The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 15 of 32, messages 421 to 450 of 948
reese77

• Total Posts: 508
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 03/5/12 1:46 PM (permalink)
<message edited by reese77 on Tue, 03/6/12 8:59 AM>

DWags541

• Total Posts: 174
    Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 03/5/12 6:43 PM (permalink)
    reese77

I was trying to vent my LP tankless water heater today since my 1/2" pex tubing and supplies arrived and I am finding out that I should have kept my small electric tankless heater. I went to LP so that I would not use too much power on the truck and I could go with a smaller generator but I am realizing that I could just put a standard 120V wall switch on the tankless heater and only turn it on as needed just like the water pump. I put my old electric water heater on Ebay and it sold like hot cakes.

Now since I cannot vent my LP tankless w/o being right above the exterior serving counter or moving and routing the plumbing all over the truck, I am going to put this heater on Ebay and buy another electric tankless. Also, I would think that a lot of propane is waster having the LP tankless heater on all day or at least the pilot light on all day.

I should have thought this move through longer.

I have been thinking about this as well. I have used both electric and instant propane water heaters on carts. You think electric is the most efficient way to heat water that you will only be using occasionally. I would think the electric would tax your system significantly to keep it up to temp, even with insulated tank.
    Do you think your ventilation demands for an instant propane unit would be that great?

One idea that comes to mind is a system used on a lot of hot dog carts. Running a copper line from your pump into the chamber of your food warmer (assuming its propane). But the positioning of your equipment might complicate this plan.

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 03/5/12 7:42 PM (permalink)
      <message edited by reese77 on Tue, 03/6/12 8:59 AM>

Vic Cardenas

• Total Posts: 177
        Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 03/5/12 8:17 PM (permalink)
        Have you thought about venting through the floor to direct the exhaust away from the service side?

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 03/5/12 8:20 PM (permalink)
          Vic Cardenas

Have you thought about venting through the floor to direct the exhaust away from the service side?

The vent must not be curved down as air would not flow properly (per the instruction manual).

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 03/5/12 10:01 PM (permalink)
            reese77
            I am going to put this heater on Ebay and buy another electric tankless. Also, I would think that a lot of propane is waster having the LP tankless heater on all day or at least the pilot light on all day.

I have dealt with tankless hot water heaters since they first hit this country and they do not have a pilot. They are electronic. They usually use two C cell batteries to fire the propane after the water starts to move. And the batteries last for almost a year.

marco226

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 03/5/12 11:00 PM (permalink)
              DR. you like the propane as opposed to electric.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 03/5/12 11:15 PM (permalink)
                Yes big time. There is no comparison. The instant on propane heaters aren't running all the time trying to keep water hot, no pilot light, will heat water to the point it steams, and I'm not even going to vent my unit in the step van. First hot water heater isn't running all day and we have the exhaust fan running almost all the time pulling a complete air change once every 3 minutes. And if your busy you don't have time to wash anything. So at the end of the day you fill 3 sinks and wash everything. I think some people forget you don't carry a ton of water on board and they are under the impression you just wash dishes off and on all day, but that's not the case with us. We wipe down everything, pots, pans, and serving utensils, with paper towels after we are done using them, so you don't get a bunch of junk in the sink or going into the waste water tank, and stack it until time to clean up.
                <message edited by Dr of BBQ on Mon, 03/5/12 11:21 PM>

DWags541

• Total Posts: 174
                  Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Tue, 03/6/12 10:59 PM (permalink)
                  I agree with this view (Dr. of BBQ).

rollingwitburgers

• Total Posts: 11
                    Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 03/9/12 4:17 PM (permalink)
                    Iam in the process of installing my tabletop propane 36in griddle for my food truck does anyone have any ideas on the best way to mount it so it wont flip over?

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 03/9/12 5:14 PM (permalink)
                      rollingwitburgers

Iam in the process of installing my tabletop propane 36in griddle for my food truck does anyone have any ideas on the best way to mount it so it wont flip over?

