1965 Grumman Food Truck Build

Author
Rockit Rudy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2013/09/23 15:59:26 (permalink)

1965 Grumman Food Truck Build

Hello All!

I've been working on converting a 1965 Grumman step van into a food truck. So far my insulation and paneling is done and up next is my FRP. I will be posting pictures as soon as I hit my post requirements. I'm doing all the work myself with the occasional help from a friend or two.

Hope you all take interest as I have been reading lots of threads here and will most definitely reach out for advise.

17 Replies Related Threads

Pacmob
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/09/23 17:50:41 (permalink)
    As I have been telling everyone else, go look us up on facebook at Pacmob Kitchens. Note the lowercase m in mob, you are looking for the business page located in Bremerton WA.

Can scalp some cool ideas and advice just checking out our continual picture updates as we take them during all stages of the build process.

Hope it helps!
    hpx
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/09/25 13:10:21 (permalink)
    Rockit Rudy

Hello All!

I've been working on converting a 1965 Grumman step van into a food truck. So far my insulation and paneling is done and up next is my FRP. I will be posting pictures as soon as I hit my post requirements. I'm doing all the work myself with the occasional help from a friend or two.

Hope you all take interest as I have been reading lots of threads here and will most definitely reach out for advise.

What are going to be selling? Are you going to be selling in Orlando? Was there this past Saturday. TRUCKS EVERYWHERE! would love to see some pictures of your 65. I have a 79 that I have been building for a couple years now. It is always 99% done. Never finished.
    Rockit Rudy
    Junior Burger
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/09/25 20:22:20 (permalink)
    Pacmob

As I have been telling everyone else, go look us up on facebook at Pacmob Kitchens. Note the lowercase m in mob, you are looking for the business page located in Bremerton WA.

Can scalp some cool ideas and advice just checking out our continual picture updates as we take them during all stages of the build process.

Hope it helps!

Ill def take a look! Reeses thread has been super helpful. Thanks for the tip, always down for cool ideas.
    Kristenstewart
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/09/26 06:52:56 (permalink)
    Truck are very useful for putting stalls in roadside for selling eatables... I'm waiting for your pics to be uploaded
    Pacmob
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/10/03 00:11:23 (permalink)
    Depends what you used for your sub wall.

We do not use any of that gloppy crap they sell as FRP adhesive, it is a annoying waste of money that takes to much time and makes a mess everywhere.

We use 3M Heavy duty spray adhesive to set out panels, then about 16 FRP Thermoplastic pop rivets to hold it in place. More efficient, less glop.

As far as undermounting a tank, the easiest anyone can do it solution is to buy like 4 ratchet straps and strap the thing down. We weld in custom armored boxes for ours to make sure no road debris can damage them.
    Rockit Rudy
    Junior Burger
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/10/16 18:22:58 (permalink)
    Hi all!

I was finally able to find time to start installing the FRP walls...I was able to get 4 of them done as I need to re-cut the others.
    I've uploaded the pictures to the link below:

dropbox.com/sh/x87gkfys1lfrjwb/LxhvPybXDr?n=184719848

I have also added a pics of what a plan to use as a grey water tank. I plan to finish the walls, set the vinyl flooring and start with plumbing...

So much to do but everything is so exiting!

-Rudy

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2043
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/10/16 21:10:07 (permalink)
    BelCibo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/11/30 23:57:59 (permalink)
    Rockit Rudy

I messed up! I didn't install any beams behind the panels, or the right insulation. Basically i gotta take it all out and restart. Glad i found out before anything else went in... Oh well, at least ill be able to correct it and do a couple of things differently. Ill be able to save the panels with frp.

Also... Previous owner drilled a ****on of holes to the exterior of the box... Whats the best way to patch all of them up? Rivets?

Any Thoughts on running the wiring behind the wall or exposed? My original plan was to run the conduit on top of the frp so inspectors could see everything with ease...

I patched mine with new rivets.  Graphics guys won;t like it, will probably charge you a little more.

Ran electrical in the wall.  Nice and clean but I think it took way longer than running them on the outside.  I did not have to be electrically inspected, that could be an issued too.  You may not have a choice on which way to run it.
    RichardFla
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/12/01 00:23:51 (permalink)
    I bond FRP to 1/4 plywood with contact cement,1 gal 4 panels.
    Never really had to add extra supports,just move some around and reattach with cap screws and nuts,they give a cleaner look then rivets.

