2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Tedbear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1832
2006/05/23 17:39:33 (permalink)

2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless

If you would like to be shocked, or perhaps appalled, read the following editorial about Speaker of The House Dennis Hastert. This editorial appeared in The Capital Times, the newspaper of record of Madison, Wisconsin

Editorial: Clueless in the House
A Cap Times editorial, May 20, 2006
May 19, 2006

In the constitutionally mandated order of succession, House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., is two heartbeats away from the presidency. Unfortunately, Hastert is also two bricks short of a load.

During Wednesday evening's debate on the House budget proposal, Hastert, who famously proposed bulldozing New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina hit, announced that working families should not be looking for any tax breaks.

Why? Because Hastert does not think that working families pay taxes.

The speaker explained on the House floor that "well, folks, if you earn $40,000 a year and have a family of two, you don't pay any taxes. So you probably if you don't pay any taxes, you are not going to get a big tax cut. Now, if you earn $1 million a year, you are going to pay about $400,000 of taxes. Maybe you'll get a $40,000 tax cut ..."

Just to clarify, working families pay federal income taxes, state and local income taxes, Social Security taxes, sales taxes, gasoline taxes and most of the other taxes that rich people pay. While some very poor families got a bit of tax relief during the Clinton years, working families of the sort Hastert was talking about still pay more than their fair share.

Just imagine if this dim bulb wound up in The Oval Office!

51 Replies Related Threads

Tedbear
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/23 17:59:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by xannie_01

as opposed to the one that's already there?

Please note that I did not claim that the present occupant of the Oval Office is in danger of falling over because his cranium is top-heavy with gray matter. On the contrary, his record speaks volumes about his intellectual deficits and his administration's shortcomings, as did his resume. However, in the event of the removal of our present administration through impeachment, this dim bulb would clearly not be an improvement.
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/23 18:43:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by xannie_01

i was JUST KIDDING!

xannie01
    Well I'm not.

Tedbear Sorry I got you confused with BT

Please forgive me as I KNOW you have a heart!

Did you catch the bills on the floor of the House at the present time? 2 that really do squat! My main concern was a debate from a Dem, who pointed out QUITE ELOQUENTLY that Congress is experienceing the least amount of time to spend doing their job. I gotta scream WTF here.

Didja catch that?

I think they call it the Tues-Thurs Club.

I am incensed no matter the party.

The Rep made sense. Its Bull$hit that they work work 3 days a week..

Good to see you here,
    Respectfully,
    Copper
    Tedbear
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/23 18:58:37 (permalink)

Copper--Thank you for those kind words.

I think that despite the possibility that we may come from different political backgrounds, we are in agreement that far too many of our elected representatives are out of touch with what is going on in the hearts, the minds, and, yes...the wallets of average Americans. Too many of those who have been elected to office have been bought by special interests (Duke Cunningham is only the most glaring example, and as of a couple of days ago, Congressman Jefferson of Louisiana (??) seems to be the next poster-boy for greed and corruption) or are otherwise poorly representing our citizens and their interests.

My parents raised me to follow a very high ethical standard (recently, my work supervisor called me "strangely ethical"!), and also to have compassion for those who may be worse-off than we were, despite our lower-middle class economic status at that time. I believe that few people in elected office can say the same.

No matter what one's basic political affiliation may be, I think that the time has come to speak up about elected representatives who are not really representing our interests!
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/23 19:16:15 (permalink)

Tedbear,
    I am seriously thinking of choosing another party. While I know Independents have no chance, my heart is no longer in this sad road I see ahead of us. Whatta voting gal gotta do? Special interests make the world go round? I know you were not implying that and I feel ya

We are stuck with a lame duck, America needs leadership.....where do we go from here? I am clueless. My heart breaks for this country.

Respecfully,
    Copper
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/23 19:20:52 (permalink)
    Copper, I tried to send you an email. It did not go through. Please update you email status.

you probably know why,

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/23 19:27:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Copper, I tried to send you an email. It did not go through. Please update you email status.

you probably know why,

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I did not offend Tedbear. I hve no clue what you are talkin about unless its an earlier thing, AND I WAS RIGHT!

cynslay@charter.net.

When Sundancer calls , I'm in touble

Copper
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/23 19:50:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tedbear

Copper--Thank you for those kind words.

