The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

5 Guys

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 2 of 7, messages 31 to 60 of 197
John A

• Total Posts: 4295
Re:5 Guys Fri, 02/6/09 6:16 AM (permalink)
CCinNJ

What does a cartload of Five Guys fries go for, these days?

If I have leftover fries(and they are tasty) I will make potato salad with them. Usually, very delicious. 

That's interesting. Want to share the secret recipe CC?

If I had leftovers, I would not give them to my homeless friends. I will buy an entire meal for them, instead.

I'm with you. Been there, done that.

I can do it, and it usually puts things into proper perspective, for me. Nothing is such a big deal, when I realize how blessed I am, in life.

tfrielin

• Total Posts: 440
    Re:5 Guys Fri, 02/6/09 8:05 AM (permalink)
    ellen4641

TFRIELIN: Besides the onions and sauce, I LOVE the S&S long , thin PICKLE SPEARS!!

Oh, yeah--I love those thin-sliced long pickles too!

tfrielin

• Total Posts: 440
      Re:5 Guys Fri, 02/6/09 8:45 AM (permalink)
      CCinNJ

If I had leftovers, I would not give them to my homeless friends. I will buy an entire meal for them, instead. I can do it, and it usually puts things into proper perspective, for me. Nothing is such a big deal, when I realize how blessed I am, in life.

I'm sure I come across as cold or selfish or both when I say I do not give my surplus fries to the homeless guys who hang out in downtown Athens. But there are other, better ways to help these guys, like contributing to the local homeless shelters. There are also special parking meters you can feed downtown where the money goes to help support shelters.

But, as I said earlier, if everyone bought the homeless guys a meal every day, downtown would be overrun with them and business and public safety would suffer.

Just two days ago a homeless man tried to rob at knifepoint, a group of UGA students not fifty feet from where our Five Guys hamburger joint is located.  I work on campus and happened to know this particular perpatrator as he frequents the building in which I work.  He apparently has mental problems as do most of the homeless.  Or they suffer from drug or alcohol addictions and tend to panhandle for money during the day and often rob people at night.

In short, they need far more help than a free meal or two can provide.

I wish the solution to helping these guys was that simple, but it's not and compromising the public safety in the downtown business district would in the long run hurt a lot more local, small business owners than it would help solve the problems of the local homeless.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
        Re:5 Guys Fri, 02/6/09 9:24 AM (permalink)
        We have a Five Guys here and about a mile down the road, a Jake's Hamburger.  Jakes is a local Wilmington DE chain, of about 5-6 stores.  They are a little cheaper than 5 Guys, but otherwise their quality is about the same. Fries at 5 guys are a little bit better, and there are a heck of a lot more.  Either is good in a pinch and way above the other FF type places, but still not what I really, really crave in a good burger!

Having said that, I should relate the story of my youth, oh those many decades ago, and a nostalgic look at what a 10 year old used to assume was the "perfect" burger (times and taste have since changed).

I grew up on Cape Cod - a year rounder townie. One of the joys was we also belonged to the local yacht club where my parents could dump me for several hours a day under semi-supervision.  The club did dinners, but also had a grill for daytime goodies.  Run - by what seemed to me - a 100 year old 400 lb woman, it had one of those great huge griddles and there was always a pot of melted butter in the back.  I think only hotdogs and hamburgers were offered, both done on the grill. The usual assortment of drinks and ice cream novelties were on sale as well as chips.  No fries.

Now this woman would take the pre-formed burger patties and slap them on the grill for about 2 hours to make sure every last micro-gram of fat was released. Pressing it regularly would make a for a nice blast of sizzle and smoke. But the best part was she would take your typical burger bun - probably Wonderbread Brand - and lather on some of the melted butter and drop them on the grill.  What made it especially memorable was she would then take this big slab of metal with a handle on it and press it down on the bun until it was about as thick as 4 sheets of typing (you younger folks can read that as laser) paper. When it was perfectly grilled, it would go on to a small paper plate along with the burger and for 25 cents you had that and a bag of chips.  The whole thing could not have been more than a half inch high, usually dripping with a bit of butter.  You were at the beach, so napkins were optional.

I must have eaten about 500 or so of those during my younger days and always was in 7th 8th and 9th heavens when i could get one.  Of course, I could never figure out why when we had them at home, they couldn't be this wonderful!

