Author
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2125
2009/12/10 23:12:30 (permalink)

2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival

The website for the 2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival now is live:

www.neworleansroadfoodfestival.com

This is where you can find out all the juicy details of exactly which restaurants will be serving what specialties on Saturday and Sunday, March 27 & 28, along five blocks of Royal Street in the heart of the French Quarter.

The website will offer vital information about other Festival events including the Friday night cocktail reception and presentation of the First Annual Roadfood Blue Plate Award, Saturday morning's world's longest po' boy sandwich, and the Saturday night crawfish boil and pig roast.

Here is where to go for up-to-date information about special events and activities as the Festival draws near, as well as a link to special rates on accommodations in the French Quarter.

Please check out the website and join other fans at the New Orleans Roadfood Festival page on Facebook

and NewOrleansRoadfoodFestival.com

We hope you can join us this year!

post edited by Stephen Rushmore Jr. - 2009/12/11 01:20:26

101 Replies Related Threads

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/10 23:13:38 (permalink)
    The following is some overview text pulled from the festival web site:

The New Orleans Roadfood Festival begins on March 26, 2010, with an opening cocktail reception and presentation of the First Roadfood Blue Plate Award to Anthony and Gail Uglesich. On March 27 and 28, the 300-700 blocks of Royal Street in the French Quarter will become a grazer's paradise from 11am to 6pm.

Unique dishes from New Orleans, from around Louisiana, and from the top-ranking Roadfood restaurants all across America will be served in affordable, sample-size portions. Each restaurant will have its own booth where visitors can meet and exchange views with the proprietors of the restaurants.

The New Orleans Roadefood Festival is the creation of a countrywide team of passionate foodies including Jane and Michael Stern, authors of Roadfood and regular guests on public radio's "The Splendid Table," and Stephen Rushmore Jr., the visionary creator of Roadfood.com.

To herald the opening of the free street festival on Saturday morning, the World's Longest Po Boy will be created. Each ten-foot length of the multi-block sandwich is made by one of New Orleans' top restaurants using its own recipe for po boy greatness and just-fried local oysters.

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/11 01:05:43 (permalink)
    Edit: Problem solved.
    post edited by 6star - 2009/12/15 13:52:36
    will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 413
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/11 11:21:45 (permalink)
    I cannot wait!  I got my room online.  The price online was $20 cheaper pernight than the special Roadfood block.  When I called, the reservation person indicated that it was simply an online special.  So act fast!
    Since this is my first BIG Roadfood event, I do have a question.  Is there any type of registration or registration fee required?  I didn't find that on the festival website.
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/11 11:52:24 (permalink)
    Question also - website states "free" for entry, so does this mean we can expect thousands of folks and hours of lines? Just picturing the NYC BBQ festival, and while the food was excellent, the hours of waiting in line were tedious.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/11 12:55:18 (permalink)
    Last year the wait time never exceeded 5 minutes.  This year will certainly be more popular, but we also have twice as many vendors and a larger space.  I can assure you people won't go hungry over the weekend!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10107
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/11 12:59:56 (permalink)
    Stephen-
    Will there be a crawfish boil or something like it on Saturday night?

BTW, the restaurants you have lined up to participate is amazing. 
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/11 14:10:01 (permalink)
    Saturday night will be a crawfish boil and some other food (most likely a pork product), but it will be in the French Quarter so we don't have to deal with bus logistics and alligators.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/11 14:37:27 (permalink)
    I am glad that Anthony Uglesich will be there.  His small restaurant was my favorite and I was extremely dissapointed when he retired.

I believe I first posted about his restaurant about five years ago.  I recall his wife made the best bloody Mary's.  She made them individually and she was very slow but they were different and very very good.  Everything he sold in his restaurant was super. 

I recall that he opened at 11:00AM.  I got there 45 minutes before the restaurant opened and there was already a line way out the door waiting for the opening.  It was a small restaurant and even with the outdoor seating, I doubt the restaurant would hold more than 40-50 people.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    post edited by Sundancer7 - 2009/12/11 14:39:05
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/11 14:45:05 (permalink)
    Uglesich:  I posted this about six and a half years ago regarding Uglesich's

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=10524&high=uglesich
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5408
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/12 23:45:58 (permalink)
    I can't wait. PP and I plan on being there. Our 1st trip to NOLA.

