2005 Hot Dog Tours

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1744
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/07/23 13:47:37 (permalink)
John, Feel like describing the dog to sample at each place on Benzee's itinerary above? Thanks.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/07/23 14:27:16 (permalink)
Man, this is one gathering i am really sorry that i will miss!!! Have agreat time folks and bring back PICS!!!!!
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/07/24 19:36:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

John, Feel like describing the dog to sample at each place on Benzee's itinerary above? Thanks.

The Galloping Hill Inn serves a traditional German style beef and pork dog on a harder sturdier bun. Dog is from Grote & Weigel of Ct. based on a recipe from Gaiser's butcher shop in Union. One of the better dogs in this style. I would have it with just mustard. I'm a bare bones guy anyway, but the extras here are nothing special except for the mustard.

Frank & Fries serves a pork/beef dog from Kohler's. It's the only place I know of that serves this particular dog. Very good also, with a slightly tangy taste that reminds me of certain Connecticut dogs. They have chili which is the same recipe as Texas Weiner l and ll. It's a thicker chili that exemplifies the Plainfiled Texas Weiner. The dogs here are griddled (as are those from the Galloping Hill Inn) but are finished off on a charcoal grill. This place has changed ownership (a middle aged couple bought it for their son & his wife) but the food is the same. I would get this dog with with chili Texas Weiner style.

Father & Son Luncheonette serves an all beef dog from Grote & Weigle. Cooked on a griddle, this place is known for hot, spicy chili. Unique and good. Hotter than most Jersey places, but not as much as Kuhn's chili served at many Conn. places. A good all beef dog. I'd have it plain or with chili. By the way, what I like to do when sampling chili is to get it on only half the dog. This way I can evaluate the taste of the dog first. Or get it with chili, but move some to the side.

Manny's Texas Weiner serves a Plainfield area style Texas Weiner. The dog is from Grote & Weigel, and is their regular recipe. This is the dog that's served at most Texas Weiner places that grill, rather than deep fry the dogs. Regular customers swear by this dog. I think it's good, but I like the GHI's dog (different recipe) and Frank & Fries a little better. Chili is similar to Texas Weiner I, II, and Frank & Fries, but a little darker (molasses maybe). I'd have this one with chili.

Syd's serves a 5 to a lb all beef dog from Best Provisions. You have a choice of getting it boiled or grilled. Most get grilled, which is actually put in water first, then charbroiled. This is my favorite all beef dog. A good casing with the right amount of snap and an excellent blend of spices. I would get the grilled dog and have it with just mustard. Last tour, Syd's either had the most votes as favorite hot dog, or was tied with Galloping Hill Inn.

Tabatchnik's serves a giant 1/3 lb Empire Kosher dog that has been prepared on a flat griddle. One of the few kosher dogs that you can get with casing (collagen). This happens to be my favorite kosher dog. Saltier than a kosher style (like Syd's, Nathan's or Sabrett) because of the koshering process of curing the meat in salt, this is a great example of a kosher deli style dog. Served on a bigger roll, this dog is good with mustard or mustard and sauerkraut.

Rutt's Hut serves a special Thumann's dog that is made for deep frying. The same dog is served at many other places, most notably Hiram's, Libby's, Goffle Grill, and Johnny & Hanges. At Rutt's is served to different degrees of doneness. An in and outer is cooked the least amount of time. Most other places that use this dog prepare it like this. Then there is the ripper which is cooked until the skin rips open. Then the weller (well done) which is my favorite, and the cremator, which is almost black. I'd pass on the cremator, although there are those who love them. Their relish is unique and famous. I'd definitely get one with mustard and relish. This type of deep fried dog is different than what many people are used to. Be warned, it may be an aquired taste. I've found that people either love or hate this dog.