Very Carefully. LMAO.
                      Seriously not sure anyone can answer that unless they had pictures and or the brand name, and model number. But usually you can drill through a counter top and replace the legs with bolts from the bottom up. Or build a tube frame for it to sit in and bolt that onto what ever you sitting it on. But how ever you mount it is should be in a manor that will allow it to be moved for cleaning.
                      jack

marco226

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 03/9/12 5:16 PM (permalink)
                        the DR. is in. lol

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                          Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 03/9/12 5:46 PM (permalink)
                          Yes hes in but he is pissed off! The downtown restaurants 6 or 8 of them got together and talked the city into stopping the vendors from vending during and after the St Pats day parade, in downtown Springfield. And I have done that event for the last several years. I talked to one of the restaurant owners from downtown and he said"Well we can't just let you swoop in and take all our profit". You know me well enough to figure out what I said "!# %$@*^% and &^@!!!**#@!^$$$. and then I hung up. This is such crap the restaurants and bars are so crowded you can't get into them so everyone drinks in the street.

marco226

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 03/9/12 5:58 PM (permalink)
                            what sucks is that you were not at that meeting. they should have at least let you have a say. those bastards!!!

marco226

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Wed, 03/14/12 12:40 PM (permalink)
                              i am just started reseaching for my water tanks. looking at your waste tank.
                              that is what i want to do. how many gallons and the dementions of your waste tank.
                              where did you get it. thanks

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Wed, 03/14/12 1:03 PM (permalink)
                                Hey!
                                Its www.randpcarriages.com

What was wrong with this answer you got on the other thread? Your waste tank doesn't have to be exactly 15% bigger than your fresh tank it can be 20% or 30% bigger. Is that your concern? A lot of people on this site have bought from them and I have never heard any complaints.
                                jack

marco226

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Wed, 03/14/12 1:51 PM (permalink)
                                  i have no issue with the link you gave me.
                                  they have a 30gallon tank for me.
                                  i called to see if they have a 45gallon tank to go along with the 30gallon.
                                  an they said the largest tank they have was 42 gallon. i asked if they could get me one and they just said we only have a42gl.
                                  mabye i talked to the wrong person.
                                  so now i am seaching for a 45gallon waste tank. the pricing on the 30gl is great.

PurpleCheetah

• Total Posts: 151
                                    Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Wed, 03/14/12 2:31 PM (permalink)
                                    This place has a 40"x20"x12" cost is 236.00 for a 48 gallon, price may not be right but size is good.

http://www.plastic-mart.com/category.aspx?cat=33

PurpleCheetah

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Wed, 03/14/12 2:32 PM (permalink)
                                      They also have a 46 Gallon for 183.00

kingofcreams

• Total Posts: 111
                                        Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Wed, 03/14/12 3:30 PM (permalink)
                                        Just my 2 cents ;) , your waste tank only need to be 34.5 gallons to accomodate your fresh water tank. I got a 30 gallon rv style "black tank" on ebay to go with my 25 gallon fresh water tank.
                                        marco226

i have no issue with the link you gave me.
                                        they have a 30gallon tank for me.
                                        i called to see if they have a 45gallon tank to go along with the 30gallon.
                                        an they said the largest tank they have was 42 gallon. i asked if they could get me one and they just said we only have a42gl.
                                        mabye i talked to the wrong person.
                                        so now i am seaching for a 45gallon waste tank. the pricing on the 30gl is great.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Wed, 03/14/12 4:23 PM (permalink)
                                          First I have never bought a tank that had the gallons marked on it. And I have never seen a Health Department employee give any grey or fresh water tank any more than a fast look. We have the same 15 extra waste rule here and I'm ruining a 20 gallon and a 30 gallon tank. We fill our fresh water tank once a day and I have never had my waste tank get  anywhere close to full. I'd go with the two you talked about.Your trucks job is to sell food not wash dishes. LMAO. Really they don't have to be 15% bigger. Just as long as one looks bigger than the other. You'll be fine.
                                          No one from the HD is going to know anymore than what you tell them. They are certainly not going to measure your tanks.
                                          <message edited by Dr of BBQ on Wed, 03/14/12 4:26 PM>

marco226

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Wed, 03/14/12 5:17 PM (permalink)
                                            thanks so much for all the helpfull information.

BTM676

• Total Posts: 202
                                              Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Wed, 03/14/12 9:20 PM (permalink)
                                              Dr of BBQ

Yes big time. There is no comparison. The instant on propane heaters aren't running all the time trying to keep water hot, no pilot light, will heat water to the point it steams, and I'm not even going to vent my unit in the step van. First hot water heater isn't running all day and we have the exhaust fan running almost all the time pulling a complete air change once every 3 minutes. And if your busy you don't have time to wash anything. So at the end of the day you fill 3 sinks and wash everything. I think some people forget you don't carry a ton of water on board and they are under the impression you just wash dishes off and on all day, but that's not the case with us. We wipe down everything, pots, pans, and serving utensils, with paper towels after we are done using them, so you don't get a bunch of junk in the sink or going into the waste water tank, and stack it until time to clean up.

