Hot!12th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 12th , 2015 - past trip reports

Page: << < ..414243 Showing page 43 of 43
Author
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1878
Re:9th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 22th , 2012 - past trip reports 2013/03/19 15:17:31 (permalink)
Hello all ,
One motorcoach for the 10th Annual is filling nicely .
Those interestred at hopping onboard can pm me here or email
benzee95@hotmail.com
or Erwin Benz on Facebook
Benzee
teraham
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/06/08 11:51:26 (permalink)
Hi,

I am getting married in NYC on October6, 2013 at Riverside Church (120th and Riverside Dr). I would love to have a hot dog stand outside the church at the end of the wedding (11:30 pm) to provide hot dogs to my guests (60-75ppl) as a late night snack. I would be willing to pre-pay the vendor for the hotdogs. I would imagine they would only need to be there for about 30/45 minutes.

Do you have any suggestions of who I might call to provide such a service?

Thank you for your time.

Tera hammonds
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2339
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/08/04 05:03:25 (permalink)

The 10th Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour will be Saturday, September 21st. It is sold out with a waiting list as there are usually some cancellations. The itinerary is finalized. As always there are a couple of new stops while old favorites are rotated. This year's itinerary includes 2 new stops, one that is a repeat from last year, and some that we haven't been to in awhile. All represent some of what I consider the finest in their respective styles. Since there is one large bus this year instead of two, we will have the time to include an extra stop. Perhaps next year we will move the Tour further south. The stops are listed below with a brief description. Please note that with the exception of our starting point, the order has not been determined yet. I want to leave that open because I am currently talking to two television stations in the hopes of having at least one of them cover the Tour. It's probable that they would want to meet at a prticular place and time.

1) Galloping Hill Inn, Union. Our starting point and the only place that has been on every tour. They are kind enough to let us use their huge parking lot and serve one of the finest hot dogs in Jersey. A grilled (griddled) 6/1 special blend beef/pork frank from Grote & Weigel. One of the few places that serves a dog made special for them. It is based on a recipe from a small pork store in Union that used to provide these dogs to the GHI. It has a collagen casing and is served on a unique, harder football shaped bun. Only the Hot Grill in Clifton serves more hot dogs in the course of a day.

2) Marci's Dog House, Clark. A repeat from last year. Their dogs were so good that they have been added again as a stop. And, unlike last year, they have 2 new dogs. The premium 8/1 Hatfield (griddled) that was such a hit on past Tours at the Rahway Grill. And a special recipe from Hatfield that is made just for Marci's. Another instance of a place serving a dog made for them. This is welcome and rare as most in the business who claim this are lying. But Marci's and the GHI are truly offering dogs you cannot get elsewhere and made only for them. The special recipe dog at Marci's has a slightly different spicing and is bigger; about 6/1. Also available is the Sabrett 10/1 with Marci's excellent toppings. Named the state's best hot dog truck by the Star Ledger. They also make a great Italian Hot Dog.

3) Jimmy Buff's Kenilworth. A new stop. This location is a few years old and along with West Orange are the only two remaining Jimmy Buff's retaurants. The others, including East Hanover, which has been on the Tour 5 years, have closed. This Jimmy Buff's, in my opinion, is the best out of all the locations I've been to. And along with Tommy's and Marci's Dog House, one of the 3 best establishments serving this unique sandwich. This location is thriving despite being 2 blocks away from a big name competitor. Jimmy Buff's serves the traditional Italian Hot Dog. This particular place is known for better bread, bigger dogs, and more peppers and potatoes. A substantial, quality Italian Hot Dog. Big roomy retaurant also.

4) Father & Son, Linden. A past favorite on the Tour. It's been awhile since they were included. They had different owners a few years ago and service was lax and the dogs weren't served hot and fresh. This has changed in the past year as new owners bought and revived the place. Father & Son is back to what it was years ago. Same chili and dogs. An all beef natural casing 8/1 Grote & Weigel frank that is available nowhere else in Jersey. Topped with one of the spiciest and best chili's. A popular stop in the past. I'm glad to be able to include them again.

