Hot!11th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 13th , 2014 - past trip reports

Page: << < ..414243 > Showing page 42 of 43
Author
a71678
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/06/20 16:03:41 (permalink)
How much does it cost to join the tour, if you don't mind my asking?
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1873
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/06/25 22:14:16 (permalink)
Hello all ,
$35 per person includes R/T Deluxe Motorcoach and refreshments on bus
We expect to be getting at least one T shirt gratis thanks to one of the stops , possibly two shirts .
Benzee
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/08/09 18:35:38 (permalink)

The itinerary is set for the Ninth Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. Once again we expect to fill 2 buses. There are still some seats left. If you are interested in attending, please contact Erwin Benz at benzee95@hotmail.com. The Tour is on Saturday, September 22.

Because this Tour has gotten so big it does take a bit longer for us to get from one stop to another. In the beginning we had one bus. We added another and can fill more but 110 people is enough to be descending on any one place. One bus would be the perfect size but we would like to include as many people as we can. Because of this we can't choose a lot of places that I would like to have on the Tour. We also have time constraints. We seek to add new stops each year plus rotate old favorites. Galloping Hill Inn is the only stop that has been on the Tour every year since they are kind enough to let us use their lot, it is conveniet to get to being right off the Parkway, and it is one of the best and most popular hot dog stands in the state. Because of the time constraints and the size of our group Benzee and I almost had to pay a considerable fee for coming back late last year. This is why Jimmy Buff's East Hanover is not included on the Tour this year. Jimmy did a great job and because he serves a unique style of hot dog that his family originated, was an exception as far as being on the Tour the last 5 years despite being much further away from the rest of the stops. There will be at least 2 stops that will be serving a top notch Italian Hot Dog on the Tour this year.

This year the stops will be close to each other. I don't want to be rushed and we will have enough time so that if we finish early enough we might be able to squeeze in another stop. The order will not be determined until I find out what time a television crew will be at one of the stops to do a piece on the Tour. I'm told that this will be more than just a couple of minutes which is another reason why we're being careful about the time. I want to be able to have us spend some extra time at this particular place.

Without further ado, the itinerary. And again the order is yet to be determined.

1) Galloping Hill Inn, Union. Our starting point and always the first stop. We meet at around 11:30 and plan on departing for the next stop at noon. The dogs here are a grilled 6/1 collagen casing beef and pork blend from Grote & Weigel of Conn. based on a recipe from Gaiser's Pork Store in Union, N.J. A very good hot dog and the favorite of many; especially our New York contingent. Basic toppings and a very good Dusseldorf mustard. A large and unique bun that is good quality but some consider too big. I usually get a double but you might want to pace yourself. There will be 6 stops so you may want to share or even skip a place that you may not like. Some do not eat dogs with pork.

2) Manny's Texas Weiners, Union. Manny's has been on the Tour a few times and serves a Jersey special; the Texas Weiner. A grilled 6/1 beef/pork dog from Grote & Weigel. This is their standard recipe frank. GHI above is one of the few places that does have a special recipe frank. The chili here is dark, thick, and spicy. Manny's is able to seat our entire group and serve us quickly. Amazing service and a good example of a Jersey Texas Weiner.

3) Uncle Petey's Weenies, Colonia. One of the better hot dog trucks in the state. The basic dog here is an 11/1 boiled or "dirty water" Sabrett. Common among carts and trucks. When judging these places I look for natural casing first and if the dogs are hot and fresh. Yes and yes here. Prepared perfectly. What sets Pete apart from almost every other truck is that he has a griddle and offers more than a dirty water Sabrett. He is the first truck I know of that offered an authentic Newark style Italian Hot Dog. Very good and with pizza bread. You will have to come back for this one as it won't be offered on the Tour because it would take too long with over 100 people attending. Petey's does offer a grilled beef and pork frank that he gets from a butcher shop. I've had it and it's excellent. Natural casing and bigger than 4/1. Closer to 3/1. These will be available for the Tour. It might be a good idea to share one of these since they are so big. Pete offers the standard toppings including a spicy homemade chili.

