2009 GLEE CLUB Memphis Meet-Up

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 22
Author
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3006
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/27 17:45:50 (permalink)
Friday, February 13th continued -

After finishing our late mid-morning snack, it was time for lunch.  We made the short 10 minute ride to Racine Street and the Woman's Industrial Exchange (of Memphis).  Founded Nationally in 1885, it operates as a store displaying and selling items produced by local women.  Co-located is a small tea room serving a very nice lunch from approximately 11:30am - 1:30pm, Monday through Friday.  The tea room is staffed by volunteers who double as shop attendants and servers. 

Arriving, we find this small sign in the parking lot....

...calling attention to this non-descript building.  We really didn't know what to expect....

The inside is a fairly large shop featuring beautiful handmade goods including embroidery, sewn items, art works, ceramics, pottery, books and all kinds of little trinkets.  Here buffetbuster waits his turn at the ordering stand.  A small daily changing menu hangs above the register and after your selection is made and paid for, you are seated at a convenient table.  The one price includes your beverage, meal and tax.  Tipping is not allowed.

This day's menu was almost an exact duplicate of the featured menu on the day the Stern's visited.

Buffetbuster got us started with the Chicken Salad Plate which included strawberry jello, a crustless, quartered pimento cheese sandwich, asparagus appears, fruit salad, potato salad and of course, the main event chicken salad in the middle.

Cousin Johnny had the Vegetable Plate which included turnip greens which were garlicky good, yams, sauteed squash and blackeyed peas.  A fresh tasting cornbread muffin was in the middle.

I had the Seafood Charleston which was a rich, luxurious dish of shrimp and other seafood in a rich sauce over rice.  It was served with a tossed salad and warm, soft yeasty roll.

Here's the side tossed salad with ranch dressing. 

Brother Kerry asked for the Assorted Desserts as his entre, and after much good natured laughing and kidding with the staff, they obliged.  Here's his three course 'Assorted dessert" entre for $5.00!  That's chess pie with the flavored cakes.

We had so much fun in here that the entire staff was taking our pictures of us taking pictures of their food!  Brother Kerry and I were invited to go dancing that night but had to decline due to previous commitments at Doe's.

Here, buffetbuster, ChiTownDiner and Brother Kerry mug for the camera along with the Chef and a few of the friendly women volunteers!  This is a must stop - both for food and fun...and charity to boot! You get a view of the store's expanse, but there is another half to go back around the bend!

Woman's Industrial Exchange of Memphis
88 Racine Street
Memphis, TN 38111
Tel: 901-327-5681

www.womans-exchange.com 

We decided to put Memphis in our rear-view mirror and began the drive south towards Mississippi.  After about 90 minutes of driving, we were in need of a fuel stop...so we pulled into a former Pure Gas Station now called the Blue & White Restaurant in Tunica Mississippi.

Talk about a Roadfood setting, we might not get gas but we were going to get fuel!

As this was just a mid-afternoon snack, we were not spoiling our appetite with something outlandish like this!

Instead we checked the menu and selected simple choices...

...like a chili bacon cheeseburger with onion rings....

...vegetable soup with corn bread...

...and of course, pie!

Pecan...

...and a poorly photographed Coconut Cream, which was devoured before the next photo.

Blue & White Restaurant
1351 Highway 61 North
Tunica, MS 38676
Tel: 662-363-1371

After checking into our hotel, we rested briefly and then made the hour drive to Greenville.  Up next...the Main Event!  

Entry is through the kitchen...a rare occurance.  As soon as you enter the kitchen, the 1200 degree broiler greets you and then you see the meat.

Steaks await their turn for cooking....

Each order grouped by table with prep directions...

I got a tour of the walk-in, and here's one of the chefs holding a 4lb. sirloin!

From cooler to prep table to flame...

Here's the smoke and the sizzle...

Ready to serve....

From the kitchen to the prep room which also had tables in it...and finally to the dining rooms.

The appetizer list was short and sweet...tamales, in 3, 6 or 12.  That's it.

Simple...no corn meal coating as found in northern states.

Second course, salad or....

...gumbo...served over rice, it was rich and full of shrimp.

Here's a 16oz. bone-in filet.

As a side dish, I included a dozen fried shrimp and a dozen Cajun shrimp.  The fried shrimp were the lightest I've ever tasted - absolutely perfect!  The Cajun shrimp were no slouch either.

The filet was cooked a perfect medium rare.

Here's a few steak veterans basking in the afterglow!  While I have been surrounded by friends before, I'm not sure I've ever had that much beef around me on all sides!

Cameras were clicking all night....

While there is no dessert menu, we finished things off with a plate of ice cream candy bars.

