Hot!11th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 13th , 2014 - past trip reports

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 43
Author
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1873
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/11 20:29:36 (permalink)
Hey mrs mike ,
Being this is your first post I must welcome you to roadfood .
Now if you check the hot dog , and misc foods threads you will see that we visited Jimmy Buffs East Hanover location on this past Sept Jersey Hot Dog Tour .
We will also be at Charlies Pool Room tommorrow so join us if you can .

See you tommorrow Dave .
I will be picking Coney Island Lou up at Coney Island Rest. around 930am . Wonder if they will have a few dogs ready for us .
Meeting John Fox and Screenbear at 11 am at Galloping Hill Inn and then off to Charlies Pool Room.

Hot Dog King emailed me tonite and will be unable to make it .

Looking forward to seeing everyone tommorrow . A surprise or two is expected for those in attendance

Benzee
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/12 07:02:26 (permalink)
Benzee,
Is the surprise the recipe for the onion sauce? hehe

Dave
brookquarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 280
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/12 09:14:51 (permalink)
Hi I know this is extremely late notice but I now cannot attend. I have a meeting that I have to be at at 12 noon . sorry. I know everyone will enjoy Charlies
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/12 21:33:36 (permalink)
Mini Meet at Charlie's Pool Room

The phone rang this morning as I was running out to do a few errands before I headed up to Alpha, NJ. The plan was to meet at Charlie’s Pool Room for the unique hot dog experience that they provide. Tony Rudy was calling. He wanted to meet early and try a few places before we were supposed meet the rest of the Hot Dog eating group at Charlie’s.

Tony and I decided to meet at Key City Diner in Philipsburg, NJ. We would figure the rest of the stops out later. I postponed my errands and decided to take a scenic route up to P-burg.

It was a cool and gray autumn day. There was no wind, so the cool air was not objectionable. I took several back roads that I know so that I could peep at what leaves were left from the autumn foliage. This seems to have been a strange autumn. A few trees had completely shed their leaves. Others were the usual yellows, red, and oranges. These seemed to be rather muted in intensity compared to previous years. Finally, there were many trees that were still green and had all their leaves. This is very unusual for mid November.

After enjoying the scenic drive, I got to the diner a few minutes early. I noticed that at the top of the hand written list of specials posted at the door “Hot Dog Omelet”. This seemed a rather serendipitous start for a day of eating hot dogs.

When Tony arrived we both ordered the hot dog omelet. I asked for onions in mine. John Fox, I am sorry that I did not ask what kind of dog they used. I am very particular about my potatoes at breakfast. I always ask for the home fries or hash browns “crisp”. I am always amazed at what passes for crisp in some places.

I was not disappointed with my breakfast. The hot dog had been grilled before being put in the omelet and the home fries were sufficiently crisp. This was a good start on the day.

Tony and I went looking for a real hot dog to tide us over until we got to Charlie’s. We found that both Auntie T’s Dog Pound and Jimmy’s on the Delaware were closed.

www.jimmysonthedelaware.com

We tried a place across from Jimmy’s called Eddy’s Drive In. This place has changed hands several times in the last few years and we did not know what to expect. It seems that this place has become a Mexican take out restaurant but still serves hot dogs. We ordered one dog each. These dogs were from unknown parents and poorly deep fried. We put mustard and their apparently homemade relish on the dogs, but we could not taste anything. The dogs had no taste and no snap. They went in the dumpster after one bite.

This was a totally forgettable hot dog.

Tony and I went over to the rendezvous point in case anyone showed up. Everyone seemed to be getting to Charlie’s on their own so we left the rendezvous point and went to Charlie’s.

The Fencz Bros.

I have been to Charlie’s several times before. You can read me review in previous posts on this thread. As always, Charlie’s was great. I had my usual – two mealies. I am sure that others will explain what a mealie is.

This time I really enjoyed talking with all the people that showed up. When you go to Charlie’s you always wind up having conversations with whoever is sitting around the table eating their hot dogs. I have to say that this was the most gregarious bunch of people that I have ever shared the “Charlie’s experience” with. There was also a surprise birthday party for Seafarer John. A good time was had by all.

