1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 12
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18954
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/09 14:38:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rbpalmer

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

The closest I've ever come to Tennessee barbeque was a chain from Memphis (I believe) called Red Hot and Blue. They opened a place in Columbus, Ohio, but it didn't last long. As I recall, they served it two ways -- dry and wet. I had some of both, and never went back.

Red, Hot and Blue got its start as a single restaurant in Northern Virginia, and I think that its story is typical of many chains. It was started by some staffers of a Tennessee congressman or senator (I don't recall who) who missed the barbeque from their home state. They modeled their restaurant on Corky's, a Tennessee-based chain. When they opened (15-20 years ago, if memory serves me correctly), their food was excellent and their barbeque was, I believe, the best in the D.C. area. In an attempt to duplicate that initial success, they open several other outlets in the D.C. area. The food was still good, but as they continued to expand to other areas of the country, the quality of their food, in my opinion, declined significantly. I think that what happened is that, as the people whose vision the restaurant initially was got farther and farther away from its day-today operations and more into running a restaurant empire, the quality of the food suffered. Therefore, the very thing that made them outstanding was lost in the process of expansion. A pity.

Thanks for the response. Now I remember reading about how Red Hot and Blue got started.
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2329
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/09 23:10:14 (permalink)
So, we're now at BBQ minus 10. Does anybody know whether we need to make reservations at Monell's for Friday night? If so, for how many? Ort, you're coming? Ileechef? Any other takers? What about transportation on Saturday? My car will carry four comfortably, as long as you like Sinatra and Duke Ellington.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/09 23:52:49 (permalink)
Pete,
I sure hope to join y'all. My car isn't running right - it's in the cruise control or something. I'll have it looked into this week sometime. More as soon as I know what it's gonna cost me....
Hungrily, Ort.
P. S. The music sounds fine. I might bring an oldies tape, if you would like... nothing too extreme, mostly '50's up to mid-'60's.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 01:00:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rbpalmer

Originally posted by Michael HoffmanIt was started by some staffers of a Tennessee congressman or senator (I don't recall who) who missed the barbeque from their home state.
Betch a nickel it was Fats Everett. Sometime when we're on a (ahem) less family-friendly thread I'll tell y'all a story about him that was told me by his former driver, a THP officer.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 01:49:52 (permalink)
West Tennessee Barbecue and Glee Club Alert

Hey Kids, Monell's at 6th Avenue North is southern family-style dining and seating is first come-first serve. Friday dinner is served 5 to 8:30.

There's a lot of information on their Web site, including the menu:
http://www.monellsdining.citysearch.com

Some of us are coming into town and will be there by late afternoon. I guess we need to know a time that suits Pete and Pogophiles? Though I don't really care when we eat, how does 6:00 p.m. sound?

Should there be a considerable wait on Friday nights, we may need to dine when Monell's opens. I'll phone them and learn what I can.

There's an interesting caveat on the dining info page of Monell's Web site: If a chair is occupied, dinner charges are assessed.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 04:59:07 (permalink)
Count the Sundancer in. I will be leaving Knoxvlle around 1:00PM and should be in Nashville by 4:00PM. I will be staying at the Marriott on Cool or Cold Springs Road next to the Galleria Shopping center. The restaurant is fine with me. Anytime is fine with me. I wish I had a van where we all could ride together.

I gotta eat light on Friday night. I cannot fill up if we are fonna do all those BBQ places. Looking forward to it.

It appears now we have at least five hungry folks on board and perhaps six if Ort can get his cruise on cruise.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 10:18:40 (permalink)
I'm not sure that eating "light" AT Monell's is really an option, Sundancer... Would you guys be interested in splitting the cost of a van so that we could ride together on Saturday? I would be willing to rent one and do the driving if you guys are interested...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 10:34:32 (permalink)
I would be more than happy to share all cost associated. As a matter of fact you would be doing us a favor. I think we would enjoy the trip much more that way.

I am not sure what part of Nashville Pogo and Poverty reside, but I will be staying on the southside of town. Perhaps we could start Saturday morning somewhere close to where i am staying.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 11:01:48 (permalink)
I live in La Vergne, to the southeast of the city, just off I-24. Depending on where everyone is staying, we could either meet at one of the hotels to leave cars in one spot, or I could get a listing and swing by to pick people up (assuming we go the van route) if that works better logistically.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 11:13:48 (permalink)
Pogo: I will be staying at the Marriott which is apparently very close to the Galleria. I would consider it a real big service if you picked me up. I do not know what part of the city Poverty resides. JimInKy will be joining us for dinner at Monells. I am not sure where he is staying. Al will be driving down early on Saturday morning. Ort may be coming if he can get his cruise to cruising. Did not hear anything further from lleechef so I guess she ain't gonna be there.

