5 Guys

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/09/28 13:57:48 (permalink)

Recently I went to the location in Staunton, Virginia, at 1013 Richmond Avenue (US 250).  It was my first time to one; the only drawback was what I thought was loud music playing over the loudspeaker.  The food came in a brown bag, not on a tray like at McDonald's.  Oh, and a regular hamburger has 2 patties, and I thought the fries were a little overdone, like they soak them in some ingredients before deep-frying them.  All in all, it was worth a stop, and I will definitely go back; they're building one south of me in West Chester; IIRC it's on Tylersville Road (I-75 Exit 22; head east).

When you say "overdone", do you mean that they were too crisp?
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2164
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/09/28 15:38:53 (permalink)
I understand that Five Guys twice fries the potatoes, both times in oil. They have to be allowed to cool before frying the second time.

Considering my own experiences with Five Guys, I believe there will be some franchised locations that don't always cook the food properly. 

Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2009/10/03 02:07:11 (permalink)
MiamiDon

When you say "overdone", do you mean that they [the fries] were too crisp?

Not so much that as they had a crisp flavored coating surrounding them.  They're more sophisticated than the ones I'm used to at McDonald's, which are plain (or, as I like to put it, simple).

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4121
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/01/09 10:45:44 (permalink)
Five Guys has finally opened a store in Plano, only 10 miles of where we live and along a route we travel often. 

After leaving McLean, VA back in 2005, happy days are here again! 
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/01/09 19:04:49 (permalink)
They are popping up like weeds around here.  I wonder whether there is enough demand for burgers at their price point with counter-only service.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15286
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/01/09 19:24:19 (permalink)
Sometimes the franchising agreements  are so 'reasonable' that folks toss market-share research out the window in order to flood the market in certain locations. We now have two 5 Guys within two miles of each other on the Indiana side of Louisville. Maybe they both will take hold, but my gut feeling is that the smaller one, in a strip mall with lousey (limited) parking available, will fold within a year. These are the only 5 Guys outlets in So Indiana that I am aware of.
David_NYC
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/01/09 21:33:35 (permalink)
There are now 29 Five Guys either open or under construction within a 25 mile radius of Times Square. In March 2009, they opened their 400 store, and their web site says 200 more will open in 2010. Their franchising page says a requirement now is "Ability to purchase the rights to open five (5) or more locations". They almost start to sound like Dunkin Donuts, which is not in the business of selling donuts but in the business of selling franchises.
cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1628
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/01/10 09:24:14 (permalink)
From the one that opened by us, it seems that maintaining quality control is already an issue.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/01/11 12:38:52 (permalink)
I hate it when a good thing gets effed up!
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/01/21 21:16:44 (permalink)
I emailed Five Guys corporate for an approximate date of the opening if the Port Orange,FL store would be.
the only reply I got was Spring 2010. 
stevep
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/01/30 00:00:28 (permalink)
They just opened a Five Guys here in Worcester and it's nothing special IMO. Overpriced and mediocre IMO.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10289
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/02/01 03:25:12 (permalink)
stevep

They just opened a Five Guys here in Worcester and it's nothing special IMO. Overpriced and mediocre IMO.

I Agree-- You just described McDonalds. Point being, if you have major bucks for Marketing, you can sell refrigerators to Eskomos----- 5 Guys Burgers and Fries are tasty, BUT it's overpriced and not worth standing in line for. I hope their Corp Office is monitoring this site. I make a better burger at Casa de Foodbme for far less $$ and greater flavor!!
cameron074
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/02/01 09:10:59 (permalink)
Foodbme

stevep

I Agree-- You just described McDonalds. Point being, if you have major bucks for Marketing, you can sell refrigerators to Eskomos----- 5 Guys Burgers and Fries are tasty, BUT it's overpriced and not worth standing in line for. I hope their Corp Office is monitoring this site. I make a better burger at Casa de Foodbme for far less $$ and greater flavor!!

