The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 19 of 32, messages 541 to 570 of 948
Rollin Smoke

• Total Posts: 48
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 08/24/12 2:30 PM (permalink)
Im going to do as much LP as possible because my on board smoker from "cookshack" is 1000W by itself!!
These finished trucks im looking at have vents but no fire suppression and the evidently pass inspection.
Is a three compartment sink mandatory and a hand sink?

Rollin Smoke

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 08/24/12 2:30 PM (permalink)
    Im going to do as much LP as possible because my on board smoker from "cookshack" is 1000W by itself!!
    These finished trucks im looking at have vents but no fire suppression and the evidently pass inspection.

marco226

• Total Posts: 177
      Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 08/24/12 3:48 PM (permalink)
      YEA i saw that one. my gerator box is not wide enough for that or any rv generator. i have the lengh and the hight the width. i have 21 inches front to back.
      all the larger generators are 22.3 or better. i think i will have to do what MOFOOD did in his truck. put my 3 bay sink on top of the existing box and put the water tanks in side the box.

reese77

• Total Posts: 508
        Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 08/24/12 4:35 PM (permalink)
        Rollin Smoke

3 compartment sink and separate hand sink....mandatory pretty much everywhere.

Rollin Smoke

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 08/24/12 4:57 PM (permalink)
          What about fire suppression?

marco226

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 08/24/12 5:00 PM (permalink)
            Rollin Smoke

you have to ask your local heath department or your fire masrshal.
            every state and counties are differant.

sharkii's

• Total Posts: 70
              Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 08/24/12 10:52 PM (permalink)
              The best tip I have gotten is to become friends. With the health inspector and fire marshal. They can answer most of your questions and if they are not sure they will guide you in the right direction at least in what I have experienced.

BTM676

• Total Posts: 202
                Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sat, 08/25/12 1:03 AM (permalink)
                marco226

Rollin Smoke

you have to ask your local heath department or your fire masrshal.
                every state and counties are differant.

HAHA I still waiting/want to know who our fire marshal is. lol

Rollin Smoke

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sat, 08/25/12 10:01 AM (permalink)
                  I found a local guy selling a '95 P30 that needs a head gasket, but has a new tranny and wheel barings. He wants 2,500 for it. Is that a good price?

BTM676

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sat, 08/25/12 10:08 AM (permalink)
                    I dont think thats a bad price at all. i payed 1800 for mine. Most trucks are selling in the 4 range. Just make sure there is no other engine damage/needs.

Rollin Smoke

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sat, 08/25/12 10:09 AM (permalink)
                      oops..forgot i cant post a link yet.
                      could someone look at this and give me some input.
                      its on CL in raleigh NC
                      cars and trucks
                      search "commercial" and its white with red stripes
                      posted Aug. 23rd for $2500
                      Thanks guys
                      Ryan

marco226

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sat, 08/25/12 10:15 AM (permalink)
                        hey Mike i did speak to the fire Marshal in honesdale a couple months agp.
                        he had no idea i do not think you need one in pa. we have to ask our freind at the HD.

Rollin Smoke

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sat, 08/25/12 10:57 AM (permalink)
                          just found out that P30 needs a starter and a battery along with the head gasket just to be cranked. So i think im going to pass.

BTM676

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sat, 08/25/12 10:38 PM (permalink)
                            marco226

hey Mike i did speak to the fire Marshal in honesdale a couple months agp.
                            he had no idea i do not think you need one in pa. we have to ask our freind at the HD.

Hey marco! Yeah there is to much gray area about food trucks up here for them to care/know anything about. Lucky Us!!!! Just the HD and Insurance companies are what we have to go by.

hrthomas

• Total Posts: 2
                              Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sat, 08/25/12 10:54 PM (permalink)
                              I am selling my project truck or willing to trade to a decent full size pick up...

When I got the P30, head gaskets were blown, so I had the heads redone. Almost have it all back together..

Rear slide up door needs work. I was going to take it out and install swinging doors.

Asking 3000.00

If you would like pics, let me know. Hrthomas775@gmail.com

Ryan

kougs8

• Total Posts: 4
                                Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sat, 08/25/12 11:16 PM (permalink)
                                What a great thread!!!
                                I am trying to replicate reese77's window awning configuration.
                                I can't find thin aluminum channel like what it seems he has used for framing the cut out window hole on the actual truck wall.
                                The metal wharehouse stores only have pretty thick walled channel.....and I also checked Rona and home depot as well as I tried to google it!!
                                anybody, have any hot tips???

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sun, 08/26/12 10:11 AM (permalink)
                                  kougs8

What a great thread!!!
                                  I am trying to replicate reese77's window awning configuration.
                                  I can't find thin aluminum channel like what it seems he has used for framing the cut out window hole on the actual truck wall.
                                  The metal wharehouse stores only have pretty thick walled channel.....and I also checked Rona and home depot as well as I tried to google it!!
                                  anybody, have any hot tips???

I ordered from orangealuminum.com

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sun, 08/26/12 3:54 PM (permalink)
                                    Added lower access door for future battery bank. Need to build metal frame/box to house the batteries and inverter.

Installed final exhaust fan and tested. Still need to frame the outside of the exhaust fans.

OurCoffeeTruck

• Total Posts: 53
                                      Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 08/30/12 12:49 AM (permalink)
                                      reese,   your thread is awesome!!! and slightly discouraging LOL. We just started building (demoing and repairing mechanical stuff mostly) our own coffee truck and it has been so exciting reading through your thread. There is so much valuable stuff in here! The discouraging thing is, I already felt behind schedule and want to be open by the fall.   Not sure how feasible that is going to be. I think it's going to take a little more time than i thought. lol

I probably will find info about my question somewhere on the forums, but in thinking about my power needs I thought about batteries and inverters being good idea. I don't know much at all about electrical, but I really want to learn. before i found this forum i was thinking about the idea, but now that i found others talking about the same thing i'm pumped. Is there a website or some really good, helpful info about generators/batteries/inverters that would help me in my power decision making? Thank you so much

<message edited by OurCoffeeTruck on Thu, 08/30/12 12:54 AM>

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 08/30/12 1:59 AM (permalink)
                                        OurCoffeeTruck.

Glad you like the thread, do not get discouraged. It can be done before the fall (in my opinion) as long as you have the time to devote to it.

In regards to inverters/batteries, I am still learning myself. From my thread you can read that I was initially using a generator but due to the noise, I am now leaning toward batteries and an inverter. I will likely get my inverter from theinverterstore.com. I sent an email to their tech support, which is actually at aimscorp.net, since the inverter store is just a reseller. I explained what I was trying to do and the rep said to call him. I will call tomorrow and post what he suggest.

OurCoffeeTruck

• Total Posts: 53
                                          Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 08/30/12 2:19 AM (permalink)
                                          Definitely post! Will be looking forward to it.

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 08/30/12 5:48 AM (permalink)
                                            Great Pics and it's obvious your making headway, good for you.
                                            Where did you get your door?
                                            jack

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 08/30/12 7:24 AM (permalink)
                                              reese77
                                                I sent an email to their tech support, which is actually at aimscorp.net, since the inverter store is just a reseller. I explained what I was trying to do and the rep said to call him. I will call tomorrow and post what he suggest.

Reese, maybe you could suggest to the tech support guy that they write a how to and post it online? I know it would have to be somewhat generic, but if RF is any indication the need is there and it would be a big help to many others.

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 08/30/12 10:46 AM (permalink)
                                                Dr of BBQ

Great Pics and it's obvious your making headway, good for you.
                                                Where did you get your door?
                                                jack

door

Rollin Smoke

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 08/30/12 11:26 AM (permalink)
                                                  Is that access going to be big enough? Will the batteries be on a sliding rack that pulls out?

staffgill

• Total Posts: 9
                                                    Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 08/30/12 12:40 PM (permalink)
                                                    New to the forum, but have enjoyed reading and seeing your progress reese77.  You've done some great work and given me some ideas, especially for the awning.  I'm in the research stage at the moment, but have a truck picked out, 1979 Chevy P30, with 14 feet cargo space behind the driver's compartment.  I've already downloaded, read and re-read the HD regulations, and made contact with the county and city HD's.  My biggest question at the moment, for anyone, how are you handling the Commissary requirement?  I'm in a small town and the closest full-up running commercial kitchens, setup to serve as commissaries, are in Birmingham, about an hour away.  Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas, would be appreciated.  The HD said I should befriend a local restaurant and ask them to sign the agreement.

Other questions, regarding your build:

1.  Are you installing an "Air door/Air curtain" above the awning opening?  Everything I've read seems to require either a screen or an air curtain to abate flies and insects, and even if not required, the opening allows the cool air out, and the air curtain keeps it in.  Like you, I prefer the opening rather than a window, but hate the idea of more electric draw with the air curtain.  I do plan to use your awning design, even if I decide to put in a window, but I plan to make it at least twice the size of the window to provide more shade and cover for customers.  Do you see any drawback there?

2.  Following the thread, you installed a fan-tastic powered roof vent, plus the two hood exhaust fans, and the A/C unit.  Is this a HD requirement?  I know the hood exhaust is, but it seems like the A/C would refresh/rotate the air, and the fan-tastic roof vent would remove all the cool air.  Are they working against each other?

3.  How did you paint your truck?  You did a nice job, and from the pictures, it looked like a professional job.  Did you use a commercial sprayer?

On a final note, I'm diggin your thread man...good read and so informative.

Dr of BBQ

• Location: Springfield, IL
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 08/30/12 1:54 PM (permalink)
                                                      The HD said I should befriend a local restaurant and ask them to sign the agreement.

That's neat that they would go along with a local restaurant and all they really want is a signature. Your very lucky. There isn't any one on RF that wouldn't jump on that.
                                                      jack

reese77

• Location: Stockbridge, GA
                                                        Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 08/30/12 2:50 PM (permalink)
                                                        Rollin Smoke

Is that access going to be big enough? Will the batteries be on a sliding rack that pulls out?

The compartment will be 4' long and about 1.5' deep. The opening is plenty big and I have  a second door that I will be installing right next to this one. So there will be 2 doors to access the batteries. The height of the compartment is about 17", plenty of space for everything.

reese77

• Location: Stockbridge, GA
                                                          Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 08/30/12 3:08 PM (permalink)
                                                          staffgill,

1. I am will be installing a retractable awning on the serving side of the truck for added shade and rain coverage. I will be building a plexi glass window for inside the awning and the center glass will slide up and down.

2. The A/C and hood vent could work against each other but I need both as Atlanta can get hot and humid. I will not have the fantastic vent open if AC is on. The AC will likely not be used unless it is really hot, most of the time I will have the fantastic vent open for extra light and air flow.

3. I had a body work guy come out and paint onsite. He owns a paint shop but used a special paint that dried quick so he could do it onsite. Cost me $800 or so, can't remember.

Glad you like the thread.

staffgill

• Total Posts: 9
                                                            • Location: Clanton, AL
                                                            Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 08/30/12 3:17 PM (permalink)
                                                            Dr of BBQ

The HD said I should befriend a local restaurant and ask them to sign the agreement.

That's neat that they would go along with a local restaurant and all they really want is a signature. Your very lucky. There isn't any one on RF that wouldn't jump on that.
                                                            jack

It's not that easy Dr of BBQ.  For one, put yourself in the restaurant owner's shoes.  Someone, a stranger, approaches him/her and asks them to sign an agreement stating that the food trucker can park the truck overnight at the location, make use of the restaurant's three stage sink and mop sink, cold and dry storage equipment, fresh water supply, waste disposal, etc.  If I was a restaurant owner, I probably wouldn't sign it, unless I got enough money to make it worth my wild.  So how do I get a commissary without paying an arm-and-a-leg?  Without a commissary secured, at least a verbal agreement, it's senseless for me to press forward with a truck build.  One of the other forums suggested I contact the local VFW, since many have kitchens.  The HD only requires that a commissary be a currently licensed/permitted commercial kitchen.  The VFW hasn't answered the phone yet and I'm not even sure they have a kitchen.  Just wish I could find an easy answer...anyone???

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 19 of 32, messages 541 to 570 of 948

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com