The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

11th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 13th , 2014 - past trip reports

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 4 of 43, messages 91 to 120 of 1280
ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sun, 05/7/06 8:30 AM (permalink)
It's approximately 870.68 miles from Nashville to Syd's (Vauxhall section of Union, N.J.), the great hot dog venue which will, in all likelihood, be the disembarkation point for the Fall 2006 New Jersey Hot Dog Tour.

Syd's is about 30 minutes from Newark Liberty International Airport. Usual taxi cost is about $35 each way.

Figure 13.7 hours by car from Nashville, Tennessee; probably 1.75 hours by plane.

* Note to Parisians flying in for the tour this coming fall. Plan for about 7 hours in the air, and then 45 minutes total ground transportation.

The Bear

Akavar

• Total Posts: 361
    RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sun, 05/7/06 11:42 AM (permalink)
    FWIW - I was on the Roadfood New England Tour Yesterday and was advertising this event to the other Roadfoodies who were there.

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
      RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sun, 05/7/06 11:50 AM (permalink)
      Avakar and Screenbear ,
      Thanks for getting the word out .
      We will be picking a date shortly to ensure our hot dog expert John Fox can attend . It truly is a pleasure to hear him speak about the different establishments , brands of dogs , toppings , in person .

Benzee

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
        RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sun, 05/7/06 12:05 PM (permalink)
        860 miles...One days drive in a car, two on the hog. If you schedule it late enough in the pool season, I believe I'll join you fine folks.

Sundancer7

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sun, 05/7/06 12:24 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Poverty Pete

860 miles...One days drive in a car, two on the hog. If you schedule it late enough in the pool season, I believe I'll join you fine folks.

Speaking of the hog, if it rains, it could be more than two days. It could be three or more. You cannot get it wet as it would take you a couple of days to clean it up.

Gotta have a clean hog. Yellow hogs don't look right dirty

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

Benzee

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Fri, 05/12/06 9:33 AM (permalink)
            Hey Poverty Pete,

Great if you could join us also .
            Last Sept we visited
            Hot Dog Grill
            Rutts Hutt
            Father and Son
            Mannys II Texas Weiners
            Syds
            Galloping Hill Inn
            Tabatchniks
            Jerrys Italian Dogs
            Tommys

All great in their own way .

Benzee

pcdiva

• Total Posts: 591
              RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Fri, 05/12/06 1:25 PM (permalink)
              There's not a quick way for me to get to NJ from MI, but if finances allow, I'd love to join in. I've seen a lot of these places on the Hot Dog Show on PBS and would really love to try some delicious dogs with great company.

I've already committed to the next Wisconsin trip Sept. 8-11, since that's a pretty easy drive or even cheaper train ride for me. Long train ride, but cheap! (I may rent a car in Chicago and bypass the 4 hour layover that makes the train trip 10 hours instead of 6)) So if dates and cash allow... I'll keep checking in so I can firm up my plans.

Alice

MandalayVA

• Total Posts: 367
                RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Fri, 05/12/06 10:42 PM (permalink)
                August 26? My friend and I (hopefully) will be at the Steelers/Eagles preseason game the night before, and she has never had Jersey hot dogs ... if it's 8/26, you can add two more to the list.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                  RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sat, 05/13/06 11:23 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by MandalayVA

August 26? My friend and I (hopefully) will be at the Steelers/Eagles preseason game the night before, and she has never had Jersey hot dogs ... if it's 8/26, you can add two more to the list.

Right now we are planning Crabcakes in Baltimore for August 26th. Love to have you join us for that. http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12706

Benzee

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sat, 05/20/06 8:58 AM (permalink)
                    Hello all ,

Yes the Crabstock meet is Aug 26th . I'm looking forward to joining you all for the event .
                    Do not have a date for Fall yet , when we do it will be posted .

Benzee

Benzee

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sat, 05/27/06 10:18 AM (permalink)
                      Hello all ,

We will be looking for dates , Sat in Sept or Oct.
                      My schedule is pretty much open .