Happy birthday John!

I had not had a chance to talk that much with John Fox before. I really enjoyed talking to him about Chicago dogs the way I experienced them as a teenager. We also talked about Jimmy Buff’s in East Hanover.

www.jimmybuff.com

I really enjoy listening to John’s extensive understanding of hot dogs. Thanks John! And thanks to all the others who helped make this such an enjoyable lunch.

As we left Charlie’s a few folks headed off to their jobs or other appointments. A few headed back to NY state and were planning to stop at Hot Dog Johnny’s on the way. How did that turn out?

http://www.hollyeats.com/HotDogJohnny.htm

A few of us headed over to Toby’s Cup for a dog and/or a shake. I find Toby’s to be your standard western NJ dog. It is deep fried and served with onions, mustard, and pickle. This was a nice ending to the day for some of the group who had not had this kind of dog before. Toby’s also makes a good milk shake.

http://www.hollyeats.com/TobysCup.htm

I attempted to make one more stop as I headed back towards home. Even though this was becoming a very gray and foggy day I drove down along the Delaware River to Milford, NJ. There is a place on Bridge Street that has changed hands several times in recent years and I wanted to see if they were open.

The place is now called Big Momma’s. When I got there a few minutes after 3:00 PM they were closed. I guess that is a place that will have to wait for another day.

I continued my trip down the river to Frenchtown and then back home. This had been a great day. It was filled with wonderful people and great things to eat. Thanks everybody!

Addendum:

I made a major mistake in the write up of my first visit to Charlie's. I confused Joe with John. My apologies to all. I finally realized that I could go back and edit the post to correct that error. You can find the corrected post dated 3/3/07 here: http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40&whichpage=24
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/12 21:41:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by brookquarry

Hi I know this is extremely late notice but I now cannot attend. I have a meeting that I have to be at at 12 noon . sorry. I know everyone will enjoy Charlies

Sorry that we missed you, Brookquarry. To say that everyone will enjoy Charlies proved to be an understatement. Everyone loved Charlies! Special thanks to Joe and John Fencz for opening today especially for us. There were approximately 14 or 15 of us that showed up for an afternoon of hot dogs and socializing. I'll leave it to Benzee to list the attendees.

Charlies Pool Room has to be considered the most unique hot dog joint in N.J. if not the World. I'm too lazy to look for it now, but Akavar wrote an excellent review of Charlies Pool Room on the New Jersey Hot Dog Thread. Charlies is the quintessential Roadfood joint! Unique, great food, great atmosphere, great service. Taste is subjective. I've stated before that for me, I enjoy hearing or reading the opinion of others almost as much as sampling the hot dogs. And I enjoy the anticipation of trying a new place and finally getting to form my own opinion. I've posted my own opinions of many hot dog establishments. And whatever I've said, I've had people agree with me and people disagree. It's all good, because when it comes to judging hot dogs, what's good, or what's best, is what you like.

The funny thing is that out of all the places I've been to that serves hot dogs, there is only one place that I've never heard a bad opinion voiced. And that's Charlies. Not to say that there isn't someone somewhere that doesn't like it. But everyone I've spoken to who has eaten here has loved it. I'm glad that this was the opinion today. I feel cheated because I have a dislike/phobia for onions. Charlies has a Hungarian onion sauce/relish that is unique. A recipe that dates back to 1925 and Grandma Fencz. This topping is special in the way that Rutt's Hutt's relish and Father and Son's chili sauce is. Although I won't have it on my dog, I still love the basic dog served here. Pan fried in a skillet, served with a steamed bun and topped with mustard and pickle, this is an excellent dog. The unique topping puts it over the top.

I'm glad that everyone enjoyed their dogs today. And we had a little surprise birthday party for Seafarer John. Happy Birthday, Seafarer John! And thanks to everyone who made this a truly special day.
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/13 07:15:19 (permalink)
Again I posted this in another area but THANK all of you for inviyting me I had a great time! I look foward to future events and great converstaion.

Thanks again to The Fencz brothers and all who were there yesterday.