Oh.and if you went for the dog, it too was grilled and she'd slather on a little butter to make sure the dogs got nicely browned.  The roll (top cut only..we were in New England) got the same treatment as the burger roll. So the hot dog would come out with this "veneer" of a roll round it. If you were feeling adventurous, mustard ketchup and relish was available and, sometimes, even chopped onion.  You were allowed the chopped onion on you dog but not your hamburg.  Who knows why?  The smarter of us got so we would order a 1and1 combo and sneak a few over onto the burger.

I probably haven't had a burger like that in 40 years, but it sure does bring back the memories (It probably also makes me suspect if I try and rate any burger places on here, so be forewarned!)  

And no, I don't order them like that anymore.....I have "matured"
        <message edited by FriedClamFanatic on Fri, 02/6/09 9:28 AM>

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
          Re:5 Guys Fri, 02/6/09 10:13 AM (permalink)
          I've never had a bad burger at Five Guys...then again, I've only been to the original locations in Arlington.  So, I can't tell you if the franchises are screwing it up, because I wouldn't go into one.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
            Re:5 Guys Fri, 02/6/09 1:52 PM (permalink)
            tfrielin

CCinNJ

If I had leftovers, I would not give them to my homeless friends. I will buy an entire meal for them, instead. I can do it, and it usually puts things into proper perspective, for me. Nothing is such a big deal, when I realize how blessed I am, in life.

I'm sure I come across as cold or selfish or both when I say I do not give my surplus fries to the homeless guys who hang out in downtown Athens. But there are other, better ways to help these guys, like contributing to the local homeless shelters. There are also special parking meters you can feed downtown where the money goes to help support shelters.

But, as I said earlier, if everyone bought the homeless guys a meal every day, downtown would be overrun with them and business and public safety would suffer.

Just two days ago a homeless man tried to rob at knifepoint, a group of UGA students not fifty feet from where our Five Guys hamburger joint is located.  I work on campus and happened to know this particular perpatrator as he frequents the building in which I work.  He apparently has mental problems as do most of the homeless.  Or they suffer from drug or alcohol addictions and tend to panhandle for money during the day and often rob people at night.

In short, they need far more help than a free meal or two can provide.

I wish the solution to helping these guys was that simple, but it's not and compromising the public safety in the downtown business district would in the long run hurt a lot more local, small business owners than it would help solve the problems of the local homeless.

It does not start or stop on the street. If buying a meal for a homeless friend, was ALL I did, I would not chime in, about the topic. If I had no personal experience, I may find it difficult to realize or recognize people are individuals, and with that, they all do not get lumped into a group of dangerous bandits. Some people on the street do bad things, and are dangerous people. Just like all the people with homes, money and a daily resource for meals, are not all good.

That is why I qualify with "my homeless friends" not "the homeless". I know many wonderful people who have been through a shelter, and are on a waiting list for housing. Sadly, sometimes shelters are more dangerous than the street, for a good person, who has circumstances beyond their control. If/when you are really involved, you know the good people. They become friends, and they are  individuals. That is seperate from criminals, on the street. No matter if you are homeless, or live in a mansion, crime is crime. Like I said, I speak from my own personal experience, many years ago. I am not a drug addict, or a criminal,  with mental problems.

That is by no means a judgement call, for you, as a person. I always focus on what I can and will do, rather than focus on what other people are not doing. Again, a characteristic as an individual. It is just not so simple (or accurate), to catagorize ANY group of people, with a general statement, or stereotype.

John, it is pretty much an informal exercise, and the recipes may vary, based on your preference, and desire, at any given time. Since fries have a richer flavor, and body (rather than starting with a plain potato), a little of your favorite potato salad mixins go a long way.  Mayo, vinegar, chopped eggs, celery, onion...whatever goes. You are fit as a fiddle, so go play, boy!!
            <message edited by CCinNJ on Fri, 02/6/09 2:16 PM>

bosco lover

• Total Posts: 155
              Re:5 Guys Fri, 02/6/09 5:08 PM (permalink)
              i can't understand why you daytona area guys would even bother with 5 guys, when you've got the brickyard right there (my mouth waters at the thought)

don't have any really good burger spots in my town, so i'll do 5 guys occasionally. they're  ok  burgers, but the fries really are great if you ask for them well done

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                Re:5 Guys Sat, 02/7/09 9:18 PM (permalink)
                bosco lover

i can't understand why you daytona area guys would even bother with 5 guys, when you've got the brickyard right there (my mouth waters at the thought)

don't have any really good burger spots in my town, so i'll do 5 guys occasionally. they're  ok  burgers, but the fries really are great if you ask for them well done

I will answer for "those daytona area guys", my special buds, as I know they won't mind...
                They LOVE the BRICKYARD, and so do I !! (I even flew down there from NJ twice for those burgers!)

