2005 Hot Dog Tours

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1873
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/15 23:11:58 (permalink)
John ,
Don't know all of them but we have The Galloping Hill to start.
I would add Rutts Hutt , Hot Dog Grill , Callahans . Just some to throw out there . Hopefully we get some responses out there so we can get the ball going on an intinereary.

Benzee
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/16 09:56:15 (permalink)
John Fox: As for myself, I'd trust your judgement in choosing the places to visit. I'd hope we could try some places other than the ones we visited last year. Not that they wern't great, they were, but I know you know a whole lot of other places and I'd like to visit a few new ones.

Cheers, John
mrphil
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/16 10:09:58 (permalink)
I know as a past attendee there is that "been there, done that" feeling with going to 2004 stops. I have a feeling we're going to get a much larger group this time and some of the newbies are going to want to check out the "classics" We did hit some mainstays on the last tour.(That's what made it so great) I would imagine we would want to keep at least Rutts (and galloping hill by default since it's the start) As with Seafarer John, I trust Mr. Fox's judgement on this!

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/16 10:21:05 (permalink)
I'd sure like to revisit Syd's.
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2326
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/16 17:00:48 (permalink)
Well, there are different ways of looking at this. I'll throw out some ideas and we'll see what we want to do. We can visit some of the old places simply because they are great examples of their style of hot dog. And some people may not have had a chance to go the last time. Or we can visit new places. I'm sure many people who were on the last tour want to try a few new places. As I've said, it doesn't matter to me because I've been to all of them. And I enjoy going back.

Since we will meet at the Galloping Hill Inn, we will try them again. Syd's, which was tied with the Galloping Hill Inn for most votes for best hot dog, is about 4 miles away heading north. If you are still at the GHI, there are 2 places next to each other in Elizabeth about 3 or 4 miles away going east. Jerry's, which is an all beef dog boiled, then grilled, and Tommy's, which serves Italian Hot Dogs and sausage sandwiches. Heading South on the Garden State Parkway about 5 or 6 miles are 2 places within a couple of miles from each other. Frank & Fries, which serves a grilled beef and pork dog (Kohlers brand) that is similar to Hummels or Roessler's from Conn. and has a good thick chili, and Father & Son, an old luncheonette that serves an all beef Grote & Weigel frank that is griddled and topped with a very tasty, spicy chili.

Heading north on the Parkway is Rutt's Hut and the Hot Grill, both visisted last time and fairly close to each other. Exits 153 and 154. One place that we didn't go to last time that would make a good addition would be Karl Ehmer's cart in Hillsdale. A few miles off exit 168. They have a store where you can buy franks, brats, and other sausages, and a cart outside. This cart grills all of these. Their hot dogs are top notch. The German frank is the closest thing I've tasted to the Thumann's griller. Their all beef frank is one of my 3 favorites, along with Usinger's, and the Syd's dog.

North of the Clifton places, but south of Karl Ehmer's is Fort Lee, where Hiram's and Callahan's are right next to each other. I don't know if you can get there via the Parkway; I've always taken the Turnpike. These are good places, but both serve deep fried hot dogs that are the same as what you get at Rutt's and the Hot Grill. Callahan's serves the Sabrett beef/pork dog. The Hot Grill serves the same exact dog, but in a slightly smaller size. Hiram's serves the same Thumann's deep fry dog that Rutt's does.

Other places are the Windmill, which has a location in Westfield about 5 miles from the GHI, Manny's Texas Weiners, which is a couple of blocks away from Syd's, Boulevard Drinks in Jersey City, which is maybe 8 to 10 miles away from the places in Elizabeth. The Windmill serves the same dog as Callahan's and The Hot Grill, but griddle cooks it rather than deep frys it. Manny's serves a grilled Grote & Weigel dog and tops it with thick chili similar to Frank & Fries. Boulevard Drinks serves a small Sabrett cooked on a griddle. This dog is similar to Papaya King in N.Y. They have a very spicy chili also.

There are also a lot of places in West Jersey, that are, in my opinion not as good as what I've mentioned. But they are a different style. A skinless mild dog deep fried and served with a pickle and yellow mustard. Onions too. But these places are close to Pa. and would probably take too long to get to.

There are other places off rt 22 in the Greenbrook, North Plainfield area. Mostly the central Jersey Texas Weiner joints that grill the dogs and top them with thicker chili. Similar to Manny's and Frank & Fries.

These are just some ideas. There are other places I haven't mentioned, as well as hot dog stands and carts. Feel free to suggest places that I haven't named as well as any ideas.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/16 21:21:10 (permalink)
That settles it! You do the choosing, John Fox...

