Hot!11/22/1963 - Where were you?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:11/22/1963 - Where were you? 2013/11/24 13:47:44 (permalink)
JRPfeff

Paul - NOVA on PBS had a special last week going over the ballistic and forensic evidence from the assassination. I am completely convinced that all the shots came from one rifle after watching the program. You can watch Cold Case JFK online.

That PBS special was excellent.  So was the one on History that debunked all the "conspiracy theories"; just because Castro, Organized Crime, Cuban Exiles, et al. may have had motive "proves" absolutely nothing.

On our first visit to Dallas in 2005 we went to visit the Sixth Floor Museum.  Driving down Elm for the first time I remember how surprised I was at the steepness of its decline as it goes the short distance through Dealey Plaza from Houston down to the triple overpass.  And, the "whole scene" is much smaller in reality than it appears to be on film.

Looking down from Oswald's nest, believe me, anyone who has hunted would recognize the shots as being ridiculously easy - especially with a 4x scope on a sighted-in carbine, even a POS with bolt action.  Oswald missed with his first shot; researchers believe it deflected off the traffic light at Elm & Houston; the bullet hit a curb down by the triple overpass and a man standing there was nicked by either bullet or concrete shrapnel.  Six seconds later Oswald's second shot hit the President in the back, the final shot was 5.8 seconds later; "time" was not an issue.

Remember the big deal Oliver Stone made in his JFK movie about the fact that (whomever) didn't take the "easy shots" as Kennedy came toward him on Houston?  Total B.S.!  For Houston St. shots the aiming vector would change markedly and continuously with each shot.  Instead, Oswald waited until the limo almost stopped while negotiating the 120o turn onto Elm and had the first shot deflected.  The other two were easy as the target was moving straight away and downhill.  The aim vector for shot three hardly changed at all from shot two's.  With one's eye against a 4x scope (as opposed to having a camera lens peering into it as it is shown in film) it was an easier shot than, say, trying to hit your big toe with a pistol.

Conclusion:  Oswald did it and did it alone.  He had the method and the opportunity; his twisted motive died with him.
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1381
Re:11/22/1963 - Where were you? 2013/11/24 16:20:49 (permalink)
For a very interesting fictional read on this subject, I highly recommend the Stephen King novel, 11/22/63, which explores the idea of time travel and what might have happened if President Kennedy had not been assassinated.  At 800+ pages, it's a big commitment, but I did not want to stop reading it!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15245
Re:11/22/1963 - Where were you? 2013/11/24 16:40:52 (permalink)
L-2-B
Edited photos were inserted into your  post on page 1.
AL
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1381
Re:11/22/1963 - Where were you? 2013/11/24 16:46:55 (permalink)
Awesome!  Thanks, Mayor!!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:11/22/1963 - Where were you? 2013/11/24 17:53:43 (permalink)
Another 'documentary' produced and aired by PBS was, IMO, absolutely vile. 

It opened with George Clooney prattling on about Dallas being full of "hateful, radical right-wingers" and that there were "wide-spread fears of violence happening there".  There were even several totally gratuitous reference to Dallas as "Hate Central" throughout the program whose over-riding theme was a lamentation of the bygone days when two news-services, two newspapers, and three television networks were the exclusive gate-keepers of "what was news".

Two problems:

1)  The city of Dallas (a.k.a. "Hate Central") in fact received the President and First Lady with warmth and enthusiasm.  BTW: at that time the Governor, Senior Senator, the majority of the Congressional Delegation, and Mayor of Dallas were all Democrats.

2)  The killer was a self-confessed Marxist who had previously defected to the Soviet Union and was in the process of seeking a visa to live in the People's Paradise of Cuba.   

Neither of these simple facts were mentioned.  Instead, the entire focus was on the "right-wing hater" strawman to the complete exclusion of the fact that Kennedy was actually killed by a Marxist.

With Kennedy's gruesome, sudden, and truly tragic death it is now almost forgotten that his re-election in 1964 was anything but certain.  In fact, that is why he had made this campaign-style trip to Texas in the first place. 

Even though this nation was relieved that the Cuban Missle Crisis was resolved short of thermonuclear warfare, many - the polls of that time said a majority - felt that there ought not to have been such a "Crisis" in the first place.  

Had he lived I truly believe that the world would be a better place.  But, who can know.  
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1040
Re:11/22/1963 - Where were you? 2013/11/25 11:59:27 (permalink)
I had been in class in public grade school (I had just turned 10 years old, so it must have been fifth grade, which would have been Mr. Albertson's class). It was a K-6 school. No announcement was made.  I first heard about it when I got on the school bus to go home and some kids were saying "Kennedy's been shot."  No one knew whether he was alive.  This would have been about 3 p.m.  It wasn't until I got home that my mother confirmed it.
I know we were one of the families who had our TV set  (we only had one at the time, in our recreation room) on almost constantly, but the only things I vividly recall watching were Lee Harvey Oswald being shot on live TV, the caisson going to the Capitol, and Mrs. Kennedy lighting the eternal flame at Arlington Cemetery.
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1846
Re:11/22/1963 - Where were you? 2013/11/25 12:48:04 (permalink)
I was just a gleam in my Dad's eye. 
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re:11/22/1963 - Where were you? 2013/11/25 15:48:26 (permalink)
I was on a school bus filled with my fellow high school band members on our way into New York City to see a graduate perform his recital (like a final exam) at The Manhattan School of Music. Our bus driver was informed of the shooting by the ticket guy at the booth when we entered the N.J. Turnpike and told of his death by the toll taker at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel. I remember looking out the window at the faces of the people and wondering which of them had heard the terrible news and which ones hadn't. Richard's recital was amazing, but it was a long ride home. Ironically, our band director was John F. Krauss...J.F. K..
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1