Hot!2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas

Page: << < ..111213 > Showing page 12 of 13
Author
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 09:24:33 (permalink)
Arriving at The Four Way 20 minutes before opening, our timing couldn't have been better.  Jane and Michael Stern pulled up at the same time as we walked around towards the front and with a wave of a hand, we were invited in early!  Everyone was so welcoming and the extra 20 minutes gave us some time to select an appropriate table - one which was close to the kitchen to minimize delivery time!  Every step counts!

The additional time also let us catch up on all kinds of restaurant, misc. non-food subjects and look back a little over the previous few days!  We exchanged a few pretty good stories! 

My pictures are pretty much the same as buffetbuster's....

My choice was the turkey and dressing along with two of my favorite sides.  This was a solid plate but there weren't really any standouts!  Right in the average to slightly abovce average wheelhouse!

Buffetbuster's previously mentioned diet plate...

He's such a veggie head!

Both cakes were pretty much standard issue, nothing special....but the hot dog special was just awful!  No need to open up the "Where's the best hot dog city" on this one, these were really, really bad!  Worst dish of the trip!

As buffetbuster mentioned, we did need a break!  I just had to slow him down...

The trolley is a buck!  Best deal in the city! 

We rode by the Pyramid which is being transformed into a Bass Pro Shop and upscale hotel!

Here's the cable car approaching at Mud Island....

This provided a really nice break and gave us an up close experience with the Mighty Mississippi River!  At this point, it pretty cool to run into ChiBears15 and he joined our merry little group!
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8496
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 09:26:33 (permalink)
This has been such a fun report. I hate to see it end.......
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 09:33:00 (permalink)
Big_g

ChiTownDiner

Danny - this is some great stuff...thanks for chiming in and adding your photos and reflections!  This has really been a fun thread!

Very nice stuff Danny!!
CTD you are correct sir...a very fun thread...people here at work are dying to see/read the next pages.....

Thanks Big_g - it's been a fun thread made even better by all of the additional comments and pictures!  Glad you're enjoying it...sorta sad to be getting to the end!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 09:38:08 (permalink)
ChiBears15 -

That whole Beale Street scene just irritates me!  While we were down there, and I believe either the night before or 2 nights before your visit, the entire street was closed for a while due to rioting!  It was non-stop coverage on the news and with everyone an amateur videographer these days because of cell phones, there was no shortage of footage! 

Why would a city allow this b.s. to discredit an entire downtown.  It's not even worth visiting the area with the gangs, fights, riots and what ever else! 

I am so glad we crossed paths on Sunday and got a little bbq in! 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 09:50:14 (permalink)
I go to Interstate on the way to the airport and with one thing in mind...

Bologna and BBQ Spagehtti...and I loved 'em both!  The Sock It To Me Cake was purely a reflex afterthought.  I was all in on the B & S!  These are really good versions and always solid choices! 

All that's left are a few best of trip selections...hope everyone keeps adding in!  Thanks! 
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7024
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 10:07:42 (permalink)
This has to be one of the best trip reports ever.  Those of us that couldn't attend certainly appreciate the effort by all of you that took the time to post pictures and write comments.  Thanks everyone!! 
mlm
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 13:21:05 (permalink)
Truly great trip report, one of the best! I love all of everyone's contributions, but I say again that I am devoted to your reports, BB. They got me hooked, initally, and I have gone all the way back and read and reread your reports. When one gets bumped, I start reading and think 'hmmm, this looks familiar'. If it is an old one, I sometimes move on but lots of times, I'll read it over again. You could publish them, I think.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 13:54:33 (permalink)
A few of us have already shared our picks on the actual tour, but as I had a few extra days in town, I have a few more competitors to choose from...

Best BBQ - Payne's followed really close by Cozy Corner
Best Pie - Ms. Lena's
Best Overall - Alcenia's followed really close by Doe's Eat Place
Biggest Disappointment - A&R - previously my favorite stop in Memphis - this time, not so!
Honorable Mention - McClards Tamale Pie, Stubby's Ham and beans
Surprise Moment - getting in to Family Pie Shop
Most Unique - Phillips Grocery (Holly Springs, MS)
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 14:52:49 (permalink)
An epic Roadfood adventure and an outstanding Roadfood report!  Loved every word and every picture!  (so impressed with Danny's contributions!)
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10421
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 16:48:52 (permalink)
Great choices CTD!  Can't disagree with any of them. 
schlotz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 16:53:16 (permalink)
As I was heading down to retrieve my car for the drive home Sunday morning, I ran into Cliff in the lobby.  He inquired about my drive back to Dallas and I told him I was planning to stop at Bryce's cafeteria in Texarkana on the way back.  He gave my choice his seal of approval adding that it could well be at the top in the cafeteria category.  So I was off, retracing Chester's easy exit from the hotel onto I-40 West.  Four hours later I was pulling into Bryce's parking lot.

