Hot!$25 fees every time you move your location?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2013
Re:$25 fees every time you move your location? 2013/07/10 12:02:00 (permalink)
It is a political process. When you work on a public street/park, city hall can make the rules. I forget the details, but when a reporter looked into the situation, the cart guys and most of their customers were not politically active......they didn't vote, or didn't vote in Worcester. The B&M guys generally vote, support local charity, belong to the Chamber of Commerce, and know how to organize.  The pols notice.

People can and do set up on private land. Those folks seem to come and go. I don't know of a single local hot dog truck/cart that has been a long term fixture.  

My own opinion, is that business brings business.  In a famous case that used to be taught in biz school, the "new" Fanuel Hall, Boston shopping area was opening with too few tenants. The manager recruited a bunch of push carts to create the look of action. Fanuel Hall opened and became very, very successful. The back story is that once the place was successful, they stuck it to the push cart guys.  
post edited by tmiles - 2013/07/10 12:58:08
Howie Pheltersnatch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:$25 fees every time you move your location? 2013/09/09 11:30:29 (permalink)
That really doesn't make any sense wouldn't the definition of a mobile vending permit mean that you could be mobile.
brickboo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
Re:$25 fees every time you move your location? 2013/09/09 13:11:56 (permalink)
I learned a lot about hot dog vending in three months that I'm extremely unhappy with. First people here really don't want to eat off of a cart. The economy sucks. If it cost more than a dollar they'd rather go to Burger King, Wendy's or Taco Bell which is cheap and they also all offer free senior sodas even to some who or 55 years old.

Other than Auctions, Horse Shows and other special events 10 - 15 times a year, the parking lots and street corner business sucks. You can probably do more events if you want to travel 200 or 300 miles, "MAYBE!!!" But it would  take maybe years to accomplish this in my neck of the woods.
This is truth for my area.
slammin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
Re:$25 fees every time you move your location? 2013/09/09 14:26:54 (permalink)
The local fish wrapper had a big article yesterday on how tough it is here (Western Colorado) to make it street vending. It was on the front page of the business section. They interviewed a woman with a trailer selling burritos ready to head south fo the winter to try to keep her head above water and a guy it a food truck loosing his rear trying to sell bbq ribs. Local HD stated that in 2008 there were only 8 (iirc) mobile vending licenses. 2013 over 80. So Boo, you have plenty of company here not making it. 
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:$25 fees every time you move your location? 2013/09/09 20:51:39 (permalink)
Sam what in the heck is the local fish wrapper the Sentinel. Ha ha!
Man it's at least great to know that it isn't all my fault. I wish I'd have known this before I got involved with the cart and waste a lot of money. I hate to sell it to someone in town buddy. I think I'm gonna offer it on Denver's Craigslist to swap for a vehicle. My Van is shaking like a leaf after tons of new parts. Can't afford new Fuel injectors or blown intake gasket. 
Thanks again for the encouragement.
djtomatoe
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 197
Re:$25 fees every time you move your location? 2013/09/19 13:37:57 (permalink)
THAT SUCKS........
I HAVE BEEN IN THE SAME LOCATION FOR 5 YEARS AND I PAY A FEE just once a year
tmiles
Re:$25 fees every time you move your location? 2013/11/17 14:19:50 (permalink)
In Worcester, Mass., they are starting to realize that pushing the carts and trucks out was a bad idea. Now they have to figure out how to put the toothpaste back into the tube. In the Boston Globe, today, there was a story about the cool trucks in various hip northeast cities. Worcester, the 2nd largest city in New England didn't make the list.

With 7 or 8 colleges, and several entertainment districts, Worcester should be cool, but it's not. IMO, some food trucks would help.
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:$25 fees every time you move your location? 2013/11/17 20:20:51 (permalink)
I'll say it once more for the folks who want to quit the man and who wants to work for themselves and make $100,000 a year slinging dogs.

This really is very simple and no where near Rocket Science. I wish I could have read this type of info somewhere before I bought a cart.

Listen close and pay attention. If there are 10 to 15 hot dog carts in your town of say 120,000 people, or a nearby area, and they have for the most part been on the same corner for 10 years or even 5 years, buy at the least 5 carts, maybe 10!!! Why? Because folks are eating hot dogs where you live and the vendors are doing well.

If you see only one cart there, check and see if the vendor is pulling the cart with a $40,000 F150, or a $400 vehicle. See if he's living in a $300,000 home or renting a crummy apartment in the slums

If this info doesn't help you make a wise decision, nothing will. I'm serious as sin,  and I'm trying to save you a bunch of frustration. I wish you the best.
post edited by brickboo - 2013/11/17 20:23:56
tmiles
Re:$25 fees every time you move your location? 2013/11/18 08:59:41 (permalink)
I don't think that the guys or gals doing well are even selling dogs anymore. The trucks with the lines are often run by folks with degrees from top schools like Johnson & Wales or Cornell. They sell well made, interesting food, cheap. (true "Roadfood") As brickboo says, it is not easy.
Midnights
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 225
Re:$25 fees every time you move your location? 2013/11/19 14:08:14 (permalink)
It depends on what you mean by selling dogs. I think Biker Jim does pretty well selling dogs here in Denver, but part of the appeal is that he sells wild game dogs (bison, elk, rattlesnake, etc.). As with anything, do something more unique and you'll pull more people in. I would not go out of my way at all (probably not even cross the street) for a dirty water dog. I would for something unique. It's not like there aren't such dogs at your better supermarkets, but it still puts him above the crowd.I would think that the Grand Junction market would really go for wild game dogs, and you wouldn't really have to compete with Biker Jim that far west.
If you don't want to go the gourmet dog route, you could try custom relishes/toppings (although you'd also likely need to up the quality of the dogs as well just a little bit, but they can still be the regular style).
Tristan225
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 352
Re:$25 fees every time you move your location? 2013/11/19 21:59:06 (permalink)
You last two posters are watching too many glorified "food truck" shows.
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:$25 fees every time you move your location? 2013/11/20 00:01:53 (permalink)
Why so many of you cannot understand this is beyond me. Grand Junction area 120,000 people, Denver area, (WHAT?) 4,5,6, million people. You could have enough folks there that might try Boiled Crayfish and maybe even Alligator on a stick.

I bet you can't find 5 people here who would even try one crayfish. They would get sick just looking at it, much less Alligator on a stick.

The 120,000 people here do not eat off of carts. I only see a couple of vendors. One is at Home Depot and a Mexican family small kitchen trailer regularly at a gas-store and a couple drifters here and there.

There was an article in the local Sentinel newspaper about vendors coming and going in Mesa County and that it was very hard here on folks trying to start a street food vending business. Also they are very strict about only allowing setting up on private property. The cops ran me of of city property in front of a small brewery on main street in Fruita. 

This is a different world over here with different animals.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1