I have some 1" alum supports if you need them,Z shaped,one leg gets bolted to the body then about 3" left for mounting the panels.

Inspectors do not say anything about how you run the electric. Their main concern is the food safety aspect,proper temps etc.
    Rockit Rudy
    Junior Burger
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/12/01 00:23:54 (permalink)
    BelCibo

I patched mine with new rivets.  Graphics guys won;t like it, will probably charge you a little more.

Ran electrical in the wall.  Nice and clean but I think it took way longer than running them on the outside.  I did not have to be electrically inspected, that could be an issued too.  You may not have a choice on which way to run it.

I saw your pics, its actually the reason im conflicted... Lol.. Nice work!

Im taking the panels down early in the morning and ill go from there, i do have sound proofing  that i don't expect to have to take down...
    Rockit Rudy
    Junior Burger
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/12/01 15:36:25 (permalink)

Hey in looking at aluminum channels, Is 2x2x1/8 the way to go or will 1x1x1/8 do the job just fine?

Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/12/01 16:47:05 (permalink)
    Rockit Rudy
    Also... Previous owner drilled a ****on of holes to the exterior of the box... Whats the best way to patch all of them up? Rivets?

Has anyone tried other methods besides putting a whole bunch of rivets into the side of the truck? My truck has a whole bunch of holes in it, some for carriage bolts, so they might even be too big for a wide flange pop rivet.
       Perhaps aluminum tape on the inside with Bondo or JB-Weld on the outside, then sanded flat and painted. Another thing I've seen suggested is to push a little bit of nylon window screen into the Bondo from the inside so it has something to grab into and will be less likely to pop out.
       I have seen someone suggest 3M 5200 marine adhesive, but it looks like you can't paint that all that well (and I'm painting my truck, not wrapping it).
       I've also seen some people suggest brazing, but I haven't seen anyone who has actually done it.
    post edited by Midnights - 2013/12/01 16:48:55
    RichardFla
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/12/01 16:54:07 (permalink)
    I am assuming that you are talking about the vertical supports,I have never seen any trucks without but the 65 may be different.
    Most are 1 3/4 but if you have none personally I would go with the 1x1 and skip the insulation,use the air gap as a buffer.
    But you still need to attach the beams to the body so you need to have some kind of flange for that,if you for instance glue the beams they will pull away in the future as the truck expands and contracts.
    Not sure if Toms truck parts are still in Bithlo but you can go there and remove supports from a newer truck and cut to fit yours,drill the rivets out then pop them away from the body then use the 3/16 x 3/4 cap bolts and nuts to put in your truck. It takes about 5 min per post. another option.
    Rockit Rudy
    Junior Burger
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/12/01 21:53:47 (permalink)
    RichardFla

I am assuming that you are talking about the vertical supports,I have never seen any trucks without but the 65 may be different.
    Most are 1 3/4 but if you have none personally I would go with the 1x1 and skip the insulation,use the air gap as a buffer.
    But you still need to attach the beams to the body so you need to have some kind of flange for that,if you for instance glue the beams they will pull away in the future as the truck expands and contracts.
    Not sure if Toms truck parts are still in Bithlo but you can go there and remove supports from a newer truck and cut to fit yours,drill the rivets out then pop them away from the body then use the 3/16 x 3/4 cap bolts and nuts to put in your truck. It takes about 5 min per post. another option.

The previous owner stripped the whole back... I see the holes where he had the supports. I think im gonna do the 1 x 1... You think i should skip insulation? All around?

I would attach them using rivets every 12" (make good use of those holes!) nut and bolts would work too... Ill check out Tom's this week, thanks for the suggestion. Ill also need to make the frame for the window while im at it.
    BelCibo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/12/01 22:20:40 (permalink)
    We did 2" channel so I had plenty of room to screw the plywood without cracking the edges.  With 1" you only get 1/2" per sheet to screw in.  Something to think about.
    Rockit Rudy
    Junior Burger
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/12/11 12:54:44 (permalink)
    Ok i took down one side (was able to keep the panels and frp intact) ill be installing 1x1x1/8 6063 aluminium channels every 3ft and securing them with rivets every 12inches.

With the 1inch gap should i skip insulation like Richard commented above or if not what would you guys recommend?

Thanks!
    Rudy
    appchef
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:1965 Grumman Food Truck Build 2013/12/11 15:29:53 (permalink)
    Nice! What's the chassis on that thing?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1