2009 GLEE CLUB Memphis Meet-Up

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 22
Author
susanll
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1077
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/22 17:42:46 (permalink)
mayor al

I really appreciate the efforts being made to report the various stops and points of view expressed by many folks who participated in this weekend. Rather than just one 'travel report', The way this thread is going we are able to see thru the eyes of several people, not only the main stops on the tour, but a large number of "other spots" that really give some depth to the visit!  There are still more to come! We need to get TTM busy and I am looking forward to reading Chris and Amy's adventures as well.

Here's another teaser from TTM's  first round of photos. The group  as seen from his table at Cozy Corner.

Clockwise from the left-- Wandering Jew, Iwanago, Janet, Poverty Pete,  Mayor Al, Sundancer, Bob-NoCarolina, and Ayersian (Chris)

Notice no one is eating pork sandwichs.  I had hinted earlier about an odd thing at Cozy Corner, but now I am going to out it.   We were ordering at 11:30/11:45 and they were out of PORK!  How do you do that? Al(Mayor) had called and they knew a large group was coming.  I was not crazy about the Cornish Hen and Ribs that were available.  So, as a local, I was not impressed and felt bad that those who wanted to sample the pork shoulder couldn't.  Only negative comment about the lunch.  The company was great.  
susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/22 17:44:46 (permalink)
nocarolina

Boy, I wish I had known that my picture was being taken. I sure wouldn't have been sitting there licking sauce off my hand if I'd seen that camera pointed at me. This is downright 'barrassing!

Bob, that is the greatest compliment you can give to any grillmaster. 
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2295
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/22 18:03:25 (permalink)
I second Dale's judgment on the fish and the cole slaw at the Catfish Hotel.  In my experience, catfish doesn't get any better than what we had that afternoon.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7738
Re:2009 GLEE CLUB Memphis Meet-Up 2009/02/22 20:20:22 (permalink)
Friday February 13 continued

I haven't made much mention of the actual driving portion of the trip.....
After I told Poverty Pete that I work for a specific insurance company (the name of which has been intentionally left out to protect the innocent- ME!!) he subjected me to approximately 5 hours of CONSERVATIVE TALK RADIO. I must say that Poverty Pete has quite a "diverse" taste in music, however when we approached hwy 82 in Mississippi crossing over I-55 we were officially entering the delta, and I deliberately brought my Mississippi blues CD just for the occasion for the rest of the ride into Greenville and on up to Memphis on Saturday.

After arriving in Greenville and checking into our motel, Mayor Al and his lovely bride Janet met us there and followed us to  our first official "Glee Club" stop Doe's.

Imagine my surprise when Chi-Town Diner and brother Kerry arrived with Buffetbuster and Cousin Johnny. I'm still somewhat miffed at Buffetbuster for letting The Travelin Man in on the secret and not me!

I'm not going to add much detail- just that everything was fantastic-

The mini delta style Tamales,

The zesty gumbo which was chockfull of shell fish.

The broiled and fried shrimp, which I'm sure others have photos of

And if THESE french fried potatoes were served with the catfish lunch we had earlier in the day then the score for the entire day would have been "100" instead of 99.

However the piece de resistance was the 3 lb porterhouse I shared with Carolina Bob. One big hunka' well marbled protein served "medium"

This ain't no Longhorn Steakhouse- this is the REAL DEAL!

I probably had close to a pound and a quarter of meat- Carolina Bob probably finished off a pound. What was left went to Al's Scottish Terriers who were patiently waiting in the back of Al's vehicle.

After dinner I was feeling mighty stuffed, we were only about 3 miles from the hotel and a brisk walk would have helped, but I thought twice after surveying the neighborhood we were driving through.

On the way out, these caught my attention.

Just look at these slabs of meat!

And here they are "firin' up" on the broiler

I remember talking to The Travelin Man a few months back- He visited Doe's for for the first time and he told me that this could very well be the best steak he ever had- After my experience at Doe's, I can't 100% say for certain that it was the best steak, but if it isn't...it certainly comes close....

