Hot!2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 13
Author
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2921
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/10/29 09:20:14 (permalink)
L2B - I am a morning person often enjoying several cups of coffee before the dawn of day!  There was so much neon and other forms of lighting, it really cast a wonderful glow! 

I also need to add that I also ordered the bologna - when don't I? - and it was fried up on the flattop in short order and served with my eggs, biscuits and sausage!  I love bologna and as it contains all of life's essential nutrients, I continuously ordered it on this trip!  
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10232
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/10/30 07:45:10 (permalink)
Next stop in Corinth was the White Trolley, a small rectangular building

on the busy highway.  I was a little bummed that the restaurant wasn't inside an old trolley car.  When you walk in, all the seating is at one long counter running the length of the building.  Unlike Abe's Grill, this place was far roomier and wasn't as crowded.

Even though it was still morning, we came here not for breakfast, but the specialty of the house.....  the slugburger.  In fact, White Trolley declares itself "Home of the World Famous Slugburger"! 

Knowing that this most likely wasn't going to be the food highlight of the day, we decided ahead of time to split one slugburger three ways.  After looking at the menu board

and seeing that they were only .85 cents each, we ordered one slugcheeseburger each at .99 cents. 

So, what is a slugburger?  Well, CajunKing is the expert here on the forums and he will be visiting many of the slugburger restaurants in the area (keep an eye out for a future report), but it started as away to extend meat during war times when food was being rationed.  Originally, from what I read, flour and potato flakes were mixed in with the meat, but soybeans is more popular now.  Anyway, none of us particularly liked them.  In your mind, you are ordering a burger and when you bite into it and don't get that taste of beef, you don't react well.   I do think there is bread in the slugburger at White Trolley.  It certainly doesn't taste bad, but this isn't one of the more popular regional specialties for a reason.  Maybe it was because I knew what to expect, because it was still much better than my previous experience with one at Borroum's Drug Store here in Corinth.

Luckily, the rest of the food at White Trolley is pretty good.  My ham biscuit

was fattier than normal, but still provided big flavor in a fine little biscuit.   CTD liked his regular burger and Johnny enjoyed the creamy cole slaw on top of his slawdog. 

The young man who waited on us was very nice to these strangers with odd accents, wielding cameras.  I wouldn't mind coming back and exploring more of their regular menu.

White Trolley
1215 Highway 72E
Corinth, MS
662-287-4593         
post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/10/30 07:47:47
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/10/30 08:00:01 (permalink)
Only in this area is the default burger a slugburger!  If you want a "regular" burger, you need to order a beef burger...with or without cheese of course! 
crew84row
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 174
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/10/30 09:31:03 (permalink)
Guess I'm making Corinth a stop next trip through to see sister, instead of Tunica.  Can't wait for the Arkie stops.  There'd better be the pie and BBQ in Dewitt showing up.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/10/30 09:39:37 (permalink)
crew84row-
I don't know anything about pie or bbq in Dewitt, AR.  Please tell us more!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/10/30 09:40:29 (permalink)
Corinth was a sleeper in that we made 5 stops and they were all really different!  
crew84row
Cheeseburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/10/30 10:29:41 (permalink)
buffetbuster

crew84row-

oops my bad  I meant DeValls Bluff with Craig's Q and the Pie Shop.  Thanks for the catch.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/10/30 10:33:12 (permalink)
DeValls Bluff will be coming right up when we get to Saturday!  
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5045
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/10/30 13:02:23 (permalink)
For slugburgers are the soybeans and meat ground together or is a soy paste added to the beef?  I'm thinking that if it's the latter an Asian bean paste would do a lot for the flavor.

