The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

2005 Hot Dog Tours

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 4 of 6, messages 91 to 120 of 155
seafarer john

RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Fri, 07/1/05 4:41 PM (permalink)
I hope we can get a bus of the appropriate size for those who want to ride the bus; and any others who prefer to drive themselves would also be more than welcome to come along. This is hot dogs were talking about , folks, let's not get too complicated or exclusive or expensive. Let it be known that all are welcome to what can be a great tour, if last year's tour is an criteria.

Cheers, John

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
    RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Sun, 07/3/05 11:38 AM (permalink)
    Hello all ,

Seafarer is right everyone is welcome to attend .
    Feel free to drive yourself if you like , but the bus option will be there and we hope many of you join us .

Once I get a price per person , after we have an intinerary , for the bus , than we can decide if the price is good.

I'm rather anal about keeping costs down as much as possible to make the trip affordable to all , so lets wait and see what kind of price we get.

Benzee

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
      RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Sun, 07/3/05 6:21 PM (permalink)
      I'll call some of the places this week to make sure that they will be open Sept. 17th. Then we'll see if we can finalize an itinerary.

Benzee

RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Wed, 07/6/05 11:30 AM (permalink)
        John ,

There is a report out there that Callahans in Fort Lee is gonna close and that a bank is going in that location .

Do not know if it is true , check the other post out , there is an article on it .

We may want to add it to the list if in fact it is closing soon.

I vivited last week and no hint of closing .

Benzee

John Fox

RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Thu, 07/7/05 7:15 PM (permalink)
          Benzee,

I spoke with Rick Castrianni who is the owner of the Fort Lee Callahans. He confirmed that they will indeed be closing. The family sold the location to a bank and they will be closing up either late August or sometime in Sept. He is not sure of the date and will not know until the end of August at the earliest. By that time it will probably be too late to change plans as far as with the bus and everything.

Rick told me that his brother owns the other 2 Callahans location. One is in Little Ferry and the other in Hasbrouck Heights. Both serve the same dog prepared the same way. I haven't been to either location, but they will be around for those who love Callahans. I'll probably make one last trip to Fort Lee before they close.

It was a case of doing what was best for the family. They owned Callahans for 55 years. It was similar with Eagans in North Arlington. They were a well known hot dog joint that my father went to in the 50's. Now owned by CVS or Rite Aid or one of the Satanic Drug Store cartels that gobble up all our favorite places. Eagan's, Jahn's Ice Cream in Union, the Parsonage Diner in Edison, and many other landmarks. Like we need another damn CVS. But you can't blame these people for selling. I know that the Eagans got an obscene amount of money. I would probably do the same. Great for the owners, but bad for hot dog lovers.

Mr. Castrianni visits Roadfood and knew about our hot dog tour. I wish him the best of luck and will be in touch to find out when they will be closing. Callahan's has been around since 1950 and is a local landmark. It was a stop for many on the way to or from the old Palisades Amusement Park which was right down the street. It will be missed. At least there are 2 others that will live on.

Benzee

RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Fri, 07/8/05 6:09 PM (permalink)
            Hello John ,

I have been to the one in Hasbrouck Heights on Rt. 17 south .
            Excellent Dog and its appearance is very similar to the one in Ft. Lee.

I will definetly have to visit the Ft. Lee location one more time this summer , perhaps a few of us would be interested in honoring one of the great hot dog establishments by having a mini meet there .
            Just a thought .

I cannot blame the family for selling out for the money , at least there are two other Callahans to keep on the tradition .

Please invite Mr. Castrianni to our meet in Sept . The first dog is on me , in appreciation for all his family has done in serving the Hot Dog World for the past 55 years.

Benzee

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
              RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Fri, 07/8/05 6:33 PM (permalink)
              I made the obligatory Callahan's/Hiram's Roadtrip a couple of years ago with my son. We both thought we liked Hiram's just a bit better, but Callahan's was much more pleasant place to be.

But that's not the point, it's sad to see another legendary Roadfood place go down. But I agree that if, after 55 years of sweat and toil, the family wants to cash in, it's time.

I've also been to the Rt 46 Callahan's (Little Falls). A little more modern than the Palisades place, but very similar if not identical menu and taste. But no Hiram's next door. ---Ken

Benzee

RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Sat, 07/16/05 1:35 AM (permalink)
                Hello all ,

I was able to get an approximate cost on the bus . We would be looking at an airconditioned school bus . Exact price not known until we get the company a full intinerary .

Prices we are looking at is $15 to 20 per person . No higher .

How does that sound to everyone ?

Benzee

John Fox

RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Sat, 07/16/05 6:09 AM (permalink)
                  Sounds great! I will be busy this weekend; working today, going to the Mets game tomorrow, but will post within the next few days with a proposed itinerary.

Benzee

RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Sat, 07/16/05 11:35 PM (permalink)
                    Hello all ,

The date for the Hot Dog Tour is Sat. Sept 17th .
                    We will have a bus originate in Orange County NY . Anyone from the area or north can hop on at location TBA .

