24 Hours in Louisville

Author
sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
2014/06/13 22:11:14 (permalink)

24 Hours in Louisville

We will be in Louisville next week for a day. We will go to the Brown for a hot brown at lunch and go to the Louisville Bats game and take advantage of $1 hot dog night for dinner. The next day, our go-to place would've been Lynn's Paradise Cafe, which, alas, is no more. Havana Rumba is #1 on Trip Advisor. It seems authentic, but we're wondering if anyone's been there, or do you have other ideas? We will definitely stop at the Homemade Pie Kitchen after lunch.

9 Replies Related Threads

Uncle Groucho
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:24 Hours in Louisville 2014/06/14 06:51:04 (permalink)
    I like GarageOnMarket.com
    Use Google and look up Nulu Louisville . There are so many restaurants in that one area there is something for everyone. Use UrbanSpoon or Yelp and search Nulu.
    Louisville and changed a lot in the past 20 yrs , all for the better. most of the restaurants are in walking distance from the ball park. Sorry I cant recommend one place over another , because I like most of them equally. Have fun in Louisville.
    Karl
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:24 Hours in Louisville 2014/06/14 11:08:24 (permalink)
    We just went to Hammerhead's before a Bats game. Highly, highly recommended. They open at 5 (not 4:59), but it's less than two miles from the ballpark and we had no problem making it there after eating.
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    Re:24 Hours in Louisville 2014/06/14 18:03:09 (permalink)
    There are tons of new places to eat... there's Doc Crows, Garage Bar, Mayan Cafe, Taco Punk, Vietnam Kitchen, Palermo Viejo, Mirage, Joy Luck.. the list is endless, depends on where,what you want, cost, etc...
    Randi
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10257
    Re:24 Hours in Louisville 2014/06/14 22:01:08 (permalink)
    Uncle Groucho
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:24 Hours in Louisville 2014/06/14 22:28:52 (permalink)
    That link is for Cincinnati not Louisville . 95% of the downtown restaurants have not been reviewed on Roadfood.com , most are 2-3 years old and younger. Downtown is Booming , we have the new Yum Center and the whole area is Restaurants and Bars all making a killing on its popularity. If you haven't been here in 5 yrs you would not recognize the City. It is a VERY LIVELY city with an awesome nightlife .
     There is also the new Whiskey Row area , beautiful and safe. Have fun.
    Karl
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15275
    Re:24 Hours in Louisville 2014/06/15 06:45:07 (permalink)
    here's where the generation gap steps in! I am sorry to confess that we have really lost touch with the expansion of the new 'Food World' in the Downtown area of Louisville.  We get to the old standbys now and then---Mike Lining's for Fish, Hubers and Claudia Sanders for the Chicken, and a weekend ride down to the Moonlite BBQ in O-Boro are targets when we have out-of-town visitors, but we haven't made the downtown a priority yet.   
    sudie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    Re:24 Hours in Louisville 2014/06/21 21:50:33 (permalink)
    Report back from Louisville ....had lunch at the Brown Hotel and had the always superlative Hot Brown. Lovely, gracious service, free valet parking when eating there, and a wonderful lunch. My husband had the buffet lunch, which he liked a lot, but I needed to get my Hot Brown fix. It was delicious as always, and worth every calorie. We also enjoyed the beyond gracious service. I may need to start starching my dinner napkins! We had dinner at Slugger Field...$1 hot dog night. Great...the team doesn't look like much, though. Lunch the next day was at Havana Rumba...3 locations, and the one on Bardstown Road was the only one open for lunch. Amazing food! We split a Cuban sandwich and a Havana Rumba sandwich. Riff on a Cuban but with chorizo and provolone. Both were excellent. We had a starter of black bean stew, which was amazing. There are so many interesting looking places to eat in Louisville; I can imagine a crawl or food trip. We ended lunch at the Homemade Pie and Ice Cream Shop. I had a caramel topped apple pie...my husband had cherry pie a la mode. Both were amazing. I was seriously impressed by the quality of the crust. We brought a slice of devil's food cake home from the scratch and dent table. I can't imagine it could have been any better fresh.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5069
    Re:24 Hours in Louisville 2014/06/22 08:11:10 (permalink)
    This has been a very interesting thread!  Just out of curiosity, how's the drive between Louisville and Cincinnati in terms of time, distance, and quality?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15275
    Re:24 Hours in Louisville 2014/06/22 08:35:43 (permalink)
    This driver can make the run from the west side (in Indiana), INTO and THRU Louisville and up I-71, crossing the Ohio River again into Cincinnati in just about 90 min and 108 miles.  Going to the Cincie Airport?? deduct 15 min from that time, as the airport is actually in KY on the side closer to L-ville. 
    Quality- Except for a couple of Nascar race weekends I-71 is rural Interstate... until it merges with I-75 about 12 miles from Cinn. then it can get heavy during rush hours and holiday weekends. Otherwise, no problrms.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1