Hot!11th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 13th , 2014 - past trip reports

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 43
Author
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1876
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/03/30 17:29:47 (permalink)
Hello all ,

I found a Hot Dog truck that sells Sabretts and also Sausage , Kielbasa and burgers half way from Middletown to Newburgh . We will add this place to the list .
So we will start out at Coney Island Resturant in Middletown at high noon .
We will then travel a short distance ot Richs Hot Dog House and continue on Rt. 17m north to Rt. 17k where we will head to Newburgh . About half way , a 15 minute drive or so is the Hot Dog Truck . They know we are coming and will be open . From there we will go straight into Newburgh and make a right onto Rt. 9w to Petes Hot Dogs about three blocks down . Est. time of arrival for Petes 130- 200pm . From there its back onto Rt. 9w north to Worlds Best with arrival about 230-300pm . From here we can decide to add any of the Kingston spots or head back to Middletown via Rt. 84 west for the end of our day . All establishments will be notified of our est. arrival times and I will post if a detour has to be made along the way .
Feel free to email me if you want to meet us at one of the locations or join the entire tour . We will be in very capable hands with John Fox , Screenbear , Coney Island Lou and myself . Carpooling will be the mode of transportation of the day . Anyone wishing to get a head start at CI rest . we will probably meet around 11am and discuss plans for our 4th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour in Sept.

Benzee
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/03/31 11:37:04 (permalink)
Benzee -

Mark me as tentative for this. I have not spoken up before because it looked like I would be out of town, but that seems to be settled. However, there are those other five balls that I am still juggling.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/03/31 12:50:55 (permalink)
This may be of interest to any of you hot dog afficianardos that may be visiting the Boston area in early June. www.hotdogsafari.com
Chow Jim
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/09 15:58:04 (permalink)
Hello all ,

The Hudson Valley Hot Dog Tour is less than a week to go .
Email me if anyone needs info .
For directions to Coney Island Rest. in Middletown email CI Lou.
Also my radio show on Fridays has been expanded to 1 1/2 hours .
We are now on from 1230 - 2 pm
1110 am WTBQ
www.wtbq.com
We will be talking about the trip on the show
Feel free to call in everyone
845 651 1110

Benzee
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/09 16:19:05 (permalink)
Benzee -

I need to make a trip upstate to Utica this weekend. I will not be able to make this tour.
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1596
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/11 21:39:44 (permalink)
Roll Call for Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Tour scheduled for Sat. April 14th with a High Noon start at Coney Island Restaurant in downtown Middletown , Orange County , New York .

Benzee
Coney Island Lou
John Fox
Screen Bear ?
Seafarer John ( Partial Tour )
Brooklyn Bill ( Partial Tour )
Any more ...>>

Hopefully it's not too late to sign up. I've passed on the NJ tours since I've already been to most all of the stops and Saturdays are usually not good for me anyway. But I've got a free Saturday this time around, and every place on the list will be new to me. It's worth the trip from NJ, I will see you Saturday. I guess I'll be able to figure out who the group is when I get there, I've seen the pictures... --Ken
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/12 17:02:10 (permalink)
Hello Ken ,

Its never too late to sign up . Just show up . Happy to have you aboard !!
We should have a good day for traveling around Orange County , or rather the Hudson Valley .

Anyone else interested feel free to join us .

Benzee

Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/14 08:55:56 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Today is the day for our Hot Dog Tour of the Hudson Valley .
Highlights will include Coney Island Rest. in Middletown , our starting point and Worlds Best in Newburgh along with Petes in Newburgh .