With a rich and long history...

Doe's Eat Place is certainly a one of kind!

Doe's Eat Place
502 Nelson Street
Greenville, MS 38701
Tel: 662-334-3315

www.doeseatplace.com

This was a great meal in a true Roadfood environment surround by friends.  We're halfway home...day three coming up soon!

post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2009/02/27 22:25:23
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2314
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/27 23:47:34 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner was gracious enough to offer me one of his grilled shrimp.But as fast as he was packing it in, I was afraid he might mistake my index finger for a shrimp.  I took the risk, anyway. It was a fabulous shrimp.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10425
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/28 05:39:03 (permalink)
We were kind of shocked at what a big hit we were at the Woman's Industrial Exchange.  I don't say this lightly, but they loved us.  At least 8 of the volunteers came over to hello at one point.  They were so surprised that us four out-of-towners would visit, that they took a photo and said we would be in their next newsletter.  They took Kerry's address and said they would send him a copy when it comes out.

Also, I wasn't feeling particularly good on this day.  At one point here, I went into the bathroom, yakked, came back out and kept eating.  Yeah, that is a first even for me.  That is no indication of the food here, because everything was delicious!

CTD was still inside buying Mrs. CTD a gift, while Kerry, Johnny and I waited in the parking lot.  We killed time by chatting with the security guard (they need a security guard here?), that we nicknamed Goldie.  He seemed to only have one tooth in his mouth and it was a golden one.  Anyway, I asked him what is the best bbq in Memphis.  He told me probably the one his son works at, but he isn't allowed to go there because it is owned by his ex-wife and her new husband.  There are a million stories out there, huh?

I do kind of wish CTD and Kerry would have accepted the dance invitations.  Now that would have made it a great trip report!!!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3006
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/28 07:31:03 (permalink)
Poverty Pete

ChiTownDiner was gracious enough to offer me one of his grilled shrimp.But as fast as he was packing it in, I was afraid he might mistake my index finger for a shrimp.  I took the risk, anyway. It was a fabulous shrimp.

Poverty Pete -

Please do not wear any rings next time...they can really slow me down!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/28 11:51:39 (permalink)
Thanks for posting the Gumbo and the Shrimp Photos. It makes comparing the dishes from the two family-owned Does Eat Place (MS and KY) easier! We liked the Gumbo better at the Paducah,KY store. Same 'Soup' but in a bowl it was served much 'warmer' and the presentation was 'better'.

However While the Shrimp at both places looked wonderful, I would give the Cajun Shrimp from Mississippi the edge for the extra 'lemon-spicy' flavor.
Here are our Shrimp at the Paducah DOES-

Compare them to the Greenville Shrimp and you will see how close the two are !

I am very pleased to be able to make a direct comparison of these two outstanding restaurants (within 48 hours). It was an experience I won't forget!
post edited by mayor al - 2009/02/28 12:05:10
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7911
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/28 12:06:01 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

Brother Kerry and I were invited to go dancing that night but had to decline due to previous commitments at Doe's.

Chi Town Diner

I guess we can start calling you "Twinkle Toes" since you're so light on your feet!

That last photo just doesn't look anything like me!

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8498
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/28 12:50:56 (permalink)
Again, Lord have mercy at the wonderful food and friendship!
susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/28 16:59:46 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

Friday, February 13th continued -

After finishing our late mid-morning snack, it was time for lunch.  We made the short 10 minute ride to Racine Street and the Woman's Industrial Exchange (of Memphis).  Founded Nationally in 1885, it operates as a store displaying and selling items produced by local women.  Co-located is a small tea room serving a very nice lunch from approximately 11:30am - 1:30pm, Monday through Friday.  The tea room is staffed by volunteers who double as shop attendants and servers. 

Arriving, we find this small sign in the parking lot....

...calling attention to this non-descript building.  We really didn't know what to expect....

The inside is a fairly large shop featuring beautiful handmade goods including embroidery, sewn items, art works, ceramics, pottery, books and all kinds of little trinkets.  Here buffetbuster waits his turn at the ordering stand.  A small daily changing menu hangs above the register and after your selection is made and paid for, you are seated at a convenient table.  The one price includes your beverage, meal and tax.  Tipping is not allowed.

This day's menu was almost an exact duplicate of the featured menu on the day the Stern's visited.

Buffetbuster got us started with the Chicken Salad Plate which included strawberry jello, a crustless, quartered pimento cheese sandwich, asparagus appears, fruit salad, potato salad and of course, the main event chicken salad in the middle.

Cousin Johnny had the Vegetable Plate which included turnip greens which were garlicky good, yams, sauteed squash and blackeyed peas.  A fresh tasting cornbread muffin was in the middle.

