• Total Posts : 2
2010/04/26 06:49:52 (permalink)

2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York

Looking for good road food suggestions for this weekend

16 Replies Related Threads

carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York 2010/04/26 09:37:19 (permalink)
    I've never been to Canadaquia, but I did spend a very enjoyable day roadfooding in Rochester last fall, and I can enthusiastically recommend Nick Tahou's for a "garbage plate" ( bad name, but a great dish ), LDR Char Pit ( steak sandwiches ), and Dinosaur BBQ ( ribs etc. )  And welcome to Roadfood.
    post edited by Carolina Bob - 2010/04/26 09:44:00
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10517
    Re:2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York 2010/04/26 10:29:26 (permalink)
    jazrod-
    Welcome to Roadfood!  If you do visit LDR Char Pit (and you definitely should!), make sure you take the short walk down the street to the excellent Abbott's Custard.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York 2010/04/26 13:18:32 (permalink)
    I'll second Dinosaur Bar B Que in Rochester.

The Dinosaur is a Syracuse tradition with a couple sadelite locations, one of which is in Rochester (the other is in NYC). Well, I'd say drive to Syracuse for the original, but really it's not necessary. While the atmosphere in Rochester's outlet is different than Syracuse, I've heard from my many Syracuse childhood friends who now reside in the Greater Rochester area, each of whom give the Rochester location a go. One such buddy, goes once per week for lunch.

I spent a week on Canandaigua Lake last summer. Didn't get out too much (since we were renting a house with a kitchen), but based on our stay, and my experiences form some years ago when I lived in CNY and had good friends living in Canandaigua, here are my recommendations:

If you like German food:
    Rheinblick German Restaurant - there's a thread on roadfood about "where have all the German Restaurants gone?" - well, this is one that is relatively new, and raises the bar on the old stick in the mud German restaurants. Great for dinner! Food is excellent, service is excellent, beer is excellent, atmosphere is Bavarian - you can't lose here.

Lunch:
    Casa Italiana, part pizzaria, part deli, part imported italian food mart, I wish this place was on Capitol Hill here in DC. The subs are really great (can't speak to the pizza, since we had subs). this is the perfect place, to grab food - a sub, or maybe even some cheeses and anti-pasta items like roasted red pepper, olives, etc, and have a picnic along the water, just a few blocks away.

Refreshment:
    And by refreshment, I mean, beer: Mac Gregor's - over 50 different beers on tap - it's a nice local watering hole. Tip: Sit at the bar for better service. Otherwise, expect slow service. Food = regular bar/pub food. Stick to burgers and wings.
    or
    Wally's Pub - you lose the beer selection of Mac Gregor's, but the food is a little better at this seemingly gruff place. But what it lacks in classiness it makes up in gritty character.  Service depends on you, since there's no waitstaff - you order and pick up everything from the bar. Personally, it's a little too towny for me compared to MacGregors, but I have fond memories of both places from way back when some good friends lived in Canandaigua.

Breakfast:
    Patty's Place - short menu, long on quality. They do one thing: breakfast. I don't even think it's open for lunch anymore. so, what they do, they do very well. Aside from the usual eggs, homefries, pancake usual suspects, they have yummy, comforting "homemade" bread - which, if you like, you can buy a loaf to take home. I recommend doing that!

Now, I don't know your plans for your trip, but if you have time and want something a little more high scale, a little less towny, but still keeping within the experience of enjoying the Finger Lake region and a trip to NY State, try some wine and food at the New York Wine and Culinary Center - The Taste of NY Restaurant brings to you the best of NY wines, brews and foods that are, if not unique to NY, distinct to NY. From Long Island Oysters, to NY artisan cheeses, to NY strip steak and free range chicken, paired with fine NY wines and beers representing the Finger Lake Region and the rest of NY State as well.

If you have even more time, you can do more expansive wine and/or beer tastings and even take a class in cooking, wine and spirit tasting classes, and more. For that, though, you'd need to plan ahead.

Hope this helps - and enjoy your trip. We had such an amazing time in Canandaigua and the Finger Lakes, we're planning the same trip (only in a different house on a neighboring lake) for this summer.
    post edited by Scorereader - 2010/04/26 15:24:03
    tedlovesdogs
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re:2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York 2010/04/27 21:20:19 (permalink)
    I've eaten at Eric's Office on the north end of Canandaigua a few times over the past few years and it's always been good. Google them and you'll find 'em (I can't post the link 'cuz I don't have enough posts yet.). Have a good visit!
    post edited by tedlovesdogs - 2010/04/27 21:22:35
    jazrod
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York 2010/04/27 21:22:58 (permalink)
    Thank you all for the suggestions. This
     is wonderful and i will be using this forum again!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4567
    Re:2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York 2011/10/03 10:55:23 (permalink)
    Taking a trip to the Finger Lakes later this week.  I wanted to stay on the middle one, but had to settle for Canandaigua.  We will probably hire a car service to take us winery hopping since I can get carried when I am surronded by wine.