Noon at CI Rest on Rairoad Ave. in Middletown
Hope to see everyone there

Benzee

Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/15 00:26:32 (permalink)
Hello all ,

The 1st Hudson Valley Hot Dog Tour was a success today .
The participants included
Benzee
Coney Island Lou
John Fox
ScreenBear
Brooklyn Bill and Ginny
Daughter and grandkids
Ken 5058
Seafaer John and Gail

We visited the following and in order

Coney Island Resturant on Railroad Ave. in Middletown
Richs Hot Dog House on Rt. 17m in Middletown
K and M Eatery Hot Dog Truck between Montgomery and Newburgh on Rt. 17k
Tonys Texas Lunch on Broadway in Newburgh
Petes Hot Dogs on Rt. 9w in Newburgh
Worlds Best Hot Dogs and Mamburgers in Newburgh
Texas Luch in ther Hamlet of Wallkill on Rt. 208

A fabuolus time was had by all and plenty of pictures were taken
I will give my thoughts on all the dogs tasted and a trip report tommorrow .
And hopefully post a few group photos .

Benzee
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2334
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/15 10:15:59 (permalink)
Benzee,

Thanks for the work you did in organizing this tour. And to all who participated, thanks for coming. I had a great time talking and eating hot dogs with you. Screenbear, a special thanks for driving again. This was our second trip to the Hudson Valley to sample hot dogs. We had been to Coney Island Restaurant, Pete's, and World's Best previously. The other 4 we visited for the first time yesterday on the tour. I'll attempt to give a short review with some of my opinions.

We met at the Coney Island Restaurant. Their specialty is what they call a Coney Chili Dog. Similar dogs are called Texas Weiners in Jersey, parts of Pennsylvania, and even Newburgh. It's called a Hot Texas Weiner on the menu at Tony's Newburgh Lunch. But regardless of the name, the dog comes with mustard, homemade chili, and onions. All seven places on the tour served a good product, but if I was pressed to pick a favorite, it would be the dog at Coney Island Restaurant. The frank itself is a grilled 10 to a lb skinless Tobin's First Prize beef and pork frank. The exact same dog was served at Tony's Newburgh Lunch and the Texas Lunch in Walkill. It's also served at numerous other hot dog joints in the area that specialize in Texas Weiners/Coney Dogs. As Screenbear pointed out, Tobins is to New York Texas Weiners what Grote & Weigel is to Jersey Texas Weiners. This dog is rather mild in flavor, but goes well with a tasty chili sauce. It's the chili at Coney Island that makes this my favorite Texas Weiner out of all that I've tasted including Jersey and Connecticut. Fairly thick and meaty, with good balance and a nice spicing. You can taste the nutmeg/clove/cinammon flavor, but it's not overpowering.

Rich's Hot Dog House was our second stop. The dog here was a boiled natural casing 11 to a lb Sabrett. I was mildly surprised to find out that Sabrett is fairly common in this area. It's very common in North Jersey, and is a top quality dog. It was tasty, fresh, and hot enough. I had mine with just mustard, as that is usually how I prefer a well seasoned all beef dog. Brooklyn Bill's grandchildren really liked this dog.

Next was the K&M Eatery Hot Dog Truck. Since we had 7 stops, I was prepared to skip one to save room in my stomach. Since I was expecting to find a boiled Sabrett served here (which most trucks seem to do) I was going to skip this one. There was no Sabrett umbrella or sign, so I asked the girl what brand was used. She replied that they used Temple Hill, which is impossible since they closed more than a year ago. She then told us that they purchased the remaining dogs from the company before they closed. If so, they would have been inedible. Apparently this girl or someone connected with this truck is from or familiar with New Jersey, since the words "ripper" and cremator" were posted on the truck. This is Rutts Hut speak for 2 of the dogs available there. The dogs at K&M come steamed, or deep fried if you request it. They also serve bratwurst, Zweigle White Hots, and other sausages. They come griddled. A few of the guys had the White Hot, which is a veal and pork sausage very similar to a bratwurst. I had the regualr all beef hot dog (steamed) which I am 95 % sure is a Thumann's natural casing all beef dog. It comes 10 to a lb and is called a pushcart style dog. In flavor it is somewhat similar to Sabrett (Rich's) and Boars Head (Pete's) although a tad less spicy than these 2. It was prepared well and served hot enough. This dog was juicy and very fresh, no way it could have been a dog that was frozen for over a year.

