to add to a thread that you consider keeping your comments to yourself.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/05/05 14:14:34 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Sept 2005 we had 27 Roadfooders enjoy a Jersey Hot Dog Bus Tour of such establishments as Syds, Rutts Hut and The Hot Dog Grill to name a few.
We were also joined by a print media rep and photographer and were featured in a Sunday Section of a Major NJ daily newspaper.
We had to name the group Hot Dog Nation as to conform with the wishes of the powers that be . But at every stop we did mention where we had all met and about the message board .

This was put together by Hot Dog Fans .
We plan to do it again in the fall .
Look out for Hot Dog Nation Fall 2006 !!!

I do hope Al The Mayor and a few others could join us on the next one

Benzee
ScreenBear
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/05/06 19:25:34 (permalink)
Benzee,
I'm in...again. Kindly reserve a seat for me.
The Bear
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2314
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/05/06 19:34:54 (permalink)
I wanna go. How far is New Jersey from Nashville?
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 43
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1