Karl Ehmer's is a cart outside of a Karl Ehmer's store that sells hot dogs, wursts, and other sausages. Most of the things for sale in the store, including the franks, are made at their plant in Ridgewood, N.Y. The cart has compartments with water (for simmering) a griddle, and a grill. Most of the dogs and other sausages are on the griddle. You have a choice of how you want your dog prepared. And they have an all beef dog or a beef/pork dog. I enjoyed the beef dog a lot when I was there. For some reason I enjoyed it less on subsequent samplings at home. The German style dog is one of the best I've had in this style. Very close in taste and quality to Thumann's. The dogs are served with Bauer's mustard and kraut if you wish. I'd try the German style dog with mustard.

The Hot Grill serves an authentic North Jersey, or "Hot Texas Weiner". The difference in this style and the Plainfield area Texas Weiner (and it's spelled weiner, not wiener) is that the Hot Texas Weiner is deep fried and served with a thinner chili sauce, wheras the Plainfield area style is usually a Grote & Weigel dog that is griddle cooked and served with a thicker chili. Hot Texas Weiners usually serve the Thumann's dog for deep frying. The Hot Grill serves a beef/pork dog from Sabrett. This is the same recipe dog that is served at Callahan's. Only difference is that the Callahan's dog is bigger. But the same recipe and same way of cooking. The Windmill also uses this dog, but they grill it. Definitely get a dog at the Hot Grill Texas Weiner style; with mustard, onions, and chili. I skip the onions because I hate onions. Even though I prefer the Thumann's dog for deep frying to the Sabrett dog used at Hot Grill, I like the Hot Grill best for a Texas Weiner because of their delicious chili sauce. The dog is good, although mild. But a perfect dog to match with this chili sauce.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/07/24 22:12:42 (permalink)
Great monologue, John, Thanks very much...

Cheers, John
signman
  • Total Posts : 1744
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/07/25 00:14:15 (permalink)
Simply amazing. I forgot who I was asking. All I was really looking for was one or two lines telling what type dog and how it's cooked. Now all I have to do is print it out and voila! the 2005 Hot Dog Tour Guide. Thanks.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/07/25 09:37:16 (permalink)
Im back!!! MAJOR puter problems here..among other stuff....Some Tour thoughts: $20 a head is CHEAP...youre gonna spend that much on gas and tolls!! Somewhere the words 'bus tour' have gotten tied to seniors going to AC or the local dinner theater...trust me there is NOTHING more fun than running around on a bus filled with people wiht a common interest!

John- if you can do it, see if you can print that little descriptive list up so it can be handed out.that would be a nice touch....email me as I have a few other suggestions!

Am counting down the days already!

Lou
LittleJohn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/07/25 11:11:22 (permalink)
Benzee,
Thanks for the info!
If I do come, I would prob fly into Newark, as I work for Continental and there are alot of flights between here and there.

Ill definitely let you know if I can make it. Dont try to hold a spot on the bus or anything, if it fills up, it fills up.
Thanks again!!!
You guys seem like a great bunch, Im glad I found this place!
LJ
BrooklynBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/07/27 17:49:07 (permalink)
Great organizing, Benzee and John Fox!
My check is in the mail.

Bill
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1878
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/07/28 12:38:05 (permalink)
Hello everyone ,

Meozwart ,
Your check was received , paid in full for four . Thank you .

Seven already paid in full , so far a list of 26 .
I talked to our bus company and if we can fill a second bus , we can get one .

John ,
I forwarded the shirt designs that Coney Island Lou has put together . Let him know what you think .

Brooklyn Bill ,
Will be awaitng your check , good hearing from you .

Coney Island Lou ,

Thanks for looking into the shirts , looks like a great idea .

NOTE : Please give John Fox the credit for the intinerary folks , I just posted what he suggested , and will be following his eating style to a tee on the tour.

Benzee

Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/07/31 15:22:30 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Brooklyn Bill you are all set , I received your check yesterday .

Nine now paid in full .

Benzee
Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/08/03 23:35:15 (permalink)
Seafarer John ,

Check received you are all set .

