The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 46
Author Message
Stephen Rushmore Jr.

2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Sat, 12/8/07 6:27 PM (permalink)
The Saturday Eating Tour has sold out, but tickets are still available for Friday Night at Threadgill's:

Registered users of Roadfood.com can purchase here:
http://www.roadfood.com/MyRoadfood/store/austineatingtour/friday.aspx
 
#1
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.

    RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Sat, 12/8/07 6:29 PM (permalink)
    To help compensate for the extra cost of the Saturday tour, I have arranged special rates for participants at the Sheraton Austin Hotel, which is a great place to stay. Standard rate is $359 per night. Roadfood tour people can book a room for $109/$119 (single/double) per night! Here's where to do so:

    http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/booking/reservation?id=0712074483&key=74D69
     
    #2
      desertdog

      • Total Posts: 1946
      • Joined: 5/24/2006
      • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
      RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Sat, 12/8/07 6:51 PM (permalink)

      That is an awesome deal! Thanks Stephan.

      Hope to see you there.


      DD


       
      #3
        ChiTownDiner

        RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Tue, 12/11/07 10:40 AM (permalink)
        Stephen - Is the room rate only good for Friday and Saturday? I am trying to book Wednesday and Thursday but it locks me out. Gregg
         
        #4
          The Travelin Man

          • Total Posts: 3698
          • Joined: 3/25/2003
          • Location: Central FL
          RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Tue, 12/11/07 11:06 AM (permalink)
          While I am unfortunately not able to attend this get-together, I did want to offer my own personal review of the Sheraton in Austin. I stayed there this past fall while attending a conference in Austin, and will say that it is a fine business/upscale hotel. It is a re-flagged Marriott property that was undergoing a full renovation when I was there in October. The rooms will all be fitted with nice flat-screen TVs and the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds, which are quite nice. Our room had a view of the Capital, which is well-lit at night. I believe that there might be a charge for parking there. It is located on the outskirts of downtown (near the UT campus), but I found it to be an easy walk to the Sixth Street entertainment district. Threadgills would be a bit of a hike, but taxis in Austin are not expensive (I don't know if there will be a bus provided for that event). Also, Stubb's BBQ is within easy walking distance. It makes for a nice hangout - though the BBQ is not on par with what you will have in Lockhart or Taylor the following day. Hoover's Cooking is just on the other side of UT and might warrant a taxi ride, too. It was easily one of my Top 10 meals that I had this year!

          All in all, for the price, the Sheraton is a quality stay. If you are looking at other options outside of downtown, I have stayed at the Marriott on the north side, which is actually in Round Rock. It is nice, and usually available a little cheaper on weekends. I have also stayed at the Marriott on the south side, by the Austin airport - it, too, usually runs a few dollars less. For me, it wouldn't be about the money - just which points I would rather accumulate!
           
          #5
            Stephen Rushmore Jr.

            RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Tue, 12/11/07 12:32 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

            Stephen - Is the room rate only good for Friday and Saturday? I am trying to book Wednesday and Thursday but it locks me out. Gregg
            Yes, it is only for Friday and Saturday nights.
             
            #6
              Stephen Rushmore Jr.

              RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Tue, 12/11/07 1:25 PM (permalink)
              As of 1:20 PM, the Eating Tour has 1 seat available and Friday night has 40 spots remaining. A quick glance at the attendee list shows many repeats. It's going to be great to see familiar faces!
               
              #7
                Twinwillow

                • Total Posts: 4898
                • Joined: 4/15/2006
                • Location: "Big D"
                RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Tue, 12/11/07 1:45 PM (permalink)
                Yay!!! I got one of the last 4 tickets for the tour! See you all in Austin for the tour and the evening at Threadgill's.
                 
                #8
                  ChiTownDiner

                  RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Tue, 12/11/07 2:03 PM (permalink)
                  We're in for three each night as well as the Sheraton. Thanks for arranging all this Stephen!
                   
                  #9
                    ChiTownDiner

                    RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Tue, 12/11/07 2:04 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by The Travelin Man

                    While I am unfortunately not able to attend this get-together, I did want to offer my own personal review of the Sheraton in Austin. I stayed there this past fall while attending a conference in Austin, and will say that it is a fine business/upscale hotel. It is a re-flagged Marriott property that was undergoing a full renovation when I was there in October. The rooms will all be fitted with nice flat-screen TVs and the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds, which are quite nice. Our room had a view of the Capital, which is well-lit at night. I believe that there might be a charge for parking there. It is located on the outskirts of downtown (near the UT campus), but I found it to be an easy walk to the Sixth Street entertainment district. Threadgills would be a bit of a hike, but taxis in Austin are not expensive (I don't know if there will be a bus provided for that event). Also, Stubb's BBQ is within easy walking distance. It makes for a nice hangout - though the BBQ is not on par with what you will have in Lockhart or Taylor the following day. Hoover's Cooking is just on the other side of UT and might warrant a taxi ride, too. It was easily one of my Top 10 meals that I had this year!

