3 Hot Dog Places in Phoenix

Author
acer2x
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 444
2009/04/19 14:21:00 (permalink)

3 Hot Dog Places in Phoenix

Any personal experience with these places?

http://www.phoenixmag.com/dining/food-reviews/200903/hot-dog-/

6 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10216
    Re:3 Hot Dog Places in Phoenix 2009/04/20 14:28:30 (permalink)
    acer2x

I've lived here 9 years and had not heard of 2 of these places, Two Hippees & the Chicago Dog place. Heard of Fines Cellar but never thought of it as a Hot Dog Joint. I'll be downtown on Thursday & will try Two Hippees & Report. The one on Bell Road is 50 miles from me. It's a BIG Valley of the Sun out here!
    Fines Cellar has no interest to me at all for a hot dog place.

There are plenty of other places out here that serve Chicago/ Vienna style dogs that are more "Roadfood" in nature.
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:3 Hot Dog Places in Phoenix 2009/04/21 20:35:17 (permalink)
    please, that thing at Fines is NOT a hot dog
    probably costs $12
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:3 Hot Dog Places in Phoenix 2009/04/22 01:26:25 (permalink)
    sk bob

please, that thing at Fines is NOT a hot dog
    probably costs $12

Agreed1 Fines wouldn't know a Hot Dog from a Weiner Schitzel. Fines is a Yuppie Wine Bar" />

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:3 Hot Dog Places in Phoenix 2009/04/24 12:44:08 (permalink)
    Foodbme

acer2x

I've lived here 9 years and had not heard of 2 of these places, Two Hippees & the Chicago Dog place. Heard of Fines Cellar but never thought of it as a Hot Dog Joint. I'll be downtown on Thursday & will try Two Hippees & Report. The one on Bell Road is 50 miles from me. It's a BIG Valley of the Sun out here!
    Fines Cellar has no interest to me at all for a hot dog place.

There are plenty of other places out here that serve Chicago/ Vienna style dogs that are more "Roadfood" in nature.

As Promised, here's a review of Two Hippies Magic Mushroom in Phoenix @ Indian School & 8th St.
    The place is "UNIQUE". A very small Hole-in-the Wall decorated by someone on the Drugs of choice from the '60's & '70's. Psycho-delic! Not much seating to speak of. A Small front Patio & a smaller Back Patio with bar stools facing a board that serves as a table. They feature only 3 items- Steakburgers, All Beef Hebrew National 5/1 Hot Dogs & Chicken Breast Sandwiches + Sides & Shasta Sodas. (No name brands.). ALL ITEMS ARE $3.50 regardless of toppings and the Combo meals include Shoestring Fries & soda for $5.00. That's it!!!Steakburgers include Magic Mushroom, Roasted Green Chili, Bacon, Greek, Guacamole, Cheese, Veggie & Plain, All can be topped with Lettuce Tomato & Liquid Sunshine Sauce. Hot Dog toppings other than the normal stuff like Mustard, Kraut, Chili etc include Magic Mushroom, Jalapeno & Cheese, "Georgia" which is some kind of pesto & Bacon/Cheese.
    I ordered the Magic Mushroom with Mustard & Onions Combo. The Dog is split & Flat Grilled to get a char on it. It was served on a room temp small hoagie roll, not a bun. It came to me without the shrooms. Had to take it back to get the schrooms put on it. Ate it open faced. The roll is not a good fit with the rest of it. Didn't eat the roll.  Nothing Magic about the Schrooms. just out of a can & seasoned a little. The fries were non-discript and hard. The seating was uncomfortable and it's hard to eat off a board on the wall.  Overall a below average meal. Not worth a 45 mile round trip drive.
    I will go back one more time to try the Steakburger if I'm nearby. They sell a lot more of those based on what I saw coming out of the kitchen. They looked pretty good and several people said they were good.
    Worth a one time visit to see the place, but would not go out of my way to go there again.

RoyalDogs
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re:3 Hot Dog Places in Phoenix 2009/04/24 16:28:47 (permalink)
    these places focus more on thier surroundings then the food.
    acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 444
    Re:3 Hot Dog Places in Phoenix 2009/04/28 07:31:55 (permalink)
    Foodbme:

Thanks for the review. I'll pass on a visit the next time I'm in PHX.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1