Benzee

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
                        RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sun, 05/28/06 8:00 AM (permalink)
                        I think we should try and decide whether we want to do a West Jersey Tour, which may be difficult as far as providing a bus, or just doing a tour similar to last year where we hit a number of places featuring different types of dogs. It's not too early to start planning, as we would like to get a lot of people for this one.

Benzee

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sun, 05/28/06 12:49 PM (permalink)
                          John ,

I would love to do a similar tour as last year , you can tweak the intinerary of places as you feel fit , I'm sure there are a few great dog establishments that we did not visit on last years tour .

I would think that the West Jersey tour may be more doable with a small group , kinda like a mini meet one day soon . A bus for the Western tour will be more expensive than before .

With some planning I can probably get us a Motorcoach reserved and always switch back to a school bus if we have to .

I had my favorites from last years tour , and we were treated like celebs at Mannys , pictures , reserved tables and all , I really wish we could've spent more time talking with him .

Any suggestions on new places to visit in same general area ?

I'm available the week of June 5th to 9th one day for a mini meet /planning session if anyone wants to get together.

Benzee

Akavar

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Mon, 05/29/06 8:12 AM (permalink)
                            I will volunteer to help with the planning/organization of the tour. Just let me know how I can help.

MoonDoggieNJ

• Total Posts: 4
                              RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Mon, 05/29/06 10:32 PM (permalink)
                              If I may make a couple of suggestions. Hank's Franks on Route 46 in Lodi & Hot Grill in Clifton.

Does anyone remember the hot dogs at the now defunct Waterfalls Inn in Garfield? They were truly the BEST!
                              MoonDoggieNJ

quote:
                              Originally posted by Benzee

John ,

Any suggestions on new places to visit in same general area ?

I'm available the week of June 5th to 9th one day for a mini meet /planning session if anyone wants to get together.

Benzee

waltpiii

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Tue, 05/30/06 2:14 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by sonjaab

BENZEE..................Amen to that !!!!!
                                Mannys treated us the BEST out of all the places !
                                That guy was a riot !!!!!!!!............geo

BTW: In 2 weeks I will be in Hartford Ct. for our
                                annual Snow and Ice Mgmt. Assoc. (SIMA) symposium

Have sneaky plans to blow off some of the boring meetings
                                and hit Louis Lunch, Abbotts Lobster pound............
                                The food at the Marriott prob. won't anything special!

Any good dog joints in that area????????

Roscoe's Big Dog on Franklin Ave., Hartford
                                Doogie's on the Berlin Turnpike, Newington
                                Capital Lunch in New Britain

long dog

• Total Posts: 295
                                  RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Wed, 05/31/06 8:47 PM (permalink)
                                  Dawg Haus
                                  1360 East St
                                  New Britain
                                  860-224-2636
                                  serves a Grote & Weigel - split

Augie & Ray's
                                  314 Main St
                                  East Hartford
                                  860-568-3770
                                  serves a Grote & Weigel

more info on what Walt gave you:
                                  Rosco's
                                  394 Franklin Ave
                                  Hartford
                                  860-296-2867
                                  serves Thumann's

Doogie's
                                  2525 Berlin Tpke
                                  Newington
                                  860-296-2867
                                  serves 3 sizes of Grote & Weigel - 10", 18" 24"

Capitol Lunch
                                  510 Main St
                                  New Britain
                                  860-229-8237
                                  serves Martin Rosol - known locally for their chili. You either love it or hate it. Tastes like Manny's chili.

Personally, I'd go to Rosco's and/or Dawg Haus.

Benzee

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Tue, 06/6/06 4:05 PM (permalink)
                                    Hello all ,

We will be having a Mini meet on Thurs June 8th at Coney Island Restaurant in Middletown NY to enjoy the company of fellow posters , Coney Dogs , and to discuss the fall Jersey Hot Dog Tour .

All are invited to attend , we are up to 10 so far .

Benzee

MoonDoggieNJ

• Total Posts: 4
                                      RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Wed, 06/7/06 5:17 AM (permalink)
                                      I'm new to your group. Can someone give me some insite on what criteria is used to determine what makes someone's hotdogs better than others? Is it all based on the taste of the dog, the toppings, presentation, or a combination of all three?

