'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..."

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
  • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
  • Location: Sin City, VA
  • Status: offline
2004/01/20 08:59:29 (permalink)

'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..."

Virginia's AP reported yesterday that country / television legend (and Old Dominion resident) Jimmy Dean has been dropped by the Sara Lee Corporation as spokesman for the sausage company he founded. The "Sausage King" revealed as much in his released statement yesterday entitled, "Somebody Doesn't Like Sara Lee." The AP story can be viewed at:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031773190585&path=%21news%21vaapwire&s=1045855935241


I guess Sara Lee wasn't aware that you didn't give no lip to Big John.
#1

43 Replies Related Threads

    Sushi_Girl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    • Joined: 2004/01/06 12:51:00
    • Location: Gainesville, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 09:49:24 (permalink)
    Yay im a hamburger! okay that out of the way i think its a bad idea dropping Dean from the advertising. He is a recognizable face, an icon! the jimmy dean sausage commercials arent the same without him as far as im concerned. Appealing to younger housewives should include sticking to a name association...the product isnt named after just anyone. Im sick of all these commercials for products that have all this loud obnoxious in your face advertising, when all i want is to see comforting, reliable product placement with spokespersons that i trust.Is that so wrong? a 75 year old man isnt "old news" if he is the freaking products namesake!
    #2
    ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1110
    • Joined: 2003/03/12 22:03:00
    • Location: Wilmington, NC
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 09:55:16 (permalink)
    I do not have any sympathy for the man. He founded his business on the backs of cheap labor. At the time he was starting his business I worked for a competitor.(early 70's) He drove much of his small market cometition out of the market by making his sausage in Texas border towns using under paid Mexican workers. By doing this he was able to ship across the country & beat the prices of local sausage makers. Once he had the market he increased his prices right up there with everybody else's.
    #3
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    • Joined: 2003/03/07 08:23:00
    • Location: Sumter, SC
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 11:03:31 (permalink)
    I think I remember hearing that Jimmy DEan sued his brother to keep him out of the business !! I saw Jimmy Dean on a talk show many years ago (I think it was Merv Griffin) and he just seemed to be an arrogant, mean spirited man !! Of course that is just my impression from one show, maybe he was having a bad day !!

    I saw in the article that Sara Lee was trying to attract younger housewifes .... So I guess they will be picking up Justin Timberlake or someone of that ilk !!!
    #4
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    • Joined: 2003/03/07 08:23:00
    • Location: Sumter, SC
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 11:42:23 (permalink)
    Tis true .... if you are in a James Bond movie .... well then !!! You are the pinnacle of COOL !!! How could Sara Lee make such a mistake !!!

    I bet its a subversive plot by some nameless, faceless vegans for world domination and control of the lutefish (?sp) market !!! NO ?

    #5
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 12:06:35 (permalink)
    Oh, scbuzz, you've said the magic word (lutefisk) and now the ugly head of the dried cod has risen again. Shame on you.

    And clothier, it was "Diamonds are Forever" distinguished less by Mr. Dean's presence than the film's character name of actress Lana Wood, Plenty O'Toole. Seriously.
    #6
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 12:26:46 (permalink)
    And just to be fair to both sexes (before this thread breaks through the guard rail and hurdles down a cliff as I'm anticipating), don't forget actor Rowan Atkinson's character name in "Never Say Never Again," Nigel Small-Fawcett. Again, seriously.
    #7
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    • Joined: 2002/07/23 20:31:00
    • Location: St. Petersburg/Tampa, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 13:00:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

    Thank-you. A thousand thank yous. It was making me nuts. I almost went to look it up.

    Plenty is nice, but I still like Pussy Galore.


    Don't forget about Chu-Mi? "Plenty" of giggles "galore", with that one.
    #8
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    • Joined: 2002/07/23 20:31:00
    • Location: St. Petersburg/Tampa, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 13:01:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by i95
    Plenty O'Toole.