Thanks for the offer. Perhaps you can use my hotel as a meeting place on Saturday morning.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7395
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 12:16:15 (permalink)
Do not rule out lleechef yet! I'm looking at flight schedules and flyer miles......as I type!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 13:00:27 (permalink)
Pogo, Poverty, JimInKy, Ort, Mayor: I just realized that we may have a problem. If lleechef shows up, we will have to behave

Oh well At least we will have a qualified chef as a professional analysis

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 13:07:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Pogo, Poverty, JimInKy, Ort, Mayor: I just realized that we may have a problem. If lleechef shows up, we will have to behave

Oh well At least we will have a qualified chef as a professional analysis

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

That does it! If y'all are gonna behave I'm NOT coming!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 13:14:42 (permalink)
Perhaps we can slightly misbehave.

I looked at the Monells web site and Friday dinner sounds great to me. Doesn't look like the have a watering hole though. Nothing like a small flask .

Friday: Skillet Fried Chicken & Spinach Lasagna (Dinner: Cajun & Fried Catfish w/hushpuppies, Skillet Fried Chicken & Spinach Lasagna)

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 15:03:20 (permalink)
I just returned from lunch at Monell's (purely in the interest of research you understand). Everything at Monell's is served family style in large bowls that get passed around the 12 person tables. When I first sat down, the table contained bowls of cole slaw, cucumber & onions, and pickled beets, plus a large platter of hot biscuits and a bowl of very syrupy peach preserves. The cole slaw was subtly dressed (I detest overly sweet slaw) and had a nice bite to it. I did not try the beets (for which I am not the least bit apologetic) but the cucumber slices & onion were excellent (high proportion of peeled cucumber slices to the occasional small slice of onion). After a few minutes, bowls of hot side dishes began to appear: mashed potatoes (including skins), green beans, broccoli casserole, turnip greens, and (my favorite side dish at Monell's) corn pudding. Lightly sweetened, darkened from the oven and containing flecks of a very tasty smoked bacon, this is a wonderful dish that successfully straddles the line between sweet and savory. Finally the entrees arrived: a huge basket of fried chicken and a small bowl of lasagna. If anything, the fried chicken has improved slightly since the last time I was there. Though I was at the wrong end of the table, I managed to grab the last breast in the basket when the lawyer beside me opted to answer his cell phone instead of paying attention to what he was doing. This breast had a lovely scorch mark on the crust from prolonged contact with the skillet it was fried in. It was exceptional -- as good as any chicken I've had in Nashville with the exception of that from the Beacon Light Tearoom. The lawyer realized the error of his ways and got them to bring more chicken around, but he had to make do for a while with watching me eat mine as there was only dark meat left, which he did not prefer. I helped out with a couple of the legs (which were also quite good) just as a matter of quality control. I passed on the banana pudding (I've never been a fan) but there were raves all around. Instead, I contented myself with a large square biscuit dripping with those excellent syrupy peach preserves. A couple of glasses of sweet (but not excessively so) tea and I was ready to face the afternoon. The nap will probably begin as soon as I finish this post.

According to the hostess, it does get busy on Friday nights (up to an hour wait), but she said we should have no problem if we got there between 5:30 & 6:00. There is a lot of seating out front and they do a good job of getting people in. I say we shoot to arrive between 5:30 and 5:45 on Friday night which should give us plenty of time to get aqcuainted and grab a seat. Because of the family-style seating arrangement, we will probably want to wait until we are all gathered there before we take a seat, as they will pack people in around us otherwise. And Paul is correct, Friday night menu is fried chicken, fried catfish, cajun catfish (which I understand to be blackened and grilled), and spinach lasagna. I'm looking forward to it!!!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 15:07:26 (permalink)
Forgot to mention, lunch was $9.75 (tax included). The Friday night dinner is a couple of bucks more. Yo Bushie! When you come back through Nashville again...
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 15:11:46 (permalink)
I think I'm going to faint...........sounds too good to be true.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 15:17:12 (permalink)
Pogo: that was excellent. Perhaps we should get there even earlier than you suggested. You did nicely on your write up on the chicken. How were the veggies?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 15:19:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

I think I'm going to faint...........sounds too good to be true.

