1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 12
Author
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7312
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 19:22:12 (permalink)
Sundancer,

I IS! And if I get kidnapped.....oh well. I could be happy living in Q Land.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 19:30:01 (permalink)
Way to go lleechef. You can be one of the boys. We will not misbehave too badly. Please advise of all of your schedule, ETA, etc.

Glad to have you as part of the party. Hope you will be in Friday in time for Monells that Pogo so eloquently described today. I am sure that you will not want to be a part of the coktails afterwards Just tell your SO that us old folks are harmless

We got to remind you that just because you are female, it does not give you extra privileges on influencing us old folk on the taste of BBQ.

Glad you decided on the trip albeit a long one. If it helps, I am driving three hours.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 19:52:48 (permalink)
Pogo, Poverty, JimInKy, Mayor, Ort: It looks like we have another entry. Lets work the the woman down and show her how real BBQ'ers can consume real whole hog BBQ.

How can we let a celebrated French Chef out do us on such a great southern expediton?

It ain't gonna happen. How can we make this a little compeition?

It needs to be some competition? how do we bet a little bit on this.?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 19:52:59 (permalink)
Meeting south of the city when we're traveling west of the city will not work for me. I'm registering at some place on the west side of the city/county near I 40, so as to be right on our route Saturday morning. I thought all of the out-of-town folks would take lodging downtown or on the west side around the interstate.

I don't wish to backtrack to Cool Spring Road as I'd have 25 to 30 miles through the city before even starting out, and another trip back that evening.

Let's make it easy on everyone and meet near the start of the route, and not 12 miles south of the city. We have big milage that day and only so much time. I was thinking something like the first Waffle House west of the city on I 40 or one of our I 40 motels.

I rather think I don't care so much for the van pooling idea. Some may want to get back to Nashville after so many que visits or at a certain time, and not want to do dinner. Some may want to do dinner at one place, and some another. In such settings, a strong veto or strong will normally prevails over a group desire. So, I'd rather not constrain our freedom to go as far and do as much as any single person may wish for.

I thought about this the other day, and just totally dislike the van pooling idea for myself. I can't do that, when I'm going somewhere to do something that requires a lot of effort and two motel nights.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 20:01:24 (permalink)
Whatever and the Sundancer is easy: Make it easy on yourself. Whereever and whatever, I am there. Please advise of the time and events and I will be there. I do not care where we meet as long as we meet. I will be there. I will meet this group anywhere and you just name the place and time..

Even though I am staying south of the city, it does not matter.

Someone, Pogo and poverty, just say where. and I will be there.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 20:05:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Pogo, Poverty, JimInKy, Mayor, Ort: It looks like we have another entry. Lets work the the woman down and show her how real BBQ'ers can consume real whole hog BBQ.

How can we let a celebrated French Chef out do us on such a great southern expediton?

It ain't gonna happen. How can we make this a little compeition?

It needs to be some competition? how do we bet a little bit on this.?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Guys, GO FOR IT! I'll honor all winners and all bets. Everything and anything!

One year the Steelers were playing the Patriots in a play-off game, BJ Jordan (of Jordan Bros. Seafood fame) and I decided to have a bet. I DECIDED that money wasn't nearly as much fun as some other things..... well, the Steelers lost, I lost and BJ never had it in him to cash in on his winning bet. " />" /> Chicken! But I sure had fun teasing him, as did his brother and his workers!
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2320
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 20:09:44 (permalink)
Pogo,
How's about meeting for lunch this Saturday to discuss an intinerary? You said a while back you hadn't yet been to Judge Bean's.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 20:12:55 (permalink)
I ain't gonna go there.

This most southern guy will settle for a just neat competative deal of just finding great southern BBQ.

This is gonna be fun. Lotsa fun.

I am sincerely looking forward to this!!!!!

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 21:09:35 (permalink)
Gentlemen,

Line up the Q, get the bibs out and let's DIG IN!

