1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 12
Author
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/19 11:42:21 (permalink)
Sounds good, Paul. I'm thinking that we could easily hit Bill's, Bobbie's, Foster's, Hay's, Joyner's, My Three Sons & Scott's with no problem at all. For times sake, I would suggest we go out Interstate (I-40) and come back via Hwy 100. We would take I-40 to the Camden/Parsons exit and travel over to Hwy 100 at Decaturville. That's about 30 miles from Henderson. We would come to Foster's in Reagan first. From there it's about 15 miles to Jack's Creek where Bobbie's (a must stop) and Joyner's are. Side Note: When I was a kid, the location where Joyner's is now was called Crowe & Sons. They were open pit wood burners and in my folks opinion, made the best 'cue. But we haven't used them in a long time, since ownership changed and they went to the eletric smoker. Another 10 miles or so would put us at My Three Son'sin Henderson. From there it's just a couple of miles to Bill's. Then I would suggest heading over to Lexington (I know a back way so we wouldn't be retracing any steps) about 25 miles. There we would hit Scott's (which I have heard great things about, bthough I have not been) and Hay's. Head back toward Nashville on Hwy 100 or jump back on the interstate if you prefer. We could do the Loveless, Beacon Light, Papa KayJoes and Carl's Perfect Pig (a place in Dickson I have heard great things about) on a different day, if you wish or work them in on the same day, if you are game...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/19 11:52:32 (permalink)
Pogo, Poverty and JimInKY:

What ever week-end we do this, I will be coming to Nashville on Friday. I suggest we meet for Dinner where you all suggest and spend the Saturday exploring "cue" Even in small amounts, I can only cram so much in.

I like your agenda and sounds like you know where to go and know the folks. That makes it more interesting. I will bring a colleague and a cooler and perhaps you guys will do the same. Sounds like a BBQ parade.

Did the date in February sound OK.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2295
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/19 17:45:53 (permalink)
Then, if we're still hungry when we get back to Nashville, we can head over to Prince's, and then there's this Mexican place on Nolensville!
I probably can't take off the whole day on Friday, but may be able to leave around lunchtime. I only have one bedroom, but if anyone wants to sleep on my couch, you're welcome.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/19 18:27:36 (permalink)
I will probably stay at the Courtyard someplace.

What ever day you guys choose, I will probably leave around noonish on a Friday.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15214
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/22 10:28:09 (permalink)
OK, we will be back from the trip to SoCal and Oregon by the 16th. Count me in for the 'Que Tour!! Janet will join in also (maybe!!)
Just be sure to post a time and starting point. If we are going to hit some places on Friday we'll be there.. If the chow-tour will kick off on Saturday morning, we can be in the area by 8am." />
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/22 12:50:43 (permalink)
Pogo and Pete,

February 20-21, a date suggested by Sundancer, works for me. Will it work for you gentleman?

I can do any date in February, but would rather avoid the last weekend. We can set a winter storm date after we settle our target date.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18346
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/22 13:01:09 (permalink)
The closest I've ever come to Tennessee barbeque was a chain from Memphis (I believe) called Red Hot and Blue. They opened a place in Columbus, Ohio, but it didn't last long. As I recall, they served it two ways -- dry and wet. I had some of both, and never went back.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/22 13:25:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pogophiles

Sorry guys, I've been offline all weekend. That sounds very doable, though I'm not sure it would take all weekend, if we paced ourselves. The area with the concentration of barbecue joints is about two hours west of Nashville (maybe a bit longer if traveling via Hwy 100). I would thing an agenda could roughly look something like this:

Breakfast at Loveless 8-9
Drive West to Henderson 9-11
Visit Henderson barbecue joints 11-2
Drive to Lexington and hit the ones there 2-4
Drive back toward Nashville stopping in Centerville 4-6
Find Papa KayJoes barbecue 6-7
Beacon Light for Dinner 7-8
Back to Nashville around 9

If we really paced ourselves, we could cover a lot of ground this way...

