Hot!12th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 12th , 2015 - past trip reports

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 43 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/08/28 09:51:18 (permalink)
Well -

I decided to go to The Hot Grill for the first time. Had a chili dog and fries w/gravy. The dog was great I found it to have great flavor and a nice snap. Topped with a good brown mustard, chili and onions, I was still able to taste each ingredient. It was a very nicely balanced combination. The gravy on the fries had an excellent flavor, but the fries were too soft for my taste. I like crisp potatoes.

On that same excursion I went to Rutt's Hut for the second time in my life. I had a ripper and fries w/gravy. The ripper was great - especially with their home made relish. The fries were crisp - as I like them - but the gravy was not as tasty as the Hot Grill. If you could take the Hot Grill gravy and put it with the Rutt's Hut fries...

I tasted a lot more dogs this summer. In the interest of keeping the postings to a reasonable length I will post a few tastings at a time.

If the moderator thinks this should be in another thread or a thread of it's own I will gladly follow that guidance.

Akavar
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1878
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/08/29 15:37:57 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Screenbear and Akavar I have you down on the list .
Up to 30 now , keep those checks coming in . !!

The radio show has been changed to 1 - 2 pm on Fridays .
www..wtbq.com
1110 am
845 651 1110

Last week John Fox and Coney Island Lou both called in and talked Hot Dogs and the upcoming tour .

Anyone else interested in calling in and talking Roadfood , let me know .

Benzee
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/08/30 11:30:30 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Great News !!!!
We have been able to upgrade from the airconditioned school bus to -

Deluxe Motorcoach with Bathroom and Lavatory , microphone system and lower storage area for coolers and gifts .

Received the news today that another group cancelled a trip for that day and we secured the bus for the tour .
We will need about 40 attendees to make that work for us , so if you are interested in joining us jump onboard !!!!

Screenbear got your check , thanks .

Seafarer John , Gail , Brroklyn Bill and his wife , CI Lou and myself will really appreciate the extra comfort that a Motorcoach will provide with the pick up from Monroe / Harriman area .

Benzee
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/08/30 17:57:06 (permalink)
Some additional observations from hot dog tastings this summer.

I visited Max's and Windmill in Long Branch several times each this summer.

During my two visits to Max's I found the management to be not very friendly. By this I mean the manager and the cashier. Both times my wait person was efficient and professional, but the manager and the cashier neve smiled at anyone, not just me, or seemed to have any enthusiasm for what they were doing. I know that is not an assessment of the food, but if the atmosphere that I perceived is that objectionable to me, then it will have a great deal to do with any desire for future visits.

The food at Max's was OK, but not great. I found it interesting that they are about the only place that I tried this summer that does not use a variation on Cincinnati chili to top their dogs. They use a traditional Mexican style chili - beans and all. I found this too thin to properly cover the dog. Also, their technique of almost breaking the buns in half to toast them causes the buns to break in half once they were served. They further deteriorate once you start to eat your chili dog and make a mess that I found objectionable. The large dog was grilled and had a nice flavor and snap, but in my opinion, did not make up for all the other drawbacks I perceived at Max's.

I liked their milk shakes and the onion rings were passable. However, I thought all the prices were too high as a chili dog, rings, and milk shake were almost $15.

At the Windmill I had the chili dog, kraut dog, fries, and milk shake. I found the grilled dog to my liking, as was the chili that topped it. For the kraut dog, they put a big pot of kraut in front of you for you take how much you want. With some good brown mustard, the kraut dog had a nice balance. I also found the rings to be good as well as the shake.