5) Munce's, Rahway. Munce's, in my opinion is one of the 3 finest hot dog trucks in Jersey. Stuart Burnett owns Munce's and is doing a great job. He has a tasty homemade chili that is one of my 3 favorites. Slightly sweet, unique, and very pleasing. Munce's serves a standard 10/1 natural casing Sabrett that is always fresh and hot. Prepared perfectly. But they also have what I consider one of the best, if not the best, butcher shop dogs around. Slightly bigger than the Sabrett, it is milder, with a wider array of subtler spices. An excellent dog and one of my favorites. A brand new stop on the Tour.

6) The Hot Grill, Clifton. On the Tour once before, it's time to bring them back. A classic North Jersey Paterson/Clifton area Texas Weiner. They serve more hot dogs than any New Jersey establishment. A deep fried beef/pork frank topped with mustard, onions, and a thin chili sauce that has cloves, nutmeg, and allspice. Not for everyone, but wildly popular in North Jersey. One of the most consistent places as far as the temperature of the franks and chili. The dogs (they use 8/1 Sabrett beef/pork and 8/1 Grote & Weigel beef/pork) are fried twice. They sell their chili to go. My favorite place for a Texas Weiner. A favorite of Tommy John and former President Richard Nixon.

7) Rutt's Hut, Clifton. Easily the most well known hot dog joint in Jersey. And one of the best. Around since 1928, Rutt's is known for their deep fried dogs. You can get them served to various degrees of doneness. From the in-n-outer, to the ripper, to the weller, to the cremator. Rutt's uses a special frank made for deep frying. Made by Thumann's, it is beef and pork, 8 to a lb. Rutt's homemade relish is like no other and perfectly complements their deep fried dogs.

As I mentioned, this Tour is sold out, but you can add your name to the waiting list. There will not be another bus added.
Benzee
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/08/27 20:12:00 (permalink)
1999 Nathans Hot Dog Eating Champion Steve Keiner is joining us on the tour this year
Benzee
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3006
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/09/02 18:10:39 (permalink)
Hope you guys and gals knock it outta the park with a great day!
Benzee
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/09/03 15:35:47 (permalink)
Hello all ,
The 10th  Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour is SOLD OUT and has been for sometime but due to a few cancelations we were able to get some from the waiting list onboard .
Special Guest 1999 Nathans Hot Dog Champion Steve Keiner will be with us this year . He is a pleasure to talk to and take pics with .
Plenty of roadfooders are coming along too , they  may not post here much anymore but are all on  Hot Dog Nation on FB , anyone nterested in joining the page can request membership and John Fox or I will approve you . Might want to shoot me your roadfooder name as well so we know who you are.
Some attendees will be
Benzee
Hot Dog King
Coney Island Lou
Bad Dog
Screenbear
Billyboy

and more
plus attendees as far away as San Fran and Alabama

Benzee
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/09/05 20:49:42 (permalink)
I'm psyched and have begun my pre-tour training in earnest. You know, couple Best all-beefs on Monday, some Hatfield all-beefs on Tuesday...a few Thumann's pork/beefs Wednesday, a selection of All-Beef and pork/beef Sabretts Thursday, etc. , etc, with an Italian Hot Dog every other day just to keep me grounded. No different than how most folks train. It's gonna be glorious. 

The Bear
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6460
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/09/06 18:04:08 (permalink)
The Bear - You are wearing stretchy pants when training like that arent you??  This sounds like another great trip.  I need to work my schedule out better so I can head East and enjoy the trip, the dawgs and the company!
Benzee
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/09/08 21:51:49 (permalink)
We should have the 11th annual date set by the end of the 10th annual tour on Sat Sept 21 st Cajun .
Once its set it stays that date as we have attendees flying in from San Fran , Florida ,  and Alabama this yr and most yrs from far away places .
Hope  you can join us one yr

Benzee
Bill M
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/09/16 20:57:21 (permalink)
what time is the bus leaving GHI?
thanks
Bill M

Benzee
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/09/18 00:17:18 (permalink)
Hello all ,

The deluxe motorcoach departs Galloping Hill Inn at Noon , arrivals begin at 11 am

We have a coulple of seats available on the motorcoach due to cancelation , message me or email benzee95@hotmail.com
$35 per person for motorcoach and some giveaways  TBA
Steve Keiner 1999 Nathans Hot Dog Eating Champion is our special Guest this yr
Benzee
John Fox
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/09/19 20:32:09 (permalink)

The 10th Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour is less than 2 days away! For those attending, the order will be: Galloping Hill Inn, Jimmy Buff's Kenilworth, Marci's, Father & Son, Munce's, Hot Grill, and Rutt's Hut.