Cheers. John
John Fox
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/17 06:32:09 (permalink)
I would rather get a general idea or consensus from the group of people who will be attending. There are some places that most have been to many times that I see no reason to return to. But if there are many who want to, maybe we should. I'd prefer to not have many repeats. The Galloping Hill is where we will be parked. Syd's, which is a few miles away, was a big favorite, being tied with the GHI for most votes for favorite hot dog. And the good thing about going to Syd's is that there is a place 2 doors down in the same strip mall (Tabatchnik's) that serves a big grilled kosher dog (Empire National) with casing that only 2 or 3 of us sampled last time when Steve Keiner walked over and got one. And 2 blocks away is Manny's Texas Weiners, which serves an authentic Plainfield area Texas Weiner. This style differs from the North Jersey or "Hot Texas Weiner" in that the dog is grilled rather than deep fried and has a thicker chili. That's 3 places, 2 of them being new, within 3 blocks.

As I said before, I'd be happy going to any combination of places. There are 2 good ones a little south of our starting point. And if you feel like travelling a little (exit 168) there is Karl Ehmer's which serves 2 different hot dogs that are in the top 3 of my favorites in both all beef and beef and pork.

Many of us have been to Rutt's numerous times. Some would like to leave this stop out while others insist on returning. I'd like to get a consensus. If we start at GHI, go south a few miles and visit 2 places in the Rahway/Linden area, we could go back on the Parkway, hit the 3 that are within a few blocks of each other, then take the trip north to Ehmer's, while letting our food digest and maybe hit Rutt's or somewhere nearby the Parkway on the way back to Union. Most of the good hot dog restaurants are very close to the Parkway, making for convenient travel.

I'm open to suggestions and would like to hear your opinions. I'd rather get a feel for what the group wants to do rather than make up an itinerary myself. Although I can do that as I have my ideas on what I think would be good for the group as a whole. Remember to pace yourself. I would advise strongly against eating extras like fries. Share a hot dog at one or more stops rather than eating a whole one. Skip, or just have a bite at a place that you know you are not particularly fond of.

Please post your ideas here so we can plan this trip.
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/17 08:59:32 (permalink)
I have never been to Rutt's Hut and would like to go. However, if it is not included in the tour, I can always get there on my own.

I would like to try at least one example of each: an Italian, a German, a kosher, a skinless, and a Texas wiener. I think that would be cool. Does that sound do-able, JF?
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/17 11:28:30 (permalink)
I've never been, but I have heard of some hot dog places near the Falls of the Passaic, would that area be convenient as part of a tour?

cheers, John
mrphil
Hamburger
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/17 13:07:08 (permalink)
Actually Meowzart, That's a very good description of last years tour! That's why I thought it was so great, each place showcased a different dog. All very different from each other.
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/17 13:32:37 (permalink)
I'd enjoy going back to any of the places from last year as well as some new ones - maybe a combination of both be good.
alesrus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/17 14:24:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by aleswench

I'd enjoy going back to any of the places from last year as well as some new ones - maybe a combination of both be good.

With Mr Fox as our guide here are the spots (old and new) I would like to visit.

not in any order

Galloping Hill Inn ( the roll and the dog )

Syds ( the Dog )

Tabatchniks (never been here)

Manny's (Must compare Plainfield style to Paterson style)

Karl Ehmer's ( never been here and would like to take home some brats and dogs)

seafarer john, I think we could do a whole day of Paterson style dogs.

John Fox
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/17 17:29:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by alesrus

quote:
Originally posted by aleswench

With Mr Fox as our guide here are the spots (old and new) I would like to visit.

not in any order

Galloping Hill Inn ( the roll and the dog )

Syds ( the Dog )

Tabatchniks (never been here)

Manny's (Must compare Plainfield style to Paterson style)

Karl Ehmer's ( never been here and would like to take home some brats and dogs)

seafarer john, I think we could do a whole day of Paterson style dogs.

This sounds like what I had in mind. A good mixture of old and new. I've only been to Karl Ehmer's once, but I was really impressed. Their hot dogs (in both styles) are as good as anyone's. I know that they would be liked by the group. After hitting the Union places, we could either go directly to Karl Ehmer's and maybe hit Rutt's on the way back, or go to Rutt's first as it is 3 to 5 minutes off the Parkway, if we decide to go there. Incidentally, on the way back to the Parkway from Rutt's, about 2 minutes away, is a Falls View location. They serve a Texas Weiner , and you have the choice of getting it deep fried or char grilled. The dog is a Thumann's griller, which is really not what other Texas Weiner places use. But it is on the way back to the Parkway whether you are going north to Ehmer's or south back to Union.

