The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 31 to 60 of 122
ChiTownDiner

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Thu, 08/2/12 3:29 PM (permalink)
You're on my lap....

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Thu, 08/2/12 3:36 PM (permalink)
    ChiTownDiner

You're on my lap....

<message edited by wanderingjew on Thu, 08/2/12 3:38 PM>

Foodosaurus

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Fri, 08/3/12 8:16 AM (permalink)
      Administrators:

I'm really looking forward to this.  But I can't afford the ticket price.  I live in CT and would be following behind the bus.  Is there a problem with that?

buffetbuster

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Sun, 08/5/12 9:12 AM (permalink)
        I was contacted by someone interested in attending, so my extra tickets are no longer available.

icecreamchick

• Total Posts: 99
          Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Sun, 08/5/12 12:06 PM (permalink)
          Will there be an announcement when the block of rooms is open at the hotel? I'm wanting to make plans :-)

karilyn

• Total Posts: 141
            Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Sun, 08/5/12 12:21 PM (permalink)
            I am so excited to catch up with familiar faces  . . . . and put a face to some familiar names!

ChiTownDiner

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Sun, 08/5/12 12:31 PM (permalink)
              karilyn

I am so excited to catch up with familiar faces  . . . . and put a face to some familiar names!

Me too!!! 

ChiTownDiner

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Sun, 08/5/12 1:11 PM (permalink)
                icecreamchick

Will there be an announcement when the block of rooms is open at the hotel? I'm wanting to make plans :-)

Look for info in the next week...I'm guessing!

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Sun, 08/5/12 4:27 PM (permalink)
                  I am supposed to get the hotel booking URL tomorrow.  Will post and email everyone once it comes through.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Mon, 08/6/12 5:40 PM (permalink)
                    Greetings Connecticut Roadfood Eating Tour participants!

We are only a couple of months away from what is sure to be one of the best sold-out eating tours ever.  For those of you looking to spend the night at the Sheraton Bradley hotel, we have secured a special rate of $99/night and that includes internet and parking. Since the bus will be arriving and departing from the hotel, everyone is encouraged to stay at that property.  Plus, the unofficial eating tour (pre/post), as veterans know, will originate from the host hotel.  You can book a room at the following URL - https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/res?id=1208067110&key=67603

Logistically speaking, the bus will be departing promptly at 8:30 AM on Saturday, so please arrive a few minutes early.  We should be back by 6:45 PM.  Sunday will depart at 9 AM and return by 3 PM so those of you can catch flights that evening.

Start saving your appetite!

The Roadfood Team 

ChiTownDiner

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Mon, 08/6/12 6:54 PM (permalink)
                      Got Fri & Sat...system works well.  Is not avaialbe earlier nights including Thursday.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Mon, 08/6/12 11:41 PM (permalink)
                        Greg, it should be available on the earlier nights, let me follow-up with my contact.

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Mon, 08/6/12 11:46 PM (permalink)
                          Stephen, I don't know if you intended it to be available Sunday night, but it's not.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Tue, 08/7/12 6:04 PM (permalink)
                            Hi Stephen,

I just added Thursday and Sunday nights.  It should link over in about 15 minutes.

If you know of anyone who has already made a reservation and would like to add either Thursday or Sunday please let me know and I can take care of this for them.

Thank you Stephen.

Peter M Terpos

Director of Sales & Marketing
                            t — 860.386.7804 c — 413.478.3532  f — 860.623.5284

SHERATON HARTFORD HOTEL AT BRADLEY AIRPORT
                            1 Bradley Int’l Airport, Windsor Locks, CT 06096

ChiTownDiner

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Wed, 08/8/12 9:23 AM (permalink)
                              Mine is all taken care of...Pete on duty right now.  Thanks Stephen!

Michael Shriro

• Total Posts: 4
                                Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Wed, 08/8/12 10:11 AM (permalink)
                                Stephen,
                                Can you add to the reservations page the ability to reserve a room with two double beds vs. a king?

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Wed, 08/8/12 10:29 PM (permalink)
                                  Michael, call the hotel if you want a specific room type.