I find that I much prefer the Windmill to Max's.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/08/31 09:10:05 (permalink)
And just a reminder for those folks from Albany, western Mass, and western Connecticut, the Harriman Park n' Ride is just down Rt 17 SOUTH from Exit 17 of the NYS Thruway. And also, if you are coming from Westchester, LI, Northern NJ or southern CT, we certainly would be glad to pick you up somewhere along the way! Just contact me or Benzee beforehand!
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2338
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/08/31 12:30:25 (permalink)
Lou,

I've been unsuccessful trying to get a shirt for the tour. I picked one out, but forget my user name and password. I somehow was able to get an e-mail off to them, but they haven't responded. I've tried a few times. Once, there was something saying that they would send an e-mail with my password and user name, but they never did. Do you have a phone number where I can contact them?
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/08/31 18:01:28 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Another 10 paid today , thanks Mr . Phil !!

I will be unable to attend the radio show (1110am WTBQ ) tomorrow due to work , but will try to call in . 1- 2 pm

I'm off the next three weeks for VAC so we are all set to go after this week.

Perhaps CI Lou would like to join us in the studio next Fri the 8th or 15th , and John and anyone else willing to make the drive to Orange County NY is welcome also .

Benzee
jablatt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/08/31 20:59:04 (permalink)
Do you still have room for the tour? Just ate dinner @ Amazing Hot Dog and the owner told me about the tour - I am interested if you still have room!

thanks,
Jason
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/08/31 21:24:24 (permalink)
Jason ,
Yes we have room on the tour , I was able to get us a 50 plus passenger Motorcoach , so we have room for about 20 more on the trip.

I will email you the details.

Benzee
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/02 20:47:16 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Uncle Buck one of the on air personalities at WTBQ 1110 am will be joining us on the tour .
We can be heard on Fridays from 1 to 2 pm www.wtbq.com
John has been calling in the past few weeks and CI Lou has called in .
Open invitation to CI Lou , Seafarer John , John Fox or anyone else who would like to be on the show in the studio
Located in Florida NY between Chester and Warwick .
Let me know

Akavar and Screenbear are now paid .
32 on the list so far.

A few from last year I have not heard from lately include

Scallion 1
Long Dog
Lil Dog
Meowzart
Cervisism
Alesrus and Aleswench
Brooklyn Bill

Let me know if you want in folks .

Benzee
BrooklynBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/03 11:24:57 (permalink)
Hi Benzee --
We'd like in!
Kindly confirm two places on the bus, one for BrooklynBill and one for wife Virginia.
The check will be in the mail by 9/5/06.
Thank you.

Bill
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/03 11:35:12 (permalink)
Benzee: Gail and I will be there for the hot dogs. The check is in the mail...

Cheers, John
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/03 22:26:12 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Brooklyn Bill and Virginia you are on the list
Seafarer John and Gail you are also on the list

I'm glad you guys are going , you will enjoy the extra comfort of the Motorcoach

CI Lou will be a guest next Friday in the studio with Benzee , Uncle Buck and the entire crew at WTBQ 1110 am . www.wtbq.com 1- 2 pm
Lou if you want I can meet you at CI restaurant around 1130 am for a few dogs and drive you down to the show .

Benzee
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/07 10:12:51 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Hot Dog Nation presents

It is that time again to start collecting for the Jersey Hot Dog Tour .
The date is Sat. Sept . 16th
Bus departs Orange County NY at 930am
Pickup at Galloping Hill Inn , NJ at 1100am
We upgraded to a Deluxe Motorcoach for our tour and the cost will be $20 per person .

We will also have soda and water on the bus to quench your thirst inbetween stops.

To ensure seating please send a check or money order payable to Erwin Benz or cash to

We are limited to the first 50 paid .

Coney Island Lou did a great job on the tour shirt .

John Fox is finalizing the intinerary and order of visits.

I have sent out a few press releases to the media , so if you see any out there let me know , under Hot Dog Nation .

Thanks for your interest

Benzee

Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/07 10:18:10 (permalink)
Here are some mention of the stops by John Fox .
We are starting at Galloping Hill Inn .

