Hot!11th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 13th , 2014 - past trip reports

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 12 of 43
Author
brookquarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 280
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/06/22 07:00:41 (permalink)
Akavar, I'm still in, but may not go to past P-burg. Let me know if its still on
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/06/22 07:14:40 (permalink)
Brookquarry -

It is still on. We will meet at the Stewart's and go from there. See you at 11:00 AM.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/06/22 07:15:51 (permalink)
Roll Call

Is anybody else planning to join us tomorrow?
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1876
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/06/23 10:39:37 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Hope all goes well today with the meet .
I will change the heading back to the Sept 15th Jersey Hot Dog Tour and we will get the ball rolling with that .
So far , I have a few gallstones and have some more tests next week to rule out some other possibilities.

Benzee
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2334
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/06/23 13:47:39 (permalink)
Benzee,

Hope everything goes well for you. Keep us posted.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/06/24 08:41:24 (permalink)
Well fellow roadfoodies, here is the report on the tour yesterday.

Brookquarry and I met at Stewart's as planned. We had a dog there and decided to make our own agenda. We visited Jimmy's in the 25th Street Plaza in Easton, PA for a standard western NJ style dog.

We then went to Charlie's pool room and had a couple of mealies and swapped stories for awhile with with the other patrons. Because it was just the two of us I did not bother to take any pictures.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/06/24 12:41:46 (permalink)
Akavar ,

I would love to get your thoughts on how the mealies at Charlies compare to other dogs you have had .

Wish we could've joined you yesterday .

I hope you and Brookquarry had a good time , and now its time to get ready for the 4th annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour in Sept.

I would still like to meet you one day over the summer and try some of these places . Depends on health for now .

Benzee
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/06/24 17:39:40 (permalink)
Benzee -

Hope you get better soon. Any time you want to get out here to west central Jersey for a few dogs just let me know. I will be glad to host. Make sure you get yourself well first.

Instead of my impressions of the dogs we ate yesterday, I am reposting my thoughts on my first visit to Charlie's. This was originally posted earlier this year in the NJ Hot Dog Forum.

Repost:

My First Visit to Charlie's Pool Room

I finally made my first trip to Charlie's Pool Room in Alpha, NJ today. What a place! Is this the quintessential roadfood palce or not?

Here are some of the Stern's guidelines for a good roadfood place that you will find at Charlie's:

1) Owners on site.
2) Serves a unique dish.
3) Concentrates on what they do best.
4) Limited and/or unique menu. (I could not find a menu - they only make hot dogs three different ways.)
5) Makes their special dish in a unique manner. (When was the last time you had a hot dog called a "mealie"?)

I think the only thing they were missing was the placement of a hot dog on the roof of the building.

Charlie's is a unique place. You walk in and wonder what is this dark and obviously old place. You look into what appears to be a dining room and and there is an old pool table covered with a cloth. Then you notice a few long benches along the walls, but the only place to eat is at a single large round table with about eight chairs around it.

You don't see any place to order or anything that resembles a kitchen. A voice calls out from the back "I'll be with you in a moment" because they have heard you squeaking the floorboards as you investigated this funny little place.

Shortly, John Fencz walks out from the bowels of the building to take your order. John is a friendly man, so he asks you your name, shakes your hand, and seems to want to get to know you personally. This a Saturday morning just before noon and there is no one else in the place.

After you order two hot dogs, John asks you how you want them. Since all you seem to remember is that they make a great relish (properly referred to as a sauce) you ask John what your choices are.

He explains that you can have your dog with their home made sauce, sauce and onions, or sauce, onions, and hot peppers. John explains that this last version is known as a "mealie". You order one with sauce and onions and the other as a mealie. You ask for pickle with both. The total cost is $3.65.

Joe Fencz, John's brother also comes out of the back of the building to get your order from John. Joe then heads back to wherever the kitchen is located to prepare your hot dogs.

As you wait for your hot dogs you talk Chicago style hot dogs with John. John seems to know hot dogs and is very enthusiastic about them. He begins to mention that some of their customers have come because they saw his place on hollyeats.com. You mention that you saw them there but that you also read about them in the NJ Hot Dog forum on roadfood.com.