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                                    Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Fri, 08/10/12 4:09 PM (permalink)
                                    Hello all ,
                                    For those interested in a double dip of tours . Hot Dog Nation will be presenting the 9th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour on Sat Sept 22nd . Go to Facebook - Hot Dog Nation or email benzee95@hotmail.com  . John Fox has posted the intinerary here on meets and greets and FB as well
                                    Benzee

NOTE: The 9th Annual Hot Dog Tour has no affiliation with Roadfood.com
                                    But many of us enjoy the site (:

Michael Shriro

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Tue, 08/14/12 10:16 PM (permalink)
                                      Since there hasn't been any guessing at the itinerary for a while, I thought I'd share the results of my Best Unified Roadfood Predictor (BURP). By plotting various high rated locations from the website, I've come to several conclusions:

1. Most of the good Roadfood in the state is west of a line from Hartford to West Haven. This does not include the Clinton Seafood Shack Cluster (Clam Castle, Lobster Landing, Lenny & Joe's and Johnny Ad's Drive-In).
                                      2. The Sterns will want to take us to Belgique Chocolatier in Kent before it closes in October (according to Chowhound). This would lead the tour deep into the western part of the state.
                                      3. Since Saturday is the longer day, that trip will have a longer sweep of the state and will be concentrated on the western side.
                                      4. I don't have enough to do.

With this in mind, this is my prediction using BURP:

Saturday:
                                      Bantam Bread Co.
                                      Belgique Chocolatier 
                                      Clamps Hamburger Stand
                                      Bridgewater Chocolate
                                      Amiogs Deli & Groceries
                                      Dr. Mike's Ice Cream
                                      Burgerrittoville
                                      Botsford Drive-In
                                      Blackie's Hot Dog Stand
                                      Clamdigger
                                      The Big Dipper
                                      K. LaMay's Steamed Cheeseburgers and/or Ted's
                                      Glenwood Drive-In
                                      and the using the Bilmes-Boyle Theory that one pizza dinner will not be in New Haven -
                                      Either Roseland or First Street Apizza

Sunday, BURP isn't quite so helpful but here it goes:

Bush Meadow Farm
                                      Shady Glen
                                      The New Britain Hot Dog Pound (Doggie's, The Dawg House, Capitol Lunch)
                                      The Clinton Seafood Shack Cluster
                                      a possible side trip to hit Kamp Dog, Abbott's and Kitchen Little
                                      Bishop's Orchards
                                      and then New Haven (Which would avoid Saturday night crowds)

Any feedback you could give me on BURP would be appreciated.
                                      <message edited by Michael Shriro on Tue, 08/14/12 10:19 PM>

joseiw

• Total Posts: 14
                                        Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Sat, 08/18/12 4:55 PM (permalink)
                                        TnTinCT

Very exciting! We are fortunate to live less than 10 miles from Bradley so can spend each night at home ;-) We'd love to do some pre- and post- dining with folks if interested and have some great local ideas if needed .....Terri & Tim

Kerry and I will be there Thursday and leaving Monday, and would love to take you and others up on the offer.  Best of all, Kerry will have her tarheel blue vw convertible, also known as the heelmobile.  Me, I'm flying, but she is on extended vacation.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Sat, 08/18/12 6:50 PM (permalink)
                                          y'all should know, that one of my favorite near-an-airport/hot-grinder/red-spaghetti/eggplant/Thursday-and-Friday-happy-hour-buffet places in the US is on route 75, maybe the closest restaurant to the airport is the Skyline Restaurant

Second Poquonock Giant Grinder has one of the best cold Italian combo giant grinders I've ever had ... perfect bring-back-to-the-room food.

Voyageur

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Sun, 08/19/12 1:05 PM (permalink)
                                            @wheregregeats.com Thank you! Can't wait. Looked up the Skyline Restaurant on www.maps.google.com/ & it's within super easy walking distance of the Sheraton. 

The menu portion of its website www.skylinerestaurantct.com/ isn't working, but it looks as if its open for both lunch and dinner each day, if its website is up to date. That's great as I plan to arrive Thursday and leave Monday afternoon.