Yes, this is gonna be fun and I too am looking forward to the occasion!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 21:49:27 (permalink)
Clothier, I'll email you the details and spare our BBQ friends.........
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 22:16:34 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
I'm still optimistic of making it. If Lleechef is coming, I will promise to be on my best behaviour (British spelling intentional).
Can anyone Nashvillean suggest a mom-and-pop motel anywhere handy to where we will be rendezvousing? Just like with restaurants, I really prefer those to the chains - whenever it is at all possible and/or practical.
Cueing Up, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 22:18:09 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
I'm still optimistic of making it. If Lleechef is coming, I will promise to be on my best behaviour (British spelling intentional).
Can anyone Nashvillean suggest a mom-and-pop motel anywhere handy to where we will be rendezvousing? Just like with restaurants, I really prefer those to the chains - whenever it is at all possible and/or practical.
Cueing Up, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/10 22:59:25 (permalink)
Now why you all would want to be on your best behaviour (British spelling thanks to Ort.) is beyond me! Sheesh! Stop it! Everyone act up!
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 01:28:31 (permalink)
I think I have this right: We'll all try to be at Monell's Friday night btween 5:30 and 5:45, and hope to be seated between 5:45 and 6:00. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pogo, it was terrific of you to scout Monell's on our behalf and gather information about seating for our Friday visit. That was a great report on the food. I can't wait.

Per Pogo's advice, I read the sidebar piece in Bon Appetit by John T. Edge and hope we can work those places into the plan. Like Paul, the more que joints, the merrier for me.

When you guys have worked out the itenerary, I would be willing to phone the places to ascertain they'll be open and to get their operating hours. It may not be necessary in this case, but it sure is necessary in the Carolinas in the summer when bbq places close for a week or more.

Is anyone else interested in eating supper at the Beacon Light Tea Room on Saturday night? I really want to end my day there as it promises to be a wonderful roadfood experience.

Here are some excerpts on Beacon Light from a review by Kay West in Nashville Scene (thanks Pogo for the link):

Bird of Paradise

Beacon Light fries by faith

By Kay West

I found the note in my mail slot at the Scene. It read: "Kay-See me about Chicken for Jesus. Manuel." Taped to it was a slip of yellow paper exactly the size of the message that comes in a fortune cookie. On one side it said, "My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. Psalm 121:2" The other side said, "Great peace have they which love thy law. Psalm 119:165a."

Who wouldn't be intrigued? I checked in with architect Manuel Zeitlin, always a reliable source for restaurant tips. He asked me if I had been to Beacon Light restaturant lately, and I admitted that I had never been to Beacon Light at all. Manuel told me that Beacon Light is in Lyles, Tenn., out Highway 100, about 30 miles southwest of Nashville. He explained that the place has been in business just about forever and that, for many Nashvillians, Beacon Light is a tradition for biscuits, country ham, and fried chicken, rivaling the editorially well-connected Loveless Cafe.

Manuel also explained that, on their last visit, he and his wife had been startled to find that Beacon Light had apparently been born again--not with regard to its menu, which remained essentially the same one he remembered, but in its packaging. At Beaco n Light, Manuel insisted, Jesus was everywhere. I wondered if Manuel wasn't overreacting a bit, but I slipped the note into my files.

If you need a destination that justifies a ride in the country, and if you're hungry for some good country cooking, Beacon Light might be just for you. The route out Highway 100 is a bucolic one, blissfully unmarred by the sprawls of Big Homes that have sprouted up in some parts of Williamson County. (Lyles, for the record, is in Hickman County, about 10 minutes from Fairview.) Along the way, we enjoyed plenty of rural landscape, complete with grazing cows and horses, a few markets, several antique/junk /country craft stores, and a dead deer by the side of the road. (We preferred to believe he was just resting.)

Viewed from its gravel parking lot, The Beacon Light Tea Room looks perfectly ordinary, a small one-story building painted light gray with brick-red accents. Inside, well, let me put it this way. Manuel was right. Jesus is inescapable.