MikeS.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/13 01:28:29 (permalink)
    I just booked a room at the Monteleone for Thu - Sat nights.
    Mariaehlana
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/15 10:05:22 (permalink)
    I'm planning on being there! This will be my first Roadfood event. I can't wait!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/29 18:02:47 (permalink)
     I hope Anthony Uglesich has his famous bloody Mary's available.  I wish I knew his recipe.  I ate there several times and it was my favorite restaurant in NOLA.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN 
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 940
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/29 19:41:16 (permalink)
    Pretty sure I'll be going this year, as well.

I'll probably stay in usual hotel on St. Charles Ave, the Avenue Garden Hotel.

I believe ChuckL50 is also going, and I'm dragging a few of my New Orleans resident friends along, as well.

Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 878
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/30 12:31:32 (permalink)
    We've got plane tickets and hotel reservations. It'll be our first trip to New Orleans, so we're coming in on Wednesday night to get more time to see the sights.
    icecreamchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/30 12:40:19 (permalink)
    I am the other half of ralphmelton's "we" -- and am very excited to see NOLA for the first time and meet up with y'all :-)
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10107
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/30 12:47:01 (permalink)
    Glad to see da 'burgh will be well represented!
    ChuckL50
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2009/12/30 16:23:30 (permalink)
    X1

Pretty sure I'll be going this year, as well.

I'll probably stay in usual hotel on St. Charles Ave, the Avenue Garden Hotel.

I believe ChuckL50 is also going, and I'm dragging a few of my New Orleans resident friends along, as well.

Yup, I'm in. Just had my vacation time approved.
    As if I needed an excuse to visit my favorite city again. A Roadfood Eat and Great is the perfect icing on the cake.

BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1157
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2010/01/10 10:35:35 (permalink)
    I didn't know it had become a yearly event in the same city.  Hopefully, I'll be off from work and can me some of ya'll.

X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2010/01/10 10:53:14 (permalink)
    I'm booking hotel and airfare this week.
    I believe I'll be there Thurs - Mon.

If any of you NOLA first-timers (or anyone else that wants to) want to join a few of us, we'll most likely be breakfasting at the Camellia Grill on Friday morning. That could change, but it's in the plans for now.

Also, I have an email of "do's and don'ts" that I usually send to people that ask me about going to New Orleans. If anyone would like me to send it to them, just email me at X1.Christin (at) gmail (dot) com, and ask for it.
    It's mostly safety tips, must-eats, and how to bargain at the French Market.

BelleReve - What's your schedule? Surely you can't be working the entire time the Festival is going on! 

katherinecurry
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2010/01/10 13:27:02 (permalink)
    Those first-timer tips sound like a great resource for folks who've never been. I've been many times but must confess I haven't been post-Katrina and could use a refresher course myself.  Why don't you post something about your tips over on the Festival's Facebook page, too? 
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2010/01/10 14:55:18 (permalink)
    OK - let me dig it up, and I'll post to both.
    BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1157
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2010/01/10 16:00:36 (permalink)
    X1 - I work every Sunday, some Saturdays, but can arrange to be off if I ask in advance. 
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2010/01/10 16:01:11 (permalink)

My tips:

Transportation:

The streetcar: a cheap way to travel. It's $1.25, or you can purchase an all-day pass for $5. One line runs Uptown/Garden District, and the other runs along Canal, which is the border between the CBD (Central Business District - aka "Downtown") and the French Quarter. Exact change required.

Cabs are easy and pretty cheap. There is a gasoline surcharge, tho' - usually a dollar or two, and they charge another dollar for extra passengers. United Cab is the best. A small tip is expected, as well. 

Cabs to and from the airport are, I believe, $32, plus the surcharge, and extra if you have more than 2 people or massive amounts of luggage. The cabbies will not "trick you" by taking you on a circuitous route, as the fare is posted in each cab. Again, a small tip is expected.