John says that they do not have a computer, but that he knows John Fox and has heard of the NJ Hot Dog forum. You say that you have met John on the most recent NJ Hot Dog Tour.

Gradually you and John move into the dining area and settle at the round table to talk about hot dogs, roadfood, and eating while traveling. Joe finishes preparing your hot dogs and gives them to John, who serves them to you.

As you eat these amazing hot dogs, Joe comes out and listens to your continuing conversation with John. As you munch your dogs you notice that the "mealie" is the better dog. The unique sauce is great, but the addition of a few thin slivers of cherry peppers adds the slightest bit of heat that makes this a world class hot dog.

You also notice that you are taking your time and savoring your conversation with John and that Joe has joined the two of you. Joe listens intently as you speak. You gradually include Joe in the conversation. You also notice that your dogs are still warm.

Joe makes the dogs by slowly pan frying them in a little bit of oil until they are cooked through and have a slight chew. They are then placed in a steamed bun and covered in the warm sauce. This makes for a tasty dog that stays warm a lot longer than most.

When a few more customers come in, John gets up to take their order. John asks Joe to look for the guest book because he wants you to sign it. As Joe looks for the guest book he explains that John is the chef and makes the sauce. Joe says he is the cook and makes the dogs. It seems like a wonderful partnership to me.

You start to sign the guest book as you leave and John shakes your hand twice more. He is a very friendly man and you vow to yourself to return and have two more hot dogs as soon as you can. In the meantime Joe has headed off to the kitchen to make the hot dogs for the customers that just walked in.

As you drive south along the Delaware River on your way home you savor the entire experience. For about ten minutes you can continue to taste the tingle of the sauce and peppers on your tongue. And you congratulate yourself on having another great roadfood experience.

I urge every reader of this forum to go to Charlie's Pool Room to enjoy this wonderful hot dog experience. I hope you have as much fun as I did.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/06/30 11:41:48 (permalink)
Hello all ,

We are planning for the 4th annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour that will commence on Sat. Sept 15th , 2007 .
Interested persons may post here .
John Fox , once again , is in charge of the intinerary .
Coney Isalnd Lou will be handling the shirts
I will be handling the logisitics and reservations .
Come one , come all .

Benzee
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/07/02 16:46:15 (permalink)
You can count me in!
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/07/02 16:49:26 (permalink)
IN!!!! My wife too!!!
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/07/08 22:41:35 (permalink)
Count me in along with my wife.

foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/07/12 23:30:02 (permalink)
i am hoping to go w/ my mom and maybe my older brother but it is too far ahead to say def. yes or no. i may have to follow by car due to not knowing my schedule
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/07/21 14:00:45 (permalink)
How much? WHere is the tour stopping? and how soon do you need to know?

Very Interested,
Tony
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/07/22 16:53:17 (permalink)
Hello all,

Welcome Tony !!
The tour will start at Galloping Hill Inn and visit six or seven Hot Dog establishments in the area . John Fox will put together the entire intinerary .We have a chartered bus and it costs $ 20 per person fromm GHI and back . The bus will also have a pickup in Upstate NY if that helps you .
We have visited in the past
Rutts Hutt
Tommys and Jerrys
Syds
Amazing Hot Dogs
and others

Check out the entire thread and you will see pictures and reviews about the tours

Would like to know if you are coming by Labor Day weekend the latest , this will be a sell out this year so don't wait if you know you are coming.

Coney Island Lou joined me on my radio show last Friday to discuss the tour .

Prime Time with Benzee
Every Friday 1230pm to 300pm LIVE
WTBQ 1110 AM www.wtbq.com to streamline live

Hope you all decide to join us

Benzee
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/07/22 17:43:01 (permalink)
Might actually finally get to do it this year! I know for a fact I missed out on some great tours in the past.
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/07/22 19:35:12 (permalink)
We will try to have the itinerary put together within a week or so. So far, Galloping Hill Inn, Jimmy Buff's, Papaya King, and Libby's are definites. I'll throw out a few names and we'll try to get a consensus. I'd like to have 2 more, at the most 3.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/07/26 15:27:17 (permalink)
Hello all

Love the list so far John . Looking forward especially to Jimmy buffs and Libbys .