Lol, not worth standing in line for? Maybe you wouldn't stand in line, but I've got 2 good legs and enjoy their burgers. As soon as you open a chain of Casa de Foodbmes let me know
harleytexas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/02/07 23:39:52 (permalink)
I went to Mighty Fine Burgers in Austin and they beat Five Guys hands down.
IntelligentT82
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/02/08 18:23:28 (permalink)
I have to admit, Mighty Fine Burgers kinda looks good...see below

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/02/09 17:20:41 (permalink)
looks OK,just like a 5 Guys, but what did it taste like?
Billfish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 397
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/02/11 17:06:46 (permalink)
   Such a sloppy looking burger.Looks like it was put together by a 5th grader.Much like the 5 guys burger.For what you pay,you would think somebody would take care to make it look appetizing.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3736
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/02/11 17:30:55 (permalink)
Take away  the lettuce,  that pink stufff and the huge slices of onions before I would  even  try it.  Do they do them medium rare?
LeadBelly
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/02/13 00:32:45 (permalink)
Greymo

Take away  the lettuce,  that pink stufff and the huge slices of onions before I would  even  try it.  Do they do them medium rare?

Around here they only come in one temp and that's no pink, cooked all the way. 

Five Guys is like any chain. It all depends on the manager making sure the employees cook to the method. When done well, its a pretty decent burger and fries. When done badly, its just not worth the extra over cheaper fast food. At the place near here it good and my favorite is actually the hot dog with just bacon and fries. Tastes pretty good and with a soda somewhere around 9 bucks . 

Here's my problem. Everything is wrapped to go in a paper bag which is okay. But they place the sandwich in the bottom of the bag with a cup of fries on top of that and an extra load of fries tossed in loose on top of that and capped off with a small pile of napkins. Its just annoying that you have to dig through a pile of fries to get out the sandwich. 

Allan
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/02/13 07:48:23 (permalink)
They take no care in the food presentation. Just wrap it tight and cram it in a bag. Even the way they assemble the Hamburger is a mess. If they just put a little attention to detail the place would be excellent. The atmosphere in the place is loud and unorganized. They try to keep up with the mess but the tables can be greasy with crap all over the floor including peanut shells. Kind of like a cafeteria on crack. Eating a Burger from 5 Guys in your car really could not be done. And when you take it home it becomes a soggy smashed mess. There is no intimacy and conversation with others is not comfortable. Getting up to refill a drink or even pick up your order is difficult as the space between the tables is limited. If you just want to stuff your face with a pretty good burger elbow to elbow in a sterile looking place then you will like it. You will never feel comfortable or relaxed in this place. And I think in the long run it will take its toll....Russ
David_NYC
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/02/13 12:48:09 (permalink)
Five Guys is heavy on shtick. I have read that the first Five Guys was a take-out place with no tables. For diners who are going to eat at the restaurant, I don't know why Five Guys still only uses take-out packaging.  If you order french fries at Nathan's Coney Island, they will serve you the freshly peeled and fried potatoes in a coated paper food tray. A burger will be served in a coated paper deli carton. They serve the meal on a plastic tray, without having the fries pounding the burger flat.

I think Five Guys can serve the burger and fries in better packaging for dine-in customers. Eventually their shtick will get old and people will get fed up with eating a take-out burger in a dine-in restaurant.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10289
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/02/13 18:28:49 (permalink)
I've been to the one near my house twice. 1st time had a Burger. Like Lead Belly above, next trip, I tried one of their Hot Dogs with Grilled Onions and Mustard. It was Very Good IMHO! I liked it better than the Burger. Anyone know where they get their Dogs?

Today, I went to a Convenience Store about 2 blocks away from 5 Guys. You could smell the onions cookin'. Smelled pretty good!
post edited by Foodbme - 2010/02/13 18:31:44
David_NYC
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/02/14 10:23:30 (permalink)
Foodbme 
Anyone know where they get their Dogs? 