We continued on to Tony's Newburgh Lunch. This is an old time place with the grill facing the street and visible as you look in the front window. Since the dogs were Tobins, this was the place that I chose to skip since 2 of the other places we visited served the same dog but of course with their own chili. Tony's is a Texas Weiner joint, so I did ask for a sample of their chili. It was spiced well, but extremely thin and watery. I did not like it. I think most everyone else did.

Next stop, Pete's. They have 2 different chilis which I sampled last time. Both were good, but too spicy for me. Admittedly, I have a low tolerance for spicy (hot). Since Temple Hill hot dogs are no longer being made, Pete's switched to Boars Head all beef franks. According to several people I spoke with who had both brands at Pete's, Boars Head is better than Temple Hill, which was made right in Newburgh. The Boars Head dog is as good an all beef dog as there is. It has a nice tough casing and a very good flavor. It comes boiled here. I had mine with just mustard. Quite possibly the best tasting dog sampled today. And a great value as well. This dog comes 7 to a lb and goes for over $5.00 in Jersey for a package. Pete's charges $1.50 for a plain dog w/mustard. Contrast this to the many places selling a much smaller dirty water dog (some as small as 11 or 12 to a lb) for $1.70 or more.

Our next destination was World's Best Hotdogs & Hamburgers. Open less than a year, but one of the finest places to get a hot dog (or hamburger). The fries are among the best, if not the best I've ever had. The dogs here come in 2 sizes. One is called a snap dog, which is all beef, natural casing, and approximately 8 to a lb. It comes steamed. Very similar to the dog served at Rich's, but a little bigger. The other dog is a footlong skinless frank that is about a quarter pound and prepared on a charcoal grill. I prefer this one. They also serve a marinated footlong. This one is marinated for a long time in honey. It is different and some love it, but I prefer the plain grilled footlong.

When this place opened, some of us had some fun trying to figure out the brand of dog served here. The owners refused to disclose it, which is understandable. This was discussed in a previous thread about World's Best. I said that I wouldn't post it on Roadfood, but if you want to know and agree not to post it here, send me an e-mail. I am 100 % certain I know the brand. And I was willing to bet the owners, who wisely refused. But let me say that it is a top notch dog and better than what the owners would lead you to believe it is. And these guys do a perfect job preparing the dogs. The hamburgers look great, although I have yet to try one. But some of the guys who post on Roadfood say that are delicious. Although I live 2 hours away, World's Best and the Coney Island Restaurant are definitely 2 places that I would make the trip for on a regular basis.

Our last stop was the Texas Lunch in Walkill. I learned yesterday that they've only been at their current location for 8 days, having previously been in Newburgh. Texas Lunch is another Greek owned Texas Weiner/Coney establishment serving dogs with their homemade chili sauce. The dog used is Tobins 10 to a lb. The chili here is typical Greek style Texas Weiner sauce. Although there is a similarity in all of these places, each one has their own take on the style and their own recipe. I found this one to be okay, but a little too thin for my taste, though it was thicker than Tony's. The owner told me that he's had people from all over buy his chili. One guy drives up from Jersey to get it. He has shipped it to California and Germany.

When it comes to chili or Texas Weiner sauce, everyone has their own opinion of what they like and dislike. That's what makes it fun to go from place to place to sample something that you can't get anywhere else.

Thanks again to everyone for a most enjoyable day. Looking forward to seeing everyone again in September. In fact, I don't think I can wait that long. I'd love to return to the Hudson Valley soon to eat some exceptional hot dogs.
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/15 11:55:37 (permalink)
i'm jealous. i was stuck in nj trying to figure out where we are going to get kitchen cabinets from...

i/m trying to convince my Mom and brother to come out in Sept. I am going to try and make that tour but w/ my work, it is hard to say so far in advance. i'll be looking forward to seeing the picks from the NY tour.
ken8038
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/15 19:03:01 (permalink)
I'm not nearly as verbose as John, but here's my own write up of the tour. It was great to meet all the guys who have been posting, and thanks to Benzee for organizing the tour. It went off without a hitch, very well planned out.