4) Marci's Dog House, Clark. Marci's is another truck specializing in dirty water Sabretts. The basic dog here is a 10/1 natural casing Sabrett. Homemade toppings include 2 homemade chilis and an outstanding homemade sauerkraut called Strubelkraut. Marci's has a griddle and a deep fryer. He also offers an outstanding Italian Hot Dog which is my personal favorite. There will be extra people on hand to help and the Italian Hot Dog will be available for the Tour. In addition to the dirty water Sabrett and IHD, Marci's offers a 6/1 natural casing all beef dog from Best Provisions. It's great to see that hot dog trucks now are not limited to just dirty water dogs. Marci's and Uncle Petey's have grills and make authentic Italian Hot Dogs that are as good as, or surpass the quality of the bigger places that specialize in them.

5) Jerry's Famous Frankfurters, Elizabeth. Jerry's is a walk up storefront that serves up some of the best dogs I've had. The frank here is an 8/1 natural casing frank from Best's. It's prepared a unique way here. Boiled, then finished off in a steel compartment that is like a grill. This adds a little snap and flavor. Delicious and easy to down 4 or 5 in a sitting. Standard toppings including a homemade chili that resembles a Paterson area Texas Weiner chili. You can taste a little clove/nutmeg. These dogs are great with just mustard. Other than Galloping Hill Inn which is down the street from where I live; I've probably eaten more hot dogs from Jerry's than any place else.

6) Tommy's Sausage and Italian Hot Dogs, Elizabeth. Two doors down from Jerry's, Tommy's is known for their Italian Hot Dogs and sausage sandwiches. But they do serve regular hot dogs. The regular dogs are 8/1 Best's that are boiled. I would suggest getting a regular dog at Jerry's and an Italian dog or sausage sandwich at Tommy's. But Tommy's does have their own homemade chili. I've never had it since there are onions in it that are visible. I've heard it's a spicy chili. The sausage here is homemade and considered very good although I've never had it because I've always gotten an Italian Hot Dog. Tommy's is popular for their IHD's. Named the best in the state by the Star Ledger in 2006, it is definitely one of the three or so best in my opinion.

There are a lot of choices here. I encourage sharing and if you live in state or nearby, returning to sample some of the other dogs (and topping combinations) offered by these fine places. The Tour has been to 4 of the stops previously so I know that they can handle our large group. Uncle Petey's and Marci's are new to the Tour but they will have extra people on hand and I can guarantee that they will provide excellent service.

It will be a fun day. Again I urge everyone to pace yourself. I wouldn't fill up on things such as french fries because it may cause you to have to miss a hot dog later. Remember, this is a hot dog tour. But eat what you want. Manny's has a Diner's menu and some decide to order something else as a change of pace. This is the highlight of my year and a time to see old friends and meet new ones. And to eat great hot dogs. Please be on time as we hope to depart Galloping Hill Inn by noon and sometimes we are stuck waiting for those who haven't shown up. I will give out my phone number shortly before the Tour so that you can contact me if you can't make it or get lost.

See everyone on the 22nd.
Benzee
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/08/22 14:20:43 (permalink)
Hello all ,
We are one month out to the 9th annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour , a few seats are still available .
Great intinerary once  again by John Fox
We will have a mention in the Sept 2nd NY Times so if you are interested plea let me know before than.
Also getting weekly  coverage  on Access #23 TV Time Warner in the Hudson Valley
There will be some special guests and suprises , expect some TV  and internet coverage as well
 We will be planning the 10th Annual for 2013 shortly as well .
You can go to Facebook - Hot Dog Nation page for daily updated info an to talk as well

Benzee
Benzee
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/07 21:03:45 (permalink)
Hello all ,
A few weeks till the 9th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour on Sat Sept 22nd and then we will  be on our way to the 10th Annual in 2013 . Anyone interested in up to the minute news on the tour  feel free to visit   the Hot Dgog Nation page on Facebook or message me here .
Benzee
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/10 10:16:51 (permalink)
Hooray, 

Only 12 days until the 9th Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. I'm psyched. How about you?