I had the Seafood Charleston which was a rich, luxurious dish of shrimp and other seafood in a rich sauce over rice.  It was served with a tossed salad and warm, soft yeasty roll.

Here's the side tossed salad with ranch dressing. 

Brother Kerry asked for the Assorted Desserts as his entre, and after much good natured laughing and kidding with the staff, they obliged.  Here's his three course 'Assorted dessert" entre for $5.00!  That's chess pie with the flavored cakes.

We had so much fun in here that the entire staff was taking our pictures of us taking pictures of their food!  Brother Kerry and I were invited to go dancing that night but had to decline due to previous commitments at Doe's.

Here, buffetbuster, ChiTownDiner and Brother Kerry mug for the camera along with the Chef and a few of the friendly women volunteers!  This is a must stop - both for food and fun...and charity to boot! You get a view of the store's expanse, but there is another half to go back around the bend!

Woman's Industrial Exchange of Memphis
88 Racine Street
Memphis, TN 38111
Tel: 901-327-5681

www.womans-exchange.com 

We decided to put Memphis in our rear-view mirror and began the drive south towards Mississippi.  After about 90 minutes of driving, we were in need of a fuel stop...so we pulled into a former Pure Gas Station now called the Blue & White Restaurant in Tunica Mississippi.

Talk about a Roadfood setting, we might not get gas but we were going to get fuel!

As this was just a mid-afternoon snack, we were not spoiling our appetite with something outlandish like this!

Instead we checked the menu and selected simple choices...

...like a chili bacon cheeseburger with onion rings....

...vegetable soup with corn bread...

...and of course, pie!

Pecan...

...and a poorly photographed Coconut Cream, which was devoured before the next photo.

Blue & White Restaurant
1351 Highway 61 North
Tunica, MS 38676
Tel: 662-363-1371

After checking into our hotel, we rested briefly and then made the hour drive to Greenville.  Up next...the Main Event!  

Entry is through the kitchen...a rare occurance.  As soon as you enter the kitchen, the 1200 degree broiler greets you and then you see the meat.

Steaks await their turn for cooking....

Each order grouped by table with prep directions...

I got a tour of the walk-in, and here's one of the chefs holding a 4lb. sirloin!

From cooler to prep table to flame...

Here's the smoke and the sizzle...

Ready to serve....

From the kitchen to the prep room which also had tables in it...and finally to the dining rooms.

The appetizer list was short and sweet...tamales, in 3, 6 or 12.  That's it.

Simple...no corn meal coating as found in northern states.

Second course, salad or....

...gumbo...served over rice, it was rich and full of shrimp.

Here's a 16oz. bone-in filet.

As a side dish, I included a dozen fried shrimp and a dozen Cajun shrimp.  The fried shrimp were the lightest I've ever tasted - absolutely perfect!  The Cajun shrimp were no slouch either.

The filet was cooked a perfect medium rare.

Here's a few steak veterans basking in the afterglow!  While I have been surrounded by friends before, I'm not sure I've ever had that much beef around me on all sides!

Cameras were clicking all night....

While there is no dessert menu, we finished things off with a plate of ice cream candy bars.

With a rich and long history...

Doe's Eat Place is certainly a one of kind!

Doe's Eat Place
502 Nelson Street
Greenville, MS 38701
Tel: 662-334-3315

www.doeseatplace.com

This was a great meal in a true Roadfood environment surround by friends.  We're halfway home...day three coming up soon!

Across the street from the Women's Exchange is Amro Music.  We stopped there after we met you at Cozy Corner.  Jocelyn is in the market for a new flute.  That is where we buy all of our instruments.  Those steaks look wonderful.

As an aside, you all picked a great weather weekend to head south.  Right now, I am looking out my window at a major snow event.  At least major for us.  4:00 on Saturday and it looks like about an inch on the ground with another 3 predicted. 
susanll
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/28 19:04:16 (permalink)
A about an inch....we have had four more since then  Notice my pear trees are blooming.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/28 19:10:54 (permalink)
Susan,
  We have Daffodils (shoots) about 4 inches tall but no fruit buds yet. Your snow is passing south of us...just cold and overcast in Louisville. Supposed to be sunny and 35 tomorrow when we meet at Claudia Sanders in Shelbyville,KY.
susanll
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/28 19:42:08 (permalink)
Have a good eating time.  Have a breast  white meat for me.   
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/28 20:02:12 (permalink)

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6466
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/28 22:13:51 (permalink)
I am really wishing I had gone to Memphis instead of FL this year.  This trip does seem like an epic.  It is really fun to see the others chime in after each new addition.

