Hot!12th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 12th , 2015 - past trip reports

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 30 of 43
Author
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1878
Re:6th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sat. Sept 26th 2009 2009/09/28 11:47:14 (permalink)

Hello all ,

The 6th Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour was a resounding success . Thanks to everyone who was involved .
I was unable to enjoy the eats at most places due to my restricted lap band so I will leave the foodie thoughts to everyone else
Thanks everyone for the well wishes I'm down about 160 pounds since the surgery in March of 08 . Look back at past tour photos , I'm the big guy !!

Why do I continue to organize this trip every year I was asked by one of the four newspapers covering the tour this year  when I cant eat ?

I love the camraderie , the friendships , and the fun we all have being together sharing the day . I'm experienced running bus trips for different organizations over the past ten yrs so I handle the logistics , bus , payments etc. and the following outstanding person handles the intinerary
That being ...

Mr John Fox who I call  New Jerseys foremost Authority on Hot Dogs .
John handles picking the stops , the order of the intinerary and day of giving a report on each stop , style of dogs , suggested eats , and history of each place .
There is a reason each place is picked ,  or not picked for a particular yr and he handles it like no one else can . Great job once again by , my friend , and everyones buddy John Fox !!!!!
I'm truly amazed every year how much he knows , it is a joy to watch and gets better and better .

The stops were all good

GHI as our starting point , centrally located off of Exit #138 of the Garden state Parkway , plenty of parking for our group , indoor and outdoor seating and the starting point every tour so far .  One of my favorite dogs with chili in the past , love the bun .

Dees Truck - On the tour once again Dee does a good job taking care of our large group , good chili , sabretts dog . Not one of my favorite stops because we have mostly Sabrett  trucks in Upstate NY , but it is a good dog and great atmosphere  of the park nearby

Rahway Grill was one of the favorites of our group . Took a bite out of John Sagis chili with mustard dog , very good . Got us in and out , very friendly bunch . Dog Boss stopped by to say hello nice to meet him and his son . 

My favorite  co favorite was next Lutzs Pork Store . Wow !!!! Owner and childhood friend Pat Stasolla greeted us at the door and had parking set for our 55 passenger motorcoach right in front of store . Sign out front welcoming the tour , and when we entered Pat and his staff had three trays of Hot Dogs , Sausages  , Knockwirsts , brats , you name it . All for FREE .
Pat  spoke on the history of Lutzs , the recent awards , style of each to be served and introduced each and every member of his staff including the Wurstmaster !!
I did try a  couple bites of one of their signature dogs and the homemade saurkraut , Excellent !!
Many of our attendees also bought extras for home and it
Thank you Pat and the staff of Lutzs

Part #2 with the rest of the stops coming soon

Benzee
John Sagi
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 146
Re:6th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sat. Sept 26th 2009 2009/09/28 12:27:25 (permalink)
Thank you

Benzee, ConeyIslandLou and HotRodFord for posting the pictures.

This will help me in creating the 6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour webpage.

It will take a few days to complete.

If anyone wants to send me a picture of themself,  I'll be adding it to the webpage so we'll have a better idea what name goes with the picture.

Anyone who don't want their picture posted, let me know.

I also have trouble remembering names so put your name and/or screen name with the photo.

johnsagi@sbcglobal.net

Lutz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:6th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sat. Sept 26th 2009 2009/09/28 17:14:01 (permalink)
Dog Boss

John Fox

Oh, I'm psyched just like every year. The itinerary is on the last page I believe. Let me say again that it would be wise to pace yourself. There will be six stops. If you can't eat 6 dogs I encourage you to share.

Lutz's Pork Store is not a hot dog restaurant but they will be giving out samples. Bring a cooler or use one of ours to buy some of their excellent dogs, brats, sausages, and other meats. You can buy packages or just a single dog or sausage to bring home.