Tony
brookquarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 280
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/13 07:50:23 (permalink)
I'm really sorry I had to miss the mini-meet Charleys is a unique place and the hot dogs are very good. The relish is as good as Rutts although differant. Glad to hear a great time was had by all.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/13 09:27:25 (permalink)
When you get off I-78 in Alpha, NJ you make a right and a left and another left and another right and a few more turns and there's Charlie's Pool Room in a plain white house in the middle of a residential block. Joe and John Fencz are anticipating our arrival and there is John, standing in the door, welcming us to his family estalishment. The old wood floors squeak and creak and groan as we enter, John keeps on talkng and welcoming us, we take a seat at the old round table in the pool room - a small room mostly taken up by the covered pool table. The walls are covered with hand lettered messages from previous guests praising the estalishment and with messages announcing the joys of Christian living. The Fencz brothers are two of the most sincere honest and loving men I've met a in a very long time.

John urges us to order- there's no menu- he proudly says we have a one-item menu - hotdogs- you can have them three ways, with mustard, with our secret Hungarian recipe sweet sour onion sauce, or with everything; meaning the sauce, a dill pickle, and a sprinkling of sliced hot red and green peppers (called a "mealie". So, despite the fact that the rest of our party is yet to arrive, we order, get some quarters from John to feed the soda-can dispensing machine, and he explains that Joe, out back in the kitchen, can only cook a few dogs at a time in his single iron fry pan.

Our fellow Roadfooders drift in, a few at a time, find chairs and pull up to the round table and immediately join the conversation that John never lets die down - always having something to say to make everyone feel at home. And, home, is just what this place feels like - no pretensions here in this place. The table becomes overcrowded, so the late arrivals find benches and chairs arond the sides of the room or stand and enjoy their hotdogs.

While I'm savoring my third mealie, unconscious to all the clamor and animated conversation around me, Gail and Ginny suddenly appear at my shoulder with a chocolate brithday cake aglow with candles and all the Roadfood chorous sings "Happy Birthday" - a a finer rendition has never been sung than by this gregarious crew. With a mighty burst of air I blow out the candles, the cake is sliced, and Charlie's Pool Room has, for the first time in all its many years a third item on its menu - chocolate cake. I am totally surprised and delighted by the cake and the song and the congratulation I received for my 80th birthday - which, incidentally, will actually occur on the 24th of this month.

The party winds down, a whole lot of photos are taken, we all sign Charlie's guest book, and we depart happy and full of the taste of a great hot dog. We follw Akabar to rt 519 on our way to Hot Dog Johnnys up the road 20 miles or so. Rt 519 is scenic, has little traffic, and passes thru tiny communities - a nice drive.
We stop at Hot Dog Jonnys, but no one wants another hot dog, so we order birch beers and get back on the road - regretting that we cant really enjoy this bucolic place on the banks of a pretty little river. We stop and top off with some cheap gas ($2.92) while we are still in New Jersey and have an uneventful trip back to Gardiner where we enjoy a Martini with Bill and Ginny before going on to New Paltz for a light supper and early to bed after a long and wonderful day.

Cheers, John

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1587
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/13 13:05:03 (permalink)
First, Seafarer John, Happy Birthday!!. Great writeup on the trip. Thanks.

I wish I was there with you guys, but Monday was a work day for me. They do give us the day after Thanksagiving off. That's the trade-off, which works just fine for me in years when there is no hot dog trip to Charlie's on Veteran's Day...

Glad you all had a great time, Charlie's is a true New Jersey Gem. I agree about the trip on 519, one of the most scenic roads in NJ. You may have noticed the Red Wolfe Inn on the Northbound side, that's a great roadhouse tavern with some excellent beers on tap and good food.

Akavar: Your comments on the odd foliage this year are exactly in line with what my wife and I have been noticing, some trees are still green and some are done for the year. It's weird.

Hope to catch you all on the next trip, whenever. ---Ken
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/13 16:54:50 (permalink)
Hello all ,

FANTASTIC !!!!!!

What else can you say . A great day was had by all. The reports from everyone are correct .
John and Joe Fencz treated us like we were celebrities on our meet.
The Hot Dogs were great . The sauce even better.
This was the greatest Hot Dog eating experience that I've had . Great dogs , with great friends and great owners of the establishment .

