The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 9 of 32, messages 241 to 270 of 948
blackrooster

• Total Posts: 2
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Fri, 09/16/11 11:50 AM (permalink)
i'm trying to figure out what i need for my truck. but yes definitly love this thread it helps me with ideas and how to's. great job

americanwiener

• Total Posts: 5
    Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sat, 09/17/11 6:31 PM (permalink)
    Reese, I looked at the duramax generator you posted earlier,it had good reviews for a chinese made,Ive hearf that generacs are made in China as well, but who knows. The duramax has free shipping and the 50 amp plug,one of the only ones with the 50 amp. My brother in law is an electrician and  i beleive he said it equals out to around 44 to 46 amp, plenty to run 1 plug to your breaker and run everything, there are plenty of generac 7500 with electric start,for around 1000 dollars even walmart has them, they dont have the reduced idle, or the 50 amp plug.I just looked at 3 new trucks from food cart usa, they run generac 7500 propane , cant even here them run,its plenty of power for their big trucks, but they cost around 2500 to 3000. Myself Im aiming for the duramax,there are various places selling them at the same cost, so far it looks like the best deal, remember used equipment "you live by the junkyard, You die by the junyard".

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sat, 09/17/11 8:15 PM (permalink)
      americanwiener
      Reese, I looked at the duramax generator you posted earlier,it had good reviews for a chinese made,Ive hearf that generacs are made in China as wellkyard, You die by the junyard".

That's BS http://www.generac.com/Portables/Portable_FAQs/
      The engines used on the Generac XP and XG Series of portables are manufactured at our Generac Power Systems, Inc. factory in Whitewater, WI. Generac engines are industrial grade engines designed to provide the ultra-quiet, longer-lasting performance required of portable generators. Generac OHVI┬« industrial engines run three to five times longer than SV/OHV lawnmower style engines. They also run 30-50 degrees cooler, are 5% more fuel-efficient and reduce oil consumption by 25%.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sat, 09/17/11 10:51 PM (permalink)
        Generac is manufactured in WI not in China.

I have used their portable here at home and on occaision on a catering job for the basic electric needs.

I am on the board of directors of a camp and we have a commercial grade gene for our back up.  It has never let us down.

When working for my local 911 center the back up gene is also a generac and 15 seconds after the power is out, we are back up and rebooting everything.

nwcw2001

• Total Posts: 35
          Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sun, 09/18/11 12:16 AM (permalink)
          Yeah Generac is about the best Generator out there bar none!

americanwiener

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sun, 09/18/11 6:22 AM (permalink)
            Go to grainger industrial supply, they list many generac generators, country of origin on some of the portables is China, some of the larger units is in fact the USA, Grainger has no reason to be deceptive, I used to belive in Santa Claus, until I found out the truth.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
              Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sun, 09/18/11 11:44 AM (permalink)
              Why would a business use a non commercial (for temporary home use) generator? Your livelihood depends on having power.  Or are you planning to just buy a cheap one and replace it every 6 months or sooner? That's not a good move my friend.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1955
                Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sun, 09/18/11 12:12 PM (permalink)
                All you guys that are shopping generators, and have never heard it run. do you know how many db's the model puts out your looking at?
                Have you ever worked your cart/trailer for a day listening to a generator? These industrial types are going to be so loud that you will have to place them 100' away.
                I have a Honda, sits at the tongue of the trailer, 5' from the service window, you don't have to talk over it, you know it's there, but it's quiet....58db's
                It's bullet proof, keep the oil changed. The one I have now I got in '03..
                Used nothing but Honda's when I worked for a movie caterer, why? Because they are quiet and reliable. Ran them for 16-18 hrs a day.      
                Yes you will pay more for a Honda, but well worth the investment.
                Just my .02 worth.

THE WILD DOG

• Total Posts: 1465
                  Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sun, 09/18/11 8:51 PM (permalink)
                  some of us don't have $5000 for a honda generator. Mine is 72db and it's not that loud. I know someone that has one on a food truck, it's kinda loud but it's also closer to her window on the rear bumper, mine is going to be on the front bumper and I'm building a box for it as well. my service window is towards the rear of the truck and if it's in the front bumper, it will be less of a headache for all of us.

thoughts on a gen box ?

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 09/19/11 4:29 PM (permalink)
                    Wild Dog weren't you going to post some pictures of the interior vs exterior walls?

Jack

reese77

• Total Posts: 508
                      Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 09/19/11 6:11 PM (permalink)
                      New custom 12v switches.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 09/19/11 8:52 PM (permalink)
                        americanwiener

Go to grainger industrial supply, they list many generac generators, country of origin on some of the portables is China, some of the larger units is in fact the USA, Grainger has no reason to be deceptive, I used to belive in Santa Claus, until I found out the truth.