It will be a fun day and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

Im sorry to say, my wife just cooked a BIG a VERY BIG pot of sauce with meatball's and  Lutz's sweet sausage, we had 10 people over for dinner, 6 had the sausage, 6 very un-happy eaters , yes , we, were all very disappointed........... on my run there, i did pick up there hot dogs, we did find them to be pretty good, and there liverwurst wasn't bad either.

to all the tour people eat and enjoy this saturday, i'm sure you'll find some interesting eat's

Dear Dog Boss, 

I'm very sorry you and your family did not enjoy our sausage....please accept my apologies.   You are the first person that I've ever gotten a complaint from with regard to our sausage.  Please feel free to come by the store for a refund or a retry on me.

All the best,
Pat S.
Lutz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:6th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sat. Sept 26th 2009 2009/09/28 17:19:26 (permalink)
To the Hot Dog Mafia,

I would like to thank all of you for visiting Lutz Pork Store this past Saturday as part of your annual pilgramage.  You are always welcome to the store.  I would especially like to thank John Fox and Erwin Benz for their support and leadership.   Lastly, I will be creating Official "Hot Dog Mafia" membership/discount cards available at Lutz Pork Store, which will entitle the member to discounts and rewards for purchases at the store.

All the best,
Pat S.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2462
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2009/09/28 18:54:36 (permalink)