Al

The gumbo looks redder in Paducah than in MS??  is this the lighting or was there that big of difference?

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/28 22:29:47 (permalink)
CK
  I think the lighting, 'fake' wood bowls and dark wood tabletop made a difference. Greenville used Flouresent lights...Paducah had regular light bulbs.
Poverty Pete
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/02/28 23:07:50 (permalink)
It's not over, Don. We haven't even got to Sunday, yet.  I know Buffetbuster had a breakfast, a lunch at an Italian place, and another stop at Interstate on his way out of town.
post edited by Poverty Pete - 2009/02/28 23:09:23
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/03/03 14:02:13 (permalink)
Wow, that is a lot of terrific looking food on one page.  Those steaks look unbelievable.
susanll
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/03/07 17:22:37 (permalink)
This is so funny!  Jocelyn took a school field trip to St Louis this week.  She was showing me her pictures and I found this one.  She even has the location of this sandwich placed by her plate.  She has learned from the greats, when you were here in MEM.

Poverty Pete
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/03/07 19:04:14 (permalink)
That's a nicely composed food photo.  You can now tell Jocelyn she is a published photographer.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10425
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/03/07 19:30:53 (permalink)
Way to go Jocelyn!!!
susanll
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/03/07 19:50:28 (permalink)
However, she said it wasn't very good.  But a pretty picture.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/03/07 21:16:19 (permalink)
A good start to a long history of Roadfood Reports!! She did a fine photo! Congratulations on your public Debut !
post edited by mayor al - 2009/03/07 21:17:28
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/03/07 21:17:57 (permalink)
Is that coarse cut slaw under the barbecue sauce?  I would think that wouldn't be a very good combo either.  It is a lovely picture.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/03/09 05:38:40 (permalink)
The sauce looks a bit odd: more like ketchup than BBQ sauce, maybe too red when I look for a brown tinge. And the slaw I'm used to on such sandwiches is somewhat finer-cut and on top of everything else. I'm not saying I'm locked into that style, just much more accustomed to it.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 903
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/03/10 21:55:33 (permalink)
susanll
This is so funny!  Jocelyn took a school field trip to St Louis this week.  She was showing me her pictures and I found this one.  She even has the location of this sandwich placed by her plate.  She has learned from the greats, when you were here in MEM.

Susan, please tell your lovely daughter that she can come take food photos for us anytime!     Chris

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7911
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/03/10 21:57:22 (permalink)
Ok it looks like it's going to be up to me to complete the report.

I'll add some more photos later on in the week.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/03/11 00:49:20 (permalink)
Thanks Dale.  We look forward to your climax.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3738
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/03/11 08:48:14 (permalink)
mayor al

Thanks Dale.  We look forward to your climax.

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/03/11 09:11:12 (permalink)
Just so you all know.....since it has taken you so long to get your versions of the trip report done, I have almost had time to catch up on my photo editing.  I have still been swamped - but, I am ALMOST there.  There is an outside chance that I may get my version out before the rest of you knuckleheads!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2009/03/15 15:07:46 (permalink)
This has truly been a series of epic reports. This is sort of like a Dickensian 19th century serial, as we eagerly await each new chapter. I wish we had been with you though I suspect sam and i would have been doing a lot of museum hopping had we been there.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
Re:2009 GLEE CLUB Memphis Meet-Up 2009/03/15 17:56:58 (permalink)
This looks like as good a place as any for me to jump in.  With the exception of Mayor Al, most folks aren't even yet up to the organized festivities that took place on Saturday, February 14.  So, though a bit belated, here is some Valentine's love....

I actually arrived the night before, but my flight was a touch late and getting out of the airport was not as easy a task as I had planned.  Therefore, my planned dinner get-together with Rick F., his lovely wife Jan, Sundancer, and Iwanago turned into a quick stop at the hotel bar to catch up with Paul and Roz before we all retired to bed.  The three of us stayed at the downtown Memphis Marriott, which was convenient to the trolley line and located right near the convention center.  It proved to be easy walking distance for me to many of the touristy things in downtown, including Beale Street.

After a rare good night's sleep, buffetbuster called in the morning to abort our breakfast plans.  In reality, a good thing - I was happy to take some more relaxing time - and I suspected that by the end of the day, the last thing I would need is more food.  That led me to our first stop - Cozy Corner Restaurant.

There have already been some candid shots of the group, so I will show some food photos, instead.  When I think Memphis, I think....