This is the FAQ page from Generac

http://www.generac.com/Portables/Portable_FAQs/

#1 question WHERE IS THE ENGINE MADE??  WISCONSIN!

nwcw2001

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 09/19/11 10:26 PM (permalink)
                          reese77

New custom 12v switches.

SEXY!!!

rollingwitburgers

• Total Posts: 11
                            Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Tue, 09/20/11 9:35 PM (permalink)
                            can anyone lend help for this one : Im a little confused on my rear door situation of my food truck i want to leave it as it is and never open it but the probality of me needed to move equipment out is likley so if i were to add a door would i just fremove the whole rear door setup frame out and install door or cut through the rollup door and add a doorvI'm  not really sure............ and second i have been searching all over he internet for a step van rear door and all i can find is parts not actual door.

thanks,
                            chris

nwcw2001

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Tue, 09/20/11 9:46 PM (permalink)
                              Hey Chris,

I think it all depends on how you set up your kitchen. If you put the hot side opposite of the serving window you can just close and lock the back door and put your triple sink on that back wall. Because that gives you a quick removal item on the back of the deck so if you have to "remodel" you can. If you put up aluminum sheeting on the back just mount it in strips aligned with the roller doors, so then they will roll up and down with no issues. I am thinking about putting up on solid sheet of aluminum on the back and putting my hot line on the back wall. That way if I need to remodel, I could still do so, grated it would be a bit more difficult.

John

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Tue, 09/20/11 9:56 PM (permalink)
                                rollingwitburgers

can anyone lend help for this one : Im a little confused on my rear door situation of my food truck i want to leave it as it is and never open it but the probality of me needed to move equipment out is likley so if i were to add a door would i just fremove the whole rear door setup frame out and install door or cut through the rollup door and add a doorvI'm  not really sure............ and second i have been searching all over he internet for a step van rear door and all i can find is parts not actual door.

thanks,
                                chris

There are many options but it is like nwcw said, how are you planning to layout your kitchen?

rollingwitburgers

• Total Posts: 11
                                  Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Tue, 09/20/11 10:17 PM (permalink)
                                  reese I want to put the hot side oppisite of the concession window and plumbing and sink to the left of concession window im worried ibout if i have to remove large items second I m concerned about the roll up door being in the way of the vent hood . what do you think?

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Tue, 09/20/11 11:12 PM (permalink)
                                    rollingwitburgers

reese I want to put the hot side oppisite of the concession window and plumbing and sink to the left of concession window im worried ibout if i have to remove large items second I m concerned about the roll up door being in the way of the vent hood . what do you think?

I would either:

1. Remove the roll up doors and fabricate a double door where you have 2 sides that swing open.

2. You can leave the top portion of the roll up door and cover with aluminum, FRP, etc. and cut out the bottom half of the door maybe 3 feet high and fabricate a door for the opening, where the door opens up like your opening an access panel. This is how the big boy food trucks are. They have an emergency exit under the grill on the back wall. The opening would be high and wide enough to slide in/out equipment and you would not have to worry about the roll up hitting the exhaust.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1955
                                      Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Tue, 09/20/11 11:28 PM (permalink)
                                      How wide is the man door? How long is the cargo area?
                                      The roll up is going to take up 5-6 feet of ceiling space when open.
                                      Everyone seems concerned about moving and removing equipment and needing the rear doors to do this.
                                      I worked with many trucks that had appliances changed out, the only access was through the passenger side door.
                                      These were on Grumman p-30 wide body trucks, don't know if there is any difference in the door sizes.
                                      My trailer has a 36" door, everything was brought in through there..... 2, two door fridges, 36" stove, 8' hood.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Wed, 09/21/11 9:00 AM (permalink)
                                        nwcw2001
                                        Hey Chris, I think it all depends on how you set up your kitchen. If you put the hot side opposite of the serving window you can just close and lock the back door and put your triple sink on that back wall. Because that gives you a quick removal item on the back of the deck so if you have to "remodel" you can.
                                        John

If you have to move a sink aren't you going to have to remove your fresh water and waste water tanks which would also require plumbing connections be cut and then rebuilt?

Has anyone thought about air flow from what ever source (service window or open door) to the exhaust hood?
                                        If the exhaust hood were on the rear drivers side wall and the service window were on the opposite wall you'd have a direct flow from one to the other, and I'm not saying that is good or bad.

But if all the equipment were in the same position as above and the passenger side front door was opened you'd end up sucking cold air through the entire truck. I think the air flow to the exhaust hood thing needs to be carefully thought out.

And ChefBuba you are correct on the roll up type door taking up overhead room with the springs and tracks, but if the passenger side front door is used to load and unload equipment you have the motor housing and what ever is directly behind the drivers seat to conted with right?