The Bear
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/11 10:13:55 (permalink)

post edited by ellen4641 - 2012/09/11 22:45:06
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/11 12:19:35 (permalink)

post edited by ellen4641 - 2012/09/11 22:45:54
Benzee
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/11 15:05:58 (permalink)
Hello all ,
Coney Island Lou who normally puts together a official tour shirt could not get it done this yr .
We are  hoping for shirts  for all at one of the stops and will have some more for  raffle prizes during the tour .
We have had to switch to two air conditioned school busses due to a scheduling error .
The cost is reduced to $30 per person and the additional 5 will go towards the raffle and 50/50 with 50 % going to the drivers tip , or i will refund it to you and you are not in on the raffles
The trip is sold out and anyone wishing to be on the waiting list feel free to pm me here or at Hot dog Nation on FB

NOTE: The 10th annual is booked and scheduled for Sat Sept 21st 2013 .  John and I will be handling the shirts which will be included in the price of the tour . We will be taking reservations for next yr on this yrs tour , first come first serve .

Benzee
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/11 16:24:48 (permalink)
Hey, Benzee,
I got a few phone calls today from friends, who told me Lou is gonna be able to come thru with the T-shirts, after all.   I just ordered 4 of them.  Perhaps he can post the link on here, for others who are interested.

I remember those school busses from our HDT 3 or 4 years ago.  They were bumpy, but cozy, LOL.
At first I thought u were joking, April Fools style (!!), when u said we're gonna be downsized to the school busses this year.    It's ok, it's all about the food & the comraderie, anyway .

Special shout out to my good friend in Massachusetts, GREGG SIMONSEN !!
I'm so glad I was able to nudge U to send in  35 bucks to Benzee for our HDT !!
(hey, we don't know for sure if you're gonna be able to actually MAKE IT  on the tour, but at least u sent in your 35 bucks, LOL !!  )
post edited by ellen4641 - 2012/09/11 22:55:46
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 749
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/13 09:08:47 (permalink)
OK folks - for those that did not see - the shirt is available here:  https://www.bsnteamsports.com/index.php - enter this code: hotdog6Q6  place the order and I will get the delivery and distribute at Galloping Hill Inn 

THIS MUST BE ORDERED BY TONIGHT 9/13!!!!!!!

sorry for the delay - many many hassles getting this done this year!! 
Benzee
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/13 16:59:13 (permalink)
Hello all ,
Please do not contact John or I on the shirts , this is Lous dept for the tour this yr .
I have already gotten emails and FB questions , contact Lou we are not getting involved .
Love the shirt thank Lou , dont get the shirt blame Lou , hate the shirt dont buy it (:
You get the idea but dont contact us thanks
No Ellen it was not a joke , full size AC school busses that hold less than the motorcoach so we are SOLD OUT
Not  downsized on purpose , there was a scheduling error with company .
Looking forward to seeing everyone soon

Benzee
Benzee
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/17 10:02:09 (permalink)
Hello all ,
Less than a week to go for the 9th Annual Tour , all set to go . 10th Annual is already scheduled for next yr and reservations will be accepted day of for those on this yrs tour . Go to FB to see the date or I will post on here next week with a trip report as well .
Thanks to John for all his work in planning out the stops . Certainly a highlight of the yr for many
Benzee
John Fox
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/17 20:08:13 (permalink)
The highlight of the year for me. Thanks to Benzee who does the lion's share of the work for this Tour.
Bill M
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/19 22:32:06 (permalink)
what time is everyone meeting at GHI?

Bill M
John Fox
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/20 06:55:50 (permalink)
Around 11:30. Bus will depart GHI at 12 noon.
Benzee
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/21 22:14:23 (permalink)
Hello all ,
Thanks in advance of tommorrows 9th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour presented by Hot dog Nation , to John Fox who  picks the stops and coordinates with each stop to ensure quick and efficient service .
We will be meeting at GHI between 11 am and Noon and the busses wil depart at Noon for the  stops .
Looking forward to seeing old friends and new ones and anyone that cannot make the entire tour is welcome to stop by and say hello to us at the beginning or any of the stops .