The airport is in Kenner, which is about 35 minutes (depending on traffic) from New Orleans. If the hotel you're staying at has a shuttle, take that. If you take an airport shuttle that makes the rounds to all the hotels downtown, it's cheap but it may take up to two hours before it reaches your particular hotel. 

Food/entertainment:

The cheapest place to eat, but one of the best, and a must-do, is Cafe du Monde at Jackson Square on Decatur. Get an iced coffee and a plate of Beignets (bin-yays), and you have yourself a great meal for about 5 dollars, including tip. Great place for people-watching. It's open 24/7. They have indoor seating if it's cold and/or rainy. Just walk to whatever table is open and take a seat (you may have to wait in line). Pay the waitstaff when they deliver the food and coffee. Enjoy the people-watching.

Most bars are open 24/7/365. You can walk around on the streets with your drink, as long as it's in a plastic cup (a "go-cup"). If you're at one bar, and have a bottle of beer or a drink in a glass, and want to leave, ask the bartender for a go-cup, and they will oblige. If you walk into another bar or a restaurant or the hotel with a drink in your hand, nobody cares. 

Try a Muffuletta or a po'boy (sub sandwich) from Mother's or Central Grocery. A HUGE amount of food for very little. If you have a fridge in your hotel, it's good for two meals. 

Coop's on Decatur is a great place to eat, an absolutely must-go-to place. They are famous for the rabbit Jambalaya. Get the sampler plate. And say hi to Stella, the resident kitty, usually in her perch at the window. The Abbey, a few doors down, is a weird little scary hole in the wall bar to stop into.  Angelina and Brad have been spotted at both places, if that interests you. They live nearby. 

If you see something called a "sno-ball" - GET ONE! They are SO GOOD. NOT a snow-cone. It's vaguely similar to one, but very different. If you like Raspberry or Strawberry, get a "stuffed Strawberry with condensed milk". What this means is that they stuff ice cream in the middle, and drizzle condensed milk on top. SO GOOD! My favorite is Orchid Vanilla Cream, stuffed, with Condensed Milk. It's incredibly good. A brilliant violet color, too. Don't worry about staining your mouth/tongue - it's a badge of honor and will inspire jealousy.

Also on Decatur - go to a shop called Sterling Silvia. WARNING! If you love jewelry, this place is DANGEROUS! I could get one of everything! LOL They usually have a pretty good sale going on.

Magazine Street (Uptown) is great for window shopping - antiques and funky clothing stores. Royal Street is also famous for antiques and re-sale shops.

Music is free at a lot of places, but they collect tips for the band. See who's playing at Checkpoint Charlie, at the corner of Decatur and Esplanade. House of Blues is overpriced, but if it's a band you like, go for it. The food's not worth it, though. Stop in to Tipitina's for some jazz. I believe there is a (cheap) cover for that, though.

There's a place on Decatur that makes and sells their own cigars, and will let you watch them roll them. Interesting, and free to watch. 

Uptown, stop in to Lucky's at 1625 St. Charles Ave. Drinks are cheap, the place is fun. Great porch to sit and relax at, and watch the streetcar and people go by. Both Checkpoint and Lucky's also have pub food and are a laundromat, so you can wash your clothes while you eat and drink. Lucky's has free red beans & rice on Monday nights starting at 7 PM until it's gone.  

Down the street from Lucky's is Slice, which is a great pizza place, and VooDoo BBQ, which is a local chain, but has decent food, especially the smoked sausage. The St. Charles Tavern is open 24/7/365 and serves whatever meal you feel like having - even pancakes and beer at 4 AM. It's a GREAT place to people-watch - all the locals go there. They have very good Boudin balls and shrimp po'boys, and their Catfish is above average. The Avenue Pub, a block up from Lucky's, seems like just another divey local bar, until you eat their food. It's quietly gaining a good following and great reputation among locals.

Frenchman Street, just past Esplanade (the street after Checkpoint Charlie) is a great place to go for food and music. Snug Harbor, 13, The Spotted Cat, The Apple Barrel and dba are great. 