Friday the 13th may be considered an "unlucky day" but it was definetely one of the luckiest Roadfood days that I've had!.

much more to come...
bobs 2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:2009 GLEE CLUB Memphis Meet-Up 2009/02/22 21:27:55 (permalink)
Follow up trip after Glee Club Memphis trip, ChiTown Diner recommended we visit Hot Dougs on our next trip to Chicago and luckily we took his advice!  This past Friday we feasted on the Crawfish dog, the lamb, the bleucheese, the veal, and the Kangaroo along with large order of duck fat fries!  Each was great with table favorites being the crawfish and kangaroo.  Doug seems to be a fan of Memphis and talked about the tragic burning of the original Gus's Fried Chicken and how the new building just isn't the same. Doug was very familiar with all the favorite memphis bbq joints.
Thanks to ChiTown Diner for a good roadfood tip to Hot Dougs!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15213
Re:2009 GLEE CLUB Memphis Meet-Up 2009/02/22 21:31:46 (permalink)
Dale,
  Your coverage of the Friday events was Great! We want to go to Shiloh this Spring sometime...and Catfish will be on the menu for sure!
  Susan, You are correct, I was a bit let down at the pork-loss that Saturday Morning, but the impact of the company and spirit of the meeting sort of covered for whatever was lacking in the 'Que department. I am very glad we had a Doe's visit on Friday and Sunday to leave a lasting impression of excellent food in our minds!
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 900
Re:2009 GLEE CLUB Memphis Meet-Up 2009/02/22 22:44:52 (permalink)
Folks, I can't tell you enough how much we enjoyed hanging out with you all, eating, and taking photos of everyone else's food!  We're still kicking ourselves over missing the Mobile trip last year, but we're definitely making the Glee Club a top priority from now on (I went to college in Charleston, so you can imagine how excited I am over that trip!).  I've got a bunch of logbooks to write from our weekend, but I just posted an article on RF Digest here.  Please check it out and leave comments!

Our only regrets are (1) we should've coordinated earlier to join the splinter groups on their pre-weekend adventures, and (2) we sadly didn't get a chance to converse with everyone.  Thankfully there's always a next time...

For those who have yet to experience the Glee Club: it is addicting, and we are hooked.    Chris
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:2009 GLEE CLUB Memphis Meet-Up 2009/02/23 08:32:33 (permalink)
mayor al

Dale,
  Your coverage of the Friday events was Great! We want to go to Shiloh this Spring sometime...and Catfish will be on the menu for sure!

Al,
I'll wait for others to post about the main events on Saturday, before I add additional photos/comments. Then I'll address the "unofficial post-glee club events of sunday.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2914
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/23 20:53:09 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Chi Town Diner

I'm amazed at the platters of food-however the question is , did you at least share some if it with Kerry, Buffetbuster and Cousin Johnny???

Share?  The previous photos were of buffetbuster's order...I dined on a salad of mixed greens and a light vinegarette!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/23 20:56:50 (permalink)
wanderingjew -

I fell in love with the Henpeck Market some two years ago...I might still be there if i had hooked up with you and Poverty!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/23 21:53:38 (permalink)
Friday, February 13th -

We were up early...and hungry.  Brother Kerry choose to sleep in but for buffetbuster, Cousin Johnny and myself, sunrise meant breakfast.  Memphis is relatively easy to navigate and fairly compact, so we arrived at our destination in under 15 minutes.

Bob's Barksdale Restaurant or the Barksdale.

A small neighborhood joint...

...the American Flag, in a larger than life rendition, sets the tone.

We studied both the breakfast menu...

...and the lunch menu so we could make informed decisions.

We began with a breakfast appetizer of biscuits and gravy.  The biscuits - highly recommended by buffetbuster - were light, airy and fresh from the oven.  The man behind the biscuits even came out to our table by request to receive our congratulations.

Here's a close-up...

...before being dressed.

As you may have guessed, we opted for breakfast, and here is beautiful sausage, bacon and cheese omelet with some mighty fine home fries.  The omelet was cooked perfectly and loaded with fillings.

Add in a little country ham and red-eye gravy....

...some French Toast...

...with bacon and a ham biscuit...and you have the start of a great breakfast.

buffetbuster joined the proprietor for this shot...

...and ChiTownDiner for this one.

A solid breakfast spot with mighty friendly folks, heavenly biscuits and delicious omelets and country ham.

Barksdale Restaurant
237 South Cooper Street
Memphis, TN 38104
Tel: 901-722-2193

After breakfast, we headed back to the hotel and watched everyone partaking in the "free" continental breakfast plus!  We just kept grinning!  It was time for a brotherly show of love...and with that, Brother Kerry was up and at 'em!  An hour later, we were loaded up, checked out...and on the road again.  Next stop, an early mid-morning snack.

At the Wiles - Smith Drug Store, established in 1935...

