5 Guys

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/29 00:22:50 (permalink)
Onion rings at Sonic are not bad.  When 5 Guys opens in Port Orange, I will try the burger again.  Hey, I'm going to ask them to make it medium rare..All they can say is no.

Gotta go on 5 Guy's site and see if there is an update as to when they are coming to Port Orange.....
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/29 07:25:55 (permalink)
A fourth Five Guys is opening in this county, in Coral Gables across from the University of Miami on South Dixie Highway. 
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/29 07:45:48 (permalink)
rebeltruce

douginvirginia

Soccer862923

They just put one of these about an hour away from me in Columbus in the Polaris area. So far the reviews have been pretty good and I have been wanting to try them, just haven't had the chance to make it up there quite yet.

I was in DC last summer and almost had a chance to get 5 Guys at the first one but just couldn't make the timing work. Will be going back this summer and will try hard to make it this time so I can at least say I ate at the original.

Sorry to say, but the original location in Arlington - Glebe Rd & Columbia Pike - is no longer there.

Really Doug...I hadn't heard that. Bummer.....I believe the second location is still open in Old Town Alexandria...that was always my favorite anyway.

Well dang nab it then! Oh well so long as I can give it a try at "one" of the originials I will be happy.
cameron074
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/29 09:33:04 (permalink)
The most recent time I was at the Parsippany NJ location I ordered a bacon cheeseburger. It was the first time the burgers hadn't been well done. It was odd, but I like them better the usual "well-done" style.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/06/29 11:22:57 (permalink)
Baah Ben

When 5 Guys opens in Port Orange, I will try the burger again. 

Cool !!!

Tony White
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/06 08:16:38 (permalink)
Ben Kingston NY now has a Five Guys a Sonic and a Remodeled Shoprite all on RT. 9W.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4586
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/06 08:53:58 (permalink)
maybe I can take bets on being the farthest from an operating 5 guys, clocking in at 300 miles.
Jennie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/08 12:36:15 (permalink)
My husband loves their bacon cheeseburger, with lettuce, tomato, mayo, and jalapenos.  The decor is rather severe, I agree. The walls of our local (just opened) Five Guys are covered with self-promoting pat-self-on-the-back reviews in large poster frames.  I guess it gives you something to read while you wait. lol
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 749
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/08 16:40:20 (permalink)
Tony White

Ben Kingston NY now has a Five Guys a Sonic and a Remodeled Shoprite all on RT. 9W.

Road trip time!

<< from Middletown Tony....
flyguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/08 17:56:46 (permalink)
My MIL loves them so we get them for us and us when in her town.  I always load up on their free peanuts too.  Agree that an order of fries can feed two easily.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/09 06:51:17 (permalink)
ChrisOC

When I eat at Five Guys I dump the fries out of the bag and into one of those cardboard boats they have for the peanuts.  They don't get soggy and it makes it easier to sprinkle with the malt vinegar.

Just had lunch at my local Five Guys here in Culpeper, Va. As usual had an excellent Bacon Cheeseburger and Cajun fries!

I noticed that they've added the little cardboard boats to the peanut boxes and took your suggestion, all I can say is what a great idea!!! Although I was able to fill the boat five times with fries!!!

It's now become my quest to someday be able to finish every single fry in a small order of Five Guys fries! I think I could do it if I only ordered a little Bacon Cheesburger, but that'll never happen!!

It's good to have goals....ILMAO!
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/10 19:52:10 (permalink)
Broke my 5Guys cherry today!  Dragged my mom up to Kingston to finally see if all the hype is just, well, hype!  Have to say, walking in the door, I knew that it is ALL true - if not better! To be hit with the smell of good ground beef being properly cooked on a griddle, instantly comfirmed everything. Not to mention the stacks and stacks of real Idaho spuds all over the place, waiting to be sliced and fried.

Got a 'regular' cheeseburger with grilled onions.  All I can say is: MMMMMMMMMMMM.... The onions were nicely diced into small bits, and properly caramelized. The cheese properly melted. AND a perfectly cooked, juicy burger that melts in your mouth - what more one want out of life?  This: incredible, properly hand cut fries!
When one is talking about chains or whatever kind, one usually has to say, "Well, for a chain, there aren't bad", or "Not bad for a chain", etc, etc..Well.....5Guys fries just might be some OF THE BEST DAMN FRIES ANYWHERE. I would be very hard pressed to think how fries could be better - nicely hand cut, fried to perfection - the little ends JUST crunchy enough, and the regular cuts molten inside.  As all have said, a 'regular' order is enough for two, and yes, you do eat every last one up!