Chartres is on the other side of Jackson Square (Decatur) - go to the Pharmacy Museum (514 Chartres). It's $5, and very creepy and cool. Further down is Napoleon House. Get a Pimm's Cup to drink, and a Muffuletta to eat.

If you go to a Voodoo museum (there are a couple - one is on Dumaine), make sure you leave a coin or two at the alter "for Marie LaVeau". It's good luck.

Acme Oyster House is fun and pretty cheap. They'll teach you to eat Crawfish, if needed, and their oysters are some of the best. All their food is great. It is a tourist trap, but it's a damn fun one. Same with Landry's on Decatur, only it's not as cheap as Acme.

The French Market/flea market is a fun place to go. You can haggle on prices, and they have some good stuff mixed in with the cheap and sleazy crap. It's fun to look at everything.

Decatur Street is one of the most fun streets, actually. Very touristy, but it has all the fun of Bourbon without the obnoxiousness, and it's pretty to look at. Climb on up the levee and take a gander at the Mississippi River going by, and watch the ships and boats. See Jackson Square, get your palm read. Palm/Tarot readings are "free", technically, but a $20 "donation" is average (and expected).

Watch the kids tapdancing for change and throw a few coins in the hat. If you see the Statue People, you can get your pic taken with them, or take a pic of them, but you must pay them for the privilege. About $2 - $5 is fine.

If you want to splurge, see the city by mule-drawn carriage. It's fascinating, and your host will be able to tell you a good tale or two. Whether they're true or not is another matter altogether. :) 

There are several other tours to choose from, as well - history, haunted history, ghost, cemetery, riverboat, swamp, Katrina, Garden District, vampire, Irish in New Orleans, etc. Your hotel should have the information, and it's cheaper if you join a group, rather than do it on your own. 

Bourbon Street:

If you've never been to NOLA, I guess it's a must-see. The Cat's Meow is a karaoke place that's pretty fun. The later it gets, the wilder Bourbon Street gets. Wear shoes you won't mind throwing away, and do NOT wear open-toed shoes (sandals). Beware of Hurricanes and Hand Grenades. Try one or the other, not both, and don't drink more than one. Even the most experienced drinker will vomit after more than that (hence the need for crappy shoes and non-open-toe). Pat O's is the place for Hurricanes. 
    If you want to eat really cheap food, you can try a Lucky Dog from the carts. At your own risk, of course.

A great cheap place on Bourbon is Remoulade. 

Lots of good music clubs to duck into, as well. I like Patout's/Patout's Cajun Cabin for the music and food. 
    Most of Bourbon is cheesy and touristy, IMO.

Crime:

Watch yourself. Do not stray off the beaten path, especially in the French Quarter or on Bourbon. Do not go down any alleys or empty streets. Take a cab if you are unsure of the area. Never feel stupid taking a cab, even if it's only a few blocks. The state of the neighborhoods change quickly from one block to the next. Walk in groups. Beware pickpockets. Keep your money/wallet in your front pocket or in a buttoned pants/shorts pocket. Chain or clip your wallet to your pants, if possible. Do not get so drunk that you are incoherent (hence my warning about the seemingly-innocuous Hand Grenades and Hurricanes). If you're with (or are) a female - do not let her swing/dangle her purse by one hand. Do not clutch the purse tightly, as it makes it seem more attractive, as it obviously has money/valuables. Wear a purse with a long strap that you can drape around the body, and carry the purse part in front of the body. Do not wear fanny packs, as they are extremely easy for the experienced pickpocket. You "think" you'll know/feel it if someone is pickpocketing you, but guess what - you won't.

Stay aware. Stay aware. STAY AWARE.

Keep your head up and look around and meet people's eyes. Beware of people on bikes (the usual MO of purse-snatchers). Keep an eye on your cell phone. Have cash in different places on your body, so you don't flash all your money at once. Put your change away quickly, and don't bring out a wad of cash to pay for your goods or food. 

Don't talk to Gutter Punks or homeless. You don't have to be rude, just walk on by. 

