The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

2 Northeast BBQ joints

JDSpiedies

• Total Posts: 48
2 Northeast BBQ joints Thu, 07/1/04 8:45 PM (permalink)
has anyone heard of Virgil's in Putney, Vermont or PJ's in Saratoga, New York? Those are my 2 favorite BBQ joints in the Northeast.

seafarer john

RE: 2 Northeast BBQ joints Fri, 07/2/04 10:54 AM (permalink)
    JDS: recommend you stop at The Barnstormer in Newburgh for good BBQ it's not all that far from Orangeburgh. Also, the Hickory Smokehouse on Rt 28 west of Kingston is said to be pretty good - we havn't visited there yet...

Edwaste

• Total Posts: 168
      RE: 2 Northeast BBQ joints Fri, 07/2/04 1:29 PM (permalink)
      2 other good mentions for great BBQ when up in the North East is the Pig's Ear in North Woodstock NH, and Marconi Station BBQ in Wellfeet, Cape Cod.

Pig's Ear is run by a dislocated Texan gal, who decided New Hampshire could use some good Q. Her own made potato salad is good too. North Woodstock is so small, you'll have no trouble finding it.

The Marconi Station BBQ is near Marconi Beach. You can't miss it, with two big smokers going full tilt right in front on Route 6.
      Great pulled pork, and try the baked sweet potato with honey/cinnamon/butter topping.

DaveM

• Total Posts: 353
        RE: 2 Northeast BBQ joints Fri, 07/2/04 4:06 PM (permalink)
        My wife swears by the beef ribs at Down N' Dirty on Amory St. in Manchester,NH-Rick brinkman uses only hickory shag bark in his cooking-trained in FL.
        KC's Rib Shack, also in Manchester, is not as good as Down N'Dirty, but makes a great Apple BBQ sauce.
        Charlie Beigg's of North Windham,ME is another nice restaurant-one who sauces are bottled and sold locally-Bourbon and apple infused-the apple especially is great.
        I also hear great things about the River Run in Plainfield,VT(?)-their cookbook has been out for a while now.

bowhuntrrl

• Total Posts: 7
          RE: 2 Northeast BBQ joints Mon, 07/5/04 2:33 PM (permalink)
          Bub's Barbeque on RT 116 in Sunderland,MA is one of the best barbeques we have run across anywhere!! He has won many contests for his sauce and makes great barbeque. Prices are also very reasonable running from $6.95 for sandwiches, up to about $15.95 for combo plates. All meals include homemade soup and bread, unlimited hot and cold bars. One of my favorites is the smoked "taters" he has on the hot bar. They are like home fries only with smoked potatoes.The atmosphere is rustic, wooden picnic tables and 2 rolls of paper towels per table, as it should be.

bowhuntrrl

Edwaste

• Total Posts: 168
            RE: 2 Northeast BBQ joints Wed, 07/7/04 11:30 PM (permalink)
            Just been to Bub's today, my second visit, yum!
            I'm in the Manchester area quite often, I'll look into Down n' Dirty and KC's (I've heard of KC's but never tried it)
            Usually in Manchester I go to Clam King for the fish and ribs combo.

JDSpiedies

• Total Posts: 48
              RE: 2 Northeast BBQ joints Thu, 10/28/04 6:54 PM (permalink)
              I went back to VT for another rack of Virgli's recently. GOOD BBQ!!!!

forurlungsonly

• Total Posts: 92
                RE: 2 Northeast BBQ joints Thu, 10/28/04 7:36 PM (permalink)
                We have Charlie Beigg's sauces at Hannafords here in Albany. I agree, the apple one is the BEST. And unlike most bottled barbecue sauces, it contains no high fructose corn syrup, which further entices me to buy it.

santacruz

• Total Posts: 372
                  RE: 2 Northeast BBQ joints Fri, 10/29/04 11:00 AM (permalink)
                  I really like a place called Brooks in Oneonta New York. They have real good ribs, but further they may have one of the best BBQ chicken recipes on this planet. I think they use a Cornell type marinade it is just fantastic, also it is a real cool Roadfood type place.

http://www.brooksbbq.com/

rabid_child

• Total Posts: 6
                    RE: 2 Northeast BBQ joints Sat, 11/6/04 4:29 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by JDSpiedies

has anyone heard of Virgil's in Putney, Vermont or PJ's in Saratoga, New York? Those are my 2 favorite BBQ joints in the Northeast.

Did you mean Curtis'(All-American Ninth Wonder of the World) BBQ in Putney? Or is this something new?

kilerclown

• Total Posts: 54
                      RE: 2 Northeast BBQ joints Mon, 11/22/04 10:30 AM (permalink)
                      Perhaps we went to Bub's in Mass on a bad day but I thought there Q sucked. There was no smoke flavor to the food at all and I swear the ribs were par boiled. Also, the "BBQ Chicken" was actually prepared on a gas grill right in front of the customers. When I asked to sample their brisket the kid behind the counter began fishing in an aluminum pot of sauce to pull of a few strings.

I wrote a review but somehow it never got posted...hmmm.

Youre better of going to the Cookshack in East Hartford CT at least there they smoke the food. Additionally Uncle Willy's is fantastic. Their brisket is some of the best Ive had anywhere...including...dare I say...Texas.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com