I can't believe I FINALLY made on of the NJ Hot Dog tours!!  It certainly did not disappoint.  With much help from my fellow Roadfooders, I took a NJ Transit train from New York Penn Station to Newark Penn Station, then another train to Roselle Park and after a very short bus ride, I arrived at the first stop of the tour, (GHI) Galloping Hill Inn.  
Exterior of Galloping Hill Inn. The bus was already there so I said hello to John Fox and Benzee and made my way to the counter to place my order. GHI logo on the window Part of the GHI menu. I went for a dog with mustard, chili and onions. After the first bite, I realized that I don't like chili and mustard together. It feels like a battle of wills to me and they're both working against each other. I'll echo the comments of others about the bun. It was a good bun, but I thought it better suited for a sausage and peppers sandwich or a nice Italian cold cuts sandwich. The dog couldn't stand up to it. The chili reminded me of Hormel although I don't think that it was, it just didn't "pop" for me". The dog was okay, but didn't really stand out. Not a favorite stop for a number of people, but I'm always glad to try something new! I'm not sure who this couple is, but I asked if they would pose with their burgers and they were happy to oblige. It was also John Fox's birthday and his wife brought a cake and we all sang to him! Happy Birthday John! Our Starship Enterprise for the day. Our Captain Kirk was a gent named Dennis and he did a fine job maneuvering through the streets on this lovely day. Our second stop was at Dee's Hut, a small truck on the mean streets of Roselle Park. Here we see the line of hot dog heads awaiting a Sabrett's dog with some of Dee's homemade onion sauce, or perhaps some of her chili. I have to tell you that Benzee and John Fox complement each other so well on this tour. Benzee is like Morgan Freeman in "Shawshank Redemption". He's a man who knows how to get things! The organization with the bus, payments, getting the info out to everybody, doing the head counts, etc... Thanks a million, Benzee! And John Fox, just an incredible encyclopedic knowledge of hot dogs, their history and the people who make and sell them. He gave us a Cliff Notes rundown of what was available at each place before we arrived, which I found to be very helpful in choosing what I would eat! Thanks, man! Such a small truck, but some outstanding food. Dee hard at work in the truck. She knew we were coming, but I can only imagine the look on her face when our bus pulled up! Dee's menu. St. Theresa sign. Now I don't know about y'all, but I don't come across this at a street truck or cart in NYC very often! I had mine with her homemade onion sauce and homemade chili. I really liked this whole package. The bun was soft, the dog had a nice snap to it. The onions in the sauce were soft and had a nice tomato flavor to it. The chili was similar to a bolognese sauce, which John Fox mentioned a few places made it that way. And a nice cold cream soda to wash it down. Our 3rd stop was at the Rahway Grill. Tucked away on a small side street, this was worth seeking out. Rahway dogs in the window. I love that I can see my food cooking and being prepared right on the street. Rahway grill, exterior. I liked this place from the moment I stepped inside. It has been around since the 1920s and it looks like not too much has changed. One thing that caught my eye was a man having a bowl of ice cream at his table and the bowl was the same pattern that my mom had at home when I was a kid. They weren't going for restaurant decor, but just for whatever works. Rahway menu. jukebox and Christmas decoration. Not so much about celeb photos, but pics of people they know, family and friends. Walt, I know you had a hamburger today, but no, definitely no pancakes! Put down the syrup pitcher and step away! Dressing the dogs, my stomach started to grumble. Feed me! Self serve onions, I like their style. This was just pure and simple. An all beef dog with an assertive flavor and snap. Their finely chopped onions went quite well with the thick, rich chili. I was liking that chili more and more with each bite. I though I detected a graininess in it like cornmeal, but I'm not sure. I can't exactly put my finger on the taste, but I'd make a detour for more. Pennsylvania dutch red birch beer. This is what I grew up with, although I now prefer Foxon Park white style after fellow Roadfooders Ayersian (Chris & Amy) got me hooked on it at Blackie's and Frank Pepe's. I was hoping to find some off-the-beaten-path drinks today, but this was as far as the beverages veered off course. Stop number 4, Lutz's Pork Store. This was an interesting stop to say the least. The moment I walked in, I was beguiled by a smoky perfume. John has known the owner, Patrick, for a while and has tasted many of their products. Benzee to school with Patrick from elementary through high school! Pat took some time to tell us about the store and introduce us to his staff who make the sausages, wursts, coleslaw, sauerkraut, you name it. Finally, some recognition. Pat, I think you should build an overhead, lighted marquee for our arrival next year! Pat from Lutz's and his staff. John Fox had told us that Pat and the guys would have samples for us. Little did we know that he had put out a whole spread! Grand Reserve award. A pretty awesome honor in the meat world. Although I wonder how a Grand Champion would lose their title: Unkind photos from Playboy surfacing years later? Plagiarizing an article from Smoked Meat Aficionado Magazine? Lutz's banner Meats on here I have never even heard of before! Lutz's specialty sign They had a tray of Lutz's footlongs and custom dogs as well as Lutz's italian sausages and brats I went in for a Half sausage/half hot dog Same shot but with dog dressed in mustard and kraut. Lemme tell ya, the combo of the Martin's potato roll, that homemade sauerkraut, the smoked dog and that extra hot mustard was just heavenly. If we weren't stopping anywhere else, I might have downed a couple of these. The sausage was good as well, but It felt kinda naked without the peppers and onions. That's why we could buy them to go! I could always take or leave sauerkraut. It always seemed to like a condiment for a hot dog or one of the building blocks of a pastrami reuben. This was the first time I ever imagined it as a stand alone side dish. It was sweet and sour with a good speckling of caraway seeds. I ended up buying a container of this along with 3lbs of pork chops to cook up this week. This jalapeno mustard had a nice tang to it and a very bold pepper flavor that kicked in immediately. Loved it! Benzee and Fox with Pat from Lutz's Next on the hit parade was Jimmy Buff's, home of the Italian Hot Dog. Italian Hot Dog, in repose. Jane and Michael & Jane, I think they liked your write-up in the recent edition of Roadfood. Billyboy and Jimmy Buff. Mr. Racioppi was kind enough to take a picture with me. Being a viideo game freak from way back, I was very excited to see that this game exists. Yippee-ki-yay!!! My single italian hot dog. I really loved this hot dog! I am glad I didn't order a full size as I would not have been up for the task on this day. Like a Pan Bagnat sandwich or a Muffaletta, this "pizza bread" is the perfect vehicle for this style of hot dog. I found it to be soft yet chewy with a fresh flavor and it held up nicely to the naughty greasy filling. I like how the mustard is on the bottom and ketchup can be applied to the top so that hot dog lovers of both camps (ketchup lovers & ketchup haters: the Montagues & Capulets of the hot dog world) can live in peace! Potatoes on a sandwich just makes sense to me. I've been putting fries on sandwiches for years and Primanti Bros. goes back even further. The peppers and onions worked well with the dog which had a good, slight crunch and snap as well as flavor. Beverages were on the house and Mr. Racioppi and his staff were most kind. Tank burger: Has anyone ever finished one of these? Buff mobile. That name just makes me laugh! Ahh, a 13 year old mind trapped in a 38-year old body. The last stop of the day was Pappy's Diner. I really dig this old-fashioned sign. Rumor has it a few people were obsessed with this clock. Sorry folks, I cam by with a Ryder truck the next day and it is MINE! All mine! My Texas hot. My Texas hot-Part 2. This shot really shows the onions. There was something green on them that I could not identify. I was not a fan of this dog at all. The dog was a bit bland, I was put off by the mystery flavor in the onions and the flavor of the chili really reminded me of Campbell's Vegetable soup. I know that wasn't it, but that is what immediately popped into my head. The gang at the end of a most tasty day! Billyboy with Benzee and John Fox. I was proud to have my photo taken with two great Roadfooders and great hot dog enthusiasts. 