Great report so far, BB!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/10/30 13:10:45 (permalink)
crew84row

buffetbuster

crew84row-

oops my bad  I meant DeValls Bluff with Craig's Q and the Pie Shop.  Thanks for the catch.
Darn, I was hoping you knew about another great pie shop in Arkansas.  There certainly is a lot of great pie in that state.  And man, did we hit DeValls Bluff hard!

crew84row
Cheeseburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/10/30 13:39:03 (permalink)
There used to be a catfish place in DeWitt.  Hole in the Wall-cash only, as I recall.  Not sure if it's still around or how good.  Nearest thing to bakeries/pie shops/coffee shops were in Pine Bluff or Stuttgart.  Again apologize for the "teaser".   I'll just "shut up and let you guys eat"
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/10/30 14:31:16 (permalink)
No apology necessary crew84row!  It sure sounds like you know Arkansas well and we look forward to hearing more from you.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/10/30 15:59:34 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

For slugburgers are the soybeans and meat ground together or is a soy paste added to the beef?  I'm thinking that if it's the latter an Asian bean paste would do a lot for the flavor.

Great report so far, BB!

Pretty sure they are as it is served as one patty just like a regular beef burger.  I had mine side by side and they look pretty much the same especially as you dress with cheese and the toppings of choice were mustard, pickle and onion (raw).  It was slightly lighter in color. 
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1380
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/10/30 18:21:05 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

L2B - I am a morning person often enjoying several cups of coffee before the dawn of day!  There was so much neon and other forms of lighting, it really cast a wonderful glow! 

I also need to add that I also ordered the bologna - when don't I? - and it was fried up on the flattop in short order and served with my eggs, biscuits and sausage!  I love bologna and as it contains all of life's essential nutrients, I continuously ordered it on this trip!  

Mmmm... fried bologna.  I haven't had that since I was a kid, as I don't seem to buy bologna now.  I do buy salami, though, and fry it. 
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6383
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/10/30 22:38:23 (permalink)
ok here is the skinny on the slugburger.

White Trolley "claims" to have invented it, but the honor actually goes to the Weeks Diner, it was originally called a "Weeks" Burger.

The standard mixture is about 1/3 beef to 2/3 filler, whether that be potato flakes or soy grits or bread crumbs.  The meat and the filler is combined and the balled out and pattied, and then deep fried usually in a modified flat top grill that has been modified to hold about 1 1 1/2 inches of oil, the paties are then deep fried and then typically served with mustard, pickle and onion.

Cheese can be added as well as other condiments.

The original "Weeks" burger was created when times were tight in the Chicago area, when the weeks originator worked for a meat processor in chi town, then moved to Corinth, and that area and brought the burger with him.  Over time the the name was changed to slugburger because you could get a beef burger for a dime, but a "Weeks" burger was only a nickel (slug) hence the name has stuck and the slugburger has become a VERY, and I do mean VERY regional specific item. 

Only in NW MS, NE AL and SSW TN do you find them.  Other names for a slugburger include:

Weeks Burger
Dudie Burger
Breaded Burger
Doughburger
are the most common

I am in TN now and starting next week I will be on the hunt of the best slugburger.  So stay tuned for the thread in the trip report sections

will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 420
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/10/31 07:24:08 (permalink)
We never called it a slugburger, but I grew up thinking that you had to add moistened bread and an egg to your ground beef before making burger patties.  Then they were grilled outside.  After I grew up and left home, I realized that it was simply my Mom being thrifty and trying to make the meat stretch.  Imagine my surprise - and delight -  when I tasted my first 100% beef burger! 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/01 08:09:14 (permalink)
Thanks so much for the history lesson on the slugburger CK!  It is one of the more interesting regional specialties, just not one of the tastier ones!
love2bake
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/01 08:44:45 (permalink)
will_work_4_bbq

We never called it a slugburger, but I grew up thinking that you had to add moistened bread and an egg to your ground beef before making burger patties.  Then they were grilled outside.  After I grew up and left home, I realized that it was simply my Mom being thrifty and trying to make the meat stretch.  Imagine my surprise - and delight -  when I tasted my first 100% beef burger! 