    No relation to Peter O'Toole, I take it.
    #9
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 13:30:54 (permalink)
    You know, clothier, I'm beginning to think we just may have a new partner-in-crime in the form of Ms. Kristi S. Shall you share with her the secret handshake or should I?
    #10
    Grampy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1559
    • Joined: 2002/10/14 18:22:00
    • Location: Greenfield, MA
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 13:51:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by i95

    Oh, scbuzz, you've said the magic word (lutefisk) and now the ugly head of the dried cod has risen again. Shame on you.

    And clothier, it was "Diamonds are Forever" distinguished less by Mr. Dean's presence than the film's character name of actress Lana Wood, Plenty O'Toole. Seriously.



    I loved the exchange:
    Wood: I'm Plenty.
    Connery: I'll say you are.

    BTW, Pierce Brosnan is in Bond films, and he is anything but cool.
    #11
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18462
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 14:04:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

    I think I remember hearing that Jimmy DEan sued his brother to keep him out of the business !! I saw Jimmy Dean on a talk show many years ago (I think it was Merv Griffin) and he just seemed to be an arrogant, mean spirited man !! Of course that is just my impression from one show, maybe he was having a bad day !!

    I saw in the article that Sara Lee was trying to attract younger housewifes .... So I guess they will be picking up Justin Timberlake or someone of that ilk !!!
    I hunted with Jimmy Dean once and found him to be a very friendly guy.
    #12
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 14:16:16 (permalink)
    Brevity is best. How about just "girls allowed." Ask the Rules Chair, Grampy, though.
    #13
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    • Joined: 2003/05/22 10:02:00
    • Location: Houston, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 14:22:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

    I think I remember hearing that Jimmy DEan sued his brother to keep him out of the business !! I saw Jimmy Dean on a talk show many years ago (I think it was Merv Griffin) and he just seemed to be an arrogant, mean spirited man !! Of course that is just my impression from one show, maybe he was having a bad day !!

    I saw in the article that Sara Lee was trying to attract younger housewifes .... So I guess they will be picking up Justin Timberlake or someone of that ilk !!!
    I hunted with Jimmy Dean once and found him to be a very friendly guy.


    What and where did you hunt? Any where in Texas?
    #14
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18462
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 14:47:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

    I think I remember hearing that Jimmy DEan sued his brother to keep him out of the business !! I saw Jimmy Dean on a talk show many years ago (I think it was Merv Griffin) and he just seemed to be an arrogant, mean spirited man !! Of course that is just my impression from one show, maybe he was having a bad day !!

    I saw in the article that Sara Lee was trying to attract younger housewifes .... So I guess they will be picking up Justin Timberlake or someone of that ilk !!!
    I hunted with Jimmy Dean once and found him to be a very friendly guy.


    What and where did you hunt? Any where in Texas?
    We were hunting quail in South Carolina.
    #15
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    • Joined: 2002/07/23 20:31:00
    • Location: St. Petersburg/Tampa, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 14:58:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

    Is room for another name? Or do we just want to get a new sign that say "only cool girls allowed"?



    I'm cool. I'm definitely cooler than Jimmy Dean.
    #16
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 15:01:22 (permalink)
    She's in. Get your uniform from either EliseT, redtressed or chezkatie.
    #17
    redtressed
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1017
    • Joined: 2001/05/10 19:50:00
    • Location: Morgantown, WV
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 18:02:12 (permalink)
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm but where are we going to hold the secret initiation ritual this time. They've banned us out of the Blue Oyster forevermore thanks to Grampy
    #18
    Grampy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1559
    • Joined: 2002/10/14 18:22:00
    • Location: Greenfield, MA
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 18:04:13 (permalink)
    Can't take me anywhere. May I suggest Vito's Black & Blue Room?
    #19
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15281
    • Joined: 2002/08/20 22:32:00
    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 19:39:59 (permalink)
    Any Business the makes Bali Bra's, Hanes underwear, Kiwi Shoe Polish, Bimbo Buns and bread, the Wonder Bra, Ball Park franks, Hillshire Farms sausages, Playtex and Barely There, can probably do without a 75 yr old anything, anytime, anywhere. Or maybe they could consolidate and have Jimmy model some of the products in his black combat boots with a Hillshire Farms product in each hand...etc etc.
    #20
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    • Joined: 2001/07/11 13:25:00
    • Location: L.A, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 21:33:35 (permalink)
    Is there a test for membership in this club??? Here are some suggestions:

    1. Name the city famous for the "garbage plate"

    2. What state is outraged by beans in chili?

    3. Name one state that BBQs with sauce and one that doesn't

    3. Who is obsessed with lutefisk?

    More?