                    All in all, for the price, the Sheraton is a quality stay. If you are looking at other options outside of downtown, I have stayed at the Marriott on the north side, which is actually in Round Rock. It is nice, and usually available a little cheaper on weekends. I have also stayed at the Marriott on the south side, by the Austin airport - it, too, usually runs a few dollars less. For me, it wouldn't be about the money - just which points I would rather accumulate!


                    Travelin Man - As I am coming down a few days early to get a tatse of things...I appreciate the information - Thanks!
                     
                    #10
                      Sundancer7

                      RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Tue, 12/11/07 3:00 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by The Travelin Man

                      While I am unfortunately not able to attend this get-together, I did want to offer my own personal review of the Sheraton in Austin. I stayed there this past fall while attending a conference in Austin, and will say that it is a fine business/upscale hotel. It is a re-flagged Marriott property that was undergoing a full renovation when I was there in October. The rooms will all be fitted with nice flat-screen TVs and the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds, which are quite nice. Our room had a view of the Capital, which is well-lit at night. I believe that there might be a charge for parking there. It is located on the outskirts of downtown (near the UT campus), but I found it to be an easy walk to the Sixth Street entertainment district. Threadgills would be a bit of a hike, but taxis in Austin are not expensive (I don't know if there will be a bus provided for that event). Also, Stubb's BBQ is within easy walking distance. It makes for a nice hangout - though the BBQ is not on par with what you will have in Lockhart or Taylor the following day. Hoover's Cooking is just on the other side of UT and might warrant a taxi ride, too. It was easily one of my Top 10 meals that I had this year!

                      All in all, for the price, the Sheraton is a quality stay. If you are looking at other options outside of downtown, I have stayed at the Marriott on the north side, which is actually in Round Rock. It is nice, and usually available a little cheaper on weekends. I have also stayed at the Marriott on the south side, by the Austin airport - it, too, usually runs a few dollars less. For me, it wouldn't be about the money - just which points I would rather accumulate!


                      Travelin Man. I have stayed at the Marriot in Round Rock many times. The Courtyard and Springhill Suites. They are cheaper but I am not sure that they are any better rate than what Stephen has arranged at the Sheraton.

                      Your experience sounds real good to me and I particularly like the idea of staying in the downtown area. I am glad you have been there and I appreciate you report.

                      Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN
                       
                      #11
                        Twinwillow

                        • Total Posts: 4898
                        • Joined: 4/15/2006
                        • Location: "Big D"
                        RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Tue, 12/11/07 3:11 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by twinwillow

                        Yay!!! I got one of the last 4 tickets for the tour! See you all in Austin for the tour and the evening at Threadgill's.


                        I'm booked at the Sheraton as well for the 25th & 26th. I'll enjoy that more than staying with my son and his girl friend in Austin.
                         
                        #12
                          The Travelin Man

                          • Total Posts: 3698
                          • Joined: 3/25/2003
                          • Location: Central FL
                          RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Tue, 12/11/07 3:11 PM (permalink)
                          If you can only get the room for Friday and Saturday nights, you might consider another place on the north side of town (i.e. the Marriott), if you don't mind moving once. There are a number of great places in areas like Georgetown and Hutto that are not included on the Saturday tour. Heck, Bushie showed me[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12520&whichpage=2']this place[/url] (scroll down a little ways to my trip report) the last time I was in town, and I would say that it is worth the drive! If you don't want to drop the coin on the Marriott, I think that there is a Wingate and a few other chain hotels up in that area. Al the Mayor, Sundancer, and Rick F. (I think) all stayed up that way the last time we were in town last Feb. and might have some more suggestions.
                           
                          #13
                            Twinwillow

                            • Total Posts: 4898
                            • Joined: 4/15/2006
                            • Location: "Big D"
                            RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Tue, 12/11/07 3:13 PM (permalink)
                            Btw, you can add $16.00 and change for taxes to that $109.00 (single) special rate.
                             
                            #14
                              buffetbuster

                              RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Tue, 12/11/07 6:28 PM (permalink)
                              Wow! I can't believe how quickly the tour sold out today. Happy to say my cousin and I got our tickets for the tour and the get together at Threadgill's.

                              We are booked for the Sheraton, but for Friday night only. After the tour Saturday, we have to drive back to Houston for an early flight Sunday morning.
                               
                              #15
                                mr chips

                                • Total Posts: 4715
                                • Joined: 2/19/2003
                                • Location: portland, OR
                                RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Tue, 12/11/07 6:36 PM (permalink)
                                Bummer. I got tickets to Threadgills but will probably follow along in my rental car on Saturday because i don't have internet access at work anymore Thus is life.
                                 
                                #16
                                  buffetbuster

                                  RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Tue, 12/11/07 11:07 PM (permalink)
                                  mr chips-
                                  I'm sorry to read you didn't get a ticket to the tour. Hopefully, one will open up and you can still join us on the bus.
                                   
                                  #17
                                    ellen4641

                                    • Total Posts: 3531
                                    • Joined: 5/1/2004
                                    • Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                    RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Tue, 12/11/07 11:57 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by twinwillow

                                    Btw, you can add $16.00 and change for taxes to that $109.00 (single) special rate.


                                    plus a valet and/or self parking charge?
                                     