Gentelmen---I salute you!--now thats a day worth living!!!
Poverty Pete
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/22 18:01:14 (permalink)
It looks like we're on for the weekend of the 21st. Pogo has things pretty well organized for Saturday. What would you like to do about Friday evening? I'm open to suggestions. If you want to stay in the BBQ mode, there is Judge Beans. We can find very good Mexican food. Actually, I think that will be my suggestion, a place called Taqueria La Hacienda. If it weren't so cold outside, you'd swear you were somewhere in Mexico.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/22 18:33:50 (permalink)
Put the two of us on the list for the Saturday Run. we will meet at the first stop !! Give us the time and the location and we'll be there
AL
Poverty Pete
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/22 19:29:43 (permalink)
I think our first stop on Saturday will be Loveless, providing it isn't closed for renovations. If so, perhaps we might start at Pancake Pantry.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/23 09:50:40 (permalink)
If you think the Saturday agenda is too full, we could make it a pure barbecue day (after breakfast) and make the Beacon Light our Friday night stop. After hitting the Chester/Henderson County places, we could hit Papa KayJoes (Centerville) and Carl's Perfect Pig (Dickson) on the way back. If anyone's still hungry Saturday night, there's always hot chicken or Rotiers...
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/23 10:15:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I think our first stop on Saturday will be Loveless, providing it isn't closed for renovations. If so, perhaps we might start at Pancake Pantry.

I phoned The Loveless Cafe again about a week ago and was told they'd be closed by month's end or February 1. Al will try to have breakfast there this Sunday and may learn if the closing date is solid. I suspect The Loveless is out for our barbeque tour, but if they're still open, that's the place to kick off Saturday. The Pancake Pantry seems like a perfect backup choice for the ones having breakfast.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/23 11:31:28 (permalink)
Pancake Pantry is an excellent choice anyway, but we'll definitely need to plan on getting there early (they open at 6AM -- we should probably shoot for no later than 7:30 to avoid the Saturday morning crush crush). Just don't forget to order a side of hash browns...
Poverty Pete
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/23 18:02:58 (permalink)
I couldn't agree more. The earlier, the better, as far as I'm concerned
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/23 19:34:50 (permalink)
Sundancer,
Thank you IMMENSELY for this information! You're making me get hungry, and I haven't but just done eaten awhile ago....
Pitifully, Ort. Carlton in Smoker-Filled Athens, Georgia.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/23 19:48:53 (permalink)
Poverty, Pogo and Jim: I just got back in Knoxville from a intense meeting in Atlanta and I am bushed. I am on for the week end trip in February and I will follow your agendae. Friday night anywhere and Saturday doing the BBQ run. I really look forward to the day and the fellowship involved.

I hate these meetings. I blew my carb count which I was saving for the trip. Oh well, I can stay on my program for the next few weeks.

I cannot wait to meet with the above three plus Al who will be joining us. I talked to JimInKy who advised me how to pace myself to keep from getting overstuffed.

Ort: I thought you might enjoy the web site I posted. I got a e-mail from Fred Sauceman who is on the board of directors for the site. He is an excellent writer as well as yourself.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/24 15:10:13 (permalink)
Well, it is all set and the BBQ fest is on!!!! It will be on 2/20 kick off Friday night at somewhere in Nashville and 2/21/04 will be all day BBQ feasting in southwest Tennessee at the restaurants the website at the beginning of this thread is indicated.

We are sorry that there is a high probability that Ort will not be with us and the group now includes: PovertyPete, Pogophile, JimInKy, Al "The Mayor" and Sundancer7. We will meeting on Friday night at somewhere Poverty and Pogo agrees on for a POA, perhaps a cocktail and dinner if you wish. Al may or may not choose to join this meeting. The following day may start with Breakfast at the choice of Poverty or Pogo but it may be in the best interest of all that we skip this part due to intense BBQ feasting for the remainder of the day. I cannot wait to sample the places that Pogo and Poverty knows best.