Screenbear, thanks for being my bus partner and for some great conversation AND the ride to the train station!

John Sagi, thanks for the chili. I haven't tried it yet, but I think there is a cheese & chili stuffed burger in its future!

I look forward to next year!

"Eating is an adventure, enjoy the ride!"- billyboy, 2009
post edited by billyboy - 2009/09/30 16:26:50
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2339
Re:6th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sat. Sept 26th 2009 2009/09/28 19:12:43 (permalink)
Lutz

To the Hot Dog Mafia,

I would like to thank all of you for visiting Lutz Pork Store this past Saturday as part of your annual pilgramage.  You are always welcome to the store.  I would especially like to thank John Fox and Erwin Benz for their support and leadership.   Lastly, I will be creating Official "Hot Dog Mafia" membership/discount cards available at Lutz Pork Store, which will entitle the member to discounts and rewards for purchases at the store.

All the best,
Pat S.

Thank you Pat, for your generosity. And for having us. We all enjoyed visiting Lutz's and sampling your fine franks, wursts, brats, sausages and other meats. Many expected samples on toothpicks. We were surprised at the spread you put out. I knew everyone would like your products because I've had them before although Saturday was the first time I've had the bratwurst as I thought it had onions in it and avoided it in the past. I loved both the fresh and the Bavarian style. I think the Bavarian (cooked) style is my favorite. I sampled both as well as your delicious German style frank. Definitely worthy of the award as best in the nation. I've never had a fresher more tender hot dog anywhere!

Great name, Hot Dog Mafia. I want to be Godfather! Get those cards ready as I will be in later in the week when I have a day off. It's great that you can buy as little as 2 hot dogs or brats loose for lunch. Not many places in Jersey where you can do that. My only dilema is what to have for lunch Thursday when I'm off. Dogs or brats? Maybe a weisswurst? I'll see what I'm in the mood for. And whatever it is will go well with your coleslaw Just know that your generosity was appreciated and we loved your products. I heard attendees raving about what they ate and planning on returning soon. Thanks again.

John Fox
Re:6th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sat. Sept 26th 2009 2009/09/28 19:15:34 (permalink)
Billyboy,
               Nice post and pictures. It was great to finally meet you.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2009/09/28 19:52:30 (permalink)

Wow !!!

I have always loved Billyboys trip reports , and felt like I was right there with him . Now I can say I was and it is one perfect way to describe the day . Great pics and one of  my wifes favorite movies of all time is Shawsank Redemption so I'm honored to be compared to Morgan Freeman in that movie .Thank you

To finish off my report

part #2

Jimmy Buffs was fantastic like it is every year . Jimmy the owner was there taking orders himself with his son and staff taking care of  everything . Once again all the refreshments were on the house . A Big Thank You  also to Jimmy because we knew he had another appointment and he stayed until  we were gone . We were in the back party room and that can be seen on the Travel Channels Hot Dog Paradise show seen pretty often these days . Jimmy Buffs was picked , deservingly so as one of the best in the country and our own John Fox was interviewed and is on that show . Pretty cool being in the same place they filmed the show .

Jimmy picked out the winning raffle ticket and Coney Island Lou was the big winner . Second prize was a seat on next years tour to a member of John Hughes group . Congrats!!!  The remaining money went to our Bus Driver Dennis who once again got rave reviews , navigating the streets of New Jersey .

