The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

5 Guys

Change Page: < 1234567 | Showing page 7 of 7, messages 181 to 197 of 197
ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
Re:5 Guys Sun, 07/4/10 10:08 AM (permalink)
We took a short trip to Lakeland, Fl recently and tried 5 Guys for the first time. We both had bacon cheeseburgers with various toppings and split a large order of fries. There was way two much food for my wife and I. The single patty version of the burger and the small fries would have been plenty. We took the food back to our hotel which was a couple blocks away and the short trip didn't seem to hurt the food. I also enjoyed the in the shell peanuts while waiting. There was also a sign stating where today's potatoes were from. All in all a very good experience and a very tasty burger.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
    Re:5 Guys Sun, 07/4/10 11:25 AM (permalink)
    ces1948

We took a short trip to Lakeland, Fl recently and tried 5 Guys for the first time. We both had bacon cheeseburgers with various toppings and split a large order of fries. There was way two much food for my wife and I. The single patty version of the burger and the small fries would have been plenty. We took the food back to our hotel which was a couple blocks away and the short trip didn't seem to hurt the food. I also enjoyed the in the shell peanuts while waiting. There was also a sign stating where today's potatoes were from. All in all a very good experience and a very tasty burger.

They must have had an off day

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
      Re:5 Guys Sun, 07/4/10 12:10 PM (permalink)
      ces1948

We took a short trip to Lakeland, Fl recently and tried 5 Guys for the first time. We both had bacon cheeseburgers with various toppings and split a large order of fries. There was way two much food for my wife and I. The single patty version of the burger and the small fries would have been plenty. 

We've learned to share a small order of fries and if you and your spouse can agree on toppings, they will cut the burger in half (it's an entry on their register).  Otherwise, it can be way too much food.

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
        Re:5 Guys Tue, 03/8/11 11:02 AM (permalink)
        This chain is coming to Memphis in a couple of months.  What is the best thing to try first?

Ralph Melton

Re:5 Guys Tue, 03/8/11 12:48 PM (permalink)
          susanll

This chain is coming to Memphis in a couple of months.  What is the best thing to try first?

This question doesn't fit well with Five Guys; the menu is pretty simple. They have burgers (options: one or two patties, cheese, bacon), hot dogs in a few varieties, and regular or Cajun fries. You can cover most of the menu in one meal.

Having said that, I'll try to answer your question directly. My own standard order is a Little Cheeseburger ("little" = one patty), and a regular Cajun fries. The servings of fries are pretty generous; even a regular is more fries than I really want for myself.

geez70

• Total Posts: 40
            Re:5 Guys Tue, 03/8/11 1:08 PM (permalink)
            ok, I guess I don't get what all the rave is about this place.  They do have a ok burger but nothing that you couldn't get anyplace else.  The fries, well they are just ok too. All the rave??????  I don't get it,  Just an expensive average burger joint..  Better places around in my opinion.

IntelligentT82

• Total Posts: 125
              Re:5 Guys Tue, 03/8/11 4:17 PM (permalink)
              geez70

ok, I guess I don't get what all the rave is about this place.  They do have a ok burger but nothing that you couldn't get anyplace else.  The fries, well they are just ok too. All the rave??????  I don't get it,  Just an expensive average burger joint..  Better places around in my opinion.

You must have went to a bad location.  Visit the DC area where it orginated and you'll get more than an average burger.

ZekeTheCat

• Total Posts: 127
                Re:5 Guys Thu, 03/10/11 8:20 AM (permalink)
                Tried a Little Burger and small fries at the 5G in Ft Wayne Indiana yesterday. The burger was very good, juicy and tasty with free toppings of your choice (although nothing is really free as the extra cost is hidden in the higher burger price). Fries had a good taste but nothing really special - but too many of them - enough to feed two people for sure. Overall I will probably eat there once in awhile but not on a regular basis - a bit too pricey for what you get. It would be nice if they would cut their fry size down to a single serving size at a lower price.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                  Re:5 Guys Sun, 05/8/11 10:30 AM (permalink)
                  I love Five Guys, but their prices are getting out of hand.   

