Take Care,
Fieldthistle
P.S. let's review this thread Dec. 31, 2006 and see
how wise we were.

27 Replies Related Threads

Fieldthistle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/01 12:48:38 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Okay, I'll start... and forgive me if some of these predictions are already happening.
    1. People will continue to eat (a winner prediction, I believe)
    2. The 23-28ish age consumer will decide they want a "home-cooking" fare
    at trendy chain restaurants.
    3. Beef products will rise in demand. New beef dishes will be created and the older
    stand-by dishes will become the eater's choice, and with that the veggie side-dishes that go
    well with beef.
    4. If the avian flu transfers to humans in the U.S., be prepared for a massive campaign
    about how properly handled and cooked poultry is not a health hazard, (which is true), but
    a quarter to a third of consumers will flee from poultry products.
    5. If #4 happens, did someone say, SEAFOOD. Seafood demand will rise and so will prices.
    Time to start that commercial fish pond in Kansas now.
    6. Higher prices at fast food chains, followed by a fall off fast food business, followed by
    low-priced specials. Franchise-owners will revolt and demand more of a say in the industry.
    Some will go on their own and start road-food restaurants. Price remain up, food quality remains
    relatively mediocre.
    7. Watch out for sugar, fruits, etc. and oil prices to go nutty if Castro gets sick or dies. We may find
    tough times with some of our caribbean and southern hemisphere neighbors, especially Venezuela, as
    the Venezualan president is the heir-apparent to Castro politically and will demand that Castro's Cuba
    does not become a colony of the U.S., but rather a colony of Venezuela.
    8. Look to Africa for new ethnic healthy food, says my daughter, Jennifer. (give her credit if it comes true)
    9. People will rediscover the joy of good conversation and eating slower over meals, making romantic meals and
    business deals a speciality for some restaurants.
    10. Local governments will continue to rely on food taxes to help them with revenues. If you have no food tax
    now, expect one. If you have one, expect to see a raise of 1 to 3 cents on the dollar. (no brainer)
    And lastly, look to our brethren to the north, Canada, to add some dishes to our tables. Canada is a vast country and
    could add some zest to our menus. It's not just maple syrup.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7896
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/01 13:27:25 (permalink)
    Ok, lets see
    1- That all the national and regional chains will go out of business
    2- That all the Road Food gems that all seemed to croak at once over the last 10 years will simultaneously come back to life
    3- All the tourists that all of a sudden decided to head up to Maine(again all during the last 10 years) will snub the $35.00 lobster dinners initiated by the marketing scammers up in Boston and we'll all have $10 twin lobster dinners again without the pathetic untrue excuse that "lobsters have been scarce this past year"
    --------------
    Hey, I can dream can't I

Happy New Years!!!!
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/01 13:29:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    And lastly, look to our brethren to the north, Canada, to add some dishes to our tables

Poutine and back bacon sandwiches on brown toast?
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3737
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/01 14:09:34 (permalink)
    I predict that as more and more people are going out to eat more often that they will grow sick of going to the "tried and true" comfortable chain restaurants ,where they do not have to think and do not have to "worry' about what they are going to get,and that they will become more adventuresome and seek out restaurants that are not part of a chain.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3308
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/01 15:20:48 (permalink)
    If and when the federal government substantiates the Chicago Tribune's report about the toxic levels of mercury pollution in fish, the retail sales of larger fish(canned/fresh tuna & salmon), will rapidly decline. Just like Marvin Gaye's song, "Fish full of mercury/Oh mercy, mercy me." Meat sales will rapidly increase and McDonald's will market a Filet-O-Beef sandwich(a golden, crispy, deep fried burger with American cheese, and special tartar sauce on a toasted bun)that will look and taste exactly like their Filet-O-Fish sandwich.

CSD
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/01 17:02:05 (permalink)
    I predict that at our State Fair in Aug. you will be able to buy SOME NEW DESSERT that is deep fried!

Butch
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/01 17:02:06 (permalink)
    Between playing with plant and animal genetics, chemicals added, fuel costs, etc.. There will be a bigger trend to homegrown foods (veggies, fruits, poultry). I've noticed a big increase at our local farmers market this past summer, and I think the trend will continue on. As I've mentioned before, if you have a sunny backyard, why not convert the entire space into a productive garden? Might be a little work canning the produce, but well worth it in the long run.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/01 18:58:00 (permalink)
    Hmmm, 2006 looks like it has potential for being a busy year !

Now entering their 5th growing season, some of my fruit trees will bear a decent crop this year...Sweet cherries (Starkspur Yellow and some Bing-like dark sweets) The Fuji, Yellow Delicious, Rome Beauties and Mitsu(sp?) Apples and the Apricots (if ever) and Plums-Santa Rosa and Ozark should deliver if my pruning this winter hasn't been too heavy.
    Apples- Granny Smith (2 and 3 year olds) Arkansas Black and Prairie Spie (5th year but slow to fruit), Pie Cherries and Asian Pears (4th year) may do some but probably just a small crop.