Coney Island: I agree with John, this was the best dog of the day, similar to Manny's Texas Weiners in NJ, but even better. It was also the only stop where the 6 to 10 of us really had enough room to sit at a table and be waited on, so it was a great place to get aquainted and reacquainted. Nice personable waitress too.

Rich's. I gave this my lowest marks of the day. Small dog, and the chili (or I guess it was really coney sauce) was way too salty for my taste.

K & M Truck: This gets my 2nd lowest mark. I had the Zweigle's White Dog, and for one thing it wasn't hot enough, and kind of bland besides.

Tony's Newburgh Lunch: I think I'm in the minority, but this was my 2nd favorite of the day. Just the right combo of Chili, Onions and Dog. Only shortcoming was that the roll did not hold up too well and began to disintegrate, this is a pet peeve of mine. But I'd go back often if I lived in the area.

Pete's: My 3rd favorite, I'm not as big on all beef dogs as I am on beef/pork combos, but I had this one with Hot Onions, which were great, and distinctive.

World's Best: Great people running the place, but I'm sorry, not World's Best, in fact only 4th best in Newburgh. The Chili had a weird taste to me. But those fries!

I left the tour at this point. Mr and Mrs Seafarer John led me on a circuitous but scenic route up to New Paltz and joined me for a beer at the Gilded Otter Brewpub. It was a good change of pace to be at a nice airy place instead of all those cramped hot dog joints.

Then I went solo over to the Hyde Park Brewing company. Very sparse crowd for a Saturday evening. Very good British Bitter though.

Time to head home. But wait, I forgot to, um, clear my bladder for the 2 hour ride home. So, about a half hour down route 9W I stopped at a Seafarer John recomendation, the Raccoon Saloon in the lovely Hamlet of Marlboro. What a great view of the Hudson from the bar and small dining area. Also, a very friendly barmaid, and without a doubt the best home made potato chips I've ever had. I resisted the temptation to stay longer (I was already one beer over my driving limit, but I figured with 6 chili dogs in my system, I was good to go). And go I did. What a great day! Thanks to all! --Ken (8038, or 3038, or 5038, whatever).

PS: Benzee: I picked up one of those freebie Hudson Valley guidebooks, and here's a place you might want to check out in preparation for the next tour: www.souldog.biz in Poughkeepsie.

ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 750
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/15 20:52:28 (permalink)
Now that I have got most of the nitrates out of my system, heres my report with pics!

I got down to Coney Island early, figuring I would be there to greet everyone - lo and behold, ScreenBear and John Fox had beaten me there! I know John loves the CI sauce, but this is ridiculous!

After chatting a bit, Ken8038 showed up - its easy to spot someone youve never met - you see someone walking up, checking their watch, looking around, it sure to be someone looking for a Dog tour! Kudos to Melissa from Coney Island - she actually moved a single diner from their back section so she could put together the tables for our little group! Finally Benzee shows up ,and after waiting for Brooklyn Bill for a bit, we order our dogs. Just about as we are finishing, here comes Brooklyn Bill...with his daughter and two grandchildren (names Bill?). It turns out Bill supposed to drop them off at the Poughkeepsie train station to send them back to Buffalo...an decided to bring them along! Turns out the kids are real troopers, and have already been indoctrinated in the ways of Ted's of Tonawanda...here's the happy group after indulging ina hot dog classic:

notice not a crumb left on any of the plates!