Meowzart,

German style dogs are available at GHI and Karl Ehmers. Kosher dogs are available at Tabatchnik's, kosher style at Syd's and Ehmer's, Texas Weiners at Manny's, Frank & Fries, Falls View, and Hot Grill. Italian Hot Dogs are available at Charlies Famous about 2 miles down the road from GHI or Tommy's about 3 miles away in Elizabeth. All of the places serve natural casing dogs with the exception of the Italian Hot Dog places which do serve skinless dogs. At Charlies, you can get a plain boiled (in beer) skinless all beef hot dog.

At Tabatchnik's you can buy their dogs to take home. They are Empire Kosher with a collagen casing; the finest kosher dog I've tasted. They are big, 1/3 of a lb, so I suggest sharing if we go here. We went here and to Syd's recently with a few people from another website, and they wound up buying sandwiches and other food to take home. It is a kosher style deli a few doors down from Syd's. And you can buy as little as one dog to take home.

At Karl Ehmer's, you can buy any of their dogs or other sausages to take home. Last weekend I attended a beer festival in Pennsylvania. They served sausages from Karl Ehmers. They weren't all labelled, so I asked about one in particular that was very tasty. It turned out to be Andouille with cheese. Delicious. I'll be going back soon to buy some of this.

At Rutt's you can buy their relish and they will sell their hot dogs at $5.00 per lb. Syd's also sells their dogs for about the same price, although I haven't bought them there. I'm sure that I can convince the owner to sell you as little as one to bring home if you wish. I live close enough to where they're made, so I get them from the source, but if you enjoy them, you may want to bring a cooler with ice and buy some at Syd's. Most of the Texas Weiner places sell their chili sauce. Falls View sells their dogs by the pack, which are THumann's Grillers with a Falls View label. They are also made specially for them. Same recipe as Thumann's grillers, but without the smoke. Good, but I prefer the regular Thumann's.

The good thing about hitting a lot of places is that they are fairly close to each other and I can call ahead and have them prepare the dogs when we get close. Also, we have the option at the first place (Galloping Hill Inn) of running 2 miles down the road to try an Italian Hot Dog at Charlies before we actually get on the bus if some people are desiring to try an Italian Hot Dog. Maybe we can meet a little early and run down in someone's car. We did an Italian Hot Dog last time and not everyone might want to do it again.
mrphil
Hamburger
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/18 09:01:17 (permalink)
I think Rutt's is such a classic. One point is that it was the last stop on the previous tour. I have to be honest, by that point, I was quite full and don't feel I got a chance to appreciate it. John, one of your suggestions above included Rutt's earlier. Of couse, just a suggestion.
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/18 14:05:37 (permalink)
Having missed last year's tour, and having been nowhere except Max's and the Windmill regarding North Jersey, I am up for absolutely anything that anyone who's been there and done that suggests. I totally trust John's opinions, as well as Lou, alesrus, Benzee, etc.! I just couldn't offer any helpful suggestions on where to go, because guys - let's face it - you know better than me. Look, if I don't like it, I'll just take a bite and throw the rest of it away.

Once we've been, then I can offer the opinions. And because I don't eat chili, onions, peppers or relish, my opinions will have to be limited.

I'm just excited to go to any of them and meeting or seeing again fellow Roadfooders.
Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/20 18:17:58 (permalink)
Hello all ,

We have some great ideas for the Hot Dog Tour , I've only seen one possible name for our group , Coney Island Lou suggested Hot Dog Nation . I kinda like it , any more choices ??

Benzee
John Fox
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/20 18:25:45 (permalink)
I like Hot Dog Nation too.
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/21 10:44:28 (permalink)
As far as the name thing goes--why do we need a name again? Can't we just get together and chow without a name, a gimmick, a chairity, a fundraiser, former competitive eaters, t-shirts and the like? Do we need organizational meetings? Heck--the bus is nice, but I don't even think we NEED that either. We've certainly had successful tours without one. I believe other meet-ups in the past we handled right here on the boards one or two people taking the lead and picking a date and a meet-up place and collecting the names of willing participants. We've done that with this tour already. What more is there to organize? It certainly would be less hassle on the organizers if they didn't have to worry about pre-meet-ups and charities and t-shirts.

Just my humble observations...
Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/21 14:27:55 (permalink)
Meozwart ,

What a bummer dude !!

You do not want a name for the group .
You do not want a bus
Forget your favorite charity too
You do not think it would be cool to have a dog with your favorite competitive eater .
No Gimmicks here , lets just carpool from place to place , on and off the Garden St. Pkwy , oh wait another toll .
No need to organize , you have all the names of the participants from the board .

Well I guess our part is done .

See you Sept 17th

Anyone share the same opinion as moozart , please let me know , just as easy for me to show up than to take a lead.