It has been widely reported that, on the east coast at least, Five Guys is using a Hebrew National Beef frankfurter.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/02/14 15:38:45 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

They take no care in the food presentation. Just wrap it tight and cram it in a bag. Even the way they assemble the Hamburger is a mess. If they just put a little attention to detail the place would be excellent. The atmosphere in the place is loud and unorganized. They try to keep up with the mess but the tables can be greasy with crap all over the floor including peanut shells. Kind of like a cafeteria on crack. Eating a Burger from 5 Guys in your car really could not be done. And when you take it home it becomes a soggy smashed mess. There is no intimacy and conversation with others is not comfortable. Getting up to refill a drink or even pick up your order is difficult as the space between the tables is limited. If you just want to stuff your face with a pretty good burger elbow to elbow in a sterile looking place then you will like it. You will never feel comfortable or relaxed in this place. And I think in the long run it will take its toll....Russ

Yes! Yes! Yes!  From the bagging, to the ambiance, to the tight space, I agree with you on all points.  On their own, the burgers and fries are decent, but they do their damnedest to make the whole experience unpleasant, it seems.

Not to mention that, around here at least, they specialize in locations with very limited (or costly) parking.
BelRose
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
Re:5 Guys 2010/04/19 16:40:58 (permalink)
I went to one of the original 5 Guys for the first time in the early 90’s (it was just 2 miles from my old apartment), I had been hearing about how great it was supposed to be, and left wondering why.  While I think that at its best it was better than most fast food places, but it never was very good and franchising certainly has not helped matters.  There are just too many places serving good burgers and fries to waste my time with these overcooked hockey pucks and limp fries.
To answer the above question: The original 5 Guys always used Hebrew National (and advertised it as such on the menu), I am not sure what they use now.
post edited by BelRose - 2010/04/19 16:43:38
db1105
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/04/26 22:09:10 (permalink)
I was about to give 5 Guys another shot. When I walked into the store and saw them squeezing on the burger, then looked at what they charged for that burger, I turned and walked out the door. Thankfully Capriotti's was 2 doors down and I got a cheesesteak for 75 cents more than the burger. One bite and I knew I made the right decision.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/04/27 15:44:34 (permalink)
See, the downtown location in Columbia does such a nice job and they're all really friendly.  Maybe it depends on who has your franchise?
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1074
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/05/03 12:18:51 (permalink)
Still haven't tried the 5 Guys across from the Alamo Quarry marketplace in San Antonio.
Just haven't gotten to that side of town. Now the EZ's Brick Oven and Grill over in the Quarry,across from 5 Guys is good. They have a bean burger,with guacamole,fritos,refried beans and other stuff on it,and now a fish sandwich as well.they are a local SA chain, but good.there's room to move between tables, the place is painted and decorated,and clean.
You can get if you want a half and half, which is half fries and onion rings. They also serve
pizza and salads,and you can get chicken too, if your not into burgers. They have a website
with some photos of their burgers.I don't recall their burgers being greasy or anything. My late father took me to the one next to Book Stop, on Brees and North New Braunfels in Alamo Heights. That was back in the late 1980s,early 90s. If we were hungery,we stop there when at the bookstore.
Bunsen Burgers on Walzem is good,fresh homade buns and fries, the burgers had a good flavour and don't recall them being mashed to pieces. Haven't tried big Bob's Burgers yet on Harry Wurzbach.
I think sometimes with places, it just depends on who runs it. There are franchises where they do take care to be as faithful as they can to the product, and other places just don't care.
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 689
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2010/07/03 23:14:10 (permalink)
5 Guys is pretty good, never had a problem. 
mjambro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
Re:5 Guys 2010/07/04 07:07:47 (permalink)
While there are places that serve equal-to-better burgers (but certainly NOT at competitive fast food chains, with the exception of Larkburger), I question the claim that there are many places that serve equal-to-better fries.  While we have a few places in RI that serve truly fresh cut fries, 99+% of places across the country tend to serve a frozen item that can only be fair vs a fresh cut.

Along that line, I was very disappointed during a recent trip to the Denver area earlier this year where several places claimed to serve fresh cut fries and chips, but all resembled frozen items.  At best, they may have been refrigerated potato products, but none tasted as if they were cut & fried on the premises. 

Is someone wholesaling such products under a "fresh Cut"  trade name or are these places simply misusing the term (bait and switch)?  One good thing about so many places serving frozen items is that I've been able to cut fries out of 99% of my meals out.   They are not worth the cost / calories, tasting more like fried cardboard than something eatable. 
Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1