While I was waiting for my order - yes another great thing about 5G - everything is cooked to order, happened to start chatting to the manager and his (I guess) co-manager.  Both were very impressed we drove an hour to their place. Both confirmed they were actively looking for Orange Co locations, and even asked if I knew of suitable places in Middletown! I also happened to mention RF, and then started talking about their hot dogs...which led to talking about the legendary NJ Hot Dog Tour - the co-manager being from NJ, we started swapping all the places we both knew. WELL - would u believe they actually comped me one of their bacon cheese dogs? Pretty good too - a HN kosher dog, sliced and cooked flat - and laid on top of the bacon and cheese - and yes, cooked fresh!

All in all, 5Guys belies the maxim that all chains are evil - when done right, some of them canbe VERY excellent!

does that look like any chain burger you have ever seen?

and oh yes, we had got there fairly early - 1145 or so - by the time we left they had a line out the door...and the lot of the BK across the road was 3/4 empty!
post edited by ConeyIslandLou - 2009/07/10 19:53:22
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2164
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/10 22:35:15 (permalink)
Lou, you are so right. A lot of people up in Kingston probably don't even know Five Guys is a chain. Plus the fact that most of Five Guy's food is fresh, and not 'massaged' in a factory, then frozen and shipped to restaurants. The truth is that any restauranteur can do the same thing. The only thing stopping him now is trade dress and trademark hassles. But, even most restauranteurs at that price point now use frozen pattties and frozen fries.

Since they are using fresh food, the store manager/franchisee does have to keep on top of the staff to make they cook food correctly.

I think a lot of Five Guy's success is their Shtick. Bu what they are doing is not rocket science.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/11 00:30:27 (permalink)
No, Lou, it sure doesn't look like any fast food burger that I've ever seen. It sure looks good, though, and now I've gotta try one. I foresee a drive to Oak Park ( western suburbs ) in my immediate future. 
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/11 16:36:40 (permalink)
David_NYC

Lou, you are so right. A lot of people up in Kingston probably don't even know Five Guys is a chain. Plus the fact that most of Five Guy's food is fresh, and not 'massaged' in a factory, then frozen and shipped to restaurants. The truth is that any restauranteur can do the same thing. The only thing stopping him now is trade dress and trademark hassles. But, even most restauranteurs at that price point now use frozen pattties and frozen fries.

Since they are using fresh food, the store manager/franchisee does have to keep on top of the staff to make they cook food correctly.

I think a lot of Five Guy's success is their Shtick. Bu what they are doing is not rocket science.

Actually, their schtick is that they have no schtick!  John the manager made a point of telling me that they do ZERO advertising, that they basically depend on word of mouth.  They patiently wait for the locals to try them out, and then vote for them in all the local 'best of' contests in the local paper.

One of the things that most 'disguises' them as a chain, is their policy of using already existing space - instead of demolishing perfectly good buildings, so they might build a 'signature store', they simply find a suitable space and convert it - the Kingston store used to be an optical store, the manager said they do a lot of old Blockbuster/ Hollywood Video spaces - they are generally stand alone spots that  have parking, and are just about the right size.  Plus using existing space saves both the comapny and franchisee money. i'll bet it doesn't take them more than three-four months MAX for then to convert a place into a store...

And also BTW  - ALL of Five Guys food  is fresh - they make a big point on the website how all locations have ZERO freezers - only coolers. The only thing frozen there is the ice for the Coke dispenser....
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/11 16:46:28 (permalink)
bill voss

maybe I can take bets on being the farthest from an operating 5 guys, clocking in at 300 miles.

OH.. you are SO NOT missing anything.....
ICK..........

Now, THIS is a burger....... straight from Chubby's........
Notice how its not all dried up, and had all the juices squished out of it?>..
I know its a lousy photo.....
Gimmee a real burger please, not one that been beaten to death with a spatula..

post edited by roossy90 - 2009/07/11 18:59:19
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/11 17:39:07 (permalink)
Seems to me that if the powers that be at Five Guys ever see that picture of one of their burgers the guy running the place will be out of a job. It looks medium rare, and not flattened to death by a 700-pound guy leaning on the meat with a spatula
roossy90
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/11 18:58:13 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Seems to me that if the powers that be at Five Guys ever see that picture of one of their burgers the guy running the place will be out of a job. It looks medium rare, and not flattened to death by a 700-pound guy leaning on the meat with a spatula

That pic above is NOT a Five Guys burger............After all it has substance to it.......