After scmoozing a while, we ran up North St in Middletown to Rich's Hot Dog House, which is a storefront. It is situated next to Maddy's Diner a local institution which I kept saying I would do a review of someday. It suffered a disastrous fire last summer, and is only now just about ready to reopen..Anyways, Rich's is owned by the brother of Maddy's Owner, Marc Drury, and Marc happened be in there, as he has been using Rich's to serve breakfast. I had a bacon/cheese dog - not bad..standard Sabrett's, with a decent shredded bacon/cheez topping. After talking with Marc for a while (he wants to do the next NJ Tour....) we had off on the rest of the tour - Brooklyn Bill and family headed off to the train! Heres the whole group outside Rich's:

L to R: ScreenBear, Ken8038, John Fox, Benzee, Brooklyn Bill, BB's daughter Lynn, Celia & Brayton (in front), me, BB's wife Ginny

Winding our way through Orange Countym we stopped at the M&K Truck, which is situated in the Town Of Montgomery, a few miles from the road leading to Stewart Airport. Much to my surprise, they advertise, in big letters, WHITE HOTS..so naturally I go up to the window, and ask what brand, and the girl holds a package of ZWEIGLES!! What a find! As my sister has lived in Rochester for almost 30 years now,Zweigles is manna from heaven! It could have been cooked a bit more, but otherwise it soothed a soul that has been white hot-less for many a moon! Heres the truck:

and here is an almost finished white hot:

Our next stop was Tony's in Newburgh, and me and John F decided to sit this one out, me because I was still rapturing over the Zweigles. One thing in Tony's fabvor is that is an old fashioned, grill in the window place, right out of 1925...

Next stop was Pete's, which has been discussed before - a noisy little place with fairy sullen Mickey D's-type help..just dogd...kinda shabby...the dog was ok...a Sabrett with a more spicy tye coney/texas sauce:

Next was World's Best, which has been discussed many many times in this thread:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17284 - Ihad even been there a week or so before!

But here are some pics to tease you:

here is the Holy Grill - notice they went to the trouble of a two-tiered grill: lower for searing, and a higher grill for cooking -shows how serious Wolf & company are about their stuff :

that BIG flat thing is one of their burgers!

this is a foot long w/mustard and some of their incredible fries:

Here is Seafarer John, who, along with the lovely Gail,met us at the two Newburgh locales..here is John, eating one of those delish dogs:

and here is Benzee enjoying the 'discussion' between John Fox and the owner Wolf:

After WB. we stopped in the hamlet of Wallkill at Texas Lunch:

as i was STUFFED, I sat, took a bite or two out of one of their dogs, and listened as the owner talked about how all the Greeks set up places like this...

all in all, a GREAT experience..and it was fun to find out the area has more than a couple of good dog places!

BrooklynBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/16 11:27:32 (permalink)
It was another fun and successful day. Thank you Benzee, Coney Island Lou and John Fox. My grandchildren, Celia and Brayton, are hot dog lovers so it was a thrill for them to be part of a real Hot Dog Tour. They had a 3 PM train to catch in Poughkeepsie hence we were able to cover only part of the tour.
It took us almost 15min. longer to reach CI in Middletown than we figured but that great crew, including ScreenBear and ken8038, was patiently waiting for us and graciously refused to leave until we were served and finished eating.

I would have to give my first prize to that Coney Island Restaurant. Their First Prize dogs were good but their chili topping was, as ever, better than good. They heated the roll nicely and their fries were great.

The second stop Rich’s gets my second place award. Their Sabrett dogs were small but tasty.

I am sorry that we missed the K&M Hot Dog Truck in Montgomery. The thought of a good white-hot is haunting me as I write this. I am going to have to get there during the next week.

We worked our way to World’s Best for a final stop. That dog was only okay and gets my #3 spot. We shared a foot long with spicy brown mustard. It did not taste as good as Rich’s and I felt that a partial boil before grilling could have improved it. Also the roll was cold and could have stood some heating.
Their seasoned fries were fabulous!

Thank you for the pictures, Lou. They captured the day. I am sending them to our daughter Lynn and grandchildren in Buffalo.
Again, thank you all for another great day.