We will than travel to the Galloping Hill Inn in Union NJ . This will be the location to start the tour .

We will visit between 4 and 6 hot dog establishments in the area .
                    The bus will return to Galloping Hill and than back to Orange County .

Bus can hold about 40

Cost to be between $15 and 20 per person

Intinerary is being finalized by Mr. John Fox .

The following are expected to attend

John Fox
                    Coney Island Lou
                    Seafarer John
                    Brooklyn Bill
                    alesrus
                    mrphil
                    shaynas mom
                    sign man

and myself Benzee

More details to follow

John Fox

RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Sun, 07/17/05 7:39 AM (permalink)
                      I will call some of the places tomorrow to confirm that they will be open on the 17th. I've already checked with a few that will be open. Frank & Fries changed owners last week and may not be open Sat. They were closed yesterday. We'll try to finalize the destinations this week.

seafarer john

RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Sun, 07/17/05 1:48 PM (permalink)
                        The bus sounds good to me, pricewise and conveniencewise- I hate driving in North Jersey...

And, it looks like Brookly Bill's wife and my wife will be joining us for this tour.

Cheers, John

BrooklynBill

• Total Posts: 187
                          RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Sun, 07/17/05 4:43 PM (permalink)
                          (Just about to post when I read seafarer john’s message. But here is my post anyway.)
                          ####################
                          Hey Benzee –
                          Count me in for Sept. 17!
                          Would like to book two seats on that bus.

Bill

LittleJohn

• Total Posts: 16
                            RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Mon, 07/18/05 10:06 AM (permalink)
                            WOW
                            This looks like somethin I would LOVE to do. Its a bit far for me to travel from TX.
                            Maybe if you do it again next year, Ill arrange to fly in for it. (Im serious!)
                            I used to fly to South Bend IN every year for an event called Dynghus Day on the monday after Easter. It was an all day excursion to various bars/clubs around town where various politicians were kissing babies and shaking hands. But the real reason I went (and most others) was the tradition of all these places selling their version of the best polish sausage, accompanied by boiled eggs, beer and other various foods. What a day(s) that was!

Anyway, have fun on the tour, and Ill watch for another to see about flying in for it, especially if theres a bus. That sounds like a great time!

Benzee

RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Mon, 07/18/05 3:43 PM (permalink)
                              Little John ,

Just keep posted on this forum for other get togethers.
                              Should you decide to fly in here are some thoughts.

Stewart Airport is only about a mile from where we are looking at meeting in Orange County NY, not finalized but we have to get permission from a park and ride through the county .

Newark Airport in NJ will get you close to Galloping Hill Inn , the start of tour . Good if you get a rent a car.

Keep us posted if you decide to join us this year.

Brooklyn Bill ,

I will put you down for two for the bus .
                              I will figure out a way to do the payments shortly .
                              I have paypal through Ebay so that may be one .
                              Checks or money orders also probably.
                              Won't start collecting until we finalize everything .

Seafarer John ,

I have you down for two also buddy .
                              Looking forward to meeting the Mrs Seafarer along with Mrs Brooklyn Bill .
                              I also will have some hot dog eating friends that will be joining us from our departure point.

John Fox ,

Good job scoping out these places , it would certainly not be good if we were to come rolling up on a place and it was closed .
                              Let me know when we have the locations set.

To all ,

Let me know if you are definetly interested and I will put you down on the list .

Benzee

John Fox

RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Mon, 07/18/05 6:07 PM (permalink)
                                Benzee,

I checked with Frank & Fries. They will be open on Saturdays. Were closed this past Sat. to do some work inside. Hot dogs and chili will remain the same with expanded hours and menu.

I got no answer from Karl Ehmers, but I suspect that they may be closed Monday's or on vacation. I'll try again and then get back to you regarding a proposed itinerary. I would also like to bring 2 or 3 people along for the tour.

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
                                  RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Tue, 07/19/05 10:48 AM (permalink)
                                  Have already been in touch with John about how many will be in my party.

Can't wait to see the itinerary!

mrphil

• Total Posts: 74
                                    RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Tue, 07/19/05 11:14 AM (permalink)
                                    Add "Mrs. Phil" to the list.

alesrus

• Total Posts: 292
                                      RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Tue, 07/19/05 12:41 PM (permalink)
                                      Please add Aleswench to the list also.

Great price for the bus Benzee!

Benzee

RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Wed, 07/20/05 10:46 PM (permalink)
                                        Hello all ,

Mr and Mrs Phil got you
                                        Aleswench is added too .

Will not be long now folks for the intinerary and all.

Talked to John Fox this evening and we will be posting all the details soon.

Benzee

vocal

• Total Posts: 20
                                          RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Wed, 07/20/05 11:39 PM (permalink)
                                          The last stop should be a doctor check up and cholesterol screening. Some of you eat way too many dogs man.