5 Guys is just for a little something different, every once in awhile....
                (and Baah Ben will probably JUST get the fries next time, as he did'nt like the burger very much at all)

the acting man

• Total Posts: 63
                  Re:5 Guys Tue, 02/10/09 11:30 AM (permalink)
                  CCinNJ
                  I will be attending a business meeting on Thursday, and will most likely eat a hamburger that costs around $40. Is that pretentious? No! That is business, and I will not be paying for it. Is that pretentious? No! That is smart. Is that pretentious? No! Pretentious would mean that I did not work hard (which is not smart), for that free burger, and that business deal.

For me, personally, it's all about the product.  That $40 burger is under the same scrutiny as that 59-cent White Castle Slyder as it is that $50 15-pounder in Clearfield, PA.  Maybe there's a reason why the joint needs to charge $40 for it...maybe it cures cancer, or uses meat from an endangered species, or is authentically drawn from a prize-winning cow, whatever.  When it comes to pretentious matters, as subjective as they are, if the reason that hamburger patty is $40 has *anything* to do with its accessibility, then sound the drivel alarm.

We're all guilty of our own palette hypocrisies and how we choose to indulge them.  I just never realized how over-the-top it was in this city where concerning the burger.  Five Guys, love 'em or hate 'em, is quite the sight for sore eyes. 

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                    Re:5 Guys Tue, 02/10/09 12:52 PM (permalink)
                    I had a Five Guys burger and fries Saturday after a morning of moving furniture for some friends, and it was darn good.  I don't think that was the hunger talking either.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      Re:5 Guys Wed, 02/11/09 8:10 AM (permalink)
                      I don't know the franchising rules or standards for 5 Guys, but it seems like a real fast moving business...That isn't always a good thing for the individual franchiser.
                         Example-  In the strip mall where our local Grater's Ice Cream Parlor is located a new 5 Guys just opened a week or so ago. The parking area in this strip mall is very limited...with rather difficult access to the place for anything bigger than a Kia. (and no drive-up window at 5 Guys.)
                         The thing that makes me think this is a bad choice is that it is barely 2 miles to "the" other 5 Guys Store in New Albany, IN. The Other store is in a former video rental store that sits in a very large Target-Store parking lot...With a Chick-Fil-A store right next door. It would seem to be the better choice of the two locations for the lunch-break "easy in-easy out" crowd.

I wonder what kind of location-finder support the corporation lends to it's franchise buyers?

Scorereader

Re:5 Guys Wed, 02/11/09 9:01 AM (permalink)
                        Al - I don't think any Five Guys has a drive thru. Strip malls/plazas tend to be where Five Guys locate themselves.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                          Re:5 Guys Wed, 02/11/09 9:54 AM (permalink)
                          We have a new one at the corner of Forest & Trenholm in an old gas station.  It's pretty cutely done.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                            Re:5 Guys Wed, 02/11/09 10:35 AM (permalink)

Score-
                                I was using a drive-thru as a possible traffic-problem-solver for what has to be a real limited access store for the 5 Guys chain. I agree, I have never seen a drive-thru at any of their stores. I think the strip-mall location (in this case) will fail in a short time...for two reasons: 1. proximity to the larger "better" access 5 Guys for the customer who want that brand.  AND  2. difficulty at getting into the smaller store (it is a very tight squeeze for cars and pick-ups) Remember this is Hoosier land, Home of the full-sized Trucks !

the acting man

• Total Posts: 63
                              • Location: Philly burbs or Brooklyn, NY...take your pick!
                              Re:5 Guys Wed, 02/11/09 6:11 PM (permalink)
                              mayor al

I don't know the franchising rules or standards for 5 Guys, but it seems like a real fast moving business...That isn't always a good thing for the individual franchiser...

...I wonder what kind of location-finder support the corporation lends to it's franchise buyers?

That's a good question.  I saw something similar in King of Prussia, PA where they just put a Five Guys in the KoP Mall *and* one in a kind of hard to reach strip mall with a Trader Joe's store in there.  You can find the other chains represented in the KoP Mall safely populating the toward the road or in the parking lots of other, easier to access strip malls, but not Five Guys.