Sounds like a very basic meatloaf!  That's not as a bad sandwich.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/01 09:03:49 (permalink)
I LOVE meat loaf and I can tell you...this ain't NO meat loaf!  I find it difficult to understand Cajun King's love of these, especially when for 10 cents more, you get a regular burger!  
love2bake
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/01 12:39:55 (permalink)
CTD - I was only referring to will_work's burgers growing up--not the slugburgers you guys got.  Mystery meat is quite different from bread and eggs added to ground beef.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/01 13:20:31 (permalink)
L2B - Sorry - thought you were comparing the slugburger ingredients to meat loaf, my mistake!  Also, I typically enjoy my meatloaf with gravy which adds another layer of desirable flavor to the whole entree.  I think it's the ratio AND the ingredients, it is somewhat baffling in  that it's so small, but so different from the beef burger.  
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6383
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/01 16:38:00 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

I LOVE meat loaf and I can tell you...this ain't NO meat loaf!  I find it difficult to understand Cajun King's love of these, especially when for 10 cents more, you get a regular burger!  

It's a SOUTH thang, you damn Yankees just dont understand. 

will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/02 08:05:05 (permalink)
love2bake

Sounds like a very basic meatloaf!  That's not as a bad sandwich.

Yes, it was like a very basic meatloaf!  And it wasn't bad (grilling it outside was a plus)....but it wasn't a 100% pure beef burger either.  I'll go with the 100% beef any day!
Funny story about hamburgers and additives....my Mom had dementia for over ten years.  When I would take her to various doctor appts, I would usually take her out to lunch or supper.  Since she loved burgers, I took her to all the best and most highly praised burger joints around.  We ate big, juicy, beefy burgers all over Birmingham for years.  Then one day, we were running short on time, so I zoomed into McDonald's and got us some burgers from the dollar menu.  Mom was elated!  "What IS this place???  This is the BEST food I ever ate!!!"  Really, Mom???  Well, I guess she lost her memories but not her taste for junk added to her burgers!  And yes (ewww!), since she loved it so much, I continued to take her there whenever I could stomach it.  Ha!
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 507
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/02 13:20:07 (permalink)
CajunKing,
I've been intrigued by the slugburger since first hearing about it, on good old Roadfood, of course.  Really looking forward to your report(s).  I'm sure you will give us a view of the insides, cut in half.  Also, what kinds of condiments are offered -- pretty much same all over, or different?

Do you think there might be an ethnic aspect -- poor people making something good out of what they had at hand?

From the comments here, I'm gathering that I won't necessarily love it.  But I still want to try one or three.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/03 12:11:05 (permalink)
Next stop in Corinth was Dilworth's Tamales,

which is drive-thru only place.  What I find interesting is that the building itself is rather large, so they definitely could do inside seating if they wanted.  Maybe it is drive-thru only because the family also lives in the building.  Or because they menu is so limited.  Or both.

The menu is simply tamales,

either hot or mild and peach cobbler.  Knowing all the food we would be consuming during our short visit to Mississippi, we decided a half dozen tamales would be enough for the three of us.  Now, two tamales each might still sound like a significant amount of food, but not these tamales.  Here is a half dozen, which come to you first wrapped in white paper,

then aluminum foil and then finally further wrapped in parchment paper. 

Unwrapping them is incredibly messy and luckily they were generous enough to provide us with one whole napkin for the three of us.  We were forced to tear the napkins into three pieces, which we found more amusing than anything else.

The tamales are very simple, make with only beef, cornmeal and spices according to the most recent Roadfood book.  And you can easily taste all three with the combination of the spices providing a nice zing more than heat.  Even though it would take at least a dozen of these to come close to a meal, we found two each to be a pleasant snack and a nice change of pace from the other food on this day.

At places like this, I usually find any kind of dessert to be an afterthought, but the peach cobbler

surprised us.  It was still hot with lots of soft, sugary sweet breading, though a little light on the peaches.

Dilworth's Tamales
111 Taylor Street
Corinth, MS
662-665-0833

Despite three stops already in Corinth, we weren't even close to be done.....     
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/03 12:15:59 (permalink)
easydoesit 
  I'm sure you will give us a view of the insides, cut in half. 