In another arena, You can count on the folks who feel obligated to demand things of others (The Food Police) to be active this year. New regulations that will make the growers and producers of food products that have any relationship to human allergy-causing aliments will restrict those items (ie- peanut butter, eggs, Spam, Fish oils, and a whole bunch of others) and their sale to Adult, English Speakers/Readers with Doctor's Perscriptions in hand).

The USA will become a Totally Smoke-Free site. This will cause a major traffic jam at border points as Addicted Americans rush to take their lunch breaks in Mexico and Canada. In areas too far removed from the border points, Victims of the new law will resort to violence to 'vent' their frustration and the nicotine "Bends" by increased crimes of violence and "Road Rage". Oral Nicotine use will increase as will "Pleasure Patches" and other methods of imbibing the product. Employees of the companies that produce these various products will expand their sales in Overseas Markets where Freedom of Choice apparently still remains.

Closer to reality, Several Roadfood gatherings will occur during the coming year. The BBQ group meeting in February is less than 8 weeks away at this point. That will be at the Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro, Kentucky. The Hot-Dog Ride in New Jersey is on the Agenda. Hopefully another Crab-Cake Meeting in the Spring will be in the Works. I think the Texans need to organize a BBQ tour of the Austin/San Antonio and vicinity BBQ places...

The Mayor and his Bride and the Wonder Dog Circus Act will be involved in a 5 week Road trip in May-June that includes the Western U S A. Plans are forming and new places to explore are on the list for inclusion. We want to be home to see the deer eat our fruit this year, so May will be the prime travel month for this ride.

There are more items to be added as they develope.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/01 22:38:00 (permalink)
    Deep fried cincinnati style chili, sided with steamed goetta
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/01 22:46:56 (permalink)
    Doesn't Cincinnati chili belong in the chain discussions?
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/01 22:51:27 (permalink)
    nah.

there are plenty of non-chains that serve the stuff - like my personal favorite,[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=513&RefID=513']Blue Ash Chili[/url] - and plenty made in people's homes as well.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/01 23:08:52 (permalink)
    TJ,
    I went with your link to the Blue Ash. It looks like quite the joint to eat at. I can't imagine gravy and/or cheese on french frys, but the next time I visit my brother-in-law, I'll give a try.
    Now whats this about mustard on a fully dressed coney dog; don't they mean ketchup?
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/02 12:24:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

TJ,
    I went with your link to the Blue Ash. It looks like quite the joint to eat at. I can't imagine gravy and/or cheese on french frys, but the next time I visit my brother-in-law, I'll give a try.
    Now whats this about mustard on a fully dressed coney dog; don't they mean ketchup?
    Nope.

By default, a cincinnati style coney (chili dog to the rest of the world) is bun then mustard then dog then chili then (somewhat optional) chopped onion. same with the far-more-popular cheese coney (chili dog topped with finely shredded mild cheddar cheese)

Most places, the person taking your order will know to specifically ask you if you want mustard and/or onions. Not all do, tho, and if it goes unmentioned the assumption will generally be you want mustard and onions.

Always best to specify what you want.....

You'll get funny looks if you ask for catsup on a coney. I'm pretty sure every chili parlor has catsup packets availale for the occasional sale of a plain hot dog to a fussy but hungy tyke, so just ask for some packets if the mood so strikes you.
    Burgerman1
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/04 17:23:12 (permalink)
    My perdictions for 2006...

1) Gasoline prices will remain high and cut into the family's budget of eating out. Most of the sufferage will be a lunch time as people will still try to do the family thing during dinner and on the weekends.

2) More price wars between the big 3 fast food chains.

3) More chain-style family restaurants appearing in a market near you.

4) Independents will still struggle, refusing to to band together for group purchasing and adveritising.

5) The topic of raising the minimum wage will come up again. If this passes the restaurant industry will suffer greatly with independents going under and chains being forced to do more with less.

6) Restaurant wholesale prices will increase, due to maintained higher shipping costs.

7) Chain restaurants will advertise more during your favorite television show and will often do back-to-back commercials just to irritate the viewers.

8) When chain restaurants aren't advertising, car dealers will advertise in the void spaces with some obnoxious pitch-man that will try to convince you that you deserve his/her car today. Again, less money available for restaurants.

9) There will be a political scandal this year. LOL

And finally 10) Walmart will build new stores this year.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/05 22:36:24 (permalink)
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/06 05:42:55 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Thanks, UncleVic, for the sauerkraut article. I love kraut on hamburgers!
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/06 21:23:53 (permalink)
    quote:

I LOVE sauerkraut!
    It's about time it made the headlines.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/17 18:17:43 (permalink)
    I just came across this in my inbox today.
    This is what Kraft is saying for 2006 food tastes...