Benzee" />
Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/21 14:29:24 (permalink)
Oh yea ,
Just my opinions also .

Benzee
alesrus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/21 15:32:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Benzee

Meozwart ,

What a bummer dude !!

You do not want a bus
You do not think it would be cool to have a dog with your favorite competitive eater .
No Gimmicks here , lets just carpool from place to place , on and off the Garden St. Pkwy , oh wait another toll .
No need to organize , you have all the names of the participants from the board .

See you Sept 17th

Anyone share the same opinion as moozart , please let me know , just as easy for me to show up than to take a lead.

Benzee" />

While a bus would be nice it will add to the expense. The 2004 hot dog tour went off with out a hitch with Mr Fox's expertise. We even had pins donated by aleswench and name tags by Coneyisland Lou. Benzee your ideas sound good but I would not like to see the tour get any more complicated (sp) Just my opinion.

Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/21 19:32:50 (permalink)
Alesrus ,

I did not think it was getting too complicated , but I would understand if the majority would want to take their own cars .

I organize numerous Bus Trips for our local K of C and thought it would be a good idea to have one for this event .

I will wait and see some more responses , worse case scenario we could get a van or mini bus for anyone coming from the north , and use that as our mode of transportation .

Benzee
John Fox
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/21 22:19:37 (permalink)
I think having a bus is a good idea. It would allow us to be able to socialize and be together without the hassle of having to follow each other and worry about some of us getting lost. As far as the other things, they are not as important to me. But if someone wants to volunteer to do other things like tee shirts; what the hell? I have a tee shirt from the last tour, and have a lot of fun with it when I go out. We don't have to make this too complicated, but I'm really in favor of at least getting a bus. I don't think we would have any problem filling it. I know people who like hot dogs, and would consider participating in this tour if they didn't have to worry about driving. But I'd be willing to drive if most of the group would rather do it the way we did the last tour. Let's get some feedback and opinions.
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/21 23:56:39 (permalink)
Benzee, can you give us any idea of the numbers you are playing with. Cost of bus for X hours. I'm not cheap but I don't like to throw money away either. But I missed talking to a number of people on last year's tour, so the idea of being together on a bus is appealing.

What number of participants would we need for the the cost to be _____? T-shirts could be optional, but what minimum order size would be needed?

I think it's great that you are willing to take the initiative on this, but I'd hate to see you do a lot of legwork and then come in with a cost that might be too high for many who would like to participate.

In planning for Crabstock, I had lots of input and felt that we reached a consensus on what was appealing for a majority. Are you thinking of a full size 50 passenger bus, or maybe one of those airport like vans that seat about half that. Feed us information. We'll get this right.
BrooklynBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/26 05:30:04 (permalink)
Just a quick post before I am away for a while.
1) I trust in the guidance of John Fox. He did such a great job on the ’04 tour.
2) I like the bus idea. I think we should look at costs and then decide.
3) My ’04 T-shirt is a kick. So why not ’05?
4) Am interested in visiting different NJ dog eateries but could well repeat any of the ’04 stops.

Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/27 17:08:42 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Have not had a chance to post for a week due to work , but here are some thoughts .

As for the bus I would like to keep the cost at $20- 25 per person . No more .
We would probably need to fill a full size bus 35 or 40 or so to break even .
West Point Tours also has a school bus , air conditioned , if we decide to go that route instead of a motorcoach .
I'm going to be getting some price quotes as soon as we get an intinerary . Catch 22 I guess , we cannot get an exact bus price until we know locations .

I have no problems doing the leg work for the bus , when we have a price , divide it by the number expected to join us = the cost per person. Not rocket science folks.

As far as charity , shirts etc, I will leave up to you all .

I would like to have a dog with one of our Hot Dog 4th of July Competitive Eaters , think it would be great .

As far as locations , wherever is fine with me .

Benzee
John Fox
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/27 20:28:17 (permalink)
Sounds good. I don't think there would be a problem filling the bus. I know more than a few people who are interested in going. Do you know the capacity of the bus? They usually hold around 50.
mrphil
Hamburger
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/28 14:40:04 (permalink)
John, If we get such a large turnout, do you think there will be a problem with a large number of cars parking in the lot next to galloping hill?
John Fox
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/06/28 16:27:27 (permalink)
No, they have a very big lot. If it happenned to be a problem, there are 2 different strip malls across the street with even more parking than the Galloping Hill. But it shouldn't be a problem. They have classic car night on Mondays and the lot can accommodate everyone.
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/07/01 11:13:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Benzee

Meozwart ,

What a bummer dude !!

You do not want a bus

See you Sept 17th

Benzee" />

Yup...I just want to meet people and eat and talk.

I'm a simple dude.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1