Next up was the final stop of the day Pappys Diner .  The staff was excellent , good service , and reports are a pretty good dog . The best part  was taking the group photos in front of with the owners , and then  they wanted us to take a second group pic in front of the clock . The official Pappys Diner clock , all I heard  was the  "  the big clock , the big clock " and pointing . So we headed over to the end of the rather large parking lot and took a second photo . Dennis our driver had about six or seven cameras lined up  on the ground and he went right down the line . How cool is that !!! 

When we returned to GHI , John Sagi handed out samples of his chili to all on the bus . Thanks John and also for the special gift . !!!

From my end of the trip I consider it one of  the smoothest yet , reservations , payments ,  bus parking , friendships on the bus , and the motorcoach , first class all the way .

Thanks again to

GHI for allowing us to start the tour and leave vehicles there

Lutzs for the buffet  of food gratis - Thanks again Pat!!

Jimmy Buffs for the use of party room and refreshments - Thanks James

John Sagi for the wonderful samples of chili for everyone

Billyboy for  the best trip report yet !!

To returnees like Screenbear , Coney Island Lou , Dave Puro , Mr Phil , Bad Dog , Natalie her Dad and friend , Rich Pawlak , John Hughes , Bill M., Fontaine , Kenneth MC  , Jimmy from the PO  and all in their groups
and newbies Bossa Nova , The Brysons, David Millers group , J Buff combos , Billyboy ,Applecheeks , Michael Kroe , The Mahers ,  and my radio show cohost " Hamburger " Walt  and all in their groups

.... and of course my partner Mr John Fox , truly Fantastic !!!!!!!!!!

Benzee
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6347
Re:6th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sat. Sept 26th 2009 2009/09/28 20:01:22 (permalink)
Wow...what a day you guys had...and what food...Jimmy Buff's Italian hotdog was a picture of perfection...I'm drooling...those potatoes,my God, look perfect!!!!
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 206
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/09/29 10:03:19 (permalink)
BILLY BOY,  you have a great advantage..................... penn station to THE RAHWAY GRILL !!!!!!!!  i don't know if you noticed, but the train station was right out to left of the GRILL. you can hop the train have lunch and continue to the JERSEY SHORE or head towards  TRENTON and PHILLY..............................

RAHWAY  Station is a top 5 stop on NJ TRANSIT LINES as ridership go's !!!!
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/09/29 20:20:50 (permalink)
Great reporting on what was obviously a tremendous tour of some seriously good food.  If Lutz's ever offers the "Hot Dog Mafia" cards for mail orders of their goods, I'd want to be part of that.  Thanks for sharing this report.
Benzee
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/09/29 21:28:04 (permalink)

Hey Buffalo TH ,

i think that would be a great idea and will pass along the suggestion to Pat the owner

Benzee
Fontaine
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/09/29 22:04:25 (permalink)
Great trip. I agree that Pappy's has great chili.

Rahway also has excellent cole slaw, and they will make a Carolina Dog for you (a dog with cole slaw)

I'd like to post thoughts about the next visit to Charlie's Pool Room, mentioning other places nearby:

Jimmy's on the Delaware changed hands again. The menu is smaller and I don't even know if they deep fry their dogs anymore, but the new owners make a fantastic homemade onion sauce.

Jimmy's Hot Dogs in 25th Street in Easton is an original - featuring a long pickle with every dog.

Pete's in Southside Bethlehem has been in business since the twenties. They have had a rivalry with another hot dog place right across the street for years. Bethlehem is about 13 miles from Easton, PA, which is across the Delaware from Alpha.

The guy mentioned in this recent newspaper article is down the street from Pete's in Bethlehem. Great hot dogs, but you better hurry to try them:

"A man in Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley says he's not taking his hot dog cart away from a Bethlehem parking space despite city officials refusing to extend a parking permit.

Edwin Padilla got a 10-day permit to place his hot dog cart all day in a south Bethlehem parking space that's normally limited to two-hour parking. But after complaints came from nearby restaurants, the city refused to extend the permit and it expired Saturday.