To include Syds
Tommys and Jerrys
Amazing Hot Dog
J s Beef
Dickie Dees
Mannys Texas Weiners
Libbys
Tonys Truck and
Rutts Hutt " Rated top 10 nationwide by the Travel Channel"
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

I think it would be a good idea to start at either Syd's or the Galloping Hill Inn in Union. We can hit one or both of these places. Both were very popular in the past. In the general area of Father & Son, which is closed and awaiting a new location, is J's Beef, which serves an authentic Chicago Hot Dog as well as Italian Beef. This, in my opinion, would make a very good stop. Close by, and serving 2 great hot dogs are Jerry's and Tommy's in Elizabeth. Jerry's serves a great all beef dog, while Tommy's serves perhaps the best Italian Hot Dog and sausage sandwich.

This would make a great start, although we can omit any one of those named (with the exception of J's). Other stops might include Rutt's Hutt, Libby's, which is similar in style to the Hot Grill (Texas Weiner), but a place many haven't been to. In fact, most of the North Jersey Texas Weiner joints grew out of Libby's. It is an old fashioned diner that opened in 1937. Across the street is a beautiful view of the Falls. We checked this out while on a Munchmobile outing. You walk over a small bridge with a drop of a hundred or so feet below you. Other possibilities might include Manny's Texas Weiners as some have expressed a desire to return, or maybe a trip to Newark, which is convenient if travelling north on the Parkway. We could check out the fairly new Amazing Hot Dog on Bloomfield Ave. in nearby Verona, which serves a 1/4 lb deep fried Best's dog with a wide array of toppings, and Dickiee Dees in Newark, a classic Italian Hot Dog joint. We can maybe substitute Newark for Elizabeth. A few blocks away from Dickiee Dees is Tony's, a truck serving boiled, or dirty water dogs. Tony is known for great chili and the hottest onions around. I'll have to check and see if he's open Saturday. Your thoughts?
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/07 12:39:00 (permalink)
Got my shirt today. I am now officially ready!!

Benzee -

I listened to the radio show online last week. I will probably call in tomorrow. Is there a theme? Or do people just call in and chat about whatever?

Also - having been born and raised in Chicago, I am really looking forward to stopping at J's Beef. I have not had enough Chicago dogs in the past few years and am anxious to see how they do theirs. However, I think that I am most interested in is the Chicago style beef sandwich. These are very rare outside of Chicago and I may have to try both the dog and the beef.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/07 14:04:07 (permalink)
Hello Akavar ,

The show is about anything you want it to be . Uncle Buck will be joining us that day and he would love to talk to anyone going on the tour so please call in .

We will have the Orange County Sheriff Carl Dubois and Harold from Cruise Holidays scheduled to be in the studio . CI Lou will join us next week

Feel free to call in , I will give them a heads up to expect the call .

Benzee
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/08 10:05:39 (permalink)
Hello all ,
Back to the tour shall we .
Here is the roll call

Benzee
John Fox
Coney Island Lou
Uncle Buck of WTBQ 1110 am
Screenbear
Seafarer John and Gail Logan
Brooklyn Bill and Ginny
Mr. Phil plus (9)
Umbada
Linda
Leo
Jonathan $15 paid
Akavar
Tom and Eilleen DeHaven
Dave Puro (2)
Tom and Rosemary Fiorello
All above are paid
---------
Following on list not paid yet
Jablatt
Sonjaab
Rich Pawlak
Gary Renna
Signman
Long Dog and Lil Dog
Chris Oldfield
Andre Coklyat

Brings the list up to 39 so far with a week to go .
Realistically can put 54 on the bus .
Deluxe Motorcoach with lavatory and video screens .

Our regular driver Dennis from all our K of c trips will be handling the duties , Gary our driver from last year has a family function to attend and cannot drive but saw him yesterday and he wishes everyone to have a great time .

I have a request in to my local paper for coverage so we may or may not have a reporter onboard .

Email me with any questions
Everyone is welcome

Benzee
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/09 11:11:25 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Rich and Gary are now paid . Thank you .

