The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

2009 GLEE CLUB Memphis Meet-Up

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 6 of 22, messages 151 to 180 of 657
mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
  • Roadfood Insider
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Thu, 01/1/09 3:05 PM (permalink)

Rick, For Hawaiian Shirts- If you Google "Hawaiian Shirt" you will get a bunch of on-line sales locations. we got ours from the Big and Tall outlet (Omar the Tentmaker!!).

We haven't done an update on who will be at Doe's and who will join up in Memphis for awhile. I figured that sometime nex week we woud start checking out the folks interested. We need to settle down after a bunch of Holiday Visitors...but given a few days we'll get into the prep work for President's Day.  The folks at Doe's have already promised us a great evening in Greenville,MS Friday night.  More to follow-
<message edited by Al-The Mayor-Bowen on Thu, 01/1/09 3:17 PM>

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
    RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Thu, 01/1/09 4:13 PM (permalink)
    Can't join any of you but I'm sure looking foward to pictures.

pcdiva

• Total Posts: 591
      Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Fri, 01/2/09 2:43 AM (permalink)
      I posted to the wrong thread.  My friend Paul and I will be spending that weekend together.  If he agrees, there will be 2 more joining in the festivities.  I will let you know for certain!

Alice

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
        Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 01/4/09 3:22 AM (permalink)
        Has a final decision been made yet on the restaurant lineup for the Feb. weekend? I was wondering if there was any chance that Dyer's Hamburgers would be one of the places visited. I'm a "burger fanatic", and I just viewed a DVD showing the burger-making process at Dyer's. Deep-fried hamburgers - hot damn! ( I'm also a fried-food junkie - a heart attack waiting to happen, huh? ) Just wondering.....             Bob

Sundancer7

Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 01/4/09 4:46 AM (permalink)
          nocarolina

Has a final decision been made yet on the restaurant lineup for the Feb. weekend? I was wondering if there was any chance that Dyer's Hamburgers would be one of the places visited. I'm a "burger fanatic", and I just viewed a DVD showing the burger-making process at Dyer's. Deep-fried hamburgers - hot damn! ( I'm also a fried-food junkie - a heart attack waiting to happen, huh? ) Just wondering.....             Bob

This is one of the Mayors favorite places.  I am almost certain he will put it on the agenda

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
            Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 01/4/09 11:06 AM (permalink)
            Paul, I'm pretty sure you're authorized to put anything on the agenda that you feel like going to. After all, you ARE a charter member of the West Tennessee Glee Club!

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
              Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 01/4/09 11:57 AM (permalink)
              If anyone is looking for a car rental deal for the upcoming weekend festivities - or any weekend through May, for that matter.....

Alamo is offering weekend rentals for $10/day + taxes

Terms and Conditions

Valid at participating US locations from 1/8/09 through 5/31/09 for rentals of an economy through premium size cars. 24-hour advance reservation required. Minimum one day/maximum four day rental required. Non-participating locations include, but are not limited to Denver, Aspen and the New York Metro area. Cannot be combined with any other discounts or promotional rates. Availability is limited and blackout dates may apply. Weekend rate available 9:00 AM Thursday; vehicle must be returned by pick up time on Monday or higher daily rates apply. Rental must include a Saturday overnight stay. Taxes, other governmentally-authorized or imposed surcharges, vehicle license recoupment fees, airport and airport facility fees (of up to US $4.50 per day or US $15 per rental), fuel, additional driver fee, one-way rental charge and optional items (such as CDW Waiver Savers® up to $29.99 per day) are extra. Check your insurance policy and/or credit card for rental vehicle coverage. Concession recoupment fees of up to 12% may be added to the rental rate at some on-airport locations. Up to 11.11% may be added to the rental rate if you rent at an off-airport location and exit on our shuttle bus. Other surcharges and recoupment fees may apply. Renter must meet standard age, drive and credit requirements. Rates may be higher for drivers under age 25.

Blatantly stolen from Frugal Travel Guy

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 01/4/09 4:37 PM (permalink)
                The Saturday agenda is still open to suggestions and "shuffle"- for some things. 

Jan and I will be staying in Clarksdale Friday night, after the Doe's stop. If it is early enough we may go "Blues-listening" late that night. We will be looking for a Tamale  breakfast in Clarksdale, MS before we head north to Memphis later that morning.

Otherwise the COZY CORNER was suggested for lunch and unless we get a better suggestion will be the place we meet in Memphis to begin the activities. That could give us enough time in the afternoon to do the Beale Street Walk and Dyers Stop...or other stuff as you wish. 

Dinner/Supper is pretty well set for Leonard's BBQ. The dinners each year seem to take quite a bit of time for you early nighters. Those who do the late-night scene could save their visit to Beale Street for that evening, but remember it is Valentines Day and the dinner-clubs will be crowded! That  Beale Street visit should include a stop at Dyer's Burgers later in the evening. Don't let Paul fool any of you. He was the guy who wanted one of those Burgers fried in 90 year-old deep fat...not Janet or me !! I watched him eat one and decided I was glad I did not partake!