Nice recommendations from Scorereader as we will be staying in  Canandaigua.  Anyplace else I should be on the lookout for?  Really good Italian?
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10517
    Re:2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York 2011/10/03 11:39:13 (permalink)
    Joe-
    If you make it down to Naples, NY, I definitely recommend trying a grape pie.  Several places sell them, but the one we bought from Monica's was excellent!

If you are looking for someplace to have breakfast, Food at Fisher's Station in Victor is wonderful!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5234
    Re:2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York 2011/10/03 14:42:09 (permalink)
    joerogo

Taking a trip to the Finger Lakes later this week.  I wanted to stay on the middle one, but had to settle for Canandaigua.

So you're disappointed you didn't get the middle Finger?  Here, let me help you with that...

Brad
    SeamusD
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1042
    Re:2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York 2011/10/03 16:05:17 (permalink)
    If you end up in Geneva (16 miles east of Canadaigua), stop at Parkers Grille (http://www.parkersgrille.com/). It's well done American pub fare, I've never had a bad meal at any of the locations. Their chicken wings are especially good.

And just a little farther east in Seneca Falls, is a great Amish country store called Sauder's, with a fantastic deli and just about anything else you can imagine.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York 2011/10/03 16:49:51 (permalink)
    buffetbuster, I never expected to get a pie recommendation from you  We are taking the scenic route through Corning and will go right past Naples.  I am already wondering what wine to pair with the pie

ScreamingChicken, Hey....right back atcha Buddy

SeamusD, Thanks for the info, Sauder's sounds like a must see, but might be a little out of reach for this trip.  Unless I take the highway home.

NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re:2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York 2011/10/11 08:08:29 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Joe-
    If you make it down to Naples, NY, I definitely recommend trying a grape pie.  Several places sell them, but the one we bought from Monica's was excellent!

If you are looking for someplace to have breakfast, Food at Fisher's Station in Victor is wonderful!

I also note that LDR Charpit often has grape pie, and usually pretty good as well :)
    As far as Food at Fisher's Station, make sure you have time, usually quite a line to get in (at least the times I have tried)

kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 411
    Re:2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York 2011/10/11 12:54:15 (permalink)
    jazrod

Looking for good road food suggestions for this weekend

In Canandaigua, get some whole belly clams at the Fish Shanty on East Lake Road.
    Frozen Custard at Abbott's on Eastern Blvd.
    Patty's Place on Main St. for breakfast.
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 411
    Re:2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York 2011/10/11 12:56:02 (permalink)
    joerogo

buffetbuster, I never expected to get a pie recommendation from you  We are taking the scenic route through Corning and will go right past Naples.  I am already wondering what wine to pair with the pie

ScreamingChicken, Hey....right back atcha Buddy

SeamusD, Thanks for the info, Sauder's sounds like a must see, but might be a little out of reach for this trip.  Unless I take the highway home.
    I used to live in the area, and Naples IS the place for grape pies! Check out Hammondsport, pretty much on the way. A neat little town that was in the running for Travel Magazine's Coolest Small Town in America!

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York 2011/10/11 14:08:34 (permalink)
    joerogo 

I am already wondering what wine to pair with the pie

In the Finger lakes? I'd go with a semi-dry Reisling. The best semi-dry Reisling is Dr. Franks. It's the most balanced Reisling. Sure, it's sweeter than a dry reisling (which they do very well, also), but has acidity to balance. Some semi-dry reislings don't balance the sweet well enough. Dr. Franks is perfectly balanced. Should go well with grape pie...also turkey, venison and other game meat.

If you happen to go by Dr. Franks, be sure to do the full run of wine tasting. If you show interest, they'll open rarer bottles, sold only on-site.

There's a cute winery in Naples, too - speaking of Naples - called, Inspired Moore Winery and Vineyard. They have a very eco-friendly approach to wine making and farming. They purchase some grapes from selected vineyards that posses their same farming philosophies, and have some acres of their own. We enjoyed it.

ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    Re:2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York 2011/10/11 15:48:15 (permalink)
    LDR has incredible burgers too (they call them 'grounds' up there), as does the original Don's over at Seabreeze

And there are worse things in Life than  breakfast at the Highland Park Diner....
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:2 days in Canadaquia and Rochester, New York 2011/10/11 18:57:43 (permalink)
    Hey All, thanks again!  I'm Baaack!

Great trip in a beautiful area, plus we took the scenic route up and back.  We visited Dr frank's, Glenora, Atwater, Red Newt, Fox Run and Hazlett Wineries.      

We had a great dinner at Rheinblick.  Very good beer and wine selection, friendly service and great German food.  It was a short walk from our hotel, beautiful little town.

The Villager and Beeman's provided a perfectly acceptable breakfast.  The breakfast champ was Falls Restaurant.  The crepes were outstanding.

In my opinion, it's difficult to screw up Japanese Hibachi.  Sakura in Canandaiqua sucked.  Nice people....food sucked.

We took a recommendation from Wine Spectator and had lunch at Red Newt Winery.  The food was excellent, the wine was another story 

BB, we didn't indulge in any grape pie, but Margaret bought some homemade grape pie filling and will be baking up a storm soon.

Again, thanks all.  I am sure I will be reading this thread again on future trips.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1