Benzee

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Wed, 06/7/06 4:34 PM (permalink)
                                        Hey Moon Doggie ,

I would have to say all three . If you go to the Hot dogs , Sausages and Brats section and start you're own new topic , I'm sure you will get many opinions .

There is also one topic on Jersey Hot Dogs with over three hundred posts , very informative and you will get a lot of info from it .

Hope that helps you

Benzee

PS - Number for tommorrow is at 10 so far

Benzee

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Sun, 06/11/06 11:14 AM (permalink)
                                          Hello all ,

Back to the tour shall we .
                                          We discussed a lot at our mini meet at Coney Island last Thurs to prepare for our Fall Hot Dog Tour
                                          We have a tentative date for Sat . Sept 16th , 2006 for the 3rd annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour .
                                          We will be reserving the bus this coming week and once I get a price will pass on the per person cost .
                                          The starting point in Jersey will be Syds or Galloping Hill .
                                          Anyone from Upstate NY we are looking at a pickup location in Newburgh that was suggested by Brooklyn Bill . If it does not work than we can always use last years pickup point in Harriman NY.
                                          John Fox will be tweaking the intinerary this year . Any suggestions either email him or post here .
                                          I will be starting a list for signups soon , if you are interested let me know .

Benzee

Akavar

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Tue, 06/13/06 6:29 PM (permalink)
                                            Sorry for taking so long with this. Here (at last) are the pics from the mini meet last week. Benzee took most of them.

Those were some really great dogs. Thanks Lou.

It was nice to meet all of you. I am looking forward to meeting the rest of you in September.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                              RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Tue, 06/13/06 6:37 PM (permalink)
                                              I see a chili dog for Unclevic there!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Tue, 06/13/06 6:41 PM (permalink)
                                                Dont worry roosy... I'm drooling over several of them plates...

seafarer john

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Tue, 06/13/06 6:58 PM (permalink)
                                                  Just in case anyone wants to pick the guilty out of the lineup:
                                                  Left to right- Brooklyn Bill, Mrs. BB (Ginny), Coney Island Lou (our host and guide), Mrs Benzee, Benzee Jr, Benzee, Seafarer, Mrs Seafarer (Gail), Akavar, Walt.

cheers, John

Benzee

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Thu, 06/15/06 5:26 PM (permalink)
                                                    Hello All ,

I'm glad the pictures came out well . Gives us a little zing going into the Fall tour I think .

I will let everyone on the Hot Dog page know that the photos are up on this thread .
                                                    Thanks Akavar !!

Benzee

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
                                                      • Location: Middletown, NY
                                                      RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Fri, 06/16/06 9:43 PM (permalink)
                                                      And just FYI - the girl next to Akavar (finally got it right!)in the blue jacket is Jamie, the manager of Coney Island...very accomodating, does a nice job running the joint!

Benzee

• Location: Bullville , NY
                                                        RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Mon, 06/19/06 4:46 PM (permalink)
                                                        Hey Lou ,

I will be whipping up a flyer this week for our Jersey Hot Dog tour . I may be visitng Father and Son on Thurs after work and hope to meet with John for a dog or two .
                                                        They are closing on Sat. . Excellent stop on last years Hot Dog Tour , shame to see it go .

Benzee

seafarer john

RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Mon, 06/19/06 9:22 PM (permalink)
                                                          That place was one of my favorites on last years tour- #2 behind Galloping Hill although they are poles apart in the style of dog they offer. It's a damn shame they are closing -they'd be welcome here in New Paltz if they want to move...

Cheers, John

BrooklynBill

• Total Posts: 187
                                                            • Location: Gardiner, NY
                                                            RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets Thu, 06/22/06 2:45 PM (permalink)
                                                            Thank you, Akavar, for the fine shots of our June Middletown meet.
                                                            Thank you, seafarer john, for helping me find them.

Bill

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 4 of 43, messages 91 to 120 of 1280

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com