Benzee

RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Thu, 07/21/05 1:45 AM (permalink)
                                            Thanks for the bump vocal bump!!

seafarer john

RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Thu, 07/21/05 2:23 PM (permalink)
                                              Vocal is probably right, but that wont deter any of us. On last year's tour i observed my fellow Roadfooders eating, not only hot dogs with all sorts of dressings, but , loads of fries, onion rings, and desserts. These Roadfooders are serious eaters!

cheers, John

ejebud

• Total Posts: 16
                                                RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Fri, 07/22/05 9:28 AM (permalink)
                                                Hey all, Newly registered to roadfood. My buddy Matt and
                                                I are in for the hot dog run in September. We will meet up with you at The Galloping Hill Inn. What time do you think the bus will get there? I'll keep checking back for the final info.
                                                Eric

Benzee

RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Fri, 07/22/05 11:51 AM (permalink)
                                                  Hello all ,
                                                  Hot Dog Tour 2005 Sept 17th
                                                  The destinations are set my friends
                                                  Meetup time is 12:00 Noon at
                                                  Galloping Hill Inn
                                                  Galloping Hill Rd, & Chestnut St. Union NJ

The bus will leave Orange County at 10:00am Location TBA
                                                  Arrive at Galloping Hill Inn 11:30 - 11:45am

Cost is $20 per person - Limited to 40 on bus

Visits to

Frank and Fries Rahway
                                                  Father and Son Luncheonette Linden
                                                  Mannys Texas Weiners Union
                                                  Syds and Tabatchnicks Union
                                                  Rutts Hut Clifton
                                                  Karl Ehmers Hillsdale
                                                  Hot Grill Clifton

Each location we will visit for about 1/2 hour .
                                                  Length of tour about 4 - 4 1/2 hours

Payment of check or money order to : Erwin Benz
                                                  Mail to
                                                  Erwin Benz
                                                  807 Cypress Ct.
                                                  Highland Mills NY 10930

Please include your real name and screen name so I have both for the list .

Anyone reserving a seat , payment due by Labor Day Sept 5th
                                                  No payment day of unless we have seats available
                                                  No standing room allowed on bus .

Intinerary was set up by John Fox , great job putting these together.
                                                  Go to hollyeats.com , some of the places are listed . Pictures and reviews.

Benzee

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
                                                    RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Fri, 07/22/05 10:03 PM (permalink)
                                                    Awesome!! Nine places!!

Benzee, I'll put the check in the mail to ya on Monday. Save 4 seats for my party.

WOOHOO!!

Benzee

• Location: Bullville , NY
                                                      RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Fri, 07/22/05 10:14 PM (permalink)
                                                      Meozwart ,
                                                      I put you down for four .
                                                      I'm glad you like the intinerary , John Fox put it together .

Benzee

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                                                        • Location: Baltimore, MD
                                                        RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Sat, 07/23/05 1:43 AM (permalink)
                                                        7 stops -- I have only one thing to say. BURP

morningglory

• Total Posts: 559
                                                          • Location: Sacramento, CA
                                                          RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Sat, 07/23/05 2:51 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by signman

7 stops -- I have only one thing to say. BURP

I guess that brings me to my question. How do you manage tasting hotdogs at 7 different places? Do you share dogs, and take a few bites to taste? Does the concession provide samples sizes for all to taste for a flat fee? I have a small appetite and would be hard pressed to take a couple of bites at each stop. What is the tasting strategy and do you record your opinions based on some criteria? TIA Just wondering. I so wish I could join you, being originally from NJ. Have fun.

John Fox

• Location: Union, NJ
                                                            RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours Sat, 07/23/05 6:27 AM (permalink)
                                                            What I recommend is to share hot dogs or just have a bite of someone's and decide if you like it enough to buy one. If you're coming with someone, it's convenient to share. If not, don't feel shy about sampling one of someone else's. I'll be happy to share mine, as I've tried all the dogs that will be available on this tour.

Those of you that have gone to some of the places may want to skip certain dogs if you wish. A lot of guys (myself included) can eat a lot of hot dogs over a period of hours. I had between 7 and 9 in Connecticut this past winter. Another thing: if you are serious about sampling as many dogs as you can, don't fill up on fries and other sides. And you might want to stick with uncarbonated drinks or bring water. Resist the urge to eat a lot at the first stop as some have done in the past.

I think it would be a good idea to bring a cooler. In previous outings, people have bought sandwiches from Tabatchnik's to bring home. Father & Son sells their spicy chili to take home, as does the Hot Grill. At Rutt's, you can buy their unique relish and hotdogs if you wish. Tabatchnik's also sells their monster 1/3 lb dogs to go. You can buy as little as 1. Karl Ehmer's sells their dogs, wursts, and other foods.

Before we sample the dogs from each place, I'll give a little description of them and what to expect, so that you'll have an idea of what will be offerred and if you might want to pass on that particular dog. For example, some may not like deep fried dogs or spicy all beef dogs.

For those who might want to sample an Italian Hot Dog, Charlies is about 1 1/2 to 2 miles down the street from our meeting place. If you get there early, I'll run you over there before we start the tour.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 4 of 6, messages 91 to 120 of 155

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com