Yannooooo........thinking here, Steak and Shake burgers and Five Guys burgers are very similar in look and texture..... dry mealy meat, and to quote the above by Mr. H.... trampled and sat on by the fat lady at the circus....

I will not step foot in another Five guys, so I cannot post a pic of one.... and I dont care to see one... One time was more than enough.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/11 19:16:34 (permalink)
roossy90

Michael Hoffman

That pic above is NOT a Five Guys burger............After all it has substance to it.......

Yannooooo........thinking here, Steak and Shake burgers and Five Guys burgers are very similar in look and texture..... dry mealy meat, and to quote the above by Mr. H.... trampled and sat on by the fat lady at the circus....

I will not step foot in another Five guys, so I cannot post a pic of one.... and I dont care to see one... One time was more than enough.

Oh, no. I was referring to the photo in the post from ConeyislandLou, not the ones from Chubby's in your post.

roossy90
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/11 19:56:35 (permalink)
Otay...... Yes,  you are correct about that........
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3710
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/11 20:30:45 (permalink)
Well, if one's idea of a great hamburger is one that is pounded to death  and well done, I would say that this is a great fast food place for you.  

[link=http://www.smileycentral.com/dl/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb095_ZJxdm088YYUS&utm_id=7923][/link]
sk bob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/14 20:18:40 (permalink)
you can't compare S&S to 5Guys.
to get almost the same amount of meat at S&S you have to get a triple. anything less than a triple at S&S, you might as well go to Krystals
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3997
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/15 11:02:22 (permalink)
Readers of this and the other Five Guys threads should be aware that most of the "haters" have, in fact, never eaten at a Five Guys.

I have been enjoying their burgers since the Reagan Administration and will continue to do so.

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3997
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/15 11:06:18 (permalink)
Actually, the second Five Guys location is at the SE corner of Beauregard and King in Alexandria.  It was the first to offer in-store seating.  The Old Town location opened years later.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15183
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/15 11:15:06 (permalink)
SK Bob makes a good point. Comparing 5 Guys to "thin-Patti" Burgers like S & S or IN n OUT or White Castle is really not a reasonable comparison (except for your personal choice of thin vs thick!)

I like them all, and add several other places to my "acceptable or better" Burger list.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
5 Guys - Port Orange, FL "The Pavillon" 2009/07/15 11:38:04 (permalink)
Ok, who's buying?  SK?  Papa John?  Me?

Joe - You need to fly down for the grand opening....Forget business.  This is more important.

Coming soon..Corner of Williamson and Taylor Rds.............That new shopping center right off the I-95 exit.

I will try the bacon cheeseburger and we can probably split one large fry...GET READY!
post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/07/15 11:40:04
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4512
Re:5 Guys - Port Orange, FL "The Pavillon" 2009/07/15 12:03:20 (permalink)
I was just wondering why there hasn't been a Five Guys thread started recently.
Hey, Are you inviting me because you ran out of Blackie's Hot Pepper Relish?

BTW, Do you have to drive by The Brickyard on your way to Five Guys?

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/15 12:04:18 (permalink)
This past weekend, I finally got a chance to eat at Five Guys ( on Lake St. in Oak Park IL. ) I had a bacon cheeseburger, and it was pretty tasty. Much better than the "Alpo on a bun" that you find at McDonald's and Burger King. Their fries are good too. Although I did enjoy my meal, I feel that their burgers are a bit overrated; they didn't quite live up to all the hype that they've recieved. I feel the same about Fatburger. It's very good for a fast food hamburger, but not as special as the hype would have you believe. If I were ever to get back to the West Coast ( unlikely, unfortunately ), I would probably find that the same thing applies to In N Out's burger.          
post edited by nocarolina - 2009/07/15 12:06:58
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/07/15 16:52:19 (permalink)
I haven't looked at the previous two pages to see if this has been posted yet or not, but there is a Five Guys stand tucked behind a corner in the US Airways terminal at Reagan National Airport in DC, *and* I don't think their prices are any higher than they are normally (a dollar more, tops).  I had a burger and soda there Friday night for $6!  And I normally pay a lot more for much much worse food in an airport.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
Re:5 Guys - Port Orange, FL "The Pavillon" 2009/07/15 23:37:24 (permalink)
I think people are just starting to discover 5 Guys.... thanks to SK. 

Have not been to the Brickyard in a long time.....My new go to place is  BoneFish Grill.

I still have some Blackies.....Thanks.  I am awaiting Jeff Zeider's BBQ sauce shipment.....It's terrific.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1