Last trip we had two small burgers, a small fries, and a small drink.  The bill came to nearly $14.00!  Of course, the peanuts were still "free".

tkitna

• Total Posts: 620
                    Re:5 Guys Tue, 06/7/11 1:45 AM (permalink)
                    I finally got to try a 5 Guys while in New York with my son during a field trip. We had an hour before we had to board the bus and we we're starving so we took a right by Rockefeller Plaza and there she was. We both got a cheeseburger, fries, and a large coke. $30.00!!! Seriously? I couldnt believe it, but I dished it out. Maybe its just New York. The fries are awesome. I loved them and would return for an order of those alone. The burger was tasteless and the bun was stale. They're best bet is to do away with the burgers totally and just sell fries. I was disappointed.
                    <message edited by tkitna on Tue, 06/7/11 1:46 AM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                      Re:5 Guys Tue, 06/7/11 3:11 AM (permalink)
                      tkitna

I finally got to try a 5 Guys while in New York with my son during a field trip. We had an hour before we had to board the bus and we we're starving so we took a right by Rockefeller Plaza and there she was. We both got a cheeseburger, fries, and a large coke. $30.00!!! Seriously? I couldnt believe it, but I dished it out. Maybe its just New York. The fries are awesome. I loved them and would return for an order of those alone. The burger was tasteless and the bun was stale. They're best bet is to do away with the burgers totally and just sell fries. I was disappointed.

The price sounds about right especially when you add in the NYC Taxes. Going from WV to NYC will create sticker shock!

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                        Re:5 Guys Tue, 06/7/11 10:08 AM (permalink)
                        Every time we visit NYC I take a deep breath (and deep wallet) and tell myself that I am about to enter a foreign country where the dollar has just been devalued.

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
                          Re:5 Guys Wed, 06/8/11 6:32 AM (permalink)
                          MetroplexJim

Every time we visit NYC I take a deep breath (and deep wallet) and tell myself that I am about to enter a foreign country where the dollar has just been devalued.

Then don't go to London! Just got back & it seems that the current rage for pubs is to have a US style hamburger on the menu. Cheapest one I saw was going for 9 pounds (~$15). Needless to say, I had no urge to try one!

eruby

• Total Posts: 585
                            • Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            Re:5 Guys Thu, 06/9/11 9:48 AM (permalink)
                            tkitna

Stopped at the Westminster 5 Guys and picked up a take-out menu. The 2 cheeseburgers, 2 large fries and and 2 large cokes would be $25.94 plus tax. Changing the fries from large to regular would make it $21.34 plus tax.

Don't know if you got regular cheeseburgers or little cheeseburgers. The order with 2 little cheeseburgers, 2 regular fries and 2 regular cokes would be $17.94 plus tax.

When we go, we usully get a regular hamburger or cheeseburger, a regular fry and a regular soda which puts us at $9.87 - $10.47 plus tax.  The burger and fries are morethan enough for us to split (with a peanuts appetizer , but appetites vary.

Also, the regular order of fries in the Westminster location is about equall to what we got with a large order when we were in Erie, PA.

Foodbme

Re:5 Guys Thu, 06/9/11 3:47 PM (permalink)
                              For those who don't know, the regular hamburger contains 2 patties, the Small only one. For me, one patty is enough with the amount of topping offerings. The small fries are much larger than any other chain I've found. I found their Hot Dogs to be quite good.

Foodbme

Re:5 Guys Thu, 06/9/11 3:47 PM (permalink)
                                For those who don't know, the regular hamburger contains 2 patties, the Small only one. For me, one patty is enough with the amount of topping offerings. The small fries are much larger than any other chain I've found. I found their Hot Dogs to be quite good.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                                  Re:5 Guys Thu, 06/9/11 8:34 PM (permalink)
                                  cavandre
                                  Then don't go to London! Just got back & it seems that the current rage for pubs is to have a US style hamburger on the menu. Cheapest one I saw was going for 9 pounds (~$15). Needless to say, I had no urge to try one!

Not too current; last time I was in London (1973 or so) it was the "current" rage, then.

Bart

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                    Change Page: < 1234567 | Showing page 7 of 7, messages 181 to 197 of 197

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com