...RIBS!  I was able to talk the staff into a couple of pictures of the pit after everyone had finished milling around.  They were proud to show off their operation and they were genuinely thrilled to have their place so highly thought of by such an esteemed group of barbecue enthusiasts.  One of my favorite parts of all of these journeys is interacting with the locals and the proud proprietors of the restaurants we seek.  The family that runs Cozy Corner would be in THAT Hall of Fame, if one were to exist.

I wasn't interested in sides, or bologna sandwiches.  No, no.  I wanted to taste those ribs.

They did not disappoint.  The applied sauce was reasonably thin, slightly sweet, but with just a little kick. 

I really enjoyed Cozy Corner, and would happily go back on any subsequent trip to Memphis.  I do regret that I did not get much time to spend with everyone who attended.  I tried to stop by and meet most folks, but after not seeing some folks that I am happy to call friends away from this site, I am afraid that I was a bit distracted.  I would also like to thank susanll for bringing the mopping sauce, a bottle of which I did acquire, to share with the group.

After Cozy Corner, we all kind of made off in separate directions with plans to meet again later.  A small group of us (myself, buffetbuster, wanderingjew and Cousing Johnny) headed in the direction of a place buffetbuster had read about in a previous edition of Roadfood.

Unfortunately, well....you guessed it.  We were Travelin' Manned.  Did you really expect anything else?  We later found out that Ellen's has moved to a new location on Elvis Presley Blvd, but we had already replaced that meal with something else.

We realized that we were close to Payne's Bar-b-q - also on Elvis Presley Blvd.  And, even though we were collectively stuffed, we all know the ancient Roadfood mantra - there's always room for another pork sandwich.

You can always tell when you are on the classy side of town when the windows look so fine!

The place sure looked authentic enough.  Check out that ceiling!

Check out the ghost prices of years gone by!  When I say that we really weren't hungry - I mean we REALLY weren't very hungry.  wanderingjew and I split one sandwich (he also had beans), while buffetbuster and Cousin Johnny also split the same order.

Surprisingly enough....

...this was one truly poor pork sandwich.  No joke.  It ranked somewhere just north of inedible.  If you look at the photo closely enough, you will see the fat.  I don't mean the kind of fat that makes meat tasty - I mean nasty chunks of fat, flavored with a little pork.  Also, I don't regularly eat slaw and I woudn't really think that I would like it on sandwiches, but the two times that I have had it (Primanti's being the other), the slaw surely didn't DETRACT from the meal.  Unfortunately, the pork itself was too busy detracting this whole meal.

These little signs were up all over the walls in Payne's.

If I knew a good lawyer, I would sue them for false advertising.

We got rid of the dead weight - oops...I mean we dropped wanderingjew off at his hotel!  Then, the rest of us made our way back towards downtown, with the plan to meet up with ChiTownDiner and his crew at Dyer's.  Poverty Pete also called from the Flying Saucer, with the invitation for a beer.  It really is tough being popular.  Then, of course, there is also the fact that we (collectively) get distracted very easily.  I saw a cool sign that I wanted to photograph - and the place reminded me of one of our favorite "hidden" stops from Mobile last year - the A&M Peanut Shoppe.

This place was a great stop.  The owner caught me taking photos - particularly here...

An antique roaster with a giant Mr. Peanut.  He chatted us up for a good few minutes - detailing the history of the original Planters Nuts shops that dotted the country.  His is one of only a handful of the original locations left, though they no longer have any affiliation with Planters.  One of the other original locations is in Mobile, AL - and the guy seemed a little impressed that I knew that! 

We walked down towards Beale Street - and there were still a good many folks milling around during the day.  I know that Beale hops along at night, but I was surprised to see so many folks there during the day.

We did make our way to Dyer's - thinking that it had been about an hour since we'd last eaten, and we could probably "do a burger."  We arrived to find ChiTownDiner and Brother Kerry waiting for their food to be delivered...and waiting...and waiting...and waiting.  I believe that they said that they'd waited about 45 minutes when we arrived.

Admittedly, that did alter our plans somewhat.  We did the math and with the evening meal at Leonard's approaching, a 45 minute wait, while stomach-friendly, was not clock-friendly.  On the other hand, we hadn't had dessert yet today, so....

A round of shakes for the boys.  You could call this the Holy Trinity of shakes - and they were passable, but, nothing I would go out of my way to pursue again.

While I didn't eat the food, I do think that the best thing about Dyer's is the proximity to the WC Handy statue, referenced in Marc Cohn's Walking in Memphis.

....won't you look down over me? 

OK, so I wasn't wearing blue suede shoes when I boarded my plane, nor was it raining when we touched down in the land of the Delta Blues, but I did get my picture of WC Handy watching down over me.

The evening's events as well as the rest of the trip will follow...
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 22
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1