                                    #18
                                      ellen4641

                                      • Total Posts: 3531
                                      • Joined: 5/1/2004
                                      • Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                      RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Tue, 12/11/07 11:58 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by mr chips

                                      Bummer. I got tickets to Threadgills but will probably follow along in my rental car on Saturday because i don't have internet access at work anymore Thus is life.


                                      looks like we might have a caravan of tag-alongs..
                                      as I got shut out already , as well...

                                      any chance of a 2nd bus?
                                       
                                      #19
                                        Twinwillow

                                        • Total Posts: 4898
                                        • Joined: 4/15/2006
                                        • Location: "Big D"
                                        RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Wed, 12/12/07 12:01 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by ellen4641

                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by twinwillow

                                        Btw, you can add $16.00 and change for taxes to that $109.00 (single) special rate.


                                        plus a valet and/or self parking charge?


                                        Not sure about the parking situation. But being it's a hotel, one guess about the parking charges.
                                         
                                        #20
                                          Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

                                          • Total Posts: 1350
                                          • Joined: 7/12/2000
                                          • Location: Robbinsville, NJ
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Wed, 12/12/07 12:33 AM (permalink)
                                          FYI - Frommer's website says the parking rates are $12 for self-park and $17 for valet (I assume those are per day charges). If you need to know for sure I'd recommend calling them directly.
                                           
                                          #21
                                            Twinwillow

                                            • Total Posts: 4898
                                            • Joined: 4/15/2006
                                            • Location: "Big D"
                                            RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Wed, 12/12/07 1:07 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

                                            FYI - Frommer's website says the parking rates are $12 for self-park and $17 for valet (I assume those are per day charges). If you need to know for sure I'd recommend calling them directly.


                                            As usual, another hotel rip-off!
                                             
                                            #22
                                              flash407

                                              • Total Posts: 1
                                              • Joined: 5/2/2007
                                              • Location: Bolton, MA
                                              RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Wed, 12/12/07 8:23 AM (permalink)
                                              will the caravan of drivers be a reality. if so, i am in with y'all.
                                               
                                              #23
                                                ellen4641

                                                • Total Posts: 3531
                                                • Joined: 5/1/2004
                                                • Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                                RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Wed, 12/12/07 8:48 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by flash407

                                                will the caravan of drivers be a reality. if so, i am in with y'all.


                                                YES, it looks likes it will be a reality!!

                                                These tickets sold out faster than a Hannah Montana concert!

                                                P.S. Anybody got a big SUV?!?! We can load it up, and all share gas expenses, etc...
                                                 
                                                #24
                                                  The Travelin Man

                                                  • Total Posts: 3698
                                                  • Joined: 3/25/2003
                                                  • Location: Central FL
                                                  RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Wed, 12/12/07 8:49 AM (permalink)
                                                  My boss had the rental car on his bill, so I did not see the parking charges. There are not too many downtown areas where you will not be charged for parking, so, all things considered $12 isn't all that bad.
                                                   
                                                  #25
                                                    buffetbuster

                                                    RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Wed, 12/12/07 8:57 AM (permalink)
                                                    I hate paying for parking at a hotel, but is standard if it is located in the downtown area of a city. I can tell you I have paid much more than $12.00 a night in New York and Chicago.
                                                     
                                                    #26
                                                      goodeater

                                                      • Total Posts: 3
                                                      • Joined: 7/13/2007
                                                      • Location: everett, MA
                                                      RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Wed, 12/12/07 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                                      the leanks provided do not allow me to even buy a ticket; i have tried to contact people at roadfood and have had no reply. i have paid for a membership at pay pal which was another hassle., now i reading that there are no tickets left this is adding up to a not so nice experience, can some one help. the links in the news letter do not work and the links on the web sight for the road trip sight do not work. even the links in the forum ge me to a sight that says sorry for roadfood insiders only; i have my recceipt and really would like to know what is going on, please someone help!
                                                       
                                                      #27
                                                        Stephen Rushmore Jr.

                                                        RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Wed, 12/12/07 10:55 AM (permalink)
                                                        Goodeater - I received a message from someone, but they never left an email or username, so I couldn't respond - perhaps it was you. The reason you don't have access is because you paid with an eCheck, and that takes several business days to clear (as mentioned on the sign-up page). As a courtesy, I will give you access with the assumption that the check will clear.
                                                         
                                                        #28
                                                          Twinwillow

                                                          • Total Posts: 4898
                                                          • Joined: 4/15/2006
                                                          • Location: "Big D"
                                                          RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Wed, 12/12/07 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                                          First, welcome to Roadfood.com.
                                                          This is without a doubt, the very BEST forum on the web.
                                                          Don't give up hope. Stick with us. You will find it's worth the time. Especially if you are a real "food nut" like most of us here. Everything requires a "learning curve". This place is no different. But, well worth it.
                                                           
                                                          #29
                                                            buffetbuster

                                                            RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information Wed, 12/12/07 11:02 AM (permalink)
                                                            goodeater-
                                                            Welcome to Roadfood and we hope to see you in Austin!
                                                             
                                                            #30
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 46

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com