The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 27 of 32, messages 781 to 810 of 948
reese77

• Total Posts: 508
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sun, 10/21/12 8:43 PM (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

Reese your a good man and a hard worker your going to make it and because of your hard work we can all learn. And thank you for that.  I doubt that I'll go battery type system but from day one I have been rooting for your success.

Thank you.

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sun, 10/21/12 8:48 PM (permalink)
    I cut the second opening for the second vent door and I cut the bottom support in an attempt to get the battery bay under the truck. After several failed attempts, I found a good spot under the truck to use my floor jack and I lifted it just enough to slide the battery bay underneath. By this time is was late so I did not get around to mounting it but I should be able to do that tomorrow.

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 10/22/12 11:22 AM (permalink)
      I sent an email to the owner of the "Genie Truck" (Mac & Cheese food truck) as they use a battery bank instead of generator. I thought I would post their reply to my question regarding their power needs.

"hey maurice,

we have 3 3000watt peak inverters that can steadily run 2000 watts. we have 3 deep cycle marine batteries set in series all of which is connected to the vehicles alternator. we normally run the truck for events as it is much quieter than most generators, so, it is constantly charging the batterys. with out the vehicle on, the battery life can vary wildly depending on how hot it is outside and in, due to the refridgerator kicking on and off. we have a second refridgeration unit as well and when we use that also the engines alternator doesnt quite have enough output for both fridges and lights ect. something to consider depending on your power usage/ layout. you can buy higher performance alternators or set several in line in the engine compartment though obviously all of this adds cost to your build. hope this helps! 
      Adam  - master genie"

ForksFoodTruck

• Total Posts: 1
        Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 10/22/12 12:09 PM (permalink)
        Reese I have some questions for you on your plumbing set up. Please let me know the best way to contact you?

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 10/22/12 12:21 PM (permalink)
          ForksFoodTruck

Reese I have some questions for you on your plumbing set up. Please let me know the best way to contact you?

Post here, IM me or email eat@sammichlab.com

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 10/22/12 4:09 PM (permalink)
            Ansul installed. Cost a bit more than expected due to other needed equipment.

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 10/22/12 6:32 PM (permalink)
              I had to run the pull station all the way to my door, geez. By the way if the little glass rod that holds in the trigger on your pull station breaks, don't panic it takes about 6 or 8 inches of pull to get the system to fire. My glass broke on a rough ride and I panicked, called my guy and he said put some tape on it no big deal. LOL

Your system looks great.
              <message edited by Dr of BBQ on Mon, 10/22/12 6:33 PM>

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 10/22/12 6:39 PM (permalink)

Dr of BBQ

I had to run the pull station all the way to my door, geez. By the way if the little glass rod that holds in the trigger on your pull station breaks, don't panic it takes about 6 or 8 inches of pull to get the system to fire. My glass broke on a rough ride and I panicked, called my guy and he said put some tape on it no big deal. LOL

Your system looks great.

Thanks for the tip. The guy wanted to install it on a different wall but it would have been in the way of my refrigerator so he said it is fine where it is and will pass inspection.

King3

• Total Posts: 12
                  Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 10/22/12 7:19 PM (permalink)
                  ForksFoodTruck

Please post all your questions here, I want to learn too. Thank you!

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 10/22/12 11:17 PM (permalink)
                    King 3 your right it's a forum not a love note. LMAO We are all wanting to learn from each other not trade secrete messages back and forth. Besides who has the time during the day to answer every question that comes from 30 or 40 different people?
                    Come on it is a forum for everyone.

<message edited by Dr of BBQ on Tue, 10/23/12 8:49 AM>

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 10/22/12 11:22 PM (permalink)
                      reese77
                      we have 3 3000watt peak inverters that can steadily run 2000 watts. we have 3 deep cycle marine batteries set in series all of which is connected to the vehicles alternator. we normally run the truck for events as it is much quieter than most generators, so, it is constantly charging the batterys. with out the vehicle on, the battery life can vary wildly depending on how hot it is outside and in, due to the refridgerator kicking on and off. we have a second refridgeration unit as well and when we use that also the engines alternator doesnt quite have enough output for both fridges and lights ect. something to consider depending on your power usage/ layout. you can buy higher performance alternators or set several in line in the engine compartment though obviously all of this adds cost to your build. hope this helps! 
                      Adam  - master genie"

That was pretty interesting. And I hate to ask but is he saying this is an unproven science?
                      Jack

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Tue, 10/23/12 12:45 AM (permalink)
                        Dr of BBQ

That was pretty interesting. And I hate to ask but is he saying this is an unproven science?
                        Jack

I guess he was trying to relay that his setup does not meet all of his electrical needs w/o the engine running but it works for him. He chose this method as to not deal with the generator noise. My system is a bit more robust but I will definitely be hooking my bank up to the alternator now.