We have received no suggestions for Sunday Brunch as most folks seem to be using Sunday to head for home. That's fine. We may stop in Doe's in Paducah on the way home Sunday for a 'comparison dinner!
                Please take a minute and confirm your participation in the Friday Dinner in Mississippi and the various Saturday Stops in Memphis. We will need to firm up a fairly solid reservation for Doe's and must give Leonard's BBQ time to set aside space for our Saturday dinner.

Also as Rick Mentioned... Find your Hawaiian Shirts. They can be worn to Doe's but are Mandatory on Saturday at Leonard's !  Also dig out the examples of your regional Roadfood items and bring at least "some" to give away as "Door Prizes !! (Another fine tradition to keep alive!)

Roadfood websites-
                  Doe's-  http://www.doeseatplace.com/

Cozy Corner-  http://www.cozycornerbbq.com/

Leonard's BBQ http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=230 

<message edited by Al-The Mayor-Bowen on Sun, 01/4/09 5:32 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 01/4/09 4:44 PM (permalink)
                  Al-
                  One way or another, I will be hitting Cozy Corner that weekend.  Being there with the group would make it even better.  It is really shaping up to be an amazing eating weekend!

Sundancer7

Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 01/4/09 5:46 PM (permalink)
                    Where is everyone staying Memphis?  I was going to stay downtown at the marriott but it was $175.

I wish I was able to drive the extra 200 miles to Greenville but I am not up to that.  I will be in Memphis on Friday night and Saturday night.  Looking forward to Beale street and Dyers.

Paul E. smith
                    Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 01/4/09 5:48 PM (permalink)
                      Cliff,
                        I was ediing my post when you added your comment. I have emailed the Cozy Corner to get us space for an 11-11:30 AM start time for lunch with them. I am sure we will hear from them shortly. I will call Leonards this week to set up a dinner time near 6PM. That should give us plenty of free time in the afternoon and late in the evening for other individual ventures and activities!

Now (EVERYBODY) it is 'Check in time !!  Please post with the locations you will be joining us on Friday and/or Saturday! and give us a count for the various reservations we are making!
                      <message edited by Al-The Mayor-Bowen on Sun, 01/4/09 5:51 PM>

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                        Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 01/4/09 5:55 PM (permalink)
                        Paul
                           Janet and I will be at the Amererca's Best Value Inn in Clarksdale MS on Friday, and the same chain at their location by the Memphis airport for Saturday. They are fairly inexpensive and allow the dogs. We have yet to find one that was not very clean and offering good service.

buffetbuster

Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 01/4/09 5:58 PM (permalink)
                          Al-
                          Consider my cousin Johhny and I in for all the activities.  There may be a third also.  As soon as I know yes or no on my buddy, I will let you know.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 01/4/09 6:59 PM (permalink)
                            Al-The Mayor-Bowen

We have received no suggestions for Sunday Brunch as most folks seem to be using Sunday to head for home.

I thought we had tossed around the idea of going to the Arcade?

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                              Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 01/4/09 8:14 PM (permalink)
                              Dale
                                I must have missed the "Arcade" comments. We'll add it for Sunday Morning and see how many want to do it.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 01/4/09 8:53 PM (permalink)
                                    Mayor - Count me in for everything ( caution: newbie attending! ) - Doe's, the motel in Clarksdale, all the fun stuff on Saturday, and whatever you folks might come up with for Sunday morning.  I'll have to hit the road around 4am Friday to get to Doe's on time, but I'm sure it will be worth it! I think I'll stay at that motel near the Memphis airport - is it hard to find? Do you have a number I can call to make reservations? Much appreciated.                  Bob        

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Mon, 01/5/09 11:02 AM (permalink)

First-timers are welcome...We all were first-timers once. My first RF gathering was SuperBowl Sunday of 2004 in Rancho Cucamonga,CA. We enjoyed that one, and all since !

For inexpensive Motel info go to the website for America'sBestValueInn.com. Check out the locations in MS and the Memphis area. We chose Clarksdale as it is a good compromise for the ride on Friday and allows us to check in then head on down to Greenville.

BTW BuffetBuster, that motel is a short walk from Hicks in Clarksdale..Do you know when Hicks opens in the morning???

This will be our first extended use of our GPS. We're kinda interested in how it will work to replace the Atlas we carry !

buffetbuster

Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Mon, 01/5/09 11:06 AM (permalink)
                                    Al-
                                    I got to Hick's at 11:00AM and they were just unlocking the door.  The drive-thru could possibly be open earlier, but I saw no breakfast items on the menu. 

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                      Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Mon, 01/5/09 11:23 AM (permalink)
                                      Al-The Mayor-Bowen

This will be our first extended use of our GPS. We're kinda interested in how it will work to replace the Atlas we carry !

Al,

In much the same way that you likely cannot remember what your life was like before cell phones, you will find your GPS to be an invaluable tool.  The key, as always, is to still understand the concepts behind the GPS (map reading skills will never fade away completely) to re-route if you need.  There are also times that I use it on familiar roads to see if it routes the same way I would - and I am surprised to learn that I know more about back roads and hidden paths than the GPS does.