Padilla got a $10 parking ticket Monday afternoon for having his vehicle there longer than the two hours allowed. Bethlehem parking director Hector Nemes says as long as Padilla pays his tickets, there's nothing the city can do to stop him."

And there is the long battle of Potts's vs. Yocco's. Potts's is in Bethlehem, Yocco's is nearby.

And Dad's Hot Dogs, with two kinds of chili and thirty or so different toppings.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10475
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/09/30 08:42:56 (permalink)
As always, great trip report billyboy!  Just wonderful photos and descriptions.  It looks like another first class event for you guys.  Congrats to Benzee, John Fox and all the others.  I would love to attend one of your hot dog tours someday.
Applecheeks
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/09/30 10:51:03 (permalink)
Billyboy
What great photos. Makes me want to do the tour all over again.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/09/30 12:40:23 (permalink)
Have added videos at You Tube.........
Benzee
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/09/30 15:31:22 (permalink)

Hey Lou ,
First 40 seconds is pretty good , than you get a good view of the parking lot at Galloping Hill Inn

Thanks buffetmaster would love to have you aboard one of these  tours !!

Benzee
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/09/30 15:33:58 (permalink)
Benzee

Hey Lou ,
First 40 seconds is pretty good , than you get a good view of the parking lot at Galloping Hill Inn

Thanks buffetmaster would love to have you aboard one of these  tours !!

Benzee

There's more..just click on 'more from exapno'.....
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 206
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/09/30 16:12:50 (permalink)
Wife and i went to the Rahway Grill today , wife's first trip, wife like the dog, so that's a good thing !!! 

Fran the owner really expressed her thanks for such warm and great greeting she received from the 2009 NJHDT, over heard her telling 3 or 4 customers that they did real well with the Hot Dog Tour. i told her from the post i had read, that the Rahway Grill was TOP'S with the group.
Bossa Nova
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/09/30 21:26:40 (permalink)
This was my first hot dog tour and it was a real treat.  As much as I enjoyed tasting the hot dogs at some places that were new to me, the most enjoyable part was the fellowship with everyone on the tour.  It's a great group of people and was a fun day.  Many thanks to Benzee and John Fox for planning and organizing an interesting and well run tour.

My impressions of the 6 stops from best to worst:

#1  Rahway Grill   The best of the bunch and a place I will definitely return to.  The hot dog was excellent with nice snap and a good spicy taste.  It was nicely prepared on a flattop grill.  I had it with a very good chili and raw onions and loved it.  I understand from John Fox that these hot dogs are sold at Restaurant Depot and I will be picking some up to make at home.

#2 Lutz's Pork Store  Wow, what a spread they put out for us.  I had their award winning frank which was excellent and tasted my wife's kielbasa frank which was also fantastic.  Their home made sauerkraut was the best I've had.  We bought a bunch of stuff to take home and I can attest to the fact the the karbanosy and liverwurst are excellent.  We also bought some smoked ham hocks which my wife used in a split pea soup and both the soup and ham were excellent.

#3 Jimmy Buffs  I had the "Syd's" Dog which was well prepared and tasty as always.  I tried it with their "bolognese" chili sauce which tasted great but totally overwhelmed the flimsy standard hot dog bun requiring  a knife and fork to be used to eat it.  I'd just get mustard next time.  My wife had the single italian hot dog and while the pizza bread was excellent, I prefer the potatoes sliced thinner and the peppers and onions cooked longer (like at Frankly Burgers).

#4 Dees  A nice Sabrett served hot enough with excellent home made onion sauce was tasty and prepared just right.   She handled the 50 of us very quickly.

#5 Galloping Hill  The hot dog got lost in the large and excellent roll.  I'd get a double next time, there's just too much roll for a single small dog.  I had it with mustard and kraut and could barely taste the hot dog.  Fast efficient service and nice of them to let us park there all day.

#6 Pappy's Diner  This was my least favorite of the day.  I would have preferred the hot dog cooked longer.  It was both not hot enough and not cooked long enough for my taste.  This may have been due to the long line of 50 of us getting hot dogs at the same time but I was among the first 10 to be served so I don't know.  I also preferred the chili at both Rahway Grill and Jimmy Buffs but that's a matter of individual taste. I did think the woman running place was a great character though.