I think this fellow above our heads came in right after opening...but here's (l-r) Brother Kerry, ChiTownDiner, Cousin Johnny and buffetbuster in the photo take by the proprietor.

We weren't sure what we would order, but we knew it would include ice cream.  Note the offering of beer on the menu!

We started with milk shakes....

Here's the strawberry being poured!!! out of the beaker!

Lime freeze right after serving, note the frost on the beaker...

...and during the pour!

And a cherry shake...

...paired nicely with a grilled cheese and bacon.

Let's see the hot dog lovers try to pick up this chili dog!

Here's the opposite shot from the Roadfood review....

If you're looking for Memphis' oldest independent drug store, you've found it!

Wiles-Smith Drug Store
1635 Union Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104
Tel: 901-278-6416

After our early mid-morning snack, it was time for our late mid-morning snack, and we were just down the road from the Cupboard.  As it was still only 11:00am, we beat the crowd and were seated right away.

You just knew veggies were going to play a part in this order!

We began with a four veggie plate to accompany our six desserts!  Fried green tomatoes started this clockwise rotation, followed by greens, corn pudding and Italian spinach.  The selections were democratically selected with each of us having a selection!

The banana pudding was rich and creamy and loaded with bananas and crumb topping.

Apple cobler was more like stewed apples, but was served hot out of the oven.

The bread pudding was a surprise and as such, was finished first!

But the star of the show was the Lemon Ice Box Pie...

...and required two pieces to satisfy the troops!  Cold, lemony, sweet, delicious!

Cupboard Restaurant
1400 Union Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104
Tel: 901-276-8015

Well, we were fast approaching lunch time...so it was decision time.

Stay tuned for more from day2! 

Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/23 21:58:54 (permalink)
I could just weep for that Barksdale breakfast . . but then you gotta put shakes and lemon pie on top of it?  <sob>
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/23 22:07:15 (permalink)
Wiles is the place on Alton Brown's feasting on asphalt 2, he did the thing with the beaver/muskrat/nutria/porcupine thing stuffed up on the shelf.

CTD

"We began with a four veggie plate to accompany our six desserts!"

That my friend is my new favorite line!

I know you had to watch what you were eating, since you still have 3 lunches and 4 dinners coming up!!  Is this the day you guys hit 12-15 RF places??
post edited by CajunKing - 2009/02/23 22:12:07
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/23 22:07:55 (permalink)
Nancypalooza

I could just weep for that Barksdale breakfast . . but then you gotta put shakes and lemon pie on top of it?  <sob>

Put your dancing shoes on...wait til you see lunch! 

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2009 GLEE CLUB Memphis Meet-Up 2009/02/23 22:14:38 (permalink)
bobs 2

Follow up trip after Glee Club Memphis trip, ChiTown Diner recommended we visit Hot Dougs on our next trip to Chicago and luckily we took his advice!  This past Friday we feasted on the Crawfish dog, the lamb, the bleucheese, the veal, and the Kangaroo along with large order of duck fat fries!  Each was great with table favorites being the crawfish and kangaroo.  Doug seems to be a fan of Memphis and talked about the tragic burning of the original Gus's Fried Chicken and how the new building just isn't the same. Doug was very familiar with all the favorite memphis bbq joints.
Thanks to ChiTown Diner for a good roadfood tip to Hot Dougs!

bobs 2 -

WOW!  That sounds like a great mix...nice job!  Isn't it an amazing selection, and next time you go, it will all be different!  Glad to hear you liked it.  Doug is always so personable.

post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2009/02/23 22:15:46
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/23 22:16:57 (permalink)
Early mid-morning snack? Late mid-morning snack? Wow. I'm trying to think of something funny and appropriate, but I've got nuttin'.....
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2295
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/23 22:45:08 (permalink)
Just wait until they get to Sunday!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/24 07:07:12 (permalink)
Poverty Pete

Just wait until they get to Sunday!

....and on the 7th day, they rested!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10178
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/24 07:18:59 (permalink)
First of all, I would like to formally apologize to ChiTownDiner for dragging him kicking and screaming to all of these places.  The only way I was able to coax him into each restaurant was telling him things like, "You will really enjoy the salads here" or "I read they make the best veggie burger in all of Memphis".
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/24 07:27:20 (permalink)
CajunKing

Wiles is the place on Alton Brown's feasting on asphalt 2, he did the thing with the beaver/muskrat/nutria/porcupine thing stuffed up on the shelf.

CTD

"We began with a four veggie plate to accompany our six desserts!"

That my friend is my new favorite line!

