5 Guys

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/08 07:27:56 (permalink)
I have stopped at Five Guys several times.  Like many others, I consider their burger OK.  The fries are very good and generous.  It however is not a destination.  If it is handy and I am hungry, I will stop.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/08 09:39:08 (permalink)
Mike S - I have heard In and Out was pretty good.  I recall posters going to visit  Vegas saying the must get an In and Out Burger.

SK - I had a Sonic burger once...Once was enough for me.  But, I love their sodas and shakes and their line of interesting drinks and sundaes.   But, that's it.  Acutally a good idea is to take out a couple of slices from Luigi's and stop at Sonic for your drink!  You can watch all the girls on roller skates, have two slices of good pizza and a lime rickey.

There is a small local hamburger chain (3-4 locations?) that I happen to think could be a success nationally.  Char Hutt.  They don't smash the you know what out of their burgers.  They are incredibly tasty because they are fresh meat burgers done on a gas char broiler.  They are delicious.  

They also have a terrific version of onion rings and thechar brolied chicken, a skinless hot dog (ugh) etc.  Their fries and nothing to write home about.  If they made them like 5 Guys does theirs, this place would be a fast food home run!  But, their stores are not set up for fresh cut fries. 

I'm surprised they have not gone national..Hey, I'm surprised they have not ventured out of Broward actually.  Maybe they have?  Or will?  MD may known? If you are in the Ft. Lauderdale area and you like fast food type thin burgers in a fast food environment, I highly recommend you try one.  Every burger is cooked to order..You choose your toppings, etc.

Looks like we can expect the same type 5 Guys.  That's ok..I'm happy they are coming.  The more the better here!  
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/08 10:36:25 (permalink)
Baah Ben:

I am rarely in Broward county, and when I am, it's because I am going to an event/dinner, so it'll be a while before I make it to Char Hut.  Sounds good, though.

I am glad that 5 Guys exists, and is expanding, because it is better than McWendyKing's at most things.  It's not great, though.  The stores have all the ambiance of a gas station, and the service is strictly assembly-line; you're not going to interact with a cook.  The burgers are cooked on a flat-top grill, which is a second-rate way to cook them, and are only available over done.

I have had the fries at two locations, and they bordered on limp at both.  Observing the digital readout on the friers, it seems as though they single-fry them at 340º.  Then they bag and steam them. 

The price borders on expensive for a non-table-service restaurant.  The various annoyances would be acceptable if it were a bargain restaurant.  Heck, even McDonald's gives one a tray with a fresh paper liner for one's food - not so at 5 Guys.  Your torn-open bag is your dining surface, and that's after digging through the fries to extract your burger.    For about $3.50 more (including tip), I can get a half-pound Angus beef bacon cheddar cheeseburger cooked on a flame broiler with full table service.  And that includes freshly-cut, properly double-fried fries.

I do like their split and grilled, all-beef, kosher-style hot dog.  You can choose the same toppings as for the hamburgers.

I don't get the statement that the In-N-Out burger is much better.  Strictly looking at the burgers, they are both freshly grilled on a flat-top. I didn't taste anything special about the In-N-Out burger, although I must admit that I've only had one.  Maybe the burger flipper was having a bad day? 

In-N-Out burger:

post edited by MiamiDon - 2009/06/08 10:45:06
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/08 10:48:48 (permalink)
db1105

Why must they squeeze every bit of juice out of their burgers? The animals is dead already, they should let it cook in peace.

chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/08 11:19:09 (permalink)
Dry burgers, good fries!
sk bob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/08 16:48:29 (permalink)
MD, that in-n-out burger looks like it doesn't even fit the bun unless it all slid to the bottom of that thing they give it to you in.
the one I stopped at in Lakeland cooked the fries pretty good, only a few limp ones.
to my taste I personnally like limp fresh cut FF's
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/08 23:30:12 (permalink)
MD - In/Out..the picture doesn't look any different than Steak N Shake to me.  But lots of posters love them.  Have to try one for myself.... 

Hey, do you remember when Steak N Shake first came to the Miami area and Neil Rogers (radio personality to those of you out there who do not know him) raved about them.  There were lines of people waiting to try them. 

Ambiance of a gas station..I love it.  Well put.  I do like 5 Guys fries.  I can just make a meal of those with a lot of catsup and a coke.  I don't mind that they are limp.  Like I said, they will be the best fries in our neck of the woods.  

I like to make my own, but twice frying is a pain.  But, it's the only way at home. 

Hey where are you sitting down to a great char burger and legitimate fries in Miami.... ___________________________________Thanks!  I wonder if its that place (bar) that's has been there for like 50 years up near Perrine.  I forget the name.... 
post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/06/08 23:33:49
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/09 08:53:03 (permalink)
Yeah, I used to listen to Neil Rogers back then.  There's only one Steak 'n Shake left in Miami-Dade county, and it's out in strip mall hell at Kendall Drive and SW 157th Avenue.  There was one in Hialeah next to the Palmetto until last year, but it closed.