The Beacon Light staff is warm, friendly, and cheerful; they seem to belong to one big extended family. They don't openly proselytize their customers; given the atmosphere, that would hardly be necessary. There's Christian music on the sound system, and virtually every available inch of wall space is decorated with a biblical image: Jesus at the Last Supper, Jesus as the Lamb of God, Jesus as the Fisher of Men. There are black-and-white Jesuses, and there are living-color Jesuses (no velvet Jesus, I reg ret to report). There are lions lying down with lambs, there are shepherd's staffs, and there are white doves (not real ones). A "Jesus is Lord" nightlight is plugged into an outlet by the front door. And on every table, in between the huge bottle of Gra nd Value ketchup and the silk flower arrangement, is an Our Daily Bread Promise Box. Each Promise Box is a small molded-plastic loaf of bread stuffed with fortune-cookie-style scripture notes. I pulled one out: "He that cometh to me shall never hunger. J ohn 6:35b." I opened the menu anyway.

There I found a short history of Beacon Light Tea Room, which was founded in 1936 by H.O. Ramsey and was named for a government-built beacon light that once stood across the road and directed the old prop planes flying the mail between Memphis and Nashvi lle. The history ends with a blessing.

Beacon Light offers a slate of food that includes country ham, a rib eye steak, a T-bone, shrimp, cheese, and hamburgers. There are breakfast items, and there's a BLT. But we were at Beacon Light for the fried chicken, so that's what we ordered. For $6, you get half a chicken with a salad, your choice of potato (baked or french fries), gravy, biscuits, and preserves.

The salad was mostly iceberg lettuce and some shredded carrots, but it was considerably redeemed by fat slices of ripe, homegrown tomatoes. The biscuits were small and flat, light and tasty, whether we covered them with the pan gravy or with the homemade peach or strawberry preserves. I was craving mashed potatoes in a serious way, but the baked one I ordered was some compensation--it was actually baked, not nuked. (I only spied the fries from a distance; they appeared to be of the steak-fry variety.) An d though it could have used more pepper, the chicken, cut into breast, wing, and leg/thigh pieces, was skillet-fried to a greasy, golden crisp. The meat inside was moist. I ate every bit.

"He that believeth on me shall never thirst. John 6:35c." Nevertheless, Beacon Light's beverage repertoire includes a good, strong iced tea, colas and root beer, milk, and orange and tomato juices. For dessert, there's lemon ice-box pie on a graham crack er crust. It was too sweet and gummy for my taste.

Like the homemade preserves, the scripture bread boxes are for sale at the counter (just $5.95 each). Each loaf is packed with 240 promises from the Word of God. "I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight. Isaiah 45:2a"

It's easy to see why this place has been in business for more than 60 years. When it makes a promise, it delivers. Beacon Light calls itself "A Different Kind of Restaurant." Truer words were never spoken.

Beacon Light Tea Room is located on Highway 100 in Lyles, Tenn. (615-670-3880). Closed Mon.; open 4 p.m.-10 p.m. Tues.-Fri.; 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Sat.-Sun. Credit cards accepted. Smoking permitted.
Poverty Pete
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 04:35:27 (permalink)
I definitely want to make Beacon Light the last stop of the day. I drive past it once a week or so, but never when it's open.
Ort, if you want to stay out in that area, there's a motel about five miles from Beacon Light that answers your description, called eye-forty, in Dickson. As a bonus, they have a nice little cafe there, for the last morning before you head back...or, my couch is still available.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 05:14:03 (permalink)
Pogo and Poverty: I hope you guys can get together for lunch on Saturday and work out the agenda. Whatever you work out works for me. The Sundancer is easy.

Monells Friday night at 5:45PM

Pogo suggested a watering hole afterwards.

What time do we start Saturday Morning?