I walked in behind a family that appeared to be coming from church, as did many of the patrons seated in the dining room.  The line had doubled back, so I had time to consider my choices...and there were so many.

Selections were promptly restored as they were taken

The staff joked around with me as I took some pics

Turkey and dressing was the Sunday special....and it was just the way I like it...

A juicy slice of turkey breast covered a moist mound of cornbread stuffing.  The luscious giblet gravy covered it all...
The cranberry sauce had a pleasant texture enhanced by small tart chunks of cranberry contrasting with the sweet cranberry base...
I added a jalepeno (peaking out from behind) to cut through some of the richness of the gravy...
Creamed potatoes and fried squash rounded out the sides, but each was excellent on it own.
The jalepeno cornbread had a crispy exterior but was moist and tender inside. 
Karo coconut pie completed the lunch with a toasted brown top and a flaky crust.  The filling was more akin to a pecan pie dense with coconut 
than the more common coconut cream pastry filling.

This was a delicious stop that I savored the rest of the way home!

Bryce's Cafeteria
2021 Mall Drive
Texarkana, TX
(903) 792-1611
post edited by schlotz - 2013/11/24 05:46:44
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 17:01:26 (permalink)
WOW!  Look at that pie selection!!!  I would of held up the line as I asked what each and every one was.  No doubt you were more considerate than that.  Thanks so much for adding your photos and descriptions Boyd.  You are a natural at this.  You should definitely post more often!  
mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 17:14:37 (permalink)
OMG, those desserts! How in the world does one ever choose?! I think I'd just have to give up and do the old 'eenie, meenie, miinie, mo' routine.
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1422
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 18:39:46 (permalink)
schlotz:  Good heavens!!!!!!!!   The desserts, of course, look fantastic, and the hot line also looks like fun.  Bookmarking Bryce's.  Thanks for sharing your post-trip adventure!
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 109
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/24 11:55:06 (permalink)
Hi guys,
Thank you all very much for the nice comments on my photos.  I had a great time reading/contributing to this thread.

Marion (mlm),
I really appreciate your kind words.  If you can, please try to make it out to one of the bus tours because you will have a memorable time.  As much as I can rave about the food, the lasting memory I will have from the Memphis/Arkansas tour will be the awesome people I met.  One more thing.  Hearing about others being TTM'd is hilarious, but having it actually happen to you is downright aggravating especially if you checked the hours in advance.  Take care.

Gregg and Cliff,
Your photos from The Four Way had me fooled.  The food actually looks quite tasty in the pics.  I am surprised none of the items stood out.  Your photography skills are superb! 

-Danny
mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/24 21:53:19 (permalink)
Hi, Chibears 15 (Danny)
Hope you didn't think I was enjoying the fact that you got Travel Manned. I am neither a good traveler or a good driver, particularly, so if I make a trip to a specific restaurant, it **** well better be open or I am not going to be a happy camper. So I can just imagine your irritation driving around a big, unfamilar city only to find that your destination is closed when it's supposed to be open. I'm sure you took it better than I would have. I'm just glad you ran into BB and CTD so your last afternoon could be a pleasure instead of a drag. Next time, you go on a trip, you might check with the others, outlining your plans, so they can give you a whole bunch of good destinations if one fizzles. Especially on Sundays and holidays, I see from people's reports, that restaurants play pretty fast and loose with their hours even if you call and ask if they are going to be open. That Would just drive me up the stinking WALL. I believe either Davydd (sp) or Mayor Al has a really great blog about all kinds of places to eat. Anyway, my dear, I would never make fun of you or your mishaps. I just thought it was ironic that you got travel manned on your very first trip Talk about a baptism by fire. Take Care and God Bless.
Marion McClung
mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/24 22:23:33 (permalink)
Danny, I just saw that your whole day on Sunday was pretty unsatisfactory before you ran into BB and CTD. Sigh. Sorry about that. Glad most of the trip was fun. Concerning that gravy, my guess is that they tried to stretch the roux by adding extra liquid. That burger looks cold, was it? I saw you were on foot too, rather than driving. Double bummer. You can only travel so far on foot. Just that much more aggravating when the BBQ place was closed. By the way, have you read many of Wandering Jew's reports yet? He walks for exercise and, judging from his reports, he can walk vast  distances. I can't. If you make many trips to the South, be sure to talk to BB and CajunKing, they seem to love the South and could tell you about a lot of good places, I bet.
     This  is only to make to make you laugh. I wonder if you've ever heard the phrase " you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince". Referring to the fairy tale, The Frog Prince, of course. Maybe you kissed enough frogs on that Sunday, so that now you're due to find a bunch of princes. I hope so. Some days I feel that I'm kissing a bunch of frogs but that's another story..... Take care.
schlotz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/25 08:33:39 (permalink)
mlm - glad you enjoyed the pie pics...

love2bake - Bryce's is certainly now on my list too...