I spoke with the people who run these establishments and everything is set. See the pinned post above for information on the these places as well as what they offer. Marci's will have in addition to their Sabrett dirty water dog, the special Hatfield griller made especially for them, as well as the Syd's dog. They will not be offering their Italian Hot Dog. Munce's will also have a dog from a local butcher shop that is fantastic.

Let me make a few suggestions. First, pace yourself. Many of us can eat 7 hot dogs over the course of a day. Those who can't, or don't want to, are encouraged to share, skip a place that has a particular dog or method of preparation that you may not care for, or get the dog to eat at another time. You may not want to fill up on items like french fries in order to leave room for hot dogs. Or else eat them as a change of pace if you want.

Another suggestion: if you live anywhere near this particular area, you've probably had a Sabrett frank before. Done right, they are excellent. But the two stops that offer them have other options that you may not have had. Or had in a long time. Marci's offers the Syd's dog prepared exactly like Syd's. In water, then charbroiled. It is my favorite hot dog. Marci's also has a premium hot dog from Hatfield that really is made special for him. Similar to Hatfield's premium beef dog (but bigger with a slightly different spicing) this is one of the best beef dogs I've sampled. And you can only get it here.

Munce's also offers another dog in addition to his fine natural casing Sabretts. It is from a local butcher and is one of the 2 or 3 best hot dogs I've had in this style. Of course you can get one of these dogs AND a Sabrett. Just giving some suggestions and options.

Out of all the Tours, I believe this one has the widest variety of hot dog choices as well as the best quality dogs offered. Thanks to my partner Benzee who worked his butt off in preparation for this Tour. And to Screenbear, who has agreed to be the narrator/tour guide again this year. In years past, he did one bus, I did the other. We will have one bus this year, and since he does such a great job, (see the video of last year's Tour), he will be doing the honors on the bus this year.

It will be a fun day and the weather should cooperate. Looking forward to seeing everyone that will be attending this year.
John Fox
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/09/22 10:10:23 (permalink)

The 10th Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour is in the books. Thanks to my partner Benzee who put in a lot of work in preparation for this Tour. Screenbear who did a great job as Tour narrator. Dennis our driver. Rob Merlino who spent the day filming the Tour for Hotdogstories.com. Barbara from nj.com. The men and women who run the establishments we visited. They all provided excellent food and service. Last, but not least those of you who attended. You made it a fun day. It's nice to see old friends and to meet new ones.

We had people attend from Alabama, San Francisco, and surrounding states. A lot of travelling after a long day of eating hot dogs. Please feel free to post pictures and opinions.

I thought this Tour had the widest varieties of hot dogs. We had the Syd's dog, a special premium Hatfield dog, a terrific Italian Hot Dog, a locally made top quality frank from a butcher, an authentic Texas Weiner, dirty water Sabretts, the deep fried dog... at Rutt's, and the quality dog from the GHI. Plus all the fantastic homemade toppings. Chili, kraut, relish; all great and made to perfectly complement a hot dog. I always ask for favorites on the bus. This year every place had at least a few people who considered them their favorite. Rutt's Hut, which most either love or hate, proved to be one of the top favorites this year. The Syd's dog from Marci's was right up there as well as the chili dogs from Father & Son. But all the stops were well liked and they all provided good service. Of course there were a few that skipped Rutt's Hut even though they got as much or more votes for favorite dog as the others named.