Benzee
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/07/31 10:23:41 (permalink)
Original Jimmy Buffs is 75. East Hanover location serves best hot dog John Fox has ever had. Read it here.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-12/1185858059112830.xml&coll=1
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/08/02 06:03:04 (permalink)
It's getting time to finalize the itinerary. So far it's Galloping Hill Inn, Jimmy Buff's, Papaya King, and Libby's. That's four. I was planning on 6 or 7 stops. I'm leaning towards 6 for several reasons. One is time constraints. Another is preventing hot dog fatigue. Another reason would be that Jimmy Buffs has several types of dogs. It's like hitting 2 stops in one. So that would leave 2 (at the most 3) stops left. I'll throw out a few suggestions, lets get some feedback, and we will try to decide on the itinerary by this weekend. If we can't come to a decision, I'll just pick them.

Suggestions: Father & Son in it's new location in Linden. They were closed for close to 2 years. Manny's Texas Weiners, also in it's new location where Father & Son used to be. Rutt's Hut. Tony's Truck. Amazing Hot Dog. Or anywhere else you might want to go.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/08/02 07:43:55 (permalink)
Count me in. 2 reservations for me please.

ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 750
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/08/02 08:52:31 (permalink)
It would be nice to have as many 'new' stops as possible..perhaps in a slightly more concentrated area. I know a lot of folks like Rutt's...but....a lot also hate them with a passion, plus the fact is fairly off the trail, should make it a candidate for exclusion this year..of course, I am prejudiced!
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/08/05 00:30:17 (permalink)
Hello all ,
I like the choices so far . I would say the new Father and Son and new Mannys .
Tonys Truck may be a little out of the way as is Amazing Hot Dog if my directions are correct .
No problem if Rutts is left out this year , also a little out of the way .

Akavar I have you down for two .
Right now we have an airconditioned school bus and are awaiting word on the motorcoach upgrade . Clerical error on companys part .

I have a list I will post next week as I'm on VAC , a lot of new names are coming along from emails and calls .

Also talked to Jimmy Buff on my radio show last week and he is looking forward to meeting everyone . Show is on Fridays live 1230pm to 3 pm EST on WTBQ 1110am www.wtbq.com streamline live. Coney Island Lou has been a guest numerous times and John Fox has called in on occasion .

Benzee
johnhughes442
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/08/05 11:19:52 (permalink)
Count me in for a spot on the tour. Let me know where to send the money. I'd like to get a shirt too (3XL if possible). Looking forward to the 15th.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/08/05 14:37:01 (permalink)
Let's skip Rutt's Hut and Tony's wagon this year. what about those two places near the Paassaic Falls that we had to cancel out on last year? And, I think 6 is pleanty of stops for this old geezer.

Benzee, sign Gail and I up for the tour.

Cheers, John
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/08/05 19:35:21 (permalink)
Could you kindly put me down for three people? Thank you.
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/08/05 19:45:42 (permalink)
I'm glad that you all are coming! John, Libby's is the place that we had to cancel last year due to time. We will go this year and also take in a view of the Falls. John Hughes and Harriet, I'm looking forward to meeting you both. Harriet, I've enjoyed your posts here and on Roguefood. It will be nice to finally see you in person.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/08/05 20:31:04 (permalink)
Benzee,
I got your email, put me down for 2 if I'm not already on the list, the check is going out this week.

DPuro
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/08/05 20:37:33 (permalink)
I've heard parking is bad, but what about Boulivard Drinks? Or is that too far out of the way? Also what about Big Daddy's in Little Falls?

DPuro
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/08/05 22:33:02 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Got you all down for the trip .
Please send check or money order for $20 per person to

Erwin Benz
807 Cypress Ct.
Highland Mills NY 10930

T shirts are ordered seperately and we will have more info on them shortly . I actually have a sponsor from our radio show that may be able to make up the shirts for us at a nominal cost.
Coney Island Lou has some great shirts designs every year but the companys costs are high .

Benzee
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 12 of 43
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1