I really wanted to get a better photo of the slugburger from White Trolley.  I tried to lift off the top bun, but the cheese was stuck to it and would have ruined the whole look.  It did occur to me to ask for knife to cut it in half, but I would have felt silly since this was such a small item to begin with.  If I had it to do over again, I would have, in the name of Roadfood! 

easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 507
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/03 12:45:26 (permalink)
buffetbuster

easydoesit 
I'm sure you will give us a view of the insides, cut in half. 

I really wanted to get a better photo of the slugburger from White Trolley.  I tried to lift off the top bun, but the cheese was stuck to it and would have ruined the whole look.  It did occur to me to ask for knife to cut it in half, but I would have felt silly since this was such a small item to begin with.  If I had it to do over again, I would have, in the name of Roadfood! 

Thanks, BB.  Talking one for the team is always the most honorable endeavor.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/03 13:06:29 (permalink)
We drove around the lovely little town of Corinth, with me telling CTD and Cousin Johnny about my previous visit to town and how much I enjoyed the atmosphere of Borroum's Drug Store

Which you can read about approximately 2/3 of the way down this page.  Besides being the first place I tried a slugburger, they have a really nice old-fashioned soda fountain.  In fact, it is Mississippi's oldest operating drug store and soda fountain!  When CTD parked as if we were going to go in and eat, I was naively surprised.  I was already pushing the limits of my appetite, but CTD wanted to go in for a milkshake.  Well, who doesn't have room for a milkshake?  So, in we went.

Since it was just about noon, the place was already filled with people eating their lunch. 

The location just across the street from the county courthouse seems ideal.  Luckily, the counter was wide open, so we plopped down there.

The milkshake flavors

provided a few surprises, since you don't see the likes of grape or black walnut very often.  I inquired about the grape and the young, cute waitress just shook her head and said she wasn't a fan.  Since she would be the one who would be making them, I kept looking.  As soon as she suggested the peanut butter/banana combination, Johnny and I jumped on it. 

From our counter seats, we had the perfect view of her making the shakes, using real ice cream, scooping peanut butter out of a jar, cutting up a whole banana in each and hand mixing it on an old style mixer.  We expected these to be really good and they were even better than that.  

Thick, with a strong flavor of peanut butter and small bits of banana, this was the best shake I have had in quite a while.  We got 2 1/2 glass fulls out of the silver beaker.  In fact, I was enjoying my shake so much, I have no idea what flavor CTD ordered and enjoyed.

While we were drinking our shakes, I looked over the sandwich menu

and casually mentioned that I really liked the pimento cheese sandwich I eaten on my previous visit.  That was all CTD needed to hear and he called the waitress back over and ordered one.  No lettuce on this one,

it was tomato only, on perfectly toasted bread.  The pimento cheese was creamier and tasted wonderfully fresh, making this a big hit with all three of us.

In the back of the drug store, they have Civil War relics, plus creepy photos of past owners. 

During our time at the counter, we kept up running conversations with several of the other waitresses, since they all had to go back there to pick up their food.  This is a friendly place, with lots of personality!  Borroum's Drug Store comes highly recommended.  Just not for the slugburger!

Borroum's Drug Store
604 Waldron Street
Corinth, MS
662-286-3361

One more stop in Corinth to go. 
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/03 13:18:35 (permalink)
I would love to know what that grape shake tastes like!  I wonder if it's green or a deep purple?  Did you happen to see one?  Now I'll be pondering this.....
The pimento cheese looks wonderful!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/03 13:43:37 (permalink)
"Even though it would take at least a dozen of these to come close to a meal, we found two each to be a pleasant snack and a nice change of pace from the other food on this day. "

When you consider our previous meal was 6 minutes earlier and our next meal would be 6 minutes later, two was most definitely a pleasant snack!

I love my cobblers well spiced and with a crumb style topping and this met both criteria with great success!  I could've downed a few of these little guys! 
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1