Anything but and if the moderators don't act, I'm prepared to respond in kind.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/23 20:38:55 (permalink)
    quote:

[Just imagine if this dim bulb wound up in The Oval Office!

what part of what he said did you not understand? A family making that amount of money using all the deductions available ends up not paying much, if anything at all, in federal income taxes. State,local, fuel, etc. taxes have nothing to do with incolme taxes.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/23 23:01:03 (permalink)
    Well, Hastert didn't say that said families don't pay any income taxes, he said that they don't pay ANY taxes. So, actually pointing out that these folks do, indeed, pay taxes, is not irrelevant. I would also like to add that my AGI last year was LESS than Hastert's threshold, and I surely did pay income taxes. I contribute to my tax sheltered retirement plan, I have a mortgage, and I have student loan interest to deduct. Still, I paid income tax. I suppose I could get married -- but, that is a very separate issue, so, while there may be SOME families who do not pay a lot of income taxes, there are some 30-something y/o single people who don't make a lot of money who pay way more than their fair share.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/24 10:52:58 (permalink)
    This thread must have been good. I gotta' check in more often.
    LindaW
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/24 11:09:18 (permalink)
    Tedbear,
    Thank you for posting that about our illustrious SotH...and that stand for Speaker of the House...so Mr. Moderator...please don't have a hissy....I shared this with family and friends...scary what our leader think they know...and actually don't.....is'nt it?
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/24 11:32:31 (permalink)
    Yet, even scarier, the article Tedbear is quoting from is an editorial, which by nature is designed to enflame. Which is precisely the response he got, and the mods deleted the responses, but not the post that started the fire.

good idea! Let's keep talking about politics on roadfood and posting flamable posts!

It's one thing to post the news, it's another to post an editorial. And then later put down the editorials of others who have differing opinions. I'm disappointed Tedbear, you are usually one who tries to put out the flames, not the one who provides the match and lighter fluid.

NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/24 11:53:27 (permalink)
    IMO it looks like Mr. Hastert was talking about the effect of cutting the federal income tax rate, not about paying no taxes of any kind.

It looks like we only have a portion of what he said so it's hard to say for sure other than I think the writer of the Op-Ed wanted to paint a picture and used what he needed to do so.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/24 13:44:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LindaW

Tedbear,
    Thank you for posting that about our illustrious SotH...and that stand for Speaker of the House...so Mr. Moderator...please don't have a hissy....I shared this with family and friends...scary what our leader think they know...and actually don't.....is'nt it?

No hissy here...
    Tedbear
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/24 14:53:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

Yet, even scarier, the article Tedbear is quoting from is an editorial, which by nature is designed to enflame. Which is precisely the response he got, and the mods deleted the responses, but not the post that started the fire.

good idea! Let's keep talking about politics on roadfood and posting flamable posts!

It's one thing to post the news, it's another to post an editorial. And then later put down the editorials of others who have differing opinions. I'm disappointed Tedbear, you are usually one who tries to put out the flames, not the one who provides the match and lighter fluid.

Unless you have evidence to the effect that Mr. Hastert was misquoted, I fail to see how this is intended to inflame. Rather, it was an attempt to inform. I always thought that reporting the actual words of a person was informative, even if it is contained within the context of an editorial.

And, in that vein, if the person who is only a couple of heartbeats away from the Presidency is as out of touch as Mr. Hastert appears to be, I think that this is newsworthy. Perhaps you differ in your opinion, which is your right in our country--at least presently.
    Paulie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/24 16:35:27 (permalink)
    Is there anyone, on this site or anywhere else, who honestly believes that the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives is unaware that citizens who earn less than $40,000 do indeed pay sales taxes, gas taxes, and a plethora of other taxes as well?

Good grief.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/24 18:19:09 (permalink)
    Maybe a better question to ask is whether or not there is anyone on this site who doesn't believe that most Washington politicians (except their own local congressman, of course) are completely out of touch with their constituents?
    Tedbear
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/24 18:23:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

Maybe a better question to ask is whether or not there is anyone on this site who doesn't believe that most Washington politicians (except their own local congressman, of course) are completely out of touch with their constituents?

You are absolutely correct, of course.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/24 18:45:58 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

Unless you have evidence to the effect that Mr. Hastert was misquoted, I fail to see how this is intended to inflame. Rather, it was an attempt to inform. I always thought that reporting the actual words of a person was informative, even if it is contained within the context of an editorial.

And, in that vein, if the person who is only a couple of heartbeats away from the Presidency is as out of touch as Mr. Hastert appears to be, I think that this is newsworthy. Perhaps you differ in your opinion, which is your right in our country--at least presently.

perhaps, the "quote" is taken out of context, an thus used for the purpose of a one-track-minded opinion writer. Do you know when these comments were made and under what circumstances? I do. And I saw them on C-Span. He said a whole lotta things. He was talking in general about income tax deductions. Sure, the quote doesn't say that, but why would he say "income" taxes, when that part of his whole deliberation was specifically on income tax as a part of the national budget. Which was later passed through the house.

What I can't believe, is that we can discuss politics on this site (an issue that is very flamable, and you should know that TedBear), but we can't talk about why the moderators continue to delete questions about deleted posts, which aren't nearly as inciting posts.
    I can't believe you're so naive to think that your post wouldn't get some highly negative feedback. Which the mods found necessary to delete.