    By the way, I loved it when Roy Orbison was on SCTV's "Rockpile" and Eugene Levy as the host asks, "Why didn't you ever start a sausage company like Jimmy Dean?"
    #21
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3755
    • Joined: 2003/03/25 02:02:00
    • Location: Central FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/20 22:03:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by i95

    Oh, scbuzz, you've said the magic word (lutefisk) and now the ugly head of the dried cod has risen again. Shame on you.

    And clothier, it was "Diamonds are Forever" distinguished less by Mr. Dean's presence than the film's character name of actress Lana Wood, Plenty O'Toole. Seriously.



    "Diamonds" also featured my favorite of the female villains -- Bambi and Thumper! Yikes! Psycho Amazon killers from hell. All that, AND Jill St John....might make it the best Bond movie ever!

    Steve
    #22
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/21 07:56:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

    should we tell her that Lone Star is in charge of hazing?


    quote:
    Originally posted by redtressed

    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm but where are we going to hold the secret initiation ritual this time. They've banned us out of the Blue Oyster forevermore thanks to Grampy


    You're both right. Lone Star, would you mind making a trip to the rendering company this morning and this time don't be so conservative as to the quantity of eyeballs or intestines.

    And redtressed, Blue Oyster is a cult. They've just gotta let us back in. Afterall, we're believers. We're followers. And more importantly, indeed, we don't fear the reaper.
    #23
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/21 07:58:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

    Is there a test for membership in this club??? Here are some suggestions:

    1. Name the city famous for the "garbage plate"

    2. What state is outraged by beans in chili?

    3. Name one state that BBQs with sauce and one that doesn't

    3. Who is obsessed with lutefisk?




    As long as we can make all four questions smell tests.
    #24
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/21 07:59:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

    quote:
    Originally posted by i95

    Oh, scbuzz, you've said the magic word (lutefisk) and now the ugly head of the dried cod has risen again. Shame on you.

    And clothier, it was "Diamonds are Forever" distinguished less by Mr. Dean's presence than the film's character name of actress Lana Wood, Plenty O'Toole. Seriously.



    "Diamonds" also featured my favorite of the female villains -- Bambi and Thumper! Yikes! Psycho Amazon killers from hell. All that, AND Jill St John....might make it the best Bond movie ever!

    Steve


    #25
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    • Joined: 2002/07/23 20:31:00
    • Location: St. Petersburg/Tampa, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/21 08:27:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by i95

    Originally posted by EliseT

    1. Name the city famous for the "garbage plate"

    2. What state is outraged by beans in chili?

    3. Name one state that BBQs with sauce and one that doesn't

    3. Who is obsessed with lutefisk?



    Rochester
    Texas
    South Carolina/Tennessee
    Lutefisk?

    These are all pre-morning coffee guesses. I know #1 is right. And by the way, I am proud to be in the club. Thanks, clothier & i95.
    #26
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/21 09:33:03 (permalink)
    Heh-heh...he said member.
    #27
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/21 09:56:42 (permalink)
    Heh-heh...he said pound.
    #28
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/21 10:33:07 (permalink)
    Heh-heh...he said house.

    (Actually, that makes no sense at all. I was just tapped-out.)
    #29
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    • Joined: 2002/07/23 20:31:00
    • Location: St. Petersburg/Tampa, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: 'SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE SARA LEE..." 2004/01/21 10:35:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by i95

    Heh-heh...he said house.

    (Actually, that makes no sense at all. I was just tapped-out.)

    He said sausage!
    #30
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1