Hot!11th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 13th , 2014 - past trip reports

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 43
Author
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/06/22 18:02:12 (permalink)
"Deus ex machina". You never know where the gods that run this site decide to hide things...

Cheers, John
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1877
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/06/22 23:20:51 (permalink)
Hello all ,
I visited Father and son one last time today , somber experience but a wonderful chili dog . I even got a quart of the chili too go and they wrapped it up nice with ice cubed for the ride home .
Also swung by J 's Beef on John Fox recomendationa and talked to the owner J . nice fellow , a stickler for putting your hands on the counter . Its too high and a natural to touch . Ohg well the Chicago style dogs were great , did not have a chili one there , I will have to get one on a return trip .
Do not know if it will be added to tour , but it is a different kind of dog with pickles , tomatoes , salt and pepper among other toppings .
Talked with John but our schedules did not allow for a visit today , perhaps in a few weeks we can get together for a dog or two .

Benzee
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6825
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/06/22 23:56:26 (permalink)
Nice pictures! Looks like you all had a great time and the dogs don't look too shabby too.

Seafarer, thanks for identifying the suspects, as I looked at them I was wondering, "Who's who??" Now we all have faces with the names.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/06/24 15:45:36 (permalink)
Hello all ,

The date is set for Sat. Sept 16th , 2006 for our next Jersey Hot Dog Tour . I have reserved an airconditioned school bus that will depart from Orange County , New York and meet everyone at the first Jersey stop .
Last year we started at Galloping Hill Inn , plenty of parking and access for the bus .
Coney Island Lou will begin work on the T Shirts shortly
John Fox will be putting together the intinerary
I will be taking the reservations for the bus .
We will also have soda and water in a cooler for those on the bus .
Father and Son is closing today . So long to a fine establishment . We visited last year on the tour , great chili dogs .
Any suggestions for stops , let us know .

Benzee
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/06/25 12:14:49 (permalink)

As long as I can get a Galloping Hill fix and a great THW at any place John Fox chooses I'll be a happy tourist.

Cheers, John
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/06/25 13:45:26 (permalink)
I'd like to stop at that place serving the Chicago style dogs. And of course, Syd's.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/06/26 17:59:15 (permalink)
Signman ,
I stopped at Js Beef when I visited Father and Son last week before they closed . Well worth the visit and a different type of Dog compared to the rest of the places.
We are leaving the intinerary to John , he has done a great job with picking the places .
I would put a vote in for J s Beef also .
Another for Syds of course.
I would also like to go to Mannys in Plainfield again . For those who were with us last year , we were treated like celebrities meeting Manny and his entire family .
Compare that with Tabatchnicks who were like " why are you here ?' and " why are you doing this " , and you could see why Mannys is a must .

Benzee
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2335
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/06/27 08:16:44 (permalink)
I would also like to go to J's Beef. They are the only place in the entire state that is serving an authentic Chicago Dog. THey also have authentic Chicago Beef. As for the itinerary, I've been to these places, and so have many of you. I don't see anything wrong with revisiting the good ones. We will try to get a consensus and go from there.
mrphil
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/06/27 15:42:42 (permalink)
If we can, I think we should continue to include Rutt's Hutt.

Mrs Phil won't be attending this year since little "Miss" Phil arrived 3 weeks ago and I doubt she's up for a tour in Sept. (Even though it seems she was with us on the last tour and we didn't even know it!)I think my brother in law will be coming with me this time. Either way, I'll be there!
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/06/27 17:20:56 (permalink)
I guess I'm a minority of one that disdains Rutt's Hut's relish. However, I'm willing to stop there again - it's like if you went to SoCal and didn't stop at an In N Out.

Cheers, John
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/06/28 16:10:00 (permalink)
Hey Mr Phil !!!!!!

Congrats on the little "Miss " Phil . Give my regards to Mrs Phil , we have an 18 month old boy Joey , you my friend are in for the time of your life .

I love Rutts too , it will be a hard decision picking the places this year .
Hey Seafarer , I know you have a disdain for Rutts , but what if we had it at the begining of the tour instead of the end .
Would the early stop change your stomach a little ?
John , It is your call on the places , I love them all Hahahhahaha

Benzee
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/06/28 16:58:03 (permalink)
Oh so happy for you Mr. & Mrs. Phil! That is just wonderful news!

We're hoping to make the next tour - things have just been a little crazy with us lately (not bad things...just crazy)- we'll see if we can swing it! Sue
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/06/28 18:56:35 (permalink)
No, save it for the end of the tour, I'll be full and wont have to eat one of their dogs- I'll just settle my stomach with one of their beers.