I cannot believe this will be the 9th year we are doing this tour , amazing .
By the way the 10th annual is already booked for Sat Sept 21st , 2013

Benzee
Benzee
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/22 08:19:35 (permalink)
Hello all ,
We have had some cancelations in the last few days and have seats available for anyone interested , tour starts at GHI about 1130
Benzee
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2886
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/22 10:35:05 (permalink)
Have fun everyone!

Benzee
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/22 21:46:19 (permalink)
Hello all ,
Great tour again as usual , reports will be coming in soon , you can go to our Hot Dog Nation Facebook page for many pics and reports already up as well
Benzee
John Fox
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/22 23:39:16 (permalink)

Thank you to Benzee for all the work he did for this Tour. And thanks to the owners and people who provided us with great food and great service. And thanks to all who attended the Ninth Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. You made this a special day for me. It was nice to have my family attend and my father show up. Thanks to Rob Marciano for the wonderful cake and to all who provided gifts to be raffled off. Shirts from Uncle Petey, Mustard slaw from Mista Dale, hot dogs from David Rosseler, CD's from Benzee, hats and shirts from Rob Merlino. Thanks Rob for filming and recording this event. Thanks also to ScreenBear who provided commentary and described each stop and what they offer.

I also appreciate all the pictures and comments included here. As for the dogs I always take a poll asking for favorite dog of the day. Some years one place gets most of the votes, other years it's more spread out. This year each place got it's share of the votes. I loved all of the dogs I had. Can't pick a favorite today. Loved the cake at Marci's and the chee... secake at Manny's. I ate so much I had to take a nap.

Some brief comments. I passed on the dog at Galloping Hill Inn. I live down the street and can have one anytime. At Marci's I had his regular Sabrett but with Mista Dale's mustard slaw. There are like 4 kinds. I had the regular. Very good and reminiscent of Rutts Hut relish. Excellent dog. Then to Uncle Petey's. I had his jumbo, which is a pork/beef dog from a North Jersey butcher shop. Split it with my wife. Very good. Prepared in water and on the grill. It's great that trucks like Pete's and Marci's offer grilled dogs. I had another dog at Pete's. He just introduced a 7/1 beef dog from the same butcher. It's all beef, but very mild in the German style. Doesn't have the garlic and paprika that a Sabrett or Best's has. Similar spicing to the beef/pork frank. I liked it and it's my favorite dog out of the three he offers.

Jerry's in Elizabeth was next. An 8/1 natural casing Best's boiled, then grilled. Very popular today and one of my very favorite hot dogs. It was good, but not as flavorful as usual. I believe this was because the owner had a lot of dogs in the water for longer than usual. Ellen commented the same thing. I went back when everyone was served and ordered another dog. It was much better. Got almost as many votes for favorite dog as did Tommy's which was next. Tommy's serves a massive Italian Hot Dog as well as a regualr 8/1 Best's. Almost everyone ordered single Italian Hot Dogs. Most I spoke with said this was the best Italian Hot Dog they ever had. The potatoes were especially delicious and were ordered by many as a side dish in a cup.

Last, but not least was Manny's. We got to relax inside and service was fast like it always is. They serve a grilled Texas Weiner; Grote & Weigel 6/1 with a dark, spicy, thick chili. The favorite of more than a few.

Thanks again to everyone who made this a great day. Already looking forward to next year's Tour.

John Fox
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/26 10:11:29 (permalink)
An article and video of the Tour. Main video is at the bottom. This perfectly captures what the Tour is about.

http://hotdogstories.com/the-9th-annual-new-jersey-hot-dog-tour/
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1588
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/26 22:16:59 (permalink)
Sorry I missed the tour this year, but thanks for the link to that great video, really well done.