Still awaiting word on the others

Benzee
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/10 08:58:30 (permalink)
Everything is set for next week's 3rd Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour! Hopefully we will have good weather. We will be meeting at the Galloping Hill Inn in Union at 11:00. Those of you coming from New York will meet in Orange County at 9:30. Following is a list of stops and a description of the dogs. First off, let me stress that you pace yourself. I enourage sharing. It's hard to eat 11 hot dogs, so it would be wise to pick and choose. You may want to omit some dogs that you've tried in the past and don't particularly care for. Or some that you may not like the style (deep fried, for example). Or have a bite or 2. I will do my best to describe the dog at each place while we are on the bus. For now:

1) Galloping Hill Inn, Union. The dog is a beef/pork frank made to the original recipe that was produced by a German Pork store. The store changed owners, but the dog is being made by Grote & Weigel of Connecticut. Different than the standard Grote & Weigel Griddle Frank that is served at many N.J. and Conn. hot dog establishments including Manny's. This dog is a favorite of some of our New York contingent. In my opinion, one of the three best pork/beef dogs in Jersey.

2) J's Beef, Linden. They serve an authentic Chicago Style Dog. In fact, they are the only place in Jersey that does. Vienna Beef dog, poppy seed bun, yellow mustard, neon green relish, chopped onions, pickle spear, tomatoes, and celery salt. They also have great barbecue, and Chicago Style Italian Beef sandwiches.

3) Jerry's Famous Frankfurters, Elizabeth. A walk up store front serving a tasty Best's brand frank. Boiled, then finished off on a grill. One of my top 3 favorite hot dogs.

4) Tommy's Italian Sausage and Hot Dogs, Elizabeth. Next to Jerry's. They serve a great Italian Hot Dog. Oven baked pizza bread (sort of like a pita) stuffed with fried beef dogs, onions, peppers, and thin sliced potatoes. Voted best Italian Hot Dog by the Star Ledger's S.W.A.T. Dog Team, of which myself and ScreenBear were members.

5) Manny's Texas Weiners, Union. An authentic Jersey style Texas Weiner. They use the standard Grote & Weigel Griddle Frank and top it with mustard, onions, and chili. Similar to that place in New York that Benzee, Coney Island Lou, Seafarer John, Brooklyn Bill, Akavar, and Walt visited recently.

6) Syd's, Union. Voted best grilled dog in the state. There were five categories that were voted on (grilled, dirty water, deep fried, chili, and Italian). After the voting was done, each of us were asked to name our favorite hot dog out of the 87 we sampled. Five out of 8 picked Syd's. It is a 5 to a lb natural casing Best's all beef dog that is boiled and then charbroiled. A great spicy kosher style dog.

7) Tony's Truck, Newark. A popular truck serving boiled or "dirty water" hot dogs. Second place in the dirty water category, I happen to like this one better than the one that came in 1st. You can see the entire article in the Jersey Hot Dog thread. I have provided a link, which is good for 14 days. The dog is an all beef Golden D brand dog. A little less spicy than Sabrett, with a nice snap to it. Tony's is known for having the spiciest hot onions in the state. I don't eat them, but those who do love them. They also have a spicy, tomatoey chili that is more in the style of Father & Son than the clovey, nutmegy chili of some of the Texas Weiner joints. A great example of a New Jersey Hot Dog Truck.

8) Dickiee Dees, Newark. One of the older Italian Hot Dog restaurants. Pictures of celebrities who have eaten there on the back wall. Different than Tommy's in that the potatoes are sliced in chunks rather than thinly sliced. The peppers are crunchier also. Tommy's are sauteed and soft. The dogs here are fried in peanut oil and taste exceptionally good.

9) Amazing Hot Dog, Verona. Open less than a year, AHD took 1st place for deep fried dog. They serve a quarter pound Best's all beef dog. Perhaps the most original toppings. Everything ranging from bacon to pineapples and cream chesse. They also have one of the best chili sauces that I've tasted.