Do NOT, under any circumstances, go into a cemetery alone. ONLY with a tour group. Cemeteries are notorious for thieves/rapists/murderers. It's easy to hide a body in a cemetery, and it's easy to hide in a cemetery where there are only crypts - no below-ground burials - LOTS of places to hide. Scary.

Other tidbits:

You can bargain with the ppl in the French Market. Try it. "Oh, I like this, but there's no way I can afford $XXX". They'll probably come back with a deal. This doesn't work if you have a ton of bags from places, though...unless you spin it "I really like this, but I spent most of my money already - I can't afford $XX for this".

NOLA is a popular abbreviation for New Orleans

There is an Acme Oyster House in the airport

Sit on the riverbank with a Muffuletta sandwich from Central Grocery on Decatur, and eat and watch the river and the ships.

Take the ferry across the river for the view, and to visit Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras museum

Only tourists wear beads when it's not Carnival season. Buy them, if you want, but don't wear 'em.

If someone bets you a dollah they can tell you where you got your shoes, respond with a disgusted look, and say "I got my shoes right here on the sidewalk in New Orleans", then keep walking by

It's gonna be humid, no matter what the temp

I can't remember the street it's on, but it's between Decatur and Bourbon - it's called The Coffee Pot, and it is the most hidden-treasure, excellent place for breakfast. They serve "plantation" food - i.e., stuff they would've have served to masters of the house in slavery days. It's AWESOME. I believe it's across from a Marie LaVeau's VooDoo museum, and near Johnny White's bar (excellent place to hang out in).

Pronunciations:

Tujague - two-jacks
    Esplanade - es-plan-ADE, not es-plan-ODD
    Tchoupitoulas - chop-it-two-lass
    Metairie - met-air-ee
    Pitot - rhymes with teapot
    New Orleans - N'Orlinz or New Or-lee-ans. Never Noo Orleenz
    Praline - prah-leen, not pray-leen
    Pecan - pee-can or p'cahn

Food explanations:

Andouille - AHN-do-ee - a type of Cajun sausage. It's not spicy, but it is full of flavor. Gumbos and Jambalayas often feature Andouille.
    Boudin - boo-DAHN - a type of Cajun sausage that is made with rice and meat. You don't eat the casing. Instead, you cut away the top and squeeze the contents into your mouth - almost like a meat push-up pop. If you see Boudin Balls on a menu, they are pretty much the same, except you can eat the whole thing.
    Cracklins - chichironnes - fried pork skins. 
    Crawfish - pinch the tails and suck the heads! They'll teach you how to eat them if you don't know how.
    Oysters - Eat 'em any way you can get 'em - fried, raw, charbroiled, baked, in a pie, in a gumbo...
    Po-Boys - Po-boys are another name for submarine or hoagie sandwiches. However, they have very different ingredients. French Fry & Debris with Cheese? Yep. Fried Oyster? Yep. Fried Shrimp? Uh-huh. Roast Beef, dressed, with debris and cheese? Oh, yes.
    ("dressed" - tomato, lettuce, mayo. sometimes pickles; debris - the pan drippings from the roast beef, aka "brown gravy")
    Red Gravy - red tomato sauce/marinara sauce

For information on bands and events, go to:

www.nola.com
    www.neworleansonline.com
    www.cityofnewiberia.com
    www.louisianatravel.com
    www.tripadvisor.com

post edited by X1 - 2010/01/10 16:14:47
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2010/01/10 16:09:47 (permalink)
    BelleReve

X1 - I work every Sunday, some Saturdays, but can arrange to be off if I ask in advance. 

Well, ask off! :)

X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2010/01/10 16:10:45 (permalink)
    I don't know why the fonts all changed like that. Sorry.
    But it's readable!!

If y'all have any more questions, just ask. 

MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2010/01/11 00:07:11 (permalink)
    X1, sounds like some great info. Thanks for posting it!

MikeS.
    will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 413
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2010/01/11 07:10:11 (permalink)
    Great tips!  Thanks so much.  It has been eons since I was an LSU student and spent many a weekend in New Orleans.  I am so excited about the event!
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2010/01/11 08:51:05 (permalink)
    X1 - Very nicely done!  You should start a travel guidebook company...seriously!
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1