I usually slowly adopt new technology, and my GPS purchase is recent, but I have used them in rental cars for years.  I like it - but, still carry a map most of the time.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Mon, 01/5/09 12:05 PM (permalink)

Thanks for the support RE-Hicks and GPS, guys.

We completed our reservations this morning.  The Clarksdale MS Motel is locked in, but we had to switch the America's Best Value Inn from the Airport location to the West Memphis Location since the management at the Airport Motel said no 'Pet-allowed rooms' were available. So we will sleep Saturday night in Arkansas just across the bridge from the city. That bothered me when I first thought of it, but after checking the map, we'll be closer to downtown  than if were were out by the airport.

With housing locked in ($65 a night) we can concentrate on the 'activities' part of the program.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Mon, 01/5/09 3:30 PM (permalink)
                                          Poverty Pete

I'd give five bucks to see the travelling man in crenoline.

"shakes his head"  THAT'S JUST WRONG!! 

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Mon, 01/5/09 3:39 PM (permalink)
                                            I would love to attend, but the 11th annual MB Gumbo Cookoff is that weekend.

Friday I will be making my gumbo
                                            Saturday is the competition
                                            Sunday is the 13 hour drive back home

I have been trying to get the MB CDC to change the date back a week but still no luck!!!!

I know you will all have fun, just wish I could be there.

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Mon, 01/5/09 3:48 PM (permalink)
                                              CajunKing

I would love to attend, but the 11th annual MB Gumbo Cookoff is that weekend.
                                              I know you will all have fun, just wish I could be there.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Mon, 01/5/09 7:00 PM (permalink)
                                                Don,
                                                  I am really sorry about the scheduling conflict. We hope to see you later this Spring !

Notice to all- I received a nice email from Cozy Corner in Memphis inviting us to use their facility for our Saturday Lunch.  It really helps when these great Roadfood places are so nice about hosting our meetings. So we are set for Doe's on Friday and Cozy Corner on Saturday (lunch) I will be communicating with Leonards BBQ shortly to see how we can work out for Saturday evening.

buffetbuster

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Mon, 01/5/09 7:10 PM (permalink)
                                                  You look at that schedule Al has set up and just shake your head at the great meals we have in front of us.  Amazing!  Who wants to share some barbecued Cornish game hen with me at Cozy Corner?

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                    RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Mon, 01/5/09 7:19 PM (permalink)
                                                    buffetbuster

You look at that schedule Al has set up and just shake your head at the great meals we have in front of us.  Amazing!  Who wants to share some barbecued Cornish game hen with me at Cozy Corner?

I'm on it, just as long as you're willing to share a couple of pork sandwiches with me at A & R and Payne's.

buffetbuster

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Mon, 01/5/09 7:21 PM (permalink)
                                                      WJ-
                                                      That is a deal I couldn't possibly say no to!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Mon, 01/5/09 7:26 PM (permalink)
                                                        buffetbuster

WJ-
                                                        That is a deal I couldn't possibly say no to!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                          RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Mon, 01/5/09 7:40 PM (permalink)
                                                          OK , Here's a tentative list of participants based on the comments posted somewhere in this 6 page thread. It is not meant to exclude or shut-out anyone. If you can join us in Greenville on Friday (Feb.13) let us know as soon as possible as we need to confirm a pretty solid number to the folks at DOE'S as soon s we can.

If your schedule would allow you to meet us on Saturday at Cozy Corner and/or Leonard's BBQ please get on that list also. We may have a Sunday Morning Brunch set-up  sometime soon, but at this point we are looking at Saturday in Memphis for Lunch and Dinner.

Friday, Feb 13. 6 PM
                                                          Doe's in Greenville Mississippi

Mayor and Mrs------- 2
                                                          B-Buster & fan club- 2 or 3
                                                          Paul-Sue (IQ Diva) --2
                                                          PP & WJ     -----------2                DOE'S  TOTAL  @ 16
                                                          Northcarolina-------  1
                                                          Bushie---------------- 1
                                                          Chips-----------------  2
                                                          ChiTwnDnr----------- 2   
                                                          Curbside grill-------- 1
                                                          PCdiva & friend--?--2

ADD to MEMPHIS Group on Saturday
                                                          All of the Greenville Group PLUS-
                                                          Paul & Iwanago
                                                          Rick F + Jan +one                TOTAL MEMPHIS LUNCH AND DINNER
                                                          TTM                                                            @ 24
                                                          Ayersian and Amy
                                                          <message edited by Al-The Mayor-Bowen on Tue, 01/6/09 10:06 AM>

buffetbuster

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Tue, 01/6/09 11:31 AM (permalink)
                                                            Al-
                                                            Looks like my other buddy will be able to make it.  So put me down as three.  I hope Leonard's is bringing in an extra supply of ribs, because between, him Johnny and I, I am the smallest eater! 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 6 of 22, messages 151 to 180 of 657

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com