Cheers, John
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/04 11:12:12 (permalink)
Hello all ,

As we sit back and celebrate the 230th year of our Independence , it is time to get the ball rolling for the Sept tour .

Cost will be $20 per person for Roundtrip transportation from either Orange County New York or the Jersey starting point . ( either Syds or Galloping Hill Inn I think )

The intinerary weill be put togehter by John Fox and out shortly

Roll call
Benzee
Coney Island Lou
Seafarer John and Gail
Brooklyn Bill and Ginny
John Fox and Mrs Top Dawg
Signman
Akavar
Mr Phil
sonjaab
Screenbear
and a few others from other threads that I will have to add

Benzee
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/04 19:06:07 (permalink)
Give me a day or 2 to post again; I will be busy the next 2 days. Tomorrow I will be going out with the Munchmobile again after work. I will propose a few places, but remember, it's your tour! I have been to all of these places. I want to please everyone, so let us know where you want to go. I'll give suggestions, but we can discuss them and perhaps vote on them.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/05 10:21:31 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Add Screenbear to the list ,I know there are more as I go back to old posts so just add your name if you like

John ,
All yours buddy , pick away and we shall come !!!!!

Benzee
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/07 06:25:54 (permalink)
I think it would be a good idea to start at either Syd's or the Galloping Hill Inn in Union. We can hit one or both of these places. Both were very popular in the past. In the general area of Father & Son, which is closed and awaiting a new location, is J's Beef, which serves an authentic Chicago Hot Dog as well as Italian Beef. This, in my opinion, would make a very good stop. Close by, and serving 2 great hot dogs are Jerry's and Tommy's in Elizabeth. Jerry's serves a great all beef dog, while Tommy's serves perhaps the best Italian Hot Dog and sausage sandwich.

This would make a great start, although we can omit any one of those named (with the exception of J's). Other stops might include Rutt's Hutt, Libby's, which is similar in style to the Hot Grill (Texas Weiner), but a place many haven't been to. In fact, most of the North Jersey Texas Weiner joints grew out of Libby's. It is an old fashioned diner that opened in 1937. Across the street is a beautiful view of the Falls. We checked this out while on a Munchmobile outing. You walk over a small bridge with a drop of a hundred or so feet below you. Other possibilities might include Manny's Texas Weiners as some have expressed a desire to return, or maybe a trip to Newark, which is convenient if travelling north on the Parkway. We could check out the fairly new Amazing Hot Dog on Bloomfield Ave. in nearby Verona, which serves a 1/4 lb deep fried Best's dog with a wide array of toppings, and Dickiee Dees in Newark, a classic Italian Hot Dog joint. We can maybe substitute Newark for Elizabeth. A few blocks away from Dickiee Dees is Tony's, a truck serving boiled, or dirty water dogs. Tony is known for great chili and the hottest onions around. I'll have to check and see if he's open Saturday. Your thoughts?
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/07 09:54:15 (permalink)
The itinerary sounds good. Sign me up.
The Bear
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/07 14:42:09 (permalink)
Hello all ,
Great job picking out these spots John .
I weill throw my two cents worth in .
Start at Galloping Hill Inn
Visit the following
Syds is a must , we can also venture over to Tabatchniks too
Jerrys and Tommys in Elizabeth we can hit two in one stop also
J's Beef is a must I think , and the idea of Libbys sounds good too with the falls right there
Also Dickie Dees and Amazing Hot Dog in Verona I've never been to .
I loved Mannys but hey I'm only one vote . Also I'm a Rutts Hutt guy but the reviews were mixed from there too last time . Either love them or hate them . No problem if they are left out .

Just a few thoughts , butr I will leave it up to John .
I do not think there are any wrong answers

Benzee
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/07 16:02:44 (permalink)
I vote to include Libby's - the place sounds great to me.

Cheers, John
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/07 19:43:35 (permalink)
Ok, I suggest that we start at Galloping Hill Inn. Convenient, enough parking, and a great grilled beef/pork dog. Then head down to J's. From there we can either go to Jerry's and Tommy's; or we can skip these places in favor of Dickiee Dees (another Italian Hot Dog place) and Tony's, if they're open. If Tony's isn't, we can hit JJ's, another popular truck known for very spicy chili. Or we can hit both the Elizabeth places and the Newark ones. I think it would be a good idea to hit Amazing Hot Dog in Verona, since that would give us at least 2 new places and maybe 4 if we hit Newark. Again, all of these places are fairly close and accessible from the Parkway. Amazing Hot Dog is actually on the same street as Dickiee Dees and JJ's, but a few miles away. Newark is a few exits away from Libby's, which would be a good substitute for the Hot Grill.

