2nd generation Roadfooders

Author
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
2006/01/21 14:19:34 (permalink)

2nd generation Roadfooders

My 19 year old daughter just called and said in a very excited voice, "Mom, guess what I'm drinking right now? A real fountain cherry coke. They squirted the cherry syrup right in there. It's not as good as Rock's Drive-In but a very good one. Wish you were here" She has recently moved to Philadelphia and has been exploring the local diner scene (Mayfair Diner today), since she and her friends always went to diners and small locally owned places rather than fast food places since they could drive.

It was one of those proud parent moments when I realized we must have done something right.

14 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15213
    RE: 2nd generation Roadfooders 2006/01/21 15:59:41 (permalink)
    Congratulations Ruby Rose. I understand how you feel. I had 'kinda' given up on the transfer of the 'Roadfood philosophy' to some of my sons...when out of the blue, last year, one of the worst of the 'quick-food' lovers called me from Jestines Kitchen in Charleston, SC to tell me how good the Shrimp and Grits were and how a friend had recommended the place after reading about it in a 'travel-food' guide !!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: 2nd generation Roadfooders 2006/01/22 13:26:59 (permalink)
    When ever my daughter flies in from Brooklyn--she ALWAYS brings Bagels!!!---and she has a list of great local places for me when we go there! ----and shes beautiful and planning on being a rich and famos rock star and supporting her dear old dad too! Gotta love a great kid like that!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: 2nd generation Roadfooders 2006/01/23 22:20:28 (permalink)
    I suppose my father, with his many faults, may have instituted a desire to eat at good, local places. It's hard to pinpoint a thing like that, but on our yearly family vacations, he would always try to find good local restaurants.

I distincly remember a family trip to Washington, DC, when I was very young. Not sure what year it was. We had driven up there, but we were taking a cab around town to see the sights. When we got back to the hotel, my dad asked the cabbie where we could get some good bbq. Believe it or not, I can still see the cabbie's face in my mind when he turned around and said (something like), "If ya wanna get some good meat, I'll hafta take ya there. You don't wanna go there by ya'self."

My mother stayed, but my dad and I went with the cabbie to the little bbq joint. We brought back a bunch of ribs and whatever to the hotel. An excellent memory.

My daughter has also followed my example. I'm not really sure how much credit I can take, but she (almost 18 now) has lost interest in the fast food that she used to love as a child. She likes to try new places, and she often talks to me about the places she's tried.

I'm very proud of her.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: 2nd generation Roadfooders 2006/01/24 08:24:18 (permalink)
    Congrats to you all. You have done it right.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: 2nd generation Roadfooders 2006/01/24 09:07:29 (permalink)
    Yeah,
    Daughters are great. My daughter, now in college, shares a restaurant fantasy with me. Since she's been little, we've opined what we'd serve at our three restaurants, if we ever opened them. She's a very fair critic of my cooking.

One lower end restaurant serves great junk food; the middle-priced one is a very comfortable family place serving American specialties, and the third is a very hoity-toity joint.

Hence, anytime I cook something new, she might suggest in which which restaurant's menu the entree would be placed, and how much it would cost. i.e. --This will be $26.95 at the Expensive Place, but an occasional special at Middle-Priced Place for $15.95, etc.

We also discuss decor, service, and the usual personnel matters.
    The Bear

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 2nd generation Roadfooders 2006/01/29 18:36:46 (permalink)
    My son Sam made me proud yesterday. A friend asked him why we went to Arizona. He told the friend " To have adventures and see new things. Sometimes we even eat new foods." I had no idea he was even paying attention.
    alfredo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: 2nd generation Roadfooders 2006/02/01 14:07:05 (permalink)
    My 10-year-old daughter is proudly carrying on the Roadfood tradition. When we travel, she points out interesting looking restaurants to try, and so far, she's done a great job.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: 2nd generation Roadfooders 2006/02/06 16:51:52 (permalink)
    I must be doing something wrong. My six-year old boy's favorite restaurants include McDonald's and Chuck E. Cheese's. Hopefully he'll improve with age.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: 2nd generation Roadfooders 2006/02/06 16:55:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

I must be doing something wrong. My six-year old boy's favorite restaurants include McDonald's and Chuck E. Cheese's. Hopefully he'll improve with age.

Don't feel bad. My five year and three year grandchildren love McDonalds but only because it has a play area.

The three year old enjoys Shoneys after church on Sunday because he likes their shrimp.

What can I say as I really have no choice.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    beentheredonethat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: 2nd generation Roadfooders 2006/02/06 18:28:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RubyRose

My 19 year old daughter just called and said in a very excited voice, "Mom, guess what I'm drinking right now? A real fountain cherry coke. They squirted the cherry syrup right in there. It's not as good as Rock's Drive-In but a very good one. Wish you were here" She has recently moved to Philadelphia and has been exploring the local diner scene (Mayfair Diner today), since she and her friends always went to diners and small locally owned places rather than fast food places since they could drive.

It was one of those proud parent moments when I realized we must have done something right.

The Mayfair Diner's day has come and gone. I remember the last time I went (and I've had many opportunities to go back, but choose not to); the elderly, and I do mean elderly, and rude, server answered when we asked for a basket of rolls (which are a given at any diner in this area), "You get one roll. What'll it be...snowflake or Eye-tal-yin?" I'm thinking, "One roll...didn't used to be like this...gotta get out of here". I'd love to know what section she's living in, RR.

Roadfood's harder to seek out in Philly, now, too, sad to say.

berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: 2nd generation Roadfooders 2006/02/06 23:16:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

Like Sundancer says, don't feel bad. Six is too young to appreciate real food. When my boys were that age, they chose McDonalds or Burger King based on what toy was being given out with the kids meal. There were several years we had birthday partys at Chuck E. Cheese so they could see the robotic show and play all the video games.

As they got older, they began to appreciate good BBQ, Chinese, and other foods. Chuck E's gave way to minature golf, and then laser tag where they don't serve food. You pay so much per kid for the games and bring in your own pizza, drinks, and cake. They provide a room for the party.

Now my boys prefer places like Dinosaur BBQ or good Philly steak sandwiches at Philly Steakout. My older son is doing a semster in DC and calls to tell me about the interesting places he has been eating. (sound familiar Ruby Rose ?)

Just give your boy time, and occasionally take him to a decent diner or someplace interesting for a burger. Make it fun. He'll come around as he hits his teens.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: 2nd generation Roadfooders 2006/02/07 14:33:46 (permalink)
    Thanks, Berndog. Good to hear. I know kids' taste changes as they get older - mine certainly did.

Now my younger son, who's not even three, also likes McDonald's and other fast food. On the other hand, he's willing to try nearly anything, which has led us to find that he enjoys Indian food and salmon, among other things. My older one wouldn't touch anything like that.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4558
    RE: 2nd generation Roadfooders 2006/02/07 14:44:17 (permalink)
    My daughters (3 and 4.5) recently experienced their mother telling them that the Dove Chocolate Cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory is the "best chocolate thing I have ever eaten in my entire life"

Ah well.

I get them out to better places when I can.....
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 2nd generation Roadfooders 2006/02/10 01:00:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

My daughters (3 and 4.5) recently experienced their mother telling them that the Dove Chocolate Cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory is the "best chocolate thing I have ever eaten in my entire life"

Ah well.

I get the out to better places when I can.....
    I feel your pain. My wife is a pretty good roadfooder but loves Red Robin and the Olive Garden. I just cannot go to either place.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1