And one more question why in the world are some installing a wall with another door to contend with between the rear compartment and the drivers area? Is that a HD requirement?
                                        Jack

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Wed, 09/21/11 9:13 AM (permalink)
                                          Dr of BBQ

And one more question why in the world are some installing a wall with another door to contend with between the rear compartment and the drivers area? Is that a HD requirement?
                                          Jack

Yes, based on what I've read in the rule for GA, the kitchen area has to be sealed from the cabin entry, bugs, etc. including serving window which is why I have to install a sliding screen.
                                          <message edited by reese77 on Wed, 09/21/11 9:14 AM>

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Wed, 09/21/11 9:17 AM (permalink)
                                            I would suggest  you get a clarification from your local HD, to make sure your interpretation is correct. And if you already have done so wow that sucks. Taking up more room and making the interior even more cramped, and blocking the light that would normally come in through the windshield. If I have to do that I'm looking for a some kind of sliding screen. I think I can talk my health department into something other than a door and wall.

In fact that rule makes no sense what so ever. What would you have to do to a trailer entrance door?
                                            <message edited by Dr of BBQ on Wed, 09/21/11 9:25 AM>

Tallatldad

• Total Posts: 2
                                              Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sun, 09/25/11 7:40 PM (permalink)
                                              Hello Guys.... Been reading this blog for a while now and have found it  helpful.... Just bought my truck last week and I will be starting the build out in the next few weeks.... Trying to build a BBQ truck here in Atlanta... Have a 1995 Chevy with an 18' box.... Will post a few pitchers and write a few post as I build... Will also be asking every one for there advice also....LOL

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                                Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sun, 09/25/11 8:12 PM (permalink)
                                                Tallatldad

Hello Guys.... Been reading this blog for a while now and have found it  helpful.... Just bought my truck last week and I will be starting the build out in the next few weeks.... Trying to build a BBQ truck here in Atlanta... Have a 1995 Chevy with an 18' box.... Will post a few pitchers and write a few post as I build... Will also be asking every one for there advice also....LOL

Welcome to RF. When you take your pictures if you don't have enough post to post them yourself shoot me a note and I'll post them for you. There are a couple of other good threads on trucks and trailer builds here on RF that you may want to do a search and read. RF has some pretty knowledgeable, and very professional  people and they are more than willing to help.
                                                Good luck on you new adventure.

Jack

BackAlleyBurger

• Total Posts: 1077
                                                  Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sun, 09/25/11 9:39 PM (permalink)
                                                  welcome man !
                                                  glad to have you here, as doc said, shoot him some pics so we can get you a thread started!...i just love new projects :)

nwcw2001

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Sun, 09/25/11 11:57 PM (permalink)
                                                    Dr of BBQ

If you have to move a sink aren't you going to have to remove your fresh water and waste water tanks which would also require plumbing connections be cut and then rebuilt?

Well I think if you were to build it with the idea of moving it, you could make quick disconnects on the Fresh water lines and the grey water lines are easy enough to disconnect. I'd also put the tanks below deck in this kind of set up.

John

reese77

• Location: Stockbridge, GA
                                                      Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Mon, 09/26/11 10:04 AM (permalink)
                                                      Freshly painted and ready for a wrap. Still trying to get that rusty bumper off. I have to cut the bolt off, I cannot get the last bolt to budge at all. I removed all the old tail and signal lights and purchased new LED lights, I'm replacing the license plate box and lights as well. Will snap more pics this afternoon on lunch break.

<message edited by reese77 on Tue, 09/27/11 9:17 AM>

piccolachef

• Location: Indianapolis, IN
                                                        Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 10/13/11 7:16 PM (permalink)
                                                        Hi guys I've been reading this forum for awhile trying to get ideas for my 1993 Chevy P30. It is a work in progress. I'm not as handy as you guys are but I'm doing my best with the free help I get. What do you all think about this sink? oops forgot I can't put in a link yet. Ebay search 
                                                        Portable Concession 4 "3" compartment sink

Thanks for any feed back

<message edited by piccolachef on Thu, 10/13/11 7:19 PM>

piccolachef

• Location: Indianapolis, IN
                                                          Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 10/13/11 7:20 PM (permalink)
                                                          Does anyone know how to convert a rollup door to a swing door?

reese77

• Location: Stockbridge, GA
                                                            Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build Thu, 10/13/11 9:32 PM (permalink)
                                                            piccolachef

Hi guys I've been reading this forum for awhile trying to get ideas for my 1993 Chevy P30. It is a work in progress. I'm not as handy as you guys are but I'm doing my best with the free help I get. What do you all think about this sink? oops forgot I can't put in a link yet. Ebay search 
                                                            Portable Concession 4 "3" compartment sink

Thanks for any feed back

Do you have picture of your project? Post them on Flickr.com.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 9 of 32, messages 241 to 270 of 948

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com