Hey Doc,
                                              Do you have more info about where you are going to mount your propane on demand hot water system. 

kingofcreams

• Total Posts: 111
                                                Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 03/15/12 10:51 AM (permalink)
                                                True that 
                                                Dr of BBQ

First I have never bought a tank that had the gallons marked on it. And I have never seen a Health Department employee give any grey or fresh water tank any more than a fast look. We have the same 15 extra waste rule here and I'm ruining a 20 gallon and a 30 gallon tank. We fill our fresh water tank once a day and I have never had my waste tank get  anywhere close to full. I'd go with the two you talked about.Your trucks job is to sell food not wash dishes. LMAO. Really they don't have to be 15% bigger. Just as long as one looks bigger than the other. You'll be fine.
                                                No one from the HD is going to know anymore than what you tell them. They are certainly not going to measure your tanks.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                                  Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 03/15/12 12:28 PM (permalink)
                                                  BTM676
                                                  Hey Doc,
                                                  Do you have more info about where you are going to mount your propane on demand hot water system. 

It is so funny you would ask that because I have had that on my mind for the last two or three days. Here is what I think is important about the location. Make it easily assessable including the water lines both in and out. If I decide to vent mine which I doubt I will it will be a straight 90 out the side of the truck. At this time I'm planing on mounting it right above my 3 hole sink on one end or the other.  I'm using stainless steel lines for my water supply in, out, and propane gas line from this guy.
                                                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1...ksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

PS I think first time builders over think the build and worrying about the exhaust from an instant on water heater going out the side of a truck and the relationship to customers is a good example of that over thinking. Just my though on that topic. It's like Marco and others thinking the HD is going to closely measure water tank size. It will never happen. They are concerned that you have enough of a waste tank to except your clean water and not run over on the floor or slosh out. Again just my thought and no disrespect meant to Marco or anyone else here.

marco226

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 03/15/12 12:53 PM (permalink)
                                                    THE DR IS IN.
                                                    funny you should say that. after our back and forth about water tanks.
                                                    i was just thinking to myself. reaseach and reasearch and then more before moving forward.
                                                    mabye i am just over thinking everything. being my first build it is a bit of a challange.

Dr of BBQ

• Location: Springfield, IL
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 03/15/12 1:15 PM (permalink)
                                                      Well a lot of research is ok in fact good. But I was thinking about over building more than anything like instead of using 1/2 inch plywood on walls somebody here was going to use 3/4 inch plywood and then FRP over that. And that's just crazy. Extra $$$, extra weight, and a lot more work. You on the other hand do research and you pay attention to what others are doing in their build right and wrong. If your truck looks professional without any clutter it'll pass in a heartbeat. I had a gig 30 miles away this last summer and a gal from the local HD spent 1 hour looking for something, anything wrong. I finally told her I needed to get to work and she said "I just can't find anything wrong". I loved it.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
                                                        • Location: Near You, WA
                                                        Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 03/15/12 1:18 PM (permalink)
                                                        My trailer has been licensed in three different counties and two.

States. The HD has only asked the sizes of my tanks.

Dr of BBQ

• Location: Springfield, IL
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 03/15/12 1:22 PM (permalink)
                                                          Same here Chef

PurpleCheetah

• Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                            Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 03/15/12 3:02 PM (permalink)
                                                            Dr of BBQ

BTM676
                                                            Hey Doc,

PS I think first time builders over think the build

I can say that I do over think a lot (I do with with everything) being my first build is so stressful not knowing what can happen if my walls are to thick, to thin if floor is strong enough to hold, etc. Dr o b and Chef you guys have done this for many years and you have a plethora of knowledge and experience with this that a lot of first time builders don't.....I have no clue how much my walls are going to flex and bend when I'm driving and hitting corners and stops how much water I'm going to use, a good point you made when you said " your trucks job is to sell food not wash dishes" and I got to thinking humm makes since why do I need 30 gallons of fresh water unless I plan on refilling and dumping weekly, so now I think my 30/42 is to much on tanks but I have them now and don't really want to deal with the hassle of selling the 42 and buying a 25. I have never built anything ( so I have people to help me with things I think I need help with) so I think a lot of my over thinking is credited to not knowing exactly what to do on certain things and how the HD will look at things......I just don't want to screw up

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 15 of 32, messages 421 to 450 of 948

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 4 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com