I will have my Canon G2 with 4.3 million pixes on hand and which I do not know how to use. Perhaps someone in the group can lend a hand on using and sending pics. I got a 128 megs of memory on this dude which should allow all the fine photos we desire.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Iwanago
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/24 16:49:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

For your BBQ kings, I found a site that I have attached that is 100% totally roadfood quality and it is as rural as you can get. Two people who really liked BBQ were commissioned by the National Pork Foundation to interview real roadfood BBQ places in rural Tennessee. Click on the site and to get the interviews, look on the left hand side of the page. It appears that most do whole hog. Enjoy

http://www.southernfoodways.com/projects/tnbbq/R00_index.shtml
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Hello BBQ fans,

This is my first post on the website. I became interested because I love to go and travel alot. I also enjoy eating out and enjoying good food on the road. In reviewing the current threads, I identified with this one due to an old colleague of mine in the industry, Sundancer7. I remember the old days when we would travel and enjoy eating out on the company. I also remember sharing with you how much I enjoy eating BBQ. BBQ is my favorite and noticing that you and a group are getting together to experience BBQ in TN, I would love to invite myself to attend also. It appears that the dates are in Feb. the 20th and 21st. I am available to travel and would love to catch up on the industry with Sundancer and meet his traveling friends from Road Food.

By the way, I live in Chattanooga and know of a great hole in the wall that sales great BBQ. The Rib Sandwich is my Favorite at "SunSet Inn".

If the trip is already preplanned and no other new members can go along, I do understand, but thought it was a great opportunity to experience a different style of BBQ than ever before. I have never seen an entire hog BBQ. Per the post, it appears that BBQing the entire hog is time consuming and takes alot of planning to aquire the great taste.

Once again, Iwanago, so contact me if so!

By BBQ Fans!

Iwanago!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/24 17:27:05 (permalink)
Iwanago: Welcome to the site. Do you plan on joining the group in Nashville via flight or are you gonna drive. Can't wait to see you again. Get ready to unbuckle your belt and join Poverty, Pogo and JimInKy and Al for some great BBQ

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
b-n-kchefservice
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/27 09:25:58 (permalink)
Does anyone know the spacific difference between st louis style ribs and baby back ribs????? as advertised by Smokey bones.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/01/27 10:08:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by b-n-kchefservice

Does anyone know the spacific difference between st louis style ribs and baby back ribs????? as advertised by Smokey bones.

I'm really not sure. You probably will get a better response if you start a separate thread with an appropriate title to ask this question.
wilewil
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/03 16:27:40 (permalink)
sundancer

Since you are from the Kville area and appreciate BBQ. I have a question for you. What is the best Q in K? I used to like Ott's at Dixie/Lee Jct., but understand it closed. Is this true, and what is good now?
zussers
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/08 19:41:38 (permalink)
Hi! If anyone goes to Johnson City, Tn, Try The Firehouse for BBq! It's not the best in the world, but pretty decent! The restaurant is located in an old firehouse(imagine that) complete with a restored antique firetruck in the lobby! It's located very close to East Tennessee State University. I think there is a Kinkos on the corner. Have a nice day!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/08 21:18:44 (permalink)
We will be leaving the Portland OR area on Tuesday, and be hustling right along, headed for home, via Columbia Gorge, Boise, Twin Falls, SLC, St George UT, Zion N P , Kanab, Page AZ, Monument Valley, Farmington NM, Albuquerque,OK City, Then depending on the weather...either I-44 via St Louis, or I-40/I-65 via Memphis and Nashville to get home by Saturday or Sunday.
Include me on the list for the Saturday (not Friday nite) session. I need to know where to meet you all on saturday morning. As soon as you make that decision please post it.
AL
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/08 21:30:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

The closest I've ever come to Tennessee barbeque was a chain from Memphis (I believe) called Red Hot and Blue. They opened a place in Columbus, Ohio, but it didn't last long. As I recall, they served it two ways -- dry and wet. I had some of both, and never went back.