I had a long-standing commitment to attend a retirement party at our branch in Pittsfield MA on Friday night and spent the night there. I did get to Teo's Hot Dogs in Pittsfield and started off my own party with 4 little dogs and a draft Genny Cream Ale.

Coming home Saturday I stopped for dogs at Capitol Lunch and Sycamore Drive in in CT and was thinking of you guys all the way.

Benzee
Re:8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 24th , 2011 - past trip reports 2012/09/28 21:55:22 (permalink)
Hello all ,
As usual John nails the report . It was a fantastic day spent with roadfooders , hot dog nation , friends , family and more friends . It was a pleasure meeting new friends Rob from Marcis  Dog House and Pete from Petey Weenies . Rob Merlino of hot Dog Stories covered the entire event and did a great job , video shows that .
Manny from Texas Weiners once again greeted us all , a pleasure always seeing him .
Oh did I say the food was  good at all the stops .
Thanks again to Galloping Hill Inn for allowing us to use their establishment as the starting point for all these yrs .
We had some great raffle prizes including 10 shirts from Unlce Petey Weenies , Mista Dales Slaw and Johns huge birthday cake from Marcis Dog House ,  6 Cd's from National Recording acts I donated , Two  CI Lou  Tour shirts  donated by Christopher Donald. More hats and shirts from Rob Merlino and Onion Crunch . And Roeslers Hot dogs bought down by Jon Sullivan .
Great talking to all the returnees and meeting our newbees , including those that we found thanks to the NY Times piece in their Sunday paper a few weeks back .

To Screenbear for his Emceeing the second bus , rave reviews once again .
And to John Fox , who meticulously picks out the stops every yr , with some input from  me , and who finds out all there is to know about each stop , history , style , etc .
Thank you John it is with amazement every yr that I watch and listen and learn some more
Our 10th Annual NJ hot Dog Tour is scheduled for Sat Sept 21 st , 2013 . BE THERE !! . Message me if interested or go to Hot Dog Nation on Facebook for more info

Benzee
bostonhotdogman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:9th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 22th , 2012 - past trip reports 2012/10/02 01:57:34 (permalink)
It was a fun event. I will be in Jersey before next year's tour (which I plan on attending). While in Jersey, I want to explore the Italian hot dog some more. I'll probably stop at a few different places. Thanks to John and Benzee for inviting me down and I am looking forward to next year!

-Rob "The Hotdogman"
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
Re:9th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 22th , 2012 - past trip reports 2012/10/03 21:28:06 (permalink)
Hotdogman, 
 If your visit comes on a Saturday and the creek ain't rising, I'd be happy to help point the way.

The Bear
  Docent, Bus #2, 9th Annual N.J. Hot Dog Tour
bostonhotdogman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:9th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 22th , 2012 - past trip reports 2012/10/03 22:50:51 (permalink)
Will do, Bear!
Benzee
Re:9th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 22th , 2012 - past trip reports 2012/11/21 22:47:46 (permalink)
The 10th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour will be held on Sat sept 21 st , 2013 .
We will have one motorcoach , so reserve early please if interested .
John and I are already working on a super special intinerary that will take into account some of our favorite stops over the years .
No seats will be held without payment , including media contacts .
Contact me for reservations .

Benzee
Benzee
Re:9th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 22th , 2012 - past trip reports 2012/12/24 21:33:24 (permalink)
Hello all ,
Everyone at Hot Dog Nation the official Facebook page of the Annual Jersey hot Dog Tours would like to wish everyone a Happy Holiday season .
Antone interested in joining us next yr for the 10th  Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour please PM me here or on FB at Erwin Benz or Hot Dog Nation.
One motorcoach , seven stops , hot dog nirvana .
Benzee
Benzee
Re:9th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 22th , 2012 - past trip reports 2013/03/19 15:17:31 (permalink)
Hello all ,
One motorcoach for the 10th Annual is filling nicely .
Those interestred at hopping onboard can pm me here or email
benzee95@hotmail.com
or Erwin Benz on Facebook
Benzee
Page: << < ..414243 > Showing page 42 of 43
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1