1960's Tomato Pie

Author
triviagirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Joined: 2007/07/30 18:09:00
  • Location: brick, NJ
  • Status: offline
2007/07/30 18:40:58 (permalink)

1960's Tomato Pie

Here's what I am looking for but can't seem to find....it's the pizza's I remember from around 1964-1970. There used to be a a person named Mary who made the tomato pies at a few different places in the late 60's. Twin Cities on Westfield Ave, Elizabeth, DanJohns on Edgar Road, Elizabeth, and Kozas in Rahway. There were also similar tasting pies at VanBuren's Tavern, Elizabeth and Villa Roma near the Bayway Circle. If anyone remembers what I am talking about I would sure love seeing your post. I have been searching for that same taste for nearly 40 years! Anyone who remembers those great old Elizabeth pies of the 60's....please come forward! Thanks!
#1

10 Replies Related Threads

    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2973
    • Joined: 2004/05/26 23:44:00
    • Location: Mountain Top, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: 1960's Tomato Pie 2007/07/30 18:49:17 (permalink)
    And this would be, where?


    Tom
    #2
    triviagirl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    • Joined: 2007/07/30 18:09:00
    • Location: brick, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: 1960's Tomato Pie 2007/07/30 18:56:24 (permalink)
    1060's Tomato Pies......that would be Elizabeth, New Jersey!
    Hope you can give me good news! Thanks!
    #3
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 167
    • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
    • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: 1960's Tomato Pie 2007/07/30 19:37:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by triviagirl

    Here's what I am looking for but can't seem to find....it's the pizza's I remember from around 1964-1970. There used to be a a person named Mary who made the tomato pies at a few different places in the late 60's. Twin Cities on Westfield Ave, Elizabeth, DanJohns on Edgar Road, Elizabeth, and Kozas in Rahway. There were also similar tasting pies at VanBuren's Tavern, Elizabeth and Villa Roma near the Bayway Circle. If anyone remembers what I am talking about I would sure love seeing your post. I have been searching for that same taste for nearly 40 years! Anyone who remembers those great old Elizabeth pies of the 60's....please come forward! Thanks!



    http://www.lafamigliasorrento.com/
    #4
    triviagirl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    • Joined: 2007/07/30 18:09:00
    • Location: brick, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: 1960's Tomato Pie 2007/07/30 20:20:33 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip! I will certainly check it out! Do you remember Elizabeth in the 60's?

    #5
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 167
    • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
    • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: 1960's Tomato Pie 2007/07/31 18:02:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by triviagirl

    Thanks for the tip! I will certainly check it out! Do you remember Elizabeth in the 60's?




    Nope, wasn't born until '69

    Let me know if you try lafamiglia's tomato pie. I for one am not a fan of tomato pie. But hey....everyone's got their own gig right?
    #6
    triviagirl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    • Joined: 2007/07/30 18:09:00
    • Location: brick, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: 1960's Tomato Pie 2007/08/01 21:11:00 (permalink)
    Thanks Jerzeydawg....I was thinking that nowadays the reference to 'tomato pie' is what bakeries and deli type places are selling at room temperature and I don't think that they have cheese, just tomato sauce....but the '60's reference' to tomato pie is really pizza but a truly special taste that is unique to the pizzas of the 60's era. I think that I may have misled by using the phrase 'tomato pie'! Anyway I am sorry you missed the experience and at the rate I am going I don't think I am likely to ever find that great taste again!

    #7
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: 1960's Tomato Pie 2007/08/01 21:17:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by triviagirl

    Thanks Jerzeydawg....I was thinking that nowadays the reference to 'tomato pie' is what bakeries and deli type places are selling at room temperature and I don't think that they have cheese, just tomato sauce....but the '60's reference' to tomato pie is really pizza but a truly special taste that is unique to the pizzas of the 60's era. I think that I may have misled by using the phrase 'tomato pie'! Anyway I am sorry you missed the experience and at the rate I am going I don't think I am likely to ever find that great taste again!



    Growing up in New Haven every apizza was called a tomato pie.
    #8
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    • Joined: 2006/08/20 14:24:00
    • Location: mansfield, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: 1960's Tomato Pie 2007/08/02 01:15:19 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if this what you are referring to, but,tomato pie is still sold in the Utica N.Y. area as a thick pizza crust like Sicilian with tomato sauce and grated cheese, served at room temperature. It's so popular there that you can get it at convenience stores baked at local Italian bakeries. See wikipedia for a reference.
    #9
    eatingteam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    • Joined: 2007/07/07 20:21:00
    • Location: Warminster, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: 1960's Tomato Pie 2007/08/11 20:13:04 (permalink)
    There are two places in Chambersburg, NJ (Trenton's Italian section)that still claim to sell tomatoe pie. Papa's and Delorenzo's. Papa's c;aims to be the second oldest pizza place in America only to Lombardi's. Delorenzo's has a couple locations down there. The team ate both and thought that Papa's was the better of the two...

    Tony
    #10
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1588
    • Joined: 2004/02/04 20:13:00
    • Location: scotch plains, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: 1960's Tomato Pie 2007/08/16 20:06:34 (permalink)
    Believe it or not Santillo's pizza in Elizabeth actually names it's pizza styles by the year they were popular! They've been there forever and I'll bet you'll find exactly what you're looking for in the 1960s Pie!

    They are at 639 South Broad Street. Take out only, you have to walk down the alleyway and enter thru the side door.

    --Ken

    PS: I lived in Eliz during the late 80's/early 90's. Van Buren Tavern was a classic old bar. I don't think they were making pizza during that timeframe, or at least I don't recall seeing any. They closed several years ago.
    #11
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1