What stands out for me was that everyone enjoyed the dogs , that is rare around a big group as ours.
The Hungarain sauce is the best I've had and for me on the top of the list as far as condiments along with the relish from Rutts Hutt. Grandma sure knew what she was doing when she started making the sauce , John and Joe still make it the same way as they did back in 1925 .

Happppy Birthday to Seafarer John the big 80th . !!!!!!
A pleasure to be involved in the celebration .

I have to agree with Johns assesment that John and Joe were two of the most sincere , honest
and loving men that I've met also in quite a long time . In this day of fast food restaurants and less than friendly service , Charlies Pool Room stands out among all .

Attendees included
Benzee
John Fox
Coney Island Lou
Screenbear
Akavar
DPuro
Seafarer John and Gail
Brooklyn Bill and Ginny
Tony
Fontaine and guest

A few of us also visited Tobys Cup down the road from Charlies and I enjoyed the dog , great price at around a buck , but the day was about Charlies .
Thanks everyone for making this a great time .
I highly recommend a visit to Charlies Pool Room . I know I will be going back soon.
Group picture hopefully to come .

Benzee
BrooklynBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/13 17:45:38 (permalink)
Charlie’s Pool Room was a one of a kind experience!
Our MAPQUEST directions were very accurate, but we went by the place on the first pass. I, the navigator, thought it was a storefront church. On the second try we saw the welcome sign, parked, and were greeted by John Fencz.
Akava’s pictures might give you an idea of the setting. Among its eclectic appointments was one covered pool table, which served as a coat-rack, a pinball machine and a TV set (tuned to the Food Channel) and many other things. Drinks were dispensed from a soda machine. About the only thing missing was the smell of a good old kerosene heater.
It was a fabled setting for a fabled dog and an outstanding Roadfood Hot Dog Meet.
The hot dog itself was way above average – a garlicky German type from a Pennsylvania provider. It retained its heat because it was slowly grilled by Joe Fencz in “a little Wesson oil.”
Ginny and I had the mealie – secret sauce, sweet onions, and four rings of hot peppers and the regular with just the secret sauce. Both were great.
The Fencz brothers – John and Joe were gracious, caring hosts. It was as if we were guests in their home – which we were.
We ended the day with a surprise birthday party for seafarer john that was conceived and executed by my wife, Ginny.
Would not have missed this day for anything!

Bill.

Note to the Roadfood.com movers and shakers:
Is it time to think of a new forum that would be dedicated to Roadfood trips – their planning and their aftermath?

b
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 749
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/14 10:01:35 (permalink)
Took a while (I have been packing for LV!) but here is a group shot from Charlie's:

front row: Me, Fontaine, Akavar, Benzee, Ginny (Mrs Brooklyn Bill), Birthday Boy Seafarer John

back row: Joe, Gail (Mrs Seafarer John), John, DiPuro, Tony, Screenbear, John Fox, Brooklyn Bill Esser

please correct if necessary - I forget which one is John and which is Joe!

off to Vegas!
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/14 10:30:35 (permalink)
Great reports, great pics. Joe is the Fencz brother to the left in the blue shirt. He's the host and greeter. John, here in a green shirt, is the cook. It seems folks often confuse who is who, just like another famous pair: "The Two and Only," Bob and Ray of radio fame.

This was just a great time. There's something to be said of the good feeling that emanated from the combination of people and place. If you could duplicate that, the world would be a far better place.

"Hot Dog Gatherings Lead to Worldwide Peace---Sociologists Scratch Heads over Phenomenon."

With this dedicated hub of good folks, I don't think there'll be a problem organizing a Western NJ Hot Dog Tour in the spring.

The Bear
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/14 10:41:59 (permalink)
Thanks for the group shot, Lou, and good luck to you in Vegas - hope you hit a big jackpot.

The woman sittng next to me is Gail, my wife. The woman between John and Joe Fencz, is Ginny, Broklyn Bill's wife and the thoughtful provider of the chocolate birthday cake...

Cheers, John
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/14 11:36:42 (permalink)
I confess to having confused Joe and John. I think I might have helped propagate that bit of confusion. Over time I have probably confused a few others in our esteemed group. My apologies to everyone.