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/FoodandFamily/Winter_2006/Top5Flavorsfor2006.htm?e=email

Citrus, Salsa, Shrimp, Chocolate and Caramel...
    Hmm...
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/23 22:59:25 (permalink)
    My predictions for culinary trends of 2006

1. Invest in Armour Foods now , folks. Potted Meat Product and Vienna Sausages are going to be the latest diet revolution. The now de riguer Atkins displays of "healthy" Pork Rinds and "No carb" Breyers Triple Oooey Gooey Chocolate Sin Caramel Ribbon Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Ice Cream displays that greet one as you walk into your favorite supermarket will be replaced by trembling pyramids of these miniature canned wonders. This phenomenon will be due to a discovery made by researchers at Tufts University(you know.......the college of choice for all Prevention magazine staffers) that the "Variety meat" ingredient listed on those little blue papered cans is the panacaea for most human ills. Based on the results involving research of a control group of bachelors, rednecks(I'm a redneck so it's perfectly pc for me to utter that), and innocent children who can't read labels yet, Variety meats can cure diabetes, eradicate impotence, enhance the female BIG O, stomp out heart disease, cure male pattern baldness, eliminate female hirsuitism, cure halitosis and irritable bowel syndrome, raise the intelligence level of politicians and Anna Nicole Smith, and wipe away unsightly cellulite and wrinkles and best of all, cause completely healthy weight loss of up to 20 lbs per week with no exercise. I am told, that due to some insider information that both the Sterns and Grampy have received from unnamed sources(hush now, Martha)that both parties plan on coming out with variety meat cookbooks sometime early this spring.

2. Pickled Eggs will become the trendy food of Hollywood films. In our ever increasingly politically correct world and the bowing of the Hollywood studios to pressure to decrease the influence of alcohol and tobacco, the once glamorous martini will be replaced by beet-hued pickled eggs. Instead of "Why don't you have a drink and calm down?" it will be"Why don't you go suck a couple eggs and calm down?" Likewise, celery sticks with peanut butter stuffing and raisins on top will replace the noxious cigarette /and or cigar. In the new James Bond series of films, 007 will no longer gallantly offer to light the heroine of the day's cancer stick, but will offer instead to add a few "ants" to her"log".

3. In a 6.500 page report conducted by the Cladiddlehopper Commission , by the order of President Bush, their findings will show that the Martians, the Soviet Union and the Nestle's Corporation of France DID plant data recording disks for ingestion in all American Swanson TV dinners in the 60's and 87 percent of the US population will be under suspicion for selling state secrets. Stouffer's will corner the frozen dinner market with their "No Disks, No Risks" advertising campaign.

Badda bing, badda boom
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18641
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/24 13:05:11 (permalink)

I'll have you know I resemble those predictions.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/24 14:28:28 (permalink)
    Pizzas made with cincinnati-style chili in place of the traditional tomato sauces.

These will only be available through automats, though.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/01/24 15:54:44 (permalink)
    1. Low carb diets are out
    2. High fat diets are out
    3. Dairy diets are out
    4. Any diets which require extreme physical workouts are out
    5. Any "chain" diets are out
    6. Vegan diets are out

The new fad is,,,,,,

Water diets
    emhahn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/02/01 10:45:14 (permalink)
    I predict the following:

Hispanic foods will continue to do very well.

Asian fused foods will continue to do well.

And I'll step a bit further, I think there's going to be an emergence in New Orleans style or Bayou cousine either this year or next year.

Eric
    [url]www.RestaurantEdge.com[/url]
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/02/01 14:07:18 (permalink)
    I predict that:

1. The population of Chinese buffets will decrease and we'll see a return of menus at Chinese restaurants;

2. McDonalds will come out with some new mega hamburger;

3. Pizza wars will increase among the chains;

4. More Burger Kings will close;

5. The population of Mexican restaurants will continue to grow, and unfortunately many of them will be dull and Americanized;

6. More Long John Silvers will close as people tire of the now soggy fish;

7. The Greek or will become popular;

8. The tomato crop will be bad again this year;

9. More people will be interested in cooking and eating at home.

Andrea
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/02/01 14:11:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AndreaB

7. The Greek or will become popular;

Andrea

I meant the Greek "diet" will become popular. I am not on it, but it's just a guess!
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1355
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/02/02 13:38:46 (permalink)
    What is the Greek diet? Is it really a diet, or do you mean just eating Greek food? That I could go for!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: 2006-Predict the year's food fads or direction 2006/02/02 16:22:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mbrookes

What is the Greek diet? Is it really a diet, or do you mean just eating Greek food? That I could go for!

I tried to find some info on it, but could only find interviews and offers to buy the book.. I am sure that olive oil has a major part in this diet.

Dolmas for me! I love those!
    http://www.superluminal.com/cookbook/small_dolmas.html
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1