As for Manny's, it's only a few blocks away from Syd's, which is between Linden/Elizabeth and Newark. We can do a lot of places in a little time. It might be a good idea to hit all of them. You can pick and choose what you want to try, or share.

A rough outline: Galloping Hill Inn, south to J's, a few miles to Elizabeth, Jerry's/Tommy's (optional), north to Syd's/Manny's, north to Newark, Dickiee Dees/Tony's, JJ's,(optional) which are mere blocks from each other, west a few miles to Amazing Hot Dog, north to Libby's. And, if anyone still has room, a few miles away to Rutt's Hut
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/07 21:27:36 (permalink)
Sounds even better than previous tours. Really looking forward to J's. Have heard about Libby's and Dickee Dees many times. This is going to be great.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/09 00:06:51 (permalink)
Hey Sonjaab !!

Whats happening guy . I too would like to have Rutts as the last stop , those that do not like it can skip the eating , those that want a dog will keep a little space open .

Mannys is apparently opening in the old Father and Son location so we shall see how that works .

Manny showed us the love and we should show it back to him by visiting his place in my opinion

Benzee
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/14 19:37:42 (permalink)
I spoke with the owner of J's recently. He opens at 12:30 on Saturdays. I thought it would be a good idea to go there second after Galloping Hill Inn, as it is on the way to Elizabeth and the farthest point south before we make our way northward to Manny's, Syd's, Newark, etc. If we meet at GHI at 11:00 or 11:30, we might be too early for J's. He has agreed to open at 11:00 the day of the tour. In return, I agreed to go there before Tommy's and Jerry's in Elizabeth. These 2 are walk up storefronts where we can be quickly served. Again, you don't have to eat at either one or just take a bite, but I think it would be good to visit these 2 since they are only a few minutes from J's.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/14 20:47:56 (permalink)
guess I should should start thinking about a shirt.....
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/15 10:31:53 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Good idea John . I like the idea of going to J 's after we meet at Galloping Hill Inn. The fact that he will open early for us that day , gives us a little , shall we say " star power " .
Kudos to J's for offering the early opening . I like the idea of Tommys and Jerrys after J's , you get different style dogs at back to back locations.

Hey C . I. Lou , get on that buddy . Is there any way to make the shirt a dark blue or darker color than last year . I know some that have the two previous shirts and they look pretty similar .
Just a though buddy .

Benzee
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/15 10:47:54 (permalink)
The shirt needs to be the color of mustard - or grease satins...

Cheers, John
long dog
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/15 21:14:41 (permalink)
I'm up for trying more new places on the tour.
If you don't, it's just the '04 or '05 tour revisited.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/16 03:00:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Benzee

Hello all ,

Back to the tour shall we .
We discussed a lot at our mini meet at Coney Island last Thurs to prepare for our Fall Hot Dog Tour
We have a tentative date for Sat . Sept 16th , 2006 for the 3rd annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour .
We will be reserving the bus this coming week and once I get a price will pass on the per person cost .
The starting point in Jersey will be Syds or Galloping Hill .
Anyone from Upstate NY we are looking at a pickup location in Newburgh that was suggested by Brooklyn Bill . If it does not work than we can always use last years pickup point in Harriman NY.
John Fox will be tweaking the intinerary this year . Any suggestions either email him or post here .
I will be starting a list for signups soon , if you are interested let me know .

Benzee

If it was the following weekend, I would forego my birthday trip to Florida and come there, ONLY if Unclevic comes!
Have to compare a chili dog with him!
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/07/16 07:27:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by long dog

I'm up for trying more new places on the tour.
If you don't, it's just the '04 or '05 tour revisited.

Looks like we will have a few new ones. Amazing Hot Dog in Verona. A big beefy dog with perhaps the widest variety of toppings I've seen at a hot dog joint. And maybe my favorite chili. J's Beef in Linden, serving an authentic Chicago Hot Dog and Italian Beef. Dickiee Dees, one of the original Newark Italian Hot Dog places. Tony's Truck, serving a quality dirty water dog. I don't eat them, but they have a reputation for the best and hottest onions. Hope you can make the tour.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 43
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1