10) Libby's Lunch, Paterson. One of the original Jersey Texas Weiner joints. Opened in 1936, they serve the North Jersey or "Hot" Texas Weiner, which is a deep fried, rather than grilled dog topped with thin rather than thick sauce. Considered by many to be the definitive Jersey Texas Weiner. In Libby's and Manny's, we have examples of the 2 types of Texas Weiners. North Jersey or "Hot" and Plainfield area (Manny's) which grills the dog and tops it with a thicker chili. Libby's is located next to the Falls. Before stopping in, we will walk across the street and get a view of the Falls.

11) Rutt's Hut, Clifton. Rutt's is one of the most popular hot dog joints in the state. Second place to Amazing Hot Dog in the deep fried category, they are really 2 different styles. AHD serves a well seasoned beef dog, while Rutt's uses a milder Thumann's dog made especially for deep frying. Libby's, mentioned above, also uses the Thumann's dog. Rutt's relish is unique and wildly popular.

Looking forward to seeing everybody Saturday. It will be a great time, just as the other 2 tours were.
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/10 13:21:02 (permalink)
I just received an e-mail from Jack, the owner of J's Beef in Linden. I am saddened to report that his father passed away this morning. J's will be closed for a minimum of one week and will not be open for our tour. I believe his father lives in Chicago. I passed on our condolences. He will be a part of a future tour.
Bill M
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/10 22:39:56 (permalink)

I was curious to know if there is any room left on the bus for the hot dog tour starting at GHI this weekend? I went two years ago and missed last year due to a career change.

Thanks

Bill
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/10 23:36:34 (permalink)
Bill M,

Yes there is room for about 10 to 12 more on the bus .
I expect this may sell out this week after having everyone see the intinerary , the styles of dogs , the great price , and the friends you can meet from the site.

On page 6 are payment instructions , let me know if you are sending payment out and I will put you on the list .

Benzee
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/11 15:46:59 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Sorry to hear about Jacks father passing away from J's Beef . Please send our condolences . Perhaps we can get a card and all sign it at the tour and have John give it to him on his return .

John did a great job of discussing the stops and different style of dogs in the thread . He is so correct that you must pace yourself , share one dog with another and enjoy the entire experience.

Have not heard from
Sonjaab
Long and Lil Dog
Signman
Jablatt

Room for about 12 more on the bus .
Email me if interested

9- 11- 01 Always Remember- Never Forget

Benzee

Bill M
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/11 18:28:09 (permalink)
Benzee,

thanks for your quick response. the check will be in the mail tomorrow (tuesday). It is for two seats.

Add us to the list!

Bill and Linda
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/11 22:17:35 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Bill m I put you down on the list

Jablatt , received your check today , Thanks

Benzee
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/12 20:03:03 (permalink)
Hi all,
My wife and I can't wait to join you all on the tour, just one quick question. Whats the address and or website of the galloping hill inn for directions purposes. also is there on site parking or will we have to find a nearby lot or street?

Thanks so much

Dave Puro
long dog
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/12 21:20:16 (permalink)
Galloping Hill
325 Chestnut St
Union NJ

There is plenty of parking in the rear.

It's at what's called Five Corners.

Galloping Hill Rd
Chestnut St
Salem Rd
Walton Ave
Delaware Ave......all converge there
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/13 00:26:47 (permalink)
Dave ,

Long Dog gave you the address . It is only a few minutes off the Garden state Parkway . Exit #138 if I'm correct .
Long Dog are you with us ?

We have a few more interested .

Benzee
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2006/09/13 18:02:55 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Anyone else interested that have not paid yet can pay at the bus on Sat.
After today there is no guarantee that the postal service will deliver in time for the Tour ( sorry John )

Let em know if interested and I will put you down on the list .
We are hovering in the 40 to 45 range at this moment .

Benzee
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 43 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1