Do you mean the Keg South on US-1 and about SW 104th Street?

A lot of bars take pride in serving a pretty good burger, but every one that I've been in serves food-service fries.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/09 09:03:40 (permalink)
sk bob

MD, that in-n-out burger looks like it doesn't even fit the bun unless it all slid to the bottom of that thing they give it to you in.
the one I stopped at in Lakeland cooked the fries pretty good, only a few limp ones.
to my taste I personnally like limp fresh cut FF's

SK, don't get me wrong, I don't hate the 5 Guys fries.  They do have a pretty good flavor.  I just think that they would be better if cooked and served right.
BTW, the In-N-Out fries that I had the one time were pretty poor.  Not as good as a typical serving at a McDonald's.  Maybe it was just the luck of the draw, and I was there at the wrong time, but ellen4641, who lived out there, agrees.  They look better in the photo than in real life.  The sandwich was OK.  The lettuce and tomato were fresh.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/09 09:46:45 (permalink)
Do you think the issue with the fries is the closed bag?

I got mine and the bag was open and the fries were not limp. Sometimes when we get bagels and they are hot, if you leave the bag closed they will get mushy from steaming themselves.

I thought they were some of the best fries I have had in a while. It is getting harder and harder to find good fries around these parts.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/09 10:12:37 (permalink)
Tony Bad

Do you think the issue with the fries is the closed bag?

I got mine and the bag was open and the fries were not limp. Sometimes when we get bagels and they are hot, if you leave the bag closed they will get mushy from steaming themselves.

I thought they were some of the best fries I have had in a while. It is getting harder and harder to find good fries around these parts.

Yes.  Double-frying at low/high temps would be better, too.  You put almost anything with moisture out of a fryer, etc, right into a sealed container, and it will steam a bit.
Billfish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 397
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/09 16:56:19 (permalink)
   The bag is absolutely what does the damage to the 5Guys fries.Anything more than about 30 seconds in the bag and those fries are beyond repair.If you have to drive home or back to the shop with them they are going to suffer and possibly be ruined.
   But they do do the double frying there.If you look behind the counter they have a rack of par-fried fries portions.When fries are ordered,they toss them in the oil for the second fry session.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/09 17:10:11 (permalink)
Living in Oklahoma-i NEVER buy chain burgers--there is just no way for them to deliver the burger available in hundreds of locals burger joints.I, and a lot of my neighbors-get popcorn chicken-drinks and root beer floats at Sonic-and there are no 5Guys---but judging by what i read here--if i am on the road and see a 5Guys--i will give it shot over most of the chain burgers out there.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/09 20:58:32 (permalink)
MD - No, it's not Keg South.  I'll try to find it...
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/09 21:58:44 (permalink)
MiamiDon

SK, don't get me wrong, I don't hate the 5 Guys fries.  They do have a pretty good flavor.  I just think that they would be better if cooked and served right.
BTW, the In-N-Out fries that I had the one time were pretty poor.  Not as good as a typical serving at a McDonald's.  Maybe it was just the luck of the draw, and I was there at the wrong time, but ellen4641, who lived out there, agrees.  They look better in the photo than in real life.  The sandwich was OK.  The lettuce and tomato were fresh.

Ellen4641 is HERE and weighing in !
YES, that is correct, I certainly DO agree that IN and OUT'S fries were like SAWDUST...
about the worst ones I ever had in my 50 years!  Just my humble opinion, of course..
 I HATED them....

I don't exactly love the fries at 5 Guys, as I do find them a little limp.. but I always get them, out of habit..
(what's a burger without fries, right?!?)
I will try leaving the brown bag OPEN next time , Tony!

My sentiments EXACTLY , DON, regarding your assessment of the IN and Out Burger...
the sandwich was just "okay".... yes, their lettuce and tomato were very FRESH, and they seem to keep harping on that; meanwhile the beef patty was VERY small; even SK Bob was wondering "Where's the BEEF?!? Did it slide down?" .. any time I got a burger there, it was tons of thick lettuce, and hardly and meat...
I found the "animal style" burger (not on the menu) more tasty, due to the grilled onions..

And regarding FIVE GUYS, I feel it's a decent burger, and I appreciate it for what it IS : a good extra FRESH burger.... ....  at that some locations ARE better (and juicier) than others...
for instance, I find the Somers Point, NJ burger  too DRY, but the Absecon and Mays Landing location are well done, but still juicy...(not an oxymoron, in this case, believe it or not)

I still prefer charbroiled burgers the best, though..
Just like you do, DONNIE!

rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/10 06:30:06 (permalink)
I said it before and I'll say again, I've never had a bad Five Guys experience. Never once had a burger that was dry, even though cooked "well done".

I do agree though that unless you are eating in, the fries will go down hill quickly, that's why I always eat in. There are no fast food fries that can touch Five Guys if eaten just out of the fryer or very soon after. I'd put them up against most Mom and Pop joints fresh from the fryer!