THE WILD DOG

• Total Posts: 1465
                          Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Tue, 10/23/12 11:00 PM (permalink)
                          you better be prepared to get a REALLY BIG Alternator. I had a 220amp alt and when it blew, they wanted 800 to rebuild it. I just bought a new regular one an saved myself 400. That alt was almost as big as my head.  

Buck & Vi's

• Total Posts: 822
                            • Location: dodging,snakes,spiders,roaches, armadillos.opposso
                            Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Wed, 10/24/12 6:58 PM (permalink)
                            Dr of BBQ

Your system looks great.

.. mine has a red line runs thru the thing to hold it on sorta looks like weed eater string..well i noticed it getting weaker and weaker finally i see it was pulled out but your right its about 6- 8 " before it pulls anything, i put a small skewer thru it. big enough to go thru but still small enough to be able to pull the handle if need be.
                            thats right

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Wed, 10/24/12 7:09 PM (permalink)
                              THE WILD DOG

you better be prepared to get a REALLY BIG Alternator. I had a 220amp alt and when it blew, they wanted 800 to rebuild it. I just bought a new regular one an saved myself 400. That alt was almost as big as my head.  

Good to know. Thanks.

Revel

• Total Posts: 22
                                Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sat, 11/10/12 11:03 PM (permalink)
                                reese77 I just purchased a 92' P30...I've really enjoyed reading your posts

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sun, 11/11/12 12:00 PM (permalink)
                                  Farjoe

reese77 I just purchased a 92' P30...I've really enjoyed reading your posts

Glad you are enjoying my thread. Can't wait to see pictures of your build.

King3

• Total Posts: 12
                                    Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 12/24/12 11:42 AM (permalink)
                                    Reese Merry Christmas to you and everyone else here from Colombia. Hope you soon contiunes with your project and keep sharing us your photos that have been very useful. Happy holidays to all!

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 12/24/12 8:11 PM (permalink)
                                      King3

Reese Merry Christmas to you and everyone else here from Colombia. Hope you soon contiunes with your project and keep sharing us your photos that have been very useful. Happy holidays to all!

Thanks and Merry XMas to you. I will take new pics of what I completed tomorrow morning and post. It has been raining here a lot and I have been in and out of town but I did get all of my interior taken care of except customizing the cabin area. However I have an issue with my 12V power supply. I have it mounted on a aluminum wall and I think it is not properly grounded or something because I was under the truck drilling and I felt a pinch when my skin touched the metal, I thought it was just a splinter of aluminum sticking in my skin but as soon as I held the screw to guide it and drilled it into the aluminum frame, I got a nice shock. I unplugged the power supply and no more shock.

chasendad

• Total Posts: 95
                                        Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Tue, 12/25/12 5:43 PM (permalink)
                                        Reese -have you already ordered your wrap? I own a graphics company and may be able to help with printing..

THE WILD DOG

• Total Posts: 1465
                                          Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 12/27/12 3:29 PM (permalink)
                                          post a link for your company so we can see ya stuff Chasendad

chasendad

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 12/27/12 9:24 PM (permalink)
                                            Really don't have pictures on my website. You can check out-
                                             PCD Wraps & Graphics on facebook
                                             My son does the graphics and install and I print them..

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 12/27/12 9:56 PM (permalink)
                                              chasendad

Reese -have you already ordered your wrap? I own a graphics company and may be able to help with printing..

I have one quote from a local company for 3K. I already have the finished graphics. I had a new artist work up a new wrap as I did not like my old one and it was a big waste of money. I am waiting on quotes from two other companies. I just need the printing and install.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                                Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 12/27/12 11:05 PM (permalink)
                                                chasendad
                                                Really don't have pictures on my website. You can check out-
                                                PCD Wraps & Graphics on facebook  My son does the graphics and install and I print them..

Looked at the race car pretty cool. And please don't take this the wrong way but before I'd do a wrap which I think is so very very important I'd ask?

Can you take a picture of my truck and then superimpose the design so I can see it on the truck before the order is placed?

How do I know what colors are attractive to hungry customers or might make likely customers hungry?