I started a new thread to make it easy to access the details for the Tour on Sept. 17th

Benzee
Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/08/04 19:34:19 (permalink)
John ,

I received your check and will hold you a third seat for the tour.

13 are now paid in full

Benzee
Scallion1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/08/05 01:09:08 (permalink)
Benzee,
Sent my check on Tuesday. I'm stoked.
TheGeeMeister
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/08/05 08:01:17 (permalink)
Hi All,

I am a huge Hot Dog and chili guy and I've been to many places in north jersey and I have to say that the top 4 are Hank's Franks in Lodi(Rt 46 East), Hot Dog House in Carlstadt(Rt 17 South), Amabels in Little Ferry(truck located in the Valley Fair parking lot), and Hot Grill in Clifton(669 Lexington Ave).

Hank's uses Sabrett hot dogs and has great toppings as well as the chili. Amabels uses Sabrett hot dogs and also has really good chili but has gotten pricey over the years. $2 for a chili dog. Hot Dog house has really good chili too. Hot Grill has decent chili but they don't use Sabrett and they deep fry their dogs. I prefer my hot dogs to be Sabrett and boiled.

If anyone has a great recipe for chili, please email it to me. I love to try different recipes. Send them to thegeemeister@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Gary
Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/08/05 17:11:45 (permalink)
Scallion 1

I received the check today . Thank you

14 now paid in full

Benzee
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/08/05 19:09:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TheGeeMeister

Hi All,

I am a huge Hot Dog and chili guy and I've been to many places in north jersey and I have to say that the top 4 are Hank's Franks in Lodi(Rt 46 East), Hot Dog House in Carlstadt(Rt 17 South), Amabels in Little Ferry(truck located in the Valley Fair parking lot), and Hot Grill in Clifton(669 Lexington Ave).

Hank's uses Sabrett hot dogs and has great toppings as well as the chili. Amabels uses Sabrett hot dogs and also has really good chili but has gotten pricey over the years. $2 for a chili dog. Hot Dog house has really good chili too. Hot Grill has decent chili but they don't use Sabrett and they deep fry their dogs. I prefer my hot dogs to be Sabrett and boiled.

If anyone has a great recipe for chili, please email it to me. I love to try different recipes. Send them to thegeemeister@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Gary

The Hot Grill uses Sabrett. But it's a beef and pork blend rather than the spicy all beef dog served at the places you mentioned.
Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/08/12 15:43:19 (permalink)
John ,

I got the check from two of your friends .

Michael and Joanne are all set to go .

17 now paid in full.

Total list of 32 so far.

Benzee
NAAMikey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/08/15 19:43:21 (permalink)
I suggest if you are in Newburgh, you must check out Pete's Hot dogs on S. Robinson Ave. (Rte 9W). Also if your Hot Dog Tour 2005 gets to upstate NY, then you just have to go to Heid's of Liverpool. It has been a family tradition that goes back to my parents and grandparents. You have to taste a Coney with an ice cold chocolate milk from Byrne Dairy in Syracuse. A Coney (pronounced cooney)is a white hot dog made from pork and veal. They are made by the Hoffmannn Sausage Co in Syracuse. Ther are none better in my opinion....Mike
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/08/15 19:52:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NAAMikey

I suggest if you are in Newburgh, you must check out Pete's Hot dogs on S. Robinson Ave. (Rte 9W). Also if your Hot Dog Tour 2005 gets to upstate NY, then you just have to go to Heid's of Liverpool. It has been a family tradition that goes back to my parents and grandparents. You have to taste a Coney with an ice cold chocolate milk from Byrne Dairy in Syracuse. A Coney (pronounced cooney)is a white hot dog made from pork and veal. They are made by the Hoffmannn Sausage Co in Syracuse. Ther are none better in my opinion....Mike

Mikey- You ever been to Coney Island in Middletown???
NAAMikey
Cheeseburger
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/08/16 20:37:52 (permalink)
No I never have Lou...I will have to try it...Thanks for the tip!
Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/08/17 15:46:01 (permalink)
Naa Mikey ,

I visited Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh for the first time in about 10 years today . I will give you a full trip report in a new thread .
We are looking into an Upstate NY tour also in the future.