BB - glad to jump in...I certainly find it easier to add to continuing thread...than starting one on my own...
thanks for the encouragement
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6454
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/25 15:58:23 (permalink)
HOLY &%&%)

You would NEVER get BB or CTD (ok or me) out of this place until we tried them all.  Talk about Pie Coma.

We all LOVE being TTM'd it gives us another reason to break his chops some more.  You we love ya Steve.
asherzeats
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/26 21:01:29 (permalink)
I was on the Bus Trip and have some reviews I would love to share.  You can find them on my website www.AsherZeats.com.
I am dreaming about the Gus's Fried Chicken and the Woodpecker Pie
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/27 07:46:22 (permalink)
Really nice stuff!!!  Great job and welcome to the Roadfood posting!  Any chance we get the two of you to name your favorite stops in the categories buffetbuster used a few posts ago?  Would be nice to see you guys choices!  Any new reviews for Thanksgiving? 
Rocky Enfield
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/27 16:43:13 (permalink)
Buffetbuster and others,

I will be going to Cabot, Arkansas (just north of Little Rock) December 28th to Jan 1.  I will be with my wife, kids and other family members (who are not quite the food enthusiasts that I am).  If you could recommend one stop in the Little Rock area what would it be?
Thanks,
Rocky Enfield
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/27 16:51:52 (permalink)
Great to hear from you Rocky! Without a doubt, Doe's would be my first choice. It is an all-time Roadfood great! But, it is much more expensive than the typical Roadfood restaurant.

Wanderinjew swears by a catfish restaurant in Jacksonville, AR, I believe it is called Crooked Hook, but I have never been there myself. Maybe he can tell you more.

Still hoping to get to Heinnie's soon.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/27 16:53:29 (permalink)
Asher, welcome to Roadfood. Thanks for attaching the link. I love the title "Don't be a shmoe, go to Doe's!"
post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/11/27 16:55:00
asherzeats
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/28 13:53:32 (permalink)
Here are my picks :
 Best BBQ - Interstate BBQ
 Best Pie - Ms. Lena's
 Best Overall - The Cozy Corner
 Biggest Disappointment - Ed and Kay's. To simple.
 Honorable Mention - Gus' Fried Chicken
 Surprise Moment - The Texas Toast at Doe's Eat Place
 Most Unique - Ms. Lena's 

Here are my Dad's:
Best BBQ - Cozy Corner
Best Pie Ms. Lena's
Best Overall Gus’s
Biggest Disappointment Central BBQ
Honorable Mention Doe's Eat Place
Surprise Moment - The Unexpected Pie Stop
Most Unique - Ms. Lena's

Have a Great Thanksgiving!

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/28 14:01:29 (permalink)
Excellent! Thanks so much Asher.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/29 08:46:55 (permalink)
Great list...interesting to see everyone's choices. 

BTW - I liked the Texas Toast also and was dipping it in the shrimp garlic butter.  I had a ready supply as the guy next to me kept finishing bowl after bowl of the grilled shrimp! 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/29 21:54:25 (permalink)
I am back in Memphis for a few days. My girlfriend has never been here before, so food-wise, I am trying to take her to the best food possible, along with some things she has never tried before.

She loves fried chicken, so Gus's was our first stop in town. It was a huge hit with her and after we split an order of four pieces dark meat, she wanted three more, which she quickly dispatched.

Payne's was next as the pork bbq sandwich, with plenty of crunchy outside meat and cool, mustardy slaw, was spectacular. Equally as good was the smoked sausage sandwich.

I liked the barbecue pizza at Coletta's more than she did, but she loved the barbecue salad, especially with the homemade Thousand Island and blue cheese dressings.

Not feeling well, she decided to stay in, rather than go out for dinner. Not wanting to go far, I chose Leonard's as it was less than ten minutes from the hotel. Bad choice, because the meal was dreadful. The half slab of ribs fell easily off the bone (which is not my preference) and was way too hard to chew. 7:30 on a Friday night and the place was mostly empty.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/11/29 21:57:11
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7905
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/29 22:05:55 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Can't believe you're back in Memphis...I thought you were going to stay in Nashville for the duration of your trip.

Glad to here you enjoyed Paynes (and Coletta's) again 

Sorry to hear that Leonard's sucked as much as I remembered..... 

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/29 22:08:55 (permalink)
We are in Memphis for two days before driving to Chattanooga for two more days. I have had some very good meals previously at Leonard's, as long as I ordered off the menu, but not tonight.
Page: << < ..111213 > Showing page 12 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1