Every Five Guys I've seen, though, have usually populated one space in a strip mall rather than getting their own stand-alone structure...kind of like what Little Caesars does/used to do.  The thing with this KoP one, though, was that it was not very accessible...my girlfriend's from the area, and even she thought it was a bit odd.  Trader Joe's is "fringe" enough to get away with pulling something like that off...they're never without many loyal customers...but a "bourgeois" burger joint?

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3662
                                Re:5 Guys Wed, 02/11/09 6:56 PM (permalink)
                                25 miles from me, they have a stand-alone  5 Guys with lots of parking space around it.  Unforturnately, I have never seen that many cars around there............guess it must be because folks up our way  like our burgers medium rare or rare~

WhoopiePie

• Total Posts: 14
                                  Re:5 Guys Wed, 02/11/09 7:55 PM (permalink)
                                  There are two, 5 Guys in my area.  One location is a stand-alone restaurant located in a former Rax Roast Beef restaurant.  The other is in a small strip mall.  I have had good experiences in both locations.  I would call my 5Guys burgers messy, but not greasy.

I agree with "the acting man" with the 5 Guys location near King of Prussia.  I routinely go to Trader Joe's every couple of months but it took me many times before I noticed that the same mall had a 5 Guys.

Contrast 5 Guys with In-N-Out Burger on the West Coast.  There are many similarities in menu, but I am thinking about the locations in particular.  In-N-Out always pays a premium for location.  Maybe that is what you learn after 60 years in the burger business?

Scorereader

Re:5 Guys Thu, 02/12/09 10:29 AM (permalink)
                                    mayor al

Score-
                                        I was using a drive-thru as a possible traffic-problem-solver for what has to be a real limited access store for the 5 Guys chain. I agree, I have never seen a drive-thru at any of their stores. I think the strip-mall location (in this case) will fail in a short time...for two reasons: 1. proximity to the larger "better" access 5 Guys for the customer who want that brand.  AND  2. difficulty at getting into the smaller store (it is a very tight squeeze for cars and pick-ups) Remember this is Hoosier land, Home of the full-sized Trucks !

you may be right. But FiveGuys do not do drive thrus. So, if Hoosiers want a drive thru, they won't get it from Five Guys.
                                    As per using strip malls and spots off the beaten path, well that probably has to do with the franchisee who is looking for the lower rent to start up their business, maybe? not sure.

<message edited by Scorereader on Thu, 02/12/09 10:33 AM>

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                                      Five Guys Burgers Fri, 06/5/09 9:47 PM (permalink)
                                      I know there are a numbers of threads on 5 Guys but I couldn't find the one I wanted to add this to. (this search funtions drives me nuts). so I started this one.
                                        I had to go from Daytona to St. Petersburg FL. to pick up a new trailer the company I work for bought.
                                        Going thru Lakelend on I-4 around lunchtime I saw a billboard for Five Guys Burgers "now open". having seen it on RF I had to stop.
                                        of course I didn't bring the camera so no pics, sorry.
                                        the burgers are hand formed & cooked to order. each burger has 2 patties on them. except for the little burgers which have only one.
                                        all the "add ons" are free & a good selection of them also.
                                        I got a hamburger with only ketchup & grilled  mushrooms $4.39. A regular  fry $2.59 & a regular soda $1.59.
                                      total w/tax $9.17. the burger was good size, nice & juicy on a toasted bun, but nothing fantastic.
                                      the fries were fresh cut & a generuos helping enough for 2 people.
                                        no combo meals at this place.
                                      I think the price for lunch at a place like this was too high for 1 person. decent stuff but not for the price.
                                      sorry for no pics, I took these when I got home

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                                        Re:Five Guys Burgers Fri, 06/5/09 10:22 PM (permalink)
                                        SK - One is coming to Port Orange...I love the fries..Not the burgers.

Keep on truckin.

sk bob

Re:Five Guys Burgers Fri, 06/5/09 10:29 PM (permalink)
                                          we'll split a large fry & a 6 pack in the parking lot when they open.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                                            Re:Five Guys Burgers Fri, 06/5/09 10:30 PM (permalink)
                                            Bob,

Your review corrborates what other Roadfooders have written about the chain in other threads. My suggestion, especially if two people are going, is to get the "Little Burger" AKA, a single, and split one order of fries.