Also Coney Island in Middletown is a must if you live in Orange County NY, or passing through .

Cervisiam ,

I got your check for two , you are all set for the tour .

Lou ,

I got your pay pal payment you are all set.

To all ,

We now have 20 paid , and a list of 32 definites .
Coney Island Lou and John Fox have sent out press releases to the news media , so if you want to get in on the tour , get your money in soon.

Another option Lou used is pay pal , my wife and I have an account for our ebaying , so if you want to pay that way it adds another option .

Benzee
NAAMikey
Cheeseburger
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/08/17 21:10:01 (permalink)
Thanks Benzee...between you and Coney Island Lou i will definately need to check out Coney Island in Middletown. Thanks again for the tip. Will let you know how much I enjoyed it.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/08/17 23:17:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NAAMikey

Thanks Benzee...between you and Coney Island Lou i will definately need to check out Coney Island in Middletown. Thanks again for the tip. Will let you know how much I enjoyed it.

Mikey

shoot me an email if you will be passing thru town!
Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/08/20 19:35:43 (permalink)
Hello all ,

As I stated in a previous post , I visited Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh at lunch time this past wed.

I'm going to hold off on a full trip report until I visit a second time . Needless to say I need to revisit this establishment before relaying my thoughts to the Hot Dog Community .

I will say it was very busy , with a line almost out the door . All types of patrons , local mechanics , EMS Medics , suit and ties , you name it .

Small building off Rt. 9w a few tables and counter seats .

I will offer a complete report on both trips after the second one .

Benzee
Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/08/26 23:34:46 (permalink)
Hello all ,

I visited Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh for a second time this past Wed. , this time just before the lunch time rush and had a much better experience than the first .

I will give everyone a full report in the next few days as I'm a little busy right now with some other endeavors.

Hey Brooklyn Bill , you won't be dissapointed when I put this report together , just hang in there a few more days .

Benzee
Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/09/05 16:57:34 (permalink)
Hello all ,

I added my Petes Hot Dogs Newburgh Mini Trip Report as a new thread .

We have 26 now paid for the Jersey Dog Tour on the 17th .

A few more that are sending in checks this week .

Benzee
Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/09/07 08:53:31 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Alesrus and Aleswench you are all set . payment received.

Mrs Benzee and I are visiting AC and Philly for two days and may stop at the Galloping Hill Inn of Exit #138 on the way .

The Atlantic City Subs may be a stop , and also a possible Cheesesteak place in Philly.

Hope to do a little trip report when I return .

Benzee
Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/09/09 16:43:35 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Have just returned .

Galloping Hill Inn , White House Subs and Pats Cheesesteaks .
Jersey Dogs , AC Subs , Philly Cheesesteaks
3 days , 3 fabulous establishments .

Signman and Ellen you are all set .
Sonjaab you are all set

Benzee
Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/09/13 20:18:40 (permalink)
Hello all ,

We had to make a few intinerary changes .
John found out Frank and Fries is not presently open , so we had to drop the establishment from the tour .

We have added Jerrys Famous Franks and Tommys Italian Dogs in Elizabeth and are located right next to each other .

We also dropped Karl Ehmers due to logisitics and will finish at Rutts Hutt before returning to GHI .

So to summarize , we added two and dropped two . Same amount of establishments and stops .

Thanks to John Fox for keeping up on these places and letting them all know we will be visiting .

Hey Lou , the tour shirt will now be a collectible and perhaps a trivia question 5 years from now on Roadfood.

Benzee
Benzee
RE: 2005 Hot Dog Tours 2005/09/15 23:41:14 (permalink)
bump it up
yahoo !! Sat is almost here

Benzee
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1