Bill and wife Ginny.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/16 13:44:47 (permalink)
Can't argue with those who chose Middletown's Coney Island as the best dog of the day- we didn't join the tour 'till "Pete's" in Newburgh and our only other stop was at the really fine "World's Best". I liked Pete's sauce, but WBs is even better, in my opinion. Contrary to many of you, I like the thinner hotter redder less- nutmeggy sauce served up in places like Pete's and WB and Texas Lunch (and in Kingston and Poughkeepsie). It all depends on what we grew up with, I guess.

WB's hamburger is probably the best thing they serve - Gail has been bragging to everyone about the cheeseburger she had there - and their fries-WOW!

Thanks to Benzy and Lou for organizinfg the trip- and thanks to lou for posting the photos - I love the idea of my mug on the WORLD WIDE WEB- Wow!

And I have to mention the IPA we enjoyed at the Gilded Otter here in New Paltz with our new friend, Ken (some numbers?) from North Jersey - it really settled the dogs and was very tasty - not to mention the good company. I've never been to the hyde Park brew pub -maybe I'll give it a try after trying the Soul Dog on Main St in Poughkeepsie someday soon.

Cheers, John

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/16 13:51:54 (permalink)
It appears that you guys had a super time. That is the advantage of Roadfood.com of bringing friends together for so much fellowship and fun and good food.

You guys are great.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/16 14:17:23 (permalink)
Looks and sounds like a great time! One request: would you identify everyone in the two group shots (at table and outside)??
Chiliman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 197
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/16 15:12:11 (permalink)
Sounds like a great trip. I burn up dogs here in Charlotte, NC, but Rich (from Rich's in Middletown) is my cousin (total coincidence that we are both in the dog biz). I was curious how his would stack up (Some say good, some say "ehhh"). I was born and bred in Middletown and can still remember going to C.I. and grubbin up when I was a young'in. Good times. Thanks for giving me a little taste of old home while here in th south. I have been lurking away waiting for the results. Now you all can do a taste of the south and just stop by the cart (that's the only stop you'll need!
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/16 15:52:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

Looks and sounds like a great time! One request: would you identify everyone in the two group shots (at table and outside)??

done
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/16 15:57:10 (permalink)
Thanks CILou!!! Now I know everyone by sight.
ken8038
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/16 18:32:37 (permalink)
The last vote is in. As you on the tour know, I got one dog to go from each place (except the M&K truck, the gal there seemed overwhelmed without my also asking for one to go) to bring home to my son. He just polished off the 5 dog take home pack (oh to be 19 again and be able to do that in the span of 15 minutes instead of over 4 hours). His #1 was Coney Island, it's unanimous!

Thanks again guys. ---Ken
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/20 17:10:30 (permalink)
Hello all ,

The tour was a great time and I'm glad everyone enjoyed it .
Some notes from the HV Hot Dog Tour Diary - circa 4/14/07
First of all it was a pleasure getting together with each and every one of you .

CI Lou thanks for being my right hand man . Great with the directions around the back roads of Orange and Ulster County , and a pleasure being your chauffer for the day .

John Fox , one of a kind hot dog afficionado . Thanks for being there buddy , you were great . To be able to look 20 feet at a grill and tell the owner the name of the brand they were using . Thumanns I believe . Just truly amazing !! That occured at Texas Lunch our final stop .

Screenbear , you were great on the tour and have some of the same expertise that John has when it comes to the style and history of the dogs .

Seafarer John and Gail , It is always a pleasure to go roadfooding with you two . Better company is hard to find .

Brooklyn Bill and Ginny and daughter and grandkids , A great time seeing you again and to meet your family , a joy .

Ken 5058 , Thanks for joining us , it is not always about wheter you have been to a place before , but the camraderie that roadfood an tours and mini meets bring . A pleasure .