JimInKy wants to do Beacon light on Saturday evening. How much can we hold?

lleechef is flying in sometime. Hope to hear of her ETA today. Pogo or Poverty, lleechef wanted to know of someplace to stay. I know there are lots of places around the airport. Perhaps you can suggest?

This is gonna be real fun. I had to go back and read my original post when I started this thread. Those guys are real craftsmen. JimInKy offered to contact them to insure they were open. That would save us some time. It would be awful to go and they ain't there.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Poverty Pete
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 07:18:54 (permalink)
There are plenty of hotels near the airport. Anything on Elm Hill Pike will be close, and would be easy for me to go by on the way to Monell's. There's Marriott, , etc.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 09:42:22 (permalink)
I agree with Pete on the suggestion of Blackstone's for a libation or two afterwards. I am very fond of the porter that they brew. Of course, the need to get an early start the next day will probably prevent too much in the way of late night shenanigans.

Pete, I need to check out my Saturday schedule, but lunch on Saturday may be doable (and I would definitely like to hit Judge Bean's).

I definitely want to do the Beacon Light on the way back. Stomach be damned! That is one of the reasons that I am contemplating doing a dry run. I'm not certain of the timing, and I want to lay out a route that will hit all the good places, but that will also put enough time in between stops to give us a bit of a break. Also, I have not been to all these places and having only a general idea of where someplace is can be somewhat problematic when multiple vehicles are involved.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 09:48:24 (permalink)
Pogo: If you do a dry run, please tell us about it.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 13:36:25 (permalink)
you know,reading this is fun! I'd love to see reviews of this whole trip by each of you just and campare them all!Boy these places better be st their best because this is a crew that KNOWS!! Once again--i am jelous and wish i could be there! Havew fun all!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 13:44:38 (permalink)
Do I need chaps for this trip?????? Or just a bib????????
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 13:55:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Do I need chaps for this trip?????? Or just a bib????????

Maybe both plus thick skin. I think we will keep it fairly clean though.

Seriously I think it will be a great trip. Pogo and Poverty are or will be working on an agenda. They know the area very well.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 14:02:05 (permalink)
The thick skin I already posess. clothier, I need chaps, a bib and a crop before I head down to Tennessee fried anything. Geeze, I feel like I'm going into BATTLE!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 14:03:35 (permalink)
I believe that the key is to have the appropriate lubricants...
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 14:09:23 (permalink)
Grrrrrrr..........
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 14:27:35 (permalink)
Grrrrr........
Poverty Pete
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 18:09:25 (permalink)
A dry run? You mean just driving out and finding the places? Maybe stumble across a mustard museum or something? If you want to do that this weekend, I'm game.
I had bbq this morning at the Perfect Pig in White House...good veggies, better pulled pork, outstanding sauce. The sauce reminded me of Arthur Bryant's, except somewhat sweeter.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 18:20:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

A dry run? You mean just driving out and finding the places? Maybe stumble across a mustard museum or something? If you want to do that this weekend, I'm game.
I had bbq this morning at the Perfect Pig in White House...good veggies, better pulled pork, outstanding sauce. The sauce reminded me of Arthur Bryant's, except somewhat sweeter.

I hope you guys do. Nothing like a well scouted out trip. Were you kidding about a mustard museum or was that just a for instance. Please tell us about you trip if you go. It seems that the best part of any trip is the anticipation.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 18:38:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

A dry run? .... Maybe stumble across a mustard museum or something? ...

The Mustard Museum is in Wisconsin, not Tennessee! Interesting place though if you ever get up that way..

http://www.uncommondays.com/states/wi/places/mustard.htm
http://www.mustardmuseum.com/
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ 2004/02/11 18:53:37 (permalink)
I think Poverty was talking in a exploratory analogy and not a fact. I do the same thing. I like to drive and see what I can find. You never know what you are going to find on the road. When you find it, whatever it is, it is fun. If it smells good eat it.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 12
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1