All in all a really wonderful and enjoyable day and I'm already looking forward to next year.  If only we had folks like John and Benzee to put together a pizza tour and an ice cream tour!  Thanks again to John and Benzee for putting it all together and to my fellow travelers for a great day.
John Fox
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/10/01 06:36:24 (permalink)
Bossa Nova,

Good to finally meet you. I've enjoyed your posts here and on other forums.

The article from the Local Source is online. See here:

http://www.unionnavigator.com/profiles/blogs/hot-dog-lovers-taste-the-best

Only thing is they cut off the last 2 sentences which read, Sherwood said he hoped to sample hot dogs at all six restaurants. "The mission is to taste all the best hot dogs in this area of New Jersey," Sherwood said.

Editor's note: Be sure to check out an exclusive media package on the Hot Dog Tour online at unionnavigator.com under the videos tab.

I did, but I guess they aren't up yet.

I'd also like to thank everyone for their opinions. Tatse; especially when it comes to chili is personal and subjective. I've noticed that opinion is mixed on Pappy's. It is my favorite chili in N.J. But I like this style. I also like the hot chili at Father & Son, but can only have one dog with it. I like the bolognese style at Buff's and Dee's as well as the tomatoey chili at Tony's and many other trucks around the state. I appreciate everyone's honesty when it comes to what you like and don't like. The feedback is important to me in picking the next year's itinerary.
post edited by John Fox - 2009/10/01 06:41:46
John Fox
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/10/01 06:50:29 (permalink)
There will be another article that will run this Sunday in the Morris County Daily Record. It will be the lead story in the People section.
John Fox
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/10/01 13:37:53 (permalink)
Benzee
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/10/01 15:03:39 (permalink)

I really have to scmooze a little more with the media on these  tours , so darn busy day of , think one of the reporters talked to me  at one stop . Oh well it is good publicity for the tour

Benzee
John Fox
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/10/01 19:11:59 (permalink)
The article this Sunday will be a little more comprehensive.
John Fox
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/10/04 08:08:53 (permalink)
The Daily Record article:

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20091004/LIFE/90930043/1005/NEWS01/Group-enjoys-quirky-celebration-of-one-of-America-s-most-popular-foods--the-hot-dog

In addition to the picture shown there was also a picture of Jimmy Buff's son preparing an Italian Hot Dog as well as a smaller picture of Jimmy. Screenbear, Benzee, John Sagi, and other memebers of the Hot Dog Mafia are quoted.
BadDog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/10/06 12:39:23 (permalink)
I can’t believe I finished my 3rd Hot Dog Tour!  I enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new ones.  For me, it’s as much fun watching us all as it is enjoying the dogs themselves.  Everyone has already said everything that should be said  but that never stopped me from expressing my opinion!

Galloping Hill Inn:  The first year I attended the tour, this was my least favorite dog- mainly because the roll didn’t seem fresh.  Last year, GHI redeemed itself and put out a respectable dog.  This year they continued on the path of redemption with a nice dog in a fresh bun.  I made the mistake of ordering one with hot relish.  The dog got overwhelmed with the spicy peppers- this was a bad choice I made not GHI.  As always the birch beer is a terrific companion to the dog.

Dee’s Truck:  I’m not a fan of a dirty water dog but Dee’s is at the top of the list for this method of cooking.  As others have said before me- cooked to the right temp without sitting in the water too long.  I had mine with chili which was a nice add to flavor of the dog without smothering it.  If I was in the neighborhood, I’d stop for one.

Rahway Grill:  My favorite dog of the hot dog joints on this trip.  The dog was perfectly done with good snap.  The chili was my favorite of the trip too (other than John Sagi’s).  This place is the quintessential hole-in-the-wall which supplies the perfect atmosphere for what you’re eating.  Friendly staff and I loved that the grill is right in the front window so you can’t help but see what’s cooking as you walk by.