I sampled every dog offered with the exception of the Sabretts. Seven stops; at least 10 different dogs offered. I enjoyed all of them. And they were all fresh, hot and well prepared. Some days I might enjoy one type or style of dog more than another. Depends on the mood. I would say that today I enjoyed all about the same, but if forced to pick a favorite it would be the Syd's dog from Marci's. Syd's was my favorite hot dog joint. Though they are gone, the company still makes these dogs. I'm glad that I can get them at the factory, but also that I can go out and have one at a place like Marci's. I wish that other places served this exceptional dog.

Thanks for making this my favorite day of the year. We are already planning for next year. Feel free to post pictures, opinions, and suggestions.
John Fox
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/09/22 10:21:50 (permalink)
Benzee
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/09/23 09:45:11 (permalink)
Hello all ,
Fantastic time was had by all .
Reports and pics on Facebook Page Hot Dog Nation
Also Johns link above to NJ . com that covered the tour

11th Annual will be Sat sept 27th , 2014 so make your plans early to join us

Big thanks to Terry and Mo Cooper who trekked in from San Fran CA and Norwood Fleming who came up from Alabama for the Tour . Two of th further distances form over the yrs

Benzee
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8497
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/09/23 20:28:43 (permalink)
Excellent pics! You guys rock!!!!!!!!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6460
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/09/24 19:18:28 (permalink)
John & Benzee

Another wonderful day and tour, looks like EVERYONE had a good time.  You two are AWESOME at setting this event up, looking forward to next year's activities.
Benzee
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2013/10/21 23:02:50 (permalink)
Hello all ,
The 11th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour will be Sat Sept 27th , 2014
We are going to be mixing it up a bit  more details to follow .
And don't know why my posts are posted twice twice hahahaa

benzee
post edited by Benzee - 2014/07/05 12:30:20
Benzee
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2014/02/10 14:23:31 (permalink)
Hello all ,

The 11th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour is filling up nicely . The date is Sat Sept 13th  . Please email me for reservations .
Cost is $40 per person .
We will have an expanded travel intinerary from Galloping Hill Inn our starting point .
benzee95@hotmail.com  or Hot Dog Nation on FB

Benzee
Benzee
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2014/03/10 21:49:11 (permalink)
Hello all ,
Feel free to contact me if you want to be a part of the 11th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour
So far we have reservations from as far away as  California , Alabama and  Florida
One motorcoach , limited seating so don't wait till the summer it will be sold out by then

Benzee
Benzee
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2014/07/05 12:28:21 (permalink)
Hello all ,
The 11th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour is SOLD OUT
Waiting list in effect
Go to FB page Hot Dog Nation for more info on it or send me a PM on here

Benzee
Benzee
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2014/08/11 22:49:44 (permalink)
Hello all
2nd Motorcoach has been added to the 11th annual NJ Hot Dog Tour
Exciting intinerary with new stops !!
Email or message me on here or Fb if interested
FB page - Hot Dog Nation
FB personal page - Erwin Benzee Benz

Benzee
Benzee
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2014/08/29 23:09:57 (permalink)
Legendary Actor Victor Matera from Scarface , Goodfellas , The Godfather 2 , I am Legend , Bronx Tale along with commercials and guest appearances on TV shows since the 70 s will be attending the tour this year . Two deluxe motorcoaches , six great stops and memories to last a lifetime with NJs Foremost Authority on Hot Dogs Mr John Fox leading the way . Message or email benzee95@hotmail.com to hop onboard
Benzee
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2014/09/09 23:53:03 (permalink)
Hello all , We have a few seats still available for Saturdays 11 th annual NJ Hot Dog Tour . Meeting at Galloping Hill Inn in Union NJ at 11 am . Depart for rest of tour at Noon . Two motorcoaches , celebrities ,media , and roadfooders from around the country . Hope to see everyone there
Benzee
Re:10th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 21th , 2013 - past trip reports 2014/09/23 14:23:09 (permalink)
Hello all ,

The 11th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour was a great success .
Pics and reviews on facebook.com/hotdognation page

12th Annual is already planned for Sat Sept 12th 2015

Benzee
Page: << < ..414243 Showing page 43 of 43
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1