Now, if I could only remember who I am...
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/14 16:42:34 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Great group shot Lou and good luck in Vegas !!
Brooklyn Bill there is a forum for trip reports but this thread has grown beyond anything we could imagine .
Screenbear , my thoughts exactly .

Benzee
BrooklynBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/15 16:23:05 (permalink)
Benzee,

If the Trip Reports forum is a place where the Hot Dog Nation can plan and then report on tours, what are we doing on Miscellanies-Food Related?
I was under the impression that the Trip Reports forum was for reporting on a trip after it happened.

Bill
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/15 19:41:37 (permalink)
Bill,

The trip reports section is for past trips , so I guess you could put a review over there also .
We were originally moved to this sect . by one of the administers who was putting all upcoming trips in here . We have just kept this going .

Benzee
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/11/23 21:20:20 (permalink)
Hello all ,

We would like to wish Seafaerer John a Happy 80th Birthday this month .
We celebrated with cake and a dog at Charlies Pool Room a few weeks ago .
Happy B Day to a great roadfooder and a fine American !!!!

Benzee
BrooklynBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/12/18 17:37:49 (permalink)
Benzee,

Great organizing job! We needed something like this!!
Thank you.

Bill

Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/12/19 22:01:49 (permalink)
Hi all ,

I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !!!
And for you Happy Holiday folks
Happy Channukah
Happy Kwanzaa
Happy Festivus

Our 2nd annual Hudson Valley Hot Dog Tour will take place probably mid April .

Our 5th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour will take place in mid Sept date TBA soon.

Another Charlies Pool Room meet is a definite for the spring / early summer .

I hope to join fellow roadfooders on some other food tours in the next year .

Benzee
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/12/20 05:34:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Benzee

Hi all ,

I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !!!
And for you Happy Holiday folks
Happy Channukah
Happy Kwanzaa
Happy Festivus

Our 2nd annual Hudson Valley Hot Dog Tour will take place probably mid April .

Our 5th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour will take place in mid Sept date TBA soon.

Another Charlies Pool Room meet is a definite for the spring / early summer .

I hope to join fellow roadfooders on some other food tours in the next year .

Benzee

HI BENZEE !!! Happy Holidays and a great 2008 to you and your lovely wife and little boy.
And thanks for the Hanukah wishes. (Hanukah seemed to have came and went so fast this year. But my sis made some great potato latkes, so that was our way of celebrating!)

Glad to hear about the propsed mid-Hudson hot dog tour in April..
espescially glad that it won't interfere with my Austin Roadfood.com trip in late April (will we be seeing you in Austin, Benzee? Hope so..)

perhaps we will both be at the final table of a poker tourney again before any of this, though!
bob12312357
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/12/21 19:51:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ken8038
[br I agree about the trip on 519, one of the most scenic roads in NJ. You may have noticed the Red Wolfe Inn on the Northbound side, that's a great roadhouse tavern with some excellent beers on tap and good food.

519 is a truely sweet road. Especially when your on a bike as opposed to in a 2-5 ton cage. For a nice scenic ride/drive/frentic triple digit pace scenic ride keep on 519N until it turns into 23/519 N then you can pick up the pace by highpoint state park. Follow the 23N through the park( ohh man the road is so sweet and twisty especially as the pace is picked up) to 6, make the i believe left onto 6 even though you'll see signs for 97N so if i'm wrong it wouldn't matter and go on 6 to 97N. 97N takes you through the Hawks Nest. Many car commercials such as BMW,Jaguar and Cadillac are shot here. For about another 100+ or so miles 97N follows the Deleware river through Sullivan and Pike counties. Then lay the hammer down on 17N which will take you to Binghamton. My favorite NYC to Binghamton route is 287,22,519,97,17. Never any traffic and a heck of a lot more scenic then the bumper to bumper traffic on the thruway.
The tavern on 519 is especially good. Never tried their brews but the food has never left me disapointed. The best hot dog custard place in NJ and one i've never heard mentioned lies at the corner of 519 and 46 next to the gas station on the 519N side. Some good eats in that area if you take the back roads.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/12/29 22:21:37 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Our meeting spot on the Hudson Valley Hot Dog Tour is Coney Island Resturant in Middletown NY .
I recently got an email after signing up for their updates for a coupon $5.00 gift certificate good till Feb 28th . The anme is under Johnny D's Diner
Same coupon has been in our local rag the Times Herald Record.
Anyone in the area they have great Coney Dogs .
For first timers and us veteran Hot Dog lovers , the price is definetly right on this one

Benzee
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 593
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/12/29 22:45:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Thanks for the group shot, Lou, and good luck to you in Vegas - hope you hit a big jackpot.