Lutz Pork Store:  My favorite encased meats of the day.  Everything I tried was excellent, forcing me to buy stuff to bring home. I’m not a sauerkraut lover but this stuff was like heroin.  I had to have more so I bought some to go.  Pat and his staff were over-the-top friendly to our group and their generosity with the samples they prepared was great.  I WILL be back as a customer!

Jimmy Buff’s:  Last year I had a single Italian Dog and vowed that I would get a double this year.  The double is the only way to go on this beast!  Perfect potatoes, onions and great dogs stuffed into that delicious pizza bread.  Jimmy’s hospitality by opening up the party room supplying the drinks and taking the orders himself just underscored why the place is a legend.

Pappy’s Diner:  This place just proves my point about the fun of people watching as well as eating the dogs.  I thought it was a good dog but the chili didn’t have enough bite for me- different strokes.  I loved watching the lady who took our orders and rang us up.  Too bad Seinfeld is over.  As far as the clock goes…another 5 minutes of that music and I wouldn’t have been responsible for my actions!

Thanks to Benzee, John Fox and everyone else that made the trip possible.  You guys are the best!  Thanks also to John Sagi for going to all the trouble of cooking, lugging and passing out his homemade chili.  I love that stuff!

I’m already psyched for next year!

Doug
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/10/31 10:59:01 (permalink)
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to write a quick post about the tour, hey it's only a month late! I've been working rediculous hours (promotion good, crazy hours and awful commute bad). The tour was wonderful, it was my 4th one and my friend's 1st and we both had a great time. Nice to see everyone both old friends and new. The dogs were all good, I think this was my first tour where I ate at every stop. GHI is what it is. It's grown on me since my first tour and I finally like it even if the roll is too big and bulky for the dog. You also have to love Briar's birch beer on tap which is always a plus. Dee's truck was my favorite as I love my Sabrett dirty water dogs. Rahway Grill was ok. I don't think I loved the chili but the dog was good. I was of the opinion that Lutz's was handing out samples on toothpicks so I initially stayed on the bus. Boy am I glad I decided to go inside and see for myself. They were excellent dogs and such a huge spread for us... thank you Pat! Jimmy Buff's is always excellent, my mistake was getting the double Italian! I barely finished it. Pappy's Diner was good, I forget if I liked it or not though...doh I should have written this sooner. I did feel bad for the waitress who had to make about 100 milkshakes one after another. My friend and I tossed her a few bucks though. All in all another great tour. John Fox with his encyclopedic hot dog knowledge and for the itinerary, thank you. Benzee, thank you for your organization of the tour year after year, especially now that you really can't eat any dogs. How's retirement treating you? John Sagi, the chili was delicious, forget about the website...open up a dog stand! If I'm forgetting anyone I apologize. It was nice to see everyone again and I'll hopefully see everyone next year.

Dave
Benzee
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/11/01 10:56:34 (permalink)

Hello all ,

Great to see you posting Dave , and the kind words thank you .

Next up is a Benefit for a worker at Jimmy Buffs East Hanover .
Monday Nov 16th 4 - 8 pm
$10 bucks all the dogs you can eat
The worker is dying of cancer and his one wish is to go home to his family in  South America .
Jimmy has asked all of us Hot Dog lovers to join him in the fundrasier .
John Fox and I will be there .

After that is a Holiday Meet at Coney Island Rest. in Middletown NY , sometime Christmas week date TBA

We are planning a Hudson Valley Hot Dog Tour for April or May , possibly with a school bus or motorcoach . CI Lou will be assisiting in this endeavor

And of course the 7th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour will be in Sept next yr .

I'm sure we will also make another trek over to Charlies in the spring or summer also !!

Benzee
meathead
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:6th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour - TRIP REPORTS from 9/26/09 2009/11/09 09:33:25 (permalink)
WOW! Wish I could've been on the tour! If you ever want to hit the hot dog stands of Chicago, let me know. Here's my top 5. I've not had time to write up the scores of others.
http://amazingribs.com/re...st_hot_dog_stands.html

For more about hot dogs
http://amazingribs.com/re...nd_sausages/index.html

Remember, no rules in the bedrom or kitchen,
Craig "Meathead" Goldwyn

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 30 of 43
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1