Granted I've only eaten at the original Five Guys and two or three others in and around the DC Metro area. So I can only speak from my limited experience, once they went big time, there is no doubt like all larger chains some stores will be better then others.

Now as for In and Out, totally different class of burger and frys than Five Guys and I love them both equally. There is one comparison......you should always get a Double Double or the double burger at Five Guys.

Folks in the know, like Ellen said will always order their Double Double Animal Style, and their frys well done. I had my first Double Double 29 years ago and I still crave them to this day, a Double Double Animal Style, frys well done and a Chocolate shake....to me makes the quintessential California Drive Through experience.
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/10 08:07:39 (permalink)
They just put one of these about an hour away from me in Columbus in the Polaris area. So far the reviews have been pretty good and I have been wanting to try them, just haven't had the chance to make it up there quite yet.

I was in DC last summer and almost had a chance to get 5 Guys at the first one but just couldn't make the timing work. Will be going back this summer and will try hard to make it this time so I can at least say I ate at the original.
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/12 08:04:05 (permalink)
Soccer862923

They just put one of these about an hour away from me in Columbus in the Polaris area. So far the reviews have been pretty good and I have been wanting to try them, just haven't had the chance to make it up there quite yet.

I was in DC last summer and almost had a chance to get 5 Guys at the first one but just couldn't make the timing work. Will be going back this summer and will try hard to make it this time so I can at least say I ate at the original.

Sorry to say, but the original location in Arlington - Glebe Rd & Columbia Pike - is no longer there.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/12 08:25:08 (permalink)
douginvirginia

Soccer862923

Sorry to say, but the original location in Arlington - Glebe Rd & Columbia Pike - is no longer there.

Really Doug...I hadn't heard that. Bummer.....I believe the second location is still open in Old Town Alexandria...that was always my favorite anyway.
badbyron722
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/18 10:36:25 (permalink)
Going to try Five Guys for the 1st time this afternoon.Opinion will be forthcoming.
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/18 12:47:55 (permalink)
We tried the one in Sarasota this week; all three of us agreed that the burgers and fries were delicious. Burger juicy, toppings fresh, fries cooked to perfection.  And you can have all the burger toppings you want. For a chain, I think these guys do pretty good!
badbyron722
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/18 20:33:15 (permalink)
Went to Five Guys in Shelby,N.C. today and I was impressed. Burger was very good.I got the bacon cheeseburger with mayo,lettuce,tomato,onion,mushroom & jalapeno.Fries were a little salty,but not at all bad.Family of four ate for $31.00. Took pics but havent figured out yet how to post to message.Will go again,and its about 45 minutes away.
ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 1037
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/20 16:39:03 (permalink)
When I eat at Five Guys I dump the fries out of the bag and into one of those cardboard boats they have for the peanuts.  They don't get soggy and it makes it easier to sprinkle with the malt vinegar.
ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 1037
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/20 16:41:25 (permalink)
I see I just made "cheeseburger"  Appropriate thread for that!
harleytexas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/21 00:40:48 (permalink)
Went there with my wife, we give the burgers at best 7/10 and the fries 10/10. Not bad, but not worth the hype. Not a place we'll go out of our way to go to.
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 643
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/21 07:36:08 (permalink)
ChrisOC

When I eat at Five Guys I dump the fries out of the bag and into one of those cardboard boats they have for the peanuts.  They don't get soggy and it makes it easier to sprinkle with the malt vinegar.

Our 5 Guys here (we have two in Naples) don't do the cardboard box, so you're forced to eat the peanuts on the table top.  Sounds like a great idea for the fries though, especially if you do the malt vinegar!

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
hft39465
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/28 19:45:10 (permalink)
I have to say folks: I tried my first Five Guys Burger, last week while visiting my son in Raleigh NC. The Burgers were good, but the fries were some of the best I have ever had. We did open the bag quickly,so they had no time to steam. This appeared to be a newly opened location and was busy.

ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/28 19:55:55 (permalink)
I turned my bf on to Five Guys...
and now he takes his mom and dad (ages 86 and 90) there on almost a weekly basis!
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/28 20:43:33 (permalink)
Hard to match their fries...

Anyone had better fries from a fast food chain? 

What would be great for me is a 5 Guys rignt near a Sonic.  Great drinks and great fries...Hold the burger.  
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/28 21:34:59 (permalink)
Baah Ben
What would be great for me is a 5 Guys rignt near a Sonic.  Great drinks and great fries...Hold the burger.  

Somers Point, NJ (Atlantic City area) .......where your DREAMS are going to come TRUE !!
There is a Five Guys in the Shop Rite shopping center, along with newspaper ads declaring that "SONIC is coming to Somers Point!"

Give the burger at Five Guys another chance, as you only had one bite of your friends burger that time..
and remember that certain locations are juicier than others...(yes, even for "well done" burgers)

I really like the onion rings at Sonic !

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1