The woman sittng next to me is Gail, my wife. The woman between John and Joe Fencz, is Ginny, Broklyn Bill's wife and the thoughtful provider of the chocolate birthday cake...

Cheers, John

Thanks for clearing that up John. I thought I was losing it again.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon. Let me know when you are in town.

John
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2008/01/01 02:52:29 (permalink)
Yo Rat and Beenze..don't forget Hirum's in Ft. Lee..Give me two well done, an order of well done fries and 2 Yoo Hoo's!
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2008/01/03 22:13:51 (permalink)
Hi Baah ben,

Have stopped by Hirams a few times . Callahans next store was torn down for a bank , what a shame for hot dog lovers everywhere .

Little too far out of the way of the others on the Jersey Hot Dog Tour but definetly worth a visit.

Benzee
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2008/01/04 09:10:39 (permalink)
Terrific idea to have a hot dog get together where everyone offers up a coupon - sorry we cant sign up because we might not be back from Florida in time to get to the meet- most likely return about the 24th of Feb.

Cheers, John
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2008/01/28 20:07:49 (permalink)
Hello all ,

The 2nd Annual Hudson Valley Hot Dog Tour will take place either Sat April 4th or 11th.
Hope all is well with everyone .
Some recent stops for mew have included Crifs Dogs in the East Village of NYC , Johnny and Hanges and The Galloping Hill Inn.

The 5th annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour will be a Sat. in Sept .
Intinerary will be recommended by John Fox who I feel confident in calling " New Jerseys Foremost Authority on Hot Dogs" . Come on the tour and you will see what I mean.

On another note I may be more coordinating than eating after the winter months as I'm awaiting approval from my Insurance on a laproscopic band procedure I hope to be having .

So I may have to make one more trip before my stomach shrinks to about one half cup.

Where would you go for the one last Dog?????

I'm thinking either Rutts Hutt or Charlies Pool Room

Chime in folks on this question

Benzee
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2008/01/28 21:46:11 (permalink)
Hey, Benzee,
Tough, tough call.
But to answer it seriously, I'd want a Syd's dog. However, because there is no more Syd's, I'd do this:

I'd approach a hot dog place in N.J. that is serving the Best Provision 5 to a lb. n/c dog, and ask that they cook it as close as possible to the way Syd's did. Which is, to boil it, and then char it some on a charcoal grill.

BUT, If you're going for Atmosphere AND Dog, then your choice of either Charlie's Pool Room or Rutt's is spot on. I'd lean toward Charlie's...for at least three entrees with Grandma Fencz's sauce before the Big Diet. The memory will take you through the tricky turns.

Good Luck,
The Bear
quote:
Originally posted by Benzee

Hello all ,

The 2nd Annual Hudson Valley Hot Dog Tour will take place either Sat April 4th or 11th.
Hope all is well with everyone .
Some recent stops for mew have included Crifs Dogs in the East Village of NYC , Johnny and Hanges and The Galloping Hill Inn.

The 5th annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour will be a Sat. in Sept .
Intinerary will be recommended by John Fox who I feel confident in calling " New Jerseys Foremost Authority on Hot Dogs" . Come on the tour and you will see what I mean.

On another note I may be more coordinating than eating after the winter months as I'm awaiting approval from my Insurance on a laproscopic band procedure I hope to be having .

So I may have to make one more trip before my stomach shrinks to about one half cup.

Where would you go for the one last Dog?????

I'm thinking either Rutts Hutt or Charlies Pool Room

Chime in folks on this question

Benzee
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 43
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1