I know you had to watch what you were eating, since you still have 3 lunches and 4 dinners coming up!!  Is this the day you guys hit 12-15 RF places??

Gotta have that roughage....

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/24 07:31:36 (permalink)
As many of you know, buffetbuster swung me over to the Vegan way of life some time ago.  Imagine my surprise to find veggie burgers assembled to look just like pulled pork, BBQ ribs and even pie!  Even pie!  Never seen anything like it!

For the record...happy Fat Tuesday, picked up 71 Pazki's this morning at 5:30am and just finished the first one...a delightful raspberry cheese!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/24 07:36:41 (permalink)
CTD-
You are bringing back such great memories from the meals we ate.  Looking at those wonderful biscuits at Barksdale or the corn pudding at The Cupboard has me wishing we could do it all over again.

Some of you may remember that in a previous trip report from Memphis, I met Ronald, who proudly told me he was the biscuit maker at Barksdale.  When we sat down for breakfast, I asked the waitress if Ronald was working and she told me he was.  I knew then we were in for great biscuits and we were.  Ronald even came out to say hello.  I wish I had my photo taken with him.  I'm not sure why this place doesn't get more attention here on Roadfood, but I think it is the best breakfast place I have eaten in Memphis.

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/24 08:22:50 (permalink)
susanll

nocarolina

Boy, I wish I had known that my picture was being taken. I sure wouldn't have been sitting there licking sauce off my hand if I'd seen that camera pointed at me. This is downright 'barrassing!

Bob, that is the greatest compliment you can give to any grillmaster.

Has everyone counted their fingers since this trip? Are all digits still there?

mark

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/24 08:38:55 (permalink)
Chi Town Diner

My hotel was walking distance from the cupboard, if I had the "capacity" that you guys had  I would have checked the place out in a heartbeat. I really need to return to Memphis and try some "non bbq" which I think is virtually impossible to do in a city with some of the most amazing bbq in the country.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/24 08:42:52 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Chi Town Diner

My hotel was walking distance from the cupboard, if I had the "capacity" that you guys had  I would have checked the place out in a heartbeat. I really need to return to Memphis and try some "non bbq" which I think is virtually impossible to do in a city with some of the most amazing bbq in the country.

WJ, I wish you had called me as I had wheels and would have been glad to join you anywhere you wished to go.

Paul E. smith
Knoxville, TN

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/24 08:43:48 (permalink)
WJ-
Beautiful report so far.  I think these are some of your best photos yet.  After seeing your report on Bolton's, I will have to make it a priority on my next trip to Nashville.  So, just how bad was the neighborhood? 

I'm still trying to get over the idea of you having two lunches on the same day.  What an un-wanderingjew thing to do!  Although, you know I would have found a way to have eaten both the peach cobbler and banana pudding at Swett's.

I liked what the couple said to you at Henpeck MarketThe Catfish Hotel.....  is that where catfish check in, but they don't check out?

Looking forward to your next installements. 

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/24 09:00:50 (permalink)
Sundancer

Thanks for the offer, but the lack of "wheels" werent the issue, it was the lack of a gi-normous appetite which I don't have..It always turns out that my eyes are bigger than my stomach- I guess that's a good thing!

Buffetbuster

I find that Nashville and Memphis are cities I always need to return too. Don't be surprised if I return next February prior to heading to Charleston for next year's Glee Club event!

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15213
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/24 09:02:35 (permalink)
I think I mentioned near the top of this report that it would turn into an Epic Saga like that of Marco Polo or the Leif Erricson 'Rune Stones in Vinland'. This was no 'Weekend at Bernies' Report !  Keep those additions pouring in ! So far I don't recall seeing the Saturday Morning Blue and White Stop.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/24 09:18:37 (permalink)
mayor al

I think I mentioned near the top of this report that it would turn into an Epic Saga like that of Marco Polo or the Leif Erricson 'Rune Stones in Vinland'. This was no 'Weekend at Bernies' Report !  Keep those additions pouring in ! So far I don't recall seeing the Saturday Morning Blue and White Stop.

I still haven't gotten past 11am on Friday!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/24 09:41:21 (permalink)
buffetbuster

[Beautiful report so far.  I think these are some of your best photos yet.  After seeing your report on Bolton's, I will have to make it a priority on my next trip to Nashville.  So, just how bad was the neighborhood? 

I didn't think it was that bad but I seem to have the minority opinion, and I was there during the day.  It's just around the corner from the stadium.  
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 22
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1