As far as the establishments go .
I agree with most that Coney Island had the best Coney Dogs . Worlds Best a close second , but get even as their fries are the best I've ever tasted and their specialty dogs are a must .

As far as Petes , those on the tour now know what I'm talking about concerning my previous posts on the establishment in my reviews . Experienced some of the indifferent 20 somethings that day behind the counter.

K and M truck is truly a find with those upstate dogs , truly a find .

Richs Dog House and its partner Maddys Diner next door is also worth a trip and their exuberence was unmatched .

Steve from Texas Lunch was a pleasure to talk to and we wish him luck at his new location .

Worlds Best almost had a bet on their hands from our own John Fox who was ready to spill the beans on their brand name . Wolf and gang declined the bet . Great place to stop , tension was in the air .. and by the way John I'm sure was right on the money . As always ..

Now we prepare for our 4th Annual Hot Dog Tour in Sept . We discussed a little at the beginning of this trip . We will have to leave out some stops like Tommys and Jerrys in Elizabeth if we stay with a 56 pass. motorcoach . Schoolbus with AC gives us more options as far as navigating some of the side streets in Jersey. Last tour we had some logistics problems with height of bus and low hanging overpasses.

We will probably get together for a mini meet again soon , and hopefully everyone will join us in sept for the Jersey Dog Tour .

And listen to
Prime Time with Uncle Buck , Dr. Tom and Benzee
Fridays from 1230- 2 pm
Live on www.wtbq.com

Benzee
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/04/26 19:42:42 (permalink)
Hello all ,

There is talk of a Albany area Hot Dog Tour sometime soon with Hot Dog King setting a intinerary . Right now the thread is on the Hot Dog forum but I think it will find its way over here soon .

We will probably get together at CI Rerst. in Middletown to discuss this new trip soon

Benzee
mrphil
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/01 08:06:40 (permalink)

Now that both Syd's and J's Beef are closed, I'm wondering what stops might be on the Fall tour.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/01 16:10:40 (permalink)
Hello Mr Phil ,

How is the family dude !!!!
Hope all is well .
John has some fantastic ideas for the 4th Annual Fall Jersey Dog Tour this year .

Any suggestions post them here folks .

Syds is officially closed at their new location , as reported by John Fox in the Hot Dog forum , so thats another one down .

Benzee
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/07 10:24:48 (permalink)
Hello all ,

I edited the topic to the Jersey Hot Dog Tour in Sept .
John Fox will be putting together the intinerary .
There is interest for a Albany Area Hot Dog Tour that has a thread in the Hot Dogs section , check it out or wait until the moderators move it on over to here . Hot Dog King is setting that one up and I will help with transportation needs for those who need it .

Benzee
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/11 09:01:59 (permalink)
Hello all ,

John Fox has mentioned adding Jimmy Buffs East Hanover to the Jersey Hot Dog Tour in Sept .

I think this would be a great addition as all reports are positive out of this long time Jersey Hot Dog establishment

Benzee
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/13 14:34:34 (permalink)
I think this years tour would be a GREAT opportunity to almost totally revamp the lineup. We have visited several of the places on every tour, and it might be nice to visit a whole slew of different ones. There were a couple of places we missed last year, plus some of the 'newer' suggestions like Jimmy Buff's.

Personally I think the motorcoach is a better idea than the school bus with a/c - having the PA makes John Fox's job easier, and having the loo aboard made a BIG difference for a lot of people -this way we arent clogging up (literally!) the few stops that do have a rest room.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/13 15:52:43 (permalink)
FWIW - Jimmy Buff's might be a good place to leave the cars. The shopping plaza should have plenty of room. Also, the restaurant has a lot of space.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/13 20:35:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Akavar

FWIW - Jimmy Buff's might be a good place to leave the cars. The shopping plaza should have plenty of room. Also, the restaurant has a lot of space.

Yeah, Galloping Hill's lot has gotten too small for us! It gets awful crowded on Saturdays with that catering place....
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 43
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1