Oh it's twue Shotzy, it's twue!!!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 15:28:45 (permalink)
I'm clicking away furiously on Travelocity and Orbitz and Alaska Airlines.........cannot pass up a foodie weekend like THIS one!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 15:39:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Pogo: that was excellent. Perhaps we should get there even earlier than you suggested. You did nicely on your write up on the chicken. How were the veggies?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Thanks Paul! They open for dinner at 5pm, but I don't think I can get there earlier than 5:30pm. The vegetables were good, but I found them neither objectionable nor remarkable except for the corn pudding. Of course, I live in the meat & three capital of the world, so I have very high standards for vegetable side items. In general, these were not highly seasoned, nor were they cooked to death (not exactly undercooked, but not mushy, either). I suspect you would get a higher hit rate on the vegetables (particularly the green beans) in the summer. I did not note a lot of pork in the vegetables, they seemed to have been done in a fairly straightforward manner. I thought that was just fine, as it allowed me to concentrate on the chicken and the corn pudding.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 16:18:00 (permalink)
Pogo, see if 5:30 would work for Poverty and Jim and perhaps Ort and lleechef. If they are agreeable, that would be fine for me. I am on eastern time so I will be hungry.

I liked your description of the corn. You indicated that the bisquits were hot. I hope they have gravy with the chicken. Did they have any other dessert besides banana pudding. No problem with that as I was just checking. How were the turnip greens.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 16:26:33 (permalink)
Paul, the turnip greens were fine, but by no means a star of the meal. I've had better many times. My approach today was to eat a little of everything (except the beets) and hone in on the good stuff. My only seconds were of chicken and corn pudding. The banana pudding was the only true dessert (though I think a good biscuit with peach preserves works just fine in that regard) at lunch and there was no gravy. I do not know if that will be the case at dinner, though I think it is more likely at dinner than at lunch (note that gravy is specifically listed for their Saturday & Sunday morning breakfasts). Also, no one asked. They may very well have brought gravy if we had asked.

Hey wait a dadgum minute! I thought you were going to be eating light at Monell's due to the imminent gustatory rigors of the following days barbecue quest?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 16:30:23 (permalink)
Pogo: I forgot I said that. If we eat at 5:30-6:00PM, it will be at least 12 hours before we eat again and maybe longer. I gotta have some of that chicken. We will ask for gravy!!

Since it is homestyle, do they allow BYOB?

Corn pudding. I cannot wait

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 16:37:58 (permalink)
I'm thinking probably not on the BYOB, but I can certainly direct us to a watering hole for afterwards, if any are so inclined. After all, you promised lleechef there would be mis-behaving...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 16:45:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pogophiles

I'm thinking probably not on the BYOB, but I can certainly direct us to a watering hole for afterwards, if any are so inclined. After all, you promised lleechef there would be mis-behaving...

I said maybe just a little bit. I can't get too far out. Too old for anything stronger than a little libation.

I think a little after dinner drink would be super!!

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2329
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 18:10:10 (permalink)
I live between Percy Priest dam and the airport. Since I need to go home and shower before dinner, I should probably plan to meet you guys there. 5:30 works for me. If Ileechef flies in at the right time, I could pick her up at the airport easily. As for after dinner drinks, Blackstone is nice. I know Ort would like to check out Dave's brew.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 18:38:33 (permalink)
Poverty: good to see you checked in. I am sure you have read previous post and I am looking forward to visiting with the entire group.

Monells on Friday night at 5:30 is perfect with me.

I would appreciate Pogo and Poverty sorta planning an agendae for Saturday. The more places, the merrier.

So far we got Pogo, Poverty, Mayor, JimInKy and Sundancer. lleechef and Ort are potentials.

I had planned on low caloric intake on Friday night, but due to Pogo's experience, I may overindulge. I like your idea of a after dinner taste.

Hopefully we can get together on Saturday morning at my hotel which is the Marriott at the Galleria. Pogo has very generously offered to pick up a van so we can all ride together if we share the cost. I of course agreed to share in all cost associated. For all to be able to ride together is a major plus.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 18:53:59 (permalink)
I think that The Big Guy is gonna want you all to sign a waiver promising that I WILL RETURN TO ALASKA, cuz by the sounds of it.......the fried chicken, gravy, warm bisquits, corn pudding....he knows that I could easily get kidnapped (against my will of course) and just STAY THERE!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 19:10:54 (permalink)
lleechef: Is you is or is you ain't?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 12
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1