Foodosaurus

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Mon, 08/20/12 10:30 AM (permalink)
                                              There is also a really great hot dog truck on 75, just about a mile and a half from the hotel.  http://www.millsieshotdogs.com/  They are only open Mon - Fri for lunch.  They use a nice big Mucke's dog.  The dog is griddled, the bun is steamed, and all of the toppings are free.  I would suggest their meat sauce, grilled onions and brown mustard.  I go here from work on my lunch break every couple weeks and down a couple dogs.

Foodosaurus

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Mon, 08/20/12 10:34 AM (permalink)
                                                wheregreggeats.com - I go to Second Poquonock Giant Grinder almost every Friday for lunch.  I'm actually not a fan of their deli meat sandwiches.  I stick with the chicken mostly.  The fried chicken is good, and its very inexpensive.  Their chicken cutlets are ridiculously crispy and make for fantastic versions of Chicken Parm and Buffalo Chicken grinders.  They also have a very good Gyro.  Perhaps the main reason to go is for their vision of the Philly Cheese Steak.  It's not very authentic, but I have never seen a bigger version ANYWHERE!

buffetbuster

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Thu, 09/6/12 1:47 PM (permalink)
                                                  I know this is a longshot, but does anyone have an extra ticket they would like to sell?

Michael Shriro

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Sat, 09/8/12 11:11 AM (permalink)
                                                    I have one ticket available and have sent you a PM.
                                                    <message edited by Michael Shriro on Sat, 09/8/12 11:14 AM>

Voyageur

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Mon, 09/10/12 9:59 PM (permalink)
                                                      Have a free day Friday in Hartford (you're very welcome to join me) and can't wait to enjoy some places in New Haven.
                                                      Know we will probably visit at least one pizza place there, but which one depends on the owner willing to keep enough seats free for our bus. There's no way I want to miss Pepe's, which has been at the very top of my bucket list for a longtime. If get to eat there twice, all the better!
                                                      It's easy to reach New Haven without a car. An airport express taking about 30 minutes leaves the terminals adjacent to the Sheraton approximately every hour and costs $1.30 each way, with a stop at Union Station. Details: http://www.cttransit.com/...dules/BradleyFlyer.asp
                                                      Amtrak costs $18 roundtrip and must be reserved at Amtrak.com. This rate costs less than the AAA and senior one and I believe it must be booked 14 days in advance. Details: http://amtrak.com
                                                      Once in New Haven, the top choices on my list are within fairly easy walking distance of the station, except Modern Apizza, 1.4 miles away. I will walk, but you may wish to take a taxi.
                                                      Yale and the famous Green are also close by.

TnTinCT

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Wed, 09/12/12 11:35 AM (permalink)
                                                        A head's up to folks - although not know as a CT roadfood spot - it certainly is a NYC one with a new outpost - the Shake Shack is opening this week in New Haven right across from the New Haven green.  Simply one of the best burgers that I have ever had the pleasure of eating.

Ralph Melton

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Wed, 09/12/12 5:22 PM (permalink)
                                                          Our plans have gelled a bit. We probably won't be available much before dinnertime, but we'd be delighted to join folks for dinner on Friday night.

TnTinCT

Re:2012 Roadfood Eating Tour - Connecticut Sun, 09/16/12 10:12 AM (permalink)
                                                            For those coming in early for the trip - the "Big E" is underway through September 30 - and is about an 18 mile drive from the airport. The Eastern States Exposition is a large state fair - but since our New England states are relatively small, the Big E combines them all into one large event. The fair is open every night until 9p - my advice? Skip most of the food vendors and head to the back side of the fair where you can find dedicated buildings to each individual state - there is great food to be found here, along with unique gifts and crafts. Have a NY System wiener with that lovely sauce, onions, and celery seed or clam cakes in Rhode Island, a Maine lobster roll, stuffed baked potato and blueberry pie in Maine, great Granville cheddar cheese, more lobster rolls, and clam chowder in Massachusetts, or visit the largest Pez "store" you've ever seen in Connecticut. Vermont and New Hampshire are represented with Ben & Jerry's ice cream, lots of maple products and yet more cheddar cheese. It's apple season now, too - so lots of cider, donuts, and fritters. A great way to get a little taste of a lot of New England in one place. More info here - http://www.thebige.com/fair/

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 31 to 60 of 122

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com