I find a lack of respect to anyone by calling them names to be offensive. Like how, we apparently can call others who aren't using this site to be a "dim bulb" but we can't call each other that.

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/24 22:11:50 (permalink)
    I feel like I missed all the fun.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/24 23:51:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Just imagine if this dim bulb wound up in The Oval Office![/font=Tahoma][/navy]

Uhhhh, We already have a "dim bulb" of monumental proportions in the Oval Office. What difference could it make?

BTW: A person making $40k/yr. with a spouse and two kids DOES pay federal income taxes. . . and it's not a small percentage. Some people just have no clue.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/24 23:58:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

I feel like I missed all the fun.

Synopsis:
    Reddilocks gets mad, posts inflammatory and insulting prose, then gets edited/deleted. Just like the other 10,344 times.

Anger management sessions would help that one immensely.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/25 03:40:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Paulie

Is there anyone, on this site or anywhere else, who honestly believes that the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives is unaware that citizens who earn less than $40,000 do indeed pay sales taxes, gas taxes, and a plethora of other taxes as well?

Good grief.

It's not as hard to believe as it might have been once you've seen the film footage of former President Bush #1 marvelling at the barcode scanner in a supermarket after he had left office. It's shocking how isolated from reality some of these people can get.

Let me turn the question around. Is there anyone who thinks the Speaker of the House does his own taxes and thus has taken a good long look at the tax table or Pub. 17 (the basic tax guide)? I suspect the only thing Mr. Speaker really knows about the subject is from a briefing paper written for him by some junior aide. It's a fact that even regular Representatives without the Speaker's other duties rarely have time to read much of the legislation they vote on.
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/25 08:31:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by WVHillbilly

BTW: A person making $40k/yr. with a spouse and two kids DOES pay federal income taxes. . . and it's not a small percentage. Some people just have no clue.

For tax year 2005 a family of 4 using the standard deduction and personal exemption for 4 would pay $1854 dollars in Federal income tax or 4.635% on AGI of $40,000.

Whether thats a small percentage or large is personal opinion.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/25 08:43:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NebGuy

quote:

For tax year 2005 a family of 4 using the standard deduction and personal exemption for 4 would pay $1854 dollars in Federal income tax or 4.635% on AGI of $40,000.

Whether thats a small percentage or large is personal opinion.

NebGuy, That's a lot less than I paid way back when I made $40k/yr and had a family of four.
    Just curious. . . does that include SS?
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/25 09:09:07 (permalink)

Tony Bad
    Sorry I didn't check my email yesterday & thanks for stepping in for me, I'm have well pump problems, NO WATER

I wasn't telling BT to Bite This, it was meant toungue in cheeck as to what BT might stand for. He is a no-nonsense serious poster with strong opinions and a more than worthy debate advesary. I wasnt telling him to "Bite This", it was an attempt to poke humor at his screen name and "tough-guy, take no prisoners" personality. I think it better iffen I don't post directly to "him", for the good of all. There's plenty of others I can correspond with and respond to that doesnt create a hassle for you guys in your thanklesss jobs you have volunteered for..

Sorry to the Mods, (again).
    I would have deleted it myself if I had been on the computer to pick-up emails. Thanks again to the Mods for your time and patience with me.

Cooling it,

Copper
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/25 10:01:19 (permalink)
    quote:

NebGuy, That's a lot less than I paid way back when I made $40k/yr and had a family of four.
    Just curious. . . does that include SS?

No it does not. Nor does it include any state or local taxes, or any other Federal taxes which is the point I think Scorereader is trying to make that Mr. Hastert was talking specifically about Federal income tax and nothing eles when he made the quoted comment.
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/25 10:29:11 (permalink)
    Enginegnat

Anger management sessions would help that one immensely.

Actually I tried it once.
    A judge suggested it after a small altercation at the local Wallymart. Someone was parked blocking the wheelchair ramp thingy to get on the sidewalk, it was right after an accident and I was pretty mad at the world. After sitting there for a few seconds, I honked up a large & quite impressive Lugie and hurled it right at the drivers side window, yep! he wuz in there . Words were exchanged.......law enforcement called.....blah blah blah.

He was fined, I got my wrist slapped and advised of a program called Anger Management.

I only went once, cos they Pi$$ed me off and I wheeled out.

Copper

PS I'm on my feet now, but would do it again in a heartbeat.[:P]
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: 2nd in the line of succession, yet clueless 2006/05/25 10:54:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NebGuy
    Nor does it include any state or local taxes, or any other Federal taxes which is the point I think Scorereader is trying to make that Mr. Hastert was talking specifically about Federal income tax and nothing eles when he made the quoted comment.

Well, you did a good job of proving Mr. Hassert wrong and out of touch.
    Thanks
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1