Red, Hot and Blue got its start as a single restaurant in Northern Virginia, and I think that its story is typical of many chains. It was started by some staffers of a Tennessee congressman or senator (I don't recall who) who missed the barbeque from their home state. They modeled their restaurant on Corky's, a Tennessee-based chain. When they opened (15-20 years ago, if memory serves me correctly), their food was excellent and their barbeque was, I believe, the best in the D.C. area. In an attempt to duplicate that initial success, they open several other outlets in the D.C. area. The food was still good, but as they continued to expand to other areas of the country, the quality of their food, in my opinion, declined significantly. I think that what happened is that, as the people whose vision the restaurant initially was got farther and farther away from its day-today operations and more into running a restaurant empire, the quality of the food suffered. Therefore, the very thing that made them outstanding was lost in the process of expansion. A pity.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/09 04:24:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Include me on the list for the Saturday (not Friday nite) session. I need to know where to meet you all on saturday morning. As soon as you make that decision please post it.
AL

We will certainly get that information to you, Al, and confirm that you are clear about everything. If you saw my Friday email, you know that final planning is underway.

I cannot wait. Not even Ort., with questionable vision, can resist. Incidentally, I suspect Lisa will charter something in Anchorage and arrive in Nashville just in time to join us.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/09 05:18:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rbpalmer

Red, Hot and Blue got its start as a single restaurant in Northern Virginia, and I think that its story is typical of many chains. It was started by some staffers of a Tennessee congressman or senator (I don't recall who) who missed the barbeque from their home state. They modeled their restaurant on Corky's, a Tennessee-based chain. When they opened (15-20 years ago, if memory serves me correctly), their food was excellent and their barbeque was, I believe, the best in the D.C. area. In an attempt to duplicate that initial success, they open several other outlets in the D.C. area. The food was still good, but as they continued to expand to other areas of the country, the quality of their food, in my opinion, declined significantly. I think that what happened is that, as the people whose vision the restaurant initially was got farther and farther away from its day-today operations and more into running a restaurant empire, the quality of the food suffered. Therefore, the very thing that made them outstanding was lost in the process of expansion. A pity.

Thanks, rb, for sharing a bit of history on the RH&B chain. I had no idea about its origins.

Doing bbq research a week or so ago, I noticed Red, White, and Blue had 4 locations still open in North Carolina, 3 of which are in the Ralaigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area. That surprised me.

Corky's opened a location here almost 3 years ago. To date I've eaten at the one in Knoxville twice and the one here once. I didn't like either of them, and felt my ribs came either from a steam table or were heated up. Corky's got a failing grade from me and the people I've been with on all 3 occasions. I really did expect better, which is why I tried them again, and then again. I think the Knoxville store is better than the Lexington one, if that means anything.

Interestingly, Jane and Michael reviewed the Corky's franchise in the Nashville suburb of Brentwood, here on the Web site and gave it a good report. I'd like to know how the Brentwood "hickory cooked" que got its flavor as I've not seen any woodpiles around Corky's I've visited.

I like a variety of bbq sauces, but not Corky's. As bbq sauces are a very individualized matter of taste, what I think of a sauce does not count.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6727
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/09 11:30:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

AL

We will certainly get that information to you, Al, and confirm that you are clear about everything. If you saw my Friday email, you know that final planning is underway.

I cannot wait. Not even Ort., with questionable vision, can resist. Incidentally, I suspect Lisa will charter something in Anchorage and arrive in Nashville just in time to join us.

This is SOOOOOOO tempting to do.......and I have the flyer miles to go for free. I'll talk to the Big Guy tonight and see what he says!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/09 13:58:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy
Interestingly, Jane and Michael reviewed the Corky's franchise in the Nashville suburb of Brentwood, here on the Web site and gave it a good report. I'd like to know how the Brentwood "hickory cooked" que got its flavor as I've not seen any woodpiles around Corky's I've visited.
I can't speak to the Corky's in Knoxville or Lexington, but the one in Brentwood most definitely does have a woodpile. I'm not a big fan of Corky's ribs or pulled pork, but their smoked turkey is quite good.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 12
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1