Tony Bad

Re:Five Guys Burgers Fri, 06/5/09 10:33 PM (permalink)
                                              I lived near the original in Northern VA back in the 80's and loved it. Hadn't had their food in 20 years until one opened nearby me here in NY. The prices seem the same here as they are in FL.

The price is a bit high, but a decent lunch w/ drink at a local deli is about the same price. I stopped at Burger King a few weeks ago and was surprised when a "value meal" for one of their deluxe chicken sandwiches (which was not so good) was almost $8!!

Baah Ben

Re:Five Guys Burgers Fri, 06/5/09 11:16 PM (permalink)
                                                Sk - Done deal..I really love their fries.  And they give you a huge portion.  I did not try the burger because I don't like that type of griddled burger and I saw the fries were going to be more than I could handle. I don't like Steak n Shake's burger either.  They both smash the crap out of them..Why?   

But, I will try a burger in Port Orange.  Only place I remember getting that amount of fries (actually a lot more) in a regular order was at The Dirty O in Pittsburgh.

I wonder how BuffetBuster compares 5 Guys fries to those at the Original?  Both use peanut oil, both use Idahos, but both do not use the same types of fryers!  Maybe he'll catch this and answer....Personally, I think they are real close.  I do think placing them in a brown bag vs an open tray like at the Original does them a slight disservice.  They start to steam, but if you open the bag up real quick, all is well. 

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  Re:Five Guys Burgers Sat, 06/6/09 12:13 AM (permalink)
                                                  We have recently had two FIVE GUYS Stands open up here on the Indiana side of Louisville. We have tried them a couple of times and can make a couple of observations.

1. The prices are quite a bit higher than places I would consider to be "competitive" to this company- Rally'sand Sonic being in the same catagory (IMHO).

2. Yes, they do make very good French Fries and do 'overfill' the bag most of the time when you get an order. However my main purpose for stopping is for the Burger and frankly theirs is BETTER than Sonic, but NOT AS GOOD AS Rallys- again , my opinion only.

3. I like the seasoned fries at Rallys and the convenience of the drive-thru service at the Rallys stand better than the crowded...and very greasy floor (painted concrete) at our Five Guys.

I won't "not go" to a Five Guys Stand, but in this world of many choices, it would not be at the top of my list when we are out and decide that it is 'Burger Time'.

Baah Ben

• Location: Ormond Beach, FL
                                                    Re:Five Guys Burgers Sat, 06/6/09 1:12 AM (permalink)
                                                    I was in one (?) of their Lakeland, Florida stores (I thought I was in the only one..Now there is another one?) and the place was so sparsly decorated for a national chain (would you call them a national chain?).  I was very surprised at the appearance of this store.  I believe I mentioned this in my report.

Normally, I don't pay that much attention to decor; I do focus on cleanliness unless I just love the food that much that I'll put up with just about anything.  But, I really was taken back by how little was invested in the interior of this particular unit. 

I wonder if the store we are about to get in Port Orange, FL , will be an upgraded model... ?

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      Re:Five Guys Burgers Sat, 06/6/09 8:26 AM (permalink)
                                                      Our Indiana stores fit the discription Ben listed. Big Brown Bags of various 'stock' are stacked against the wall in the eating area.  I had the feeling that I was eating in the employee break-room !

I would also point out that when we 'grab-a-Burger', that's exactly what we do. Normally we are running errands and don't mind eating in the truck as part of the scheduled trip.  So a sit-down Burger is not our regular plan!

sk bob

• Location: South Daytona, FL
                                                        Re:Five Guys Burgers Sat, 06/6/09 8:59 AM (permalink)
                                                        I think the burgers are much better than Sonic & actually fill the bun.
                                                        A little burger with only 1 pattie is just an appetizer.

db1105

• Total Posts: 185
                                                          • Location: Wilmington, DE
                                                          Re:Five Guys Burgers Sun, 06/7/09 10:03 PM (permalink)
                                                          Why must they squeeze every bit of juice out of their burgers? The animals is dead already, they should let it cook in peace.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                                            • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Five Guys Burgers Mon, 06/8/09 4:07 AM (permalink)
                                                            Ben, they all look like that.

I think their burger is better then any of the other chain places. But can't touch In 'N Out burgers.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 2 of 7, messages 31 to 60 of 197

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com