Has anyone done a study or studies looking at what colors the major chains are using since they have the big money to make sure their buildings both inside and out are attractive to possible customers?

Are there colors that I should avoid? May be a complete turn off to a large percentage of possible customers?

Is it possible thru the use of design and colors to appeal to a certain age/demographic group?

How long will a wrap look like it dose the day I pick up my truck? I'm thinking brightness in general

Do some colors fade or change faster than others?

I know what my food is worth, and I charge accordingly,  (and I'm higher price wise than my competition)  what is the difference between  top of the line and the fast food level of wrap companies? I guess what I'm asking is: why is it important to not just take the lowest bid?

Just some things that I'd want to know before I spent my money

thanks 
                                                jack

PS I have noticed (no study or research) that magazines, spend a lot of time designing their covers in fact I'd bet Chile (the magazine) spends more time designing the cover than anything else in the issue. LOL I'm serious. I have subscribed to the magazine off and on for years and the covers are killer good looking. Always bright, terrific color, great contrast, and to me they look exciting (food wise). I have laid out three years of their rag and instantly picked out one that I thought would make a great design for a food truck. Is that maybe a good way to go?   
                                                <message edited by Dr of BBQ on Thu, 12/27/12 11:37 PM>

chasendad

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 12/28/12 7:33 AM (permalink)
                                                  Looked at the race car pretty cool. And please don't take this the wrong way but before I'd do a wrap which I think is so very very important I'd ask?
                                                  Jack I'll try to answer your questions..

Can you take a picture of my truck and then superimpose the design so I can see it on the truck before the order is placed?

yes we normally take a photo and do an outline on it and clip the art into is so the design can be layed out as to miss obstructions.

How do I know what colors are attractive to hungry customers or might make likely customers hungry?
                                                  this I don't have an answer for but a google search should find some good answers

Has anyone done a study or studies looking at what colors the major chains are using since they have the big money to make sure their buildings both inside and out are attractive to possible customers?
                                                  see above answer 

Are there colors that I should avoid? May be a complete turn off to a large percentage of possible customers?

Is it possible thru the use of design and colors to appeal to a certain age/demographic group?

How long will a wrap look like it dose the day I pick up my truck? I'm thinking brightness in general
                                                    4-7 years, the thing about a wrap which we tell everyone up front and have them sign that we told them. It's not paint and it will shrink some and edges may come loose, it will have seams in it. Most wraps look good frome15 ft away but when you get close to them you can see all the imperfections. Personally I paint all my trucks and place large decals on them. That way if I want to sell it(which I've done twice) I can sell on the quality of the paint job.

Do some colors fade or change faster than others?

Color fade shouldn't happen if allowed to out gas and if it has a good lamination on it.

I know what my food is worth, and I charge accordingly,  (and I'm higher price wise than my competition)  what is the difference between  top of the line and the fast food level of wrap companies? I guess what I'm asking is: why is it important to not just take the lowest bid?
                                                  Just like the food business you can always find someone that is willing to sell it cheaper. When I started printing and went to school on wrap installation the going price was $12-15 per sq foot. They've whored the market up so bad that guys are doing it for $6-7 a sq ft now and I refuse to do it at those prices. If you have a probmlem with installing a piece or 2 you could lose money in a hurry.

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 12/28/12 4:13 PM (permalink)
                                                    Had to remove one cabinet door to rebuild, it did no open smoothly.

Ice bin fro drinks.

Exterior speaker and camera installed.

HDPE cover for sink.

reese77

• Location: Stockbridge, GA
                                                      Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 12/28/12 4:23 PM (permalink)
                                                      12V dist block with fuses and 12V power supply that I have to remount as it is somehow causing voltage to go through the frame of the truck.

Dr of BBQ

• Location: Springfield, IL
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 12/28/12 4:31 PM (permalink)
                                                        Looks very professional. Good job.
                                                        jack

BTM676

• Total Posts: 202
                                                          • Location: Newfoundland, PA
                                                          Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 12/31/12 1:00 AM (permalink)
                                                          Hey reese, where did you get the s/s shelves that are over the sink?

reese77

• Location: Stockbridge, GA
                                                            Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 12/31/12 8:34 AM (permalink)
                                                            Thanks Dr.

BTM, I purchased on Ebay. These shelves are supposed to be mounted with the support on the bottom but I mounted upside down so I could